Contributor
pousterj
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi my name is Jamie.  I have enjoyed many of the former First Look books in the past.  Looking forward to reading this one.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone, 

My name is Mike and I live in Western Massachusetts, with my wonderful wife Donna and our dog Oscar.  I am a history buff, and look forward to reading this book about Salem and joining in in the discussion. 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Hiya, I'm the r-mod for Literature by Women and I've been in on most of the First Look groups (Sag Harbor and I aren't having an easy time of it right now, but I'll get there).  This pick sounds quite interesting, particularly given the author's background and personal connection to the subject matter.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Margot and this will be my first time, if I'm lucky. I'm retired and love the extra time I have to read all those books I couldn't get to during my working years.

I'm looking forward to reading and discussing this book.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Contributor
USwede16
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Christina. If I get a book it will be the First Look dicussion that I will be participating in. I am really excited! I was looking at what the book is about and it sounds like the type of book I will enjoy. Looking forward to discussing the book with everyone!

"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly."
Langston Hughes
Contributor
Periabd1
0 Kudos

Hello!

I'm a First Look first-timer and a huge fan of historical fiction.  I've done lots of reading on Salem so I'm quite interested in reading Katherine Howe's take on the subject.  Thanks so much to B&N for the chance to be an early reader!

Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

My name is Julie and I live in Western MA with husband, son and our four-legged family member (aka the dog).

I really enjoy historical fiction.  Having lived in MA for over 20 years and visited Salem a number of times, I am looking forward to diving into this FLS and joining in the conversation!

Thanks B&N!

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm so excited to read this book.  My book club just read The Heretic's Daughter  which is set during the same time period.

I live in NJ and love to read.  I feel lost without a book.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Julie! I live in Western MA as well. Welcome to the group. :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader 2
Sherryv
0 Kudos

Hello!

I'm a newbie to First Look. I'm Sherry from North Pole, Alaska and this book sounds like it has many of the aspects I love to read about - history, intrigue, and mystery. I'm finishing up on my library science degree next week and am looking forward to finally getting back to reading something other than textbook material. This book sounds like it will generate some great discussion!

Sherry

Frequent Contributor
RNLana
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Lana and I am a Registered Nurse, wife, and mom of 5 great kids.  I live in College Station, TX and I am excited to be part of this adventure.  This is my first First Look.  I am looking forward to great reading and the discussions.
Contributor
Word_Angler
0 Kudos

I've signed up for a book this month -- it looks like something I would like. I'm looking forward to participating in the discussion. Thanks for hosting the club this month.
Contributor
LillyAndLola
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Gwendolyn. (Lilly and Lola are the cats. Probably should change that.) I've signed up for this book and really hope to receive a copy -- I love the subject.  I live in Rhode Island, and there have been some mysterious goings on in this state's history, too.  I read HERETIC'S DAUGHTER last fall and really enjoyed it -- if "enjoy" can be applied to a subject involving so much suffering. 
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I was almost positive I had signed in here but can't find my post. Maybe I will find it when I am through writing another one. Just getting in first place at forgetfulness. That is all!:smileysurprised:

Reading is a great part of my life and I have managed alot of it on-line with Barnes and Nobles reading clubs. So delightful to get opinions and ideas for books here on Barnes and Noble. I have been with the clubs for many years since I retired and so enjoyed reading and still do.

I am Linda and dwell in Central Virginia and have my entire abundant life as I know it. This book sounds really great as far as learning about another era. Happy Reading everyone!

Inspired Contributor
mapleann
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sherryv wrote:

Hello!

I'm a newbie to First Look. I'm Sherry from North Pole, Alaska and this book sounds like it has many of the aspects I love to read about - history, intrigue, and mystery. I'm finishing up on my library science degree next week and am looking forward to finally getting back to reading something other than textbook material. This book sounds like it will generate some great discussion!

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

I am down the road in Delta Jct. I am sure you will enjoy your experience in FL. I agree, this book sounds awesome.

Maple

Message Edited by mapleann on 03-12-2009 11:46 PM
New User
jannasocrazy
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I just joined First Look and am looking forward to this.  My name is Janna and I live in CA with my almost teenage son and a cat we rescued.  I am a single parent and work full time.  Reading is one of my hobbies along with teaching myself to crochet.  I started going to church and regularly attend Tuesday night bible studies.  I try to take daily 3 mile walks and I will be juggling a full time job while going back to school in the fall to become a registered nurse.  I've always wanted to get involved in a book club. I am looking forward to reading Katherine Howe's The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. 

Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Paula and this will be my 4th First Look book. I loved The Monsters of Templeton and The Mighty Queens of Freeville. Sag Harbor is prooving hard to get through because I am finding it hard to relate to the characters. I am really looking forward to this new book because I absolutely LOVE historical fiction. I have been to Salem (on Halloween!) and really enjoy the history of the area...can't wait to get started!
PB684
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,  I'm Lynda from Northeastern Ohio checking in to see who's out. tee hee

I've been doing B & N since it was B & N University.  I find this to be a great forum to meet booklovers with varying opinions.   How boring it would be otherwise.  Looking forward to Deliverance Dane it sounds kind of House of 7 Gableish.  Which come to think of it deserves a reread one of these days.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Contributor
AnnJE
0 Kudos

I am new to First Look.  A friend from my online book club recommended First Look because the newest selection is about Salem.  I am descended from Susannah Martin and John Proctor, two of 19 hanged for witchcraft in Salem in 1692.  I can't wait to receive my copy and read and comment.  Thanks!!

I am from Dallas, TX and am a mom, grandmom and passionate zoo volunteer.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Lynda,  It is good to see another person who remembers BNU. My husband and I loved the classes! Now we are enjoying the book clubs. I, too, am putting House of the Seven Gables back on my TBR list. It has been a few years, and made for some great discussions.

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi everybody,  I'm Lynda from Northeastern Ohio checking in to see who's out. tee hee

I've been doing B & N since it was B & N University.  I find this to be a great forum to meet booklovers with varying opinions.   How boring it would be otherwise.  Looking forward to Deliverance Dane it sounds kind of House of 7 Gableish.  Which come to think of it deserves a reread one of these days.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com