becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Casting Call! Poacher's Son, The Movie?

I've been thinking about this overnight, and I've revised my cast list:

Jack: Jeff Bridges 

Charley: Robert Redford

Truman: Billy-Bob Thornton or Viggo Mortensen

Mike: Shia LeBeouf or Jim Sturgess

Brenda: I'm picturing someone like Brittany Murphy, but I'm not up enough on young actresses to pick one. Maybe Evan Rachel Wood?

Sarah: Minka Kelly

Kathy: Vera Farmiga (from "Up in the Air"), Maria Bello or Maggie Gyllenhall

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

ok so I have a few people in mind...

I think for Jack either J. Bridges as others have said but my first pick was Sam Elliott.

For Mike...Jonathan Jackson

for Charlie - James Garner?

For Mike's mom - Cissy Spacek

will have to think about the others...

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I also think Tommy Lee Jones would be good for charley.

AND BIlly Bob Thornton would be a good pick for Jack, too.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm thinking of someone like Gena Rowlands for Ora.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

All The Lead Roles for Men ..Age 55-60'',so many to chose from..I still can't get Jeff Bridges out of my mind.. Diane Lane   She could pull off many roles, Mikes Mom...,Sissy S as well...What about Bridgett Fonda..not sure who she would play,but she is edgy...Ok I will put this out here..Kate Hudson.as Sarah,,,She could do it..Lets Call her..  :  ) Mike,,,Who is the Perfect Mike?.Who stands out? .I think dstaff mentoned Natalie Portman...Would love to see her in this movie....AS??  Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

These names came to mind as I did my power walk tonight.  I'm glad to see that other FL'ers also came up with some of the same names.  I don't go to the movies much so I'm sort of stuck in a time warp.

Charley - Clint Eastwood

Ora - Joanne Woodward

Sarah - Natalie Portman

Truman - James Bronson

Mike's Mom - Cissy Spacek

Neil - Ted Danson

Detective Soctomah - Lou Gossett Jr.

Contributor
Sally_K
0 Kudos

Tommy Lee Jones would also be a good contender for Jack.  Like others, I like Billy Bob Thorton for Jack as well

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

How about Jessica Lange as Ora? Vtc..

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Great choice!

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Absolutely, Positively there is no one to play the role of Kathy other than Frances McDormond. She can do the serious as well as the "playful" Kathy.

Aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Here are my male casting picks.  I have to think about the female casting a while longer.

Mike - Joshua Jackson.  He was Pacey in Dawson's Creek.  I kept picturing him as Mike the whole time I was reading the book.

Jack - Billy Bob Thornton

Charley - Tommy Lee Jones.  A close second choice would be Harrison Ford, although I really see Tommy Lee Jones as Charely.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Great choice!

Why Thank you,,Gena Rowlands and Jessica Have played Mother and Daughter in some films and they are great together.Its Mike that I am having trouble casting,he must be "Super Talented",could be 30,must look 24,25...Vtc....

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OK, at the risk of total ridicule I thought the book's author should throw some names into the mix for debate. Dream big, I always say!

Mike: Chris Pine, Chris Evans, Channing Tatum — oddly, the hardest role to cast, but it could be a break-through dramatic role for the right young actor. Jeremy Renner has the requisite toughness but seems a bit older.

Jack: Billy Bob Thornton (needs to lose the twang), Sean Penn (could also play Jack in flashbacks), Jeff Bridges (the Dude abides)

Sarah: Scarlett Johanssen (be still my heart), Natalie Portman (be still my heart), Blake Lively (be still my heart)

Kathy: Frances McDormand (perfect—thank you for the brilliant suggestion!)

Charley: Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones (needs to lose the twang), Harrison Ford, Gene Hackman, Sam Shepard (needs to lose the twang)

Ora: Jessica Lange (especially if Shepard is Charley = perfect romance), Helen Mirrren (if Eastwood)

Brenda: Megan Fox (crazy, beautiful), Michelle Rodriguez (crazy), Frieda Pinto (beautiful)

Truman Dellis: Wes Studi

Detective Soctomah: Graham Greene (although it might be fun if he and Studi switched. Greene always plays the good guy; Studi the bad guy.)

Mike's Mom: Michelle Pfeiffer, Sharon Stone

Mike's Stepfather: Ted Danson (another perfect suggestion!)

DeSalle: James Gandolfini (in my dreams)

Have at me!

Paul

PS. I've been interested to read the repeated mentions of Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones, the stars of one of my all-time favorite movies, No Country for Old Men. I wish I'd written a part worthy of the great Javier Bardem.

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn
0 Kudos

Good choices especially, Tommy Lee Jones, Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lang.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Getting into the big time here. Where are the Hollywood producers when we need them?

Inspired Contributor
kaylami
0 Kudos

Chris Evans would be a great Mike.  And yep, love Frances McDormand!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

kaylami wrote:

Chris Evans would be a great Mike.  And yep, love Frances McDormand!

I agree Chris Evans,,and Frances M..She is so good..Now let the Casting begin!! Vtc

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

You know, why can't we pick TV stars as casting roles? The guy that plays the FBI agent on Bones would be good for Mike's role. Sorry, I forget his name but he seems so virile and manly for the part. I was thinking this morning about Brenda and Kirstie Alley came to mind. Not the Kirstie we know of now but when she worked at Cheers. She could play an unstable role and do it well.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron wrote:

OK, at the risk of total ridicule I thought the book's author should throw some names into the mix for debate. Dream big, I always say!

Mike: Chris Pine, Chris Evans, Channing Tatum — oddly, the hardest role to cast, but it could be a break-through dramatic role for the right young actor. Jeremy Renner has the requisite toughness but seems a bit older.

Jack: Billy Bob Thornton (needs to lose the twang), Sean Penn (could also play Jack in flashbacks), Jeff Bridges (the Dude abides)

Sarah: Scarlett Johanssen (be still my heart), Natalie Portman (be still my heart), Blake Lively (be still my heart)

Kathy: Frances McDormand (perfect—thank you for the brilliant suggestion!)

Charley: Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones (needs to lose the twang), Harrison Ford, Gene Hackman, Sam Shepard (needs to lose the twang)

Ora: Jessica Lange (especially if Shepard is Charley = perfect romance), Helen Mirrren (if Eastwood)

Brenda: Megan Fox (crazy, beautiful), Michelle Rodriguez (crazy), Frieda Pinto (beautiful)

Truman Dellis: Wes Studi

Detective Soctomah: Graham Greene (although it might be fun if he and Studi switched. Greene always plays the good guy; Studi the bad guy.)

Mike's Mom: Michelle Pfeiffer, Sharon Stone

Mike's Stepfather: Ted Danson (another perfect suggestion!)

DeSalle: James Gandolfini (in my dreams)

Have at me!

Paul

PS. I've been interested to read the repeated mentions of Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones, the stars of one of my all-time favorite movies, No Country for Old Men. I wish I'd written a part worthy of the great Javier Bardem.

Sean Penn as Jack- excellent!!

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Contributor
nickntom
0 Kudos

Mike:  Shia LaBoeuf

Sarah:  Kerri Russell

Jack:  Dennis Quaid

Kathy:  Jodi Foster

Charley:  Sam Elliott

Ora: Sissy Spacek 

Brenda:  Megan Fox