Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Casting Call! Poacher's Son, The Movie?

Please pick the perfect cast for the movie version, as if you were the director! This one would be thrilling, dark, and have a stunningly beautiful setting.

Who should play Mike? Jack Bowditch? Brenda? Kathy? There a bunch of great characters to find actors for in this one! 

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Re: Casting Call! Poacher's Son, The Movie?

Rachel-K wrote:

Please pick the perfect cast for the movie version, as if you were the director! This one would be thrilling, dark, and have a stunningly beautiful setting.

Who should play Mike? Jack Bowditch? Brenda? Kathy? There a bunch of great characters to find actors for in this one! 

Hi Everyone,

I'm very interested in your suggestions here since my film agent is shopping the book in Hollywood, and he asked me for my ideas about casting.

Thank you all again for being so thoughtful and courteous.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Mike...Ashton Kutcher..and a few others ..But we need a "Jeff Bridges" for Jack..or someone with that Look and of course Talent...I think Robert Redford would just do it..,Both are the Perfect age I think..I wish Clint Eastwood would read it..He knows how to put this intense,yet sensitive,yet Gender Friendly ..book together...Women....will think of some..Susan Vt... 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I think Billly Bob Thorton could pull Jack off well. Channing Tatum pulls off the spur of the moment, hot headed kind of character well, he could be a decent Mike. Tara Reid or someone similar would be a great Brenda.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I think someone gruff should play Jack like Jeff Bridges. Mike should be played by Johnny Depp. Brenda, I can't picture anyone right now but she would have to be small in stature as that is the way I picture Brenda. Truman Dellis, I can picture a big man with no one to stop him. Maybe Vincent Price as the character should be creepy too. Pelletier should be played by a rough and evil guy. But I can't picture anyone actor to do his part. I don't go to the movies much, so naming actors is almost impossible for me.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
kstempien
0 Kudos

My first thought for Jack was Billy Bob Thorton.... just instinctively came to mind as I read the post!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I agree, Jeff Bridges or Robert Redford for Jack. 

Maybe Shia LaBoeuf for Mike.

Still trying to come up with someone to play the women.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Billy Bob Thronton definitely does those troubled isolated middle-of-nowhere characters really well!

I thought of Brenda as looking much like Selena Gomez! (Yes, I have young children.) Certainly all of her stuff is Disney, and she's very young--but she's also got an uncanny ability to shift from innocent to scheming to furious without a blink. Do you think her Disney contract prohibits her taking on films where she gets dead drunk, has affairs with old men, and shoots at people?

And Kathy is one of my favorites! I thought of her as a Frances McDormand character, although I think Kathy is probably more of an experienced-but-still-young 30s rather than a mellowing-but-still-tough 40s. McDormand is just great at that kind of had-enough impatience that Kathy exudes toward Mike. 

dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I don't really see Robert Redford, Jeff Bridges or Clint Eastwood playing Jack - I see them more as Charley.  It may be because I really do think Billy Bob Thornton would make the perfect Jack.

How about Edward Norton for Mike? 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Girl, Interrupted  dg..I can see that..Any one of them as Charley..How about Woody Harrelson..Not sure what part,but he could be great in the movie.."In Girl Interupted"Angelina Jolie" Much younger AJolie,would be a perfect Brenda..That type of Actress What do you thinK,with dark Hair..??...

Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

I wasn't thinking about specific people as I read other than I saw Sam Elliot as Charley. I agree with those who are suggesting Jeff Bridges or Billy Bob Thornton as Jack. Either would be perfect.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Here are my ideas. =)

Mike - Ryan Gosling or Hayden Christensen

Sarah - Scarlett Johansson or Natalie Portman

Kathy - Rachel McAdams

Jack - Jeff Bridges or Billy Bob Thornton

Brenda - Dakota Fanning

Charlie - Robert Redford

Ora - Melanie Griffith

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

For Charley, I was picturing someone in his 60's with glasses and not pudgy but slim enough to fly an airplane. How about Harrison Ford? For Brenda, you want someone who is vampish and has dark hair, sort of Dorothy lamour but less tame.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

Billy Bob Thronton definitely does those troubled isolated middle-of-nowhere characters really well!

I thought of Brenda as looking much like Selena Gomez! (Yes, I have young children.) Certainly all of her stuff is Disney, and she's very young--but she's also got an uncanny ability to shift from innocent to scheming to furious without a blink. Do you think her Disney contract prohibits her taking on films where she gets dead drunk, has affairs with old men, and shoots at people?

And Kathy is one of my favorites! I thought of her as a Frances McDormand character, although I think Kathy is probably more of an experienced-but-still-young 30s rather than a mellowing-but-still-tough 40s. McDormand is just great at that kind of had-enough impatience that Kathy exudes toward Mike. 

Thats funny Disney has Miley and she doen't play very pure girls anymore..I love Frances M.,but yes is getting up there a bit,but has that tough exterior,yet kind.....Wish there was a Part for Kathy Baker..Hows Diane Lane for Mike's Mom...The role of Sarah would be easy to cast..Susan Vtc

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

I had originally pictured Sam Elliot as Jack...actually I can't get that one out of my head even though I know that Mike is actually only 24. Jack should be a younger character, so I guess I'd have to go with Jeff Bridges

I just can't get past thinking that Mike should be older than he is, so I just have to say Josh Brolin would be a ringer for the character...even though he's older than the actual character.

Maybe Sam Eliot for Charley after all?

I don't know about the others yet.  I need to think about those.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Contributor
kaylami
0 Kudos

Tommy Lee Jones as Charley

And I agree with Billy Bob as Jack.

Still can't think of the perfect Mike.  Young, handsome..hmmmmm

Dakota Fanning as Brenda

Inspired Contributor
kaylami
0 Kudos

Just had another thought...

Kathy Bates as Kathy.

Maybe it's the names, but that was the image in my head

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

This book would make a great movie! I would choose Billy Bob Thorton as Jack. Josh Brolin was suggested by someone else for a little older Mike and I agree. And Tommy Lee Jones would be perfect for Charley.

CAG
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I think Sam Elliot or Tommy Lee Jones would make a great Charley

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

kaylami wrote:

Just had another thought...

Kathy Bates as Kathy.

Maybe it's the names, but that was the image in my head

I was just thinking the same thing when I read your post!

Sarah - Natalie Portman

Brenda - need someone tough/hard - maybe Michelle Rodriguez

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom