Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

CAG, KRB2g, Ibis -- I quite agree with you about the power of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I read it in a single day last week -- and was just glad that I had a day where I could get by with that!  It has been so popular, that I figure I am probably about the last person to read it??? 

Anyway, I draw a parallel between Larsson's Lisbeth Salander and Thackeray's Becky Sharp in Vanity Fair.  Each is a so very memorable fictional character; each is a strong woman who forges her own path in a daunting world. Each belongs to the challenges of her time.  Perhaps Larsson and Thackeray are discussing the artistic acts of creation they accomplished during their earthly abiding!  :smileyvery-happy:

If you are given to a bit of gossipy news, you might be interested in this article on Larsson's estate.

Pepper

CAG wrote:

Thanks for your comment IBIS. I agree with you about Lisbeth Sanger. She is a character that has stayed with me. I  tried to explain to others how vivid her character is but I find it diificult to describe. You said it perfectly-she is "unlike anyone I've ever met between the pages of all the books I've ever read." 

IBIS wrote:

Totally agree with you about Stieg Larsson's trilogy.  A friend of mine in England already read the third one "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"... it's already been published in the UK. I was seriously thinking of flying out there to buy it... however, she's promised to mail me her copy...

Miracles do happen!

His heroine, Lisbeth Sanger, is unlike anyone I've ever met between the pages of all the books I've ever read.

I'm currently merrily doing my happy reading through the 20-karat American private-eye series "Spenser" by the late Robert Parker.

CAG wrote:

I recommend Stieg Larsson's trilogy series. I finished #1 "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and just started  #2" The Girl Who Played with Fire". Great reads with mystery, suspense and something for everyone. His last book "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" will be released this spring. Has anyone else read his books?

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peppermill-I like the parallel you suggest. I am giving that some thought. I read the article you refer to earlier and found it interesting. 

To everyone:

I have one more book that I would like to suggest. I just finished "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick. When I first started reading it I wasn't sure I would like it. It was different than what I expected. It is now on my list of favorites. It is full of twist and turns.

CAG
Peppermill
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:

I loved those two books and am eagerly anticipating the third one. [ed. Larsson's triology series.] I've been reading Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series--they're set in Britain between the World Wars and are generally quite good. I also really enjoy Margaret Frazer's Joliffe and Dame Frevisse series--set in England during the fifthteenth century. I'm always looking for more mystery novels though. My favorite mystery authors are Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers.

KRB -- are there particular mysteries of Dorothy Sayers that you recommend?  I was a part of the group that read The Nine Tailors  on the LbW board a few months ago and I enjoyed that very much.

Do you or others on this board know the work of Amanda Cross, pseudonym of Carolyn Heilbrun?  I have enjoyed several of Heilbrun's books, both her mysteries featuring Kate Fansler and those written in her own name, such as Writing a Woman's Life and The Last Gift of Time, although rereading the latter one  after her death was especially poignant.  (A story that is an interesting contrast to Monninger's Eternal on the Water.)

No Word from Winifred  by Amanda Cross (Unfortunately, this is ridiculously priced, at least IMHO, but the mass market edition doesn't seem to be available any more.  I'd say, look for a used copy if interested. Still, it is better than going out of print, which appears to have happened to some of her work.)

Death in a Tenured Position by Amanda Cross

I have not read this, but the Wikipedia article states:  "The novels, all set in academia, often were an outlet for Heilbrun's view on feminism, academic politics, and other political issues. Death in a Tenured Position  ... was particularly harsh in its criticism of the academic establishment's treatment of women."

This received the Nero Award (1981), a prize with which I was not familiar.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Correspondent
LadyMin
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Now & Then by Jacquelin Sheehan.

I needed something easy to read on an airplane and time travel and romance in 1844 Ireland was just what I was looking for. It was a fun book.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Post script to my comments about Carolyn Heilbrun.

Has anyone read the mystery thriller by her lawyer son? (I have not.)

Offer of Proof  by Robert Heilbrun

"A riveting thriller, the debut novel of a high–profile Manhattan public defender with a gift for writing about the law in ways that are vastly entertaining, witty, sardonic and wise.

"A beautiful young businesswoman is murdered on the streets of New York after shopping for art in Chelsea, and in her final words to the police, she identifies her assailant. Or does she?

"Arch Gold, dedicated public defender, gets the biggest case of his life when he's assigned to represent the accused killer, Damon Tucker, a young black kid from Harlem. Damon claims he's innocent, and Gold puts his reputation on the line to save his client and find the real killer."

From the Harper Collins site.

Frequent Contributor
lilk
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Silent Witness by Rebecca Foster.  Not very far into it right now but the book looks like it might be a page turner, I'll let you know.  Love the community room, I get some great ideas of books to read.

Silent Witness

Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

http://thebookendsreviews.com
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Currently reading Mornings in Jenin  

Reader
andrewswife
0 Kudos

I just finished The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble and am now reading Peony in Love by Lisa See.

pen21
0 Kudos

Peony in Love

That is really a good book.

Here is a discussion on Peony in Love with Lisa See.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Lisa-See-on-Peony-in-Love-SEPT/bd-p/lspl

Lisa See was here as part of the Center Stage for her book Shanghai Girls.

Here is the link to center stage, near the bottom is the thread for Lisa See.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Center-Stage/bd-p/CenterStage

enjoy the book. pen21

andrewswife wrote:

I just finished The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble and am now reading Peony in Love by Lisa See.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Peony in Love

That is really a good book.

Here is a discussion on Peony in Love with Lisa See.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Lisa-See-on-Peony-in-Love-SEPT/bd-p/lspl

Lisa See was here as part of the Center Stage for her book Shanghai Girls.

Here is the link to center stage, near the bottom is the thread for Lisa See.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Center-Stage/bd-p/CenterStage

enjoy the book. pen21

andrewswife wrote:

I liked her

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, but haven't read any of her later novels.

The whole concept of a secret language developed by women was a fascinating, supposedly historical tidbit that I especially gleaned, along with many other scenes from Chinese culture in the area she addresses.

Pepper

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Just got done with Eternal on the Water,  And now currently reading (by the same author) Home Waters. 

Home Waters 

Eternal on the Water 

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

I just finished "Eternal on the Water" and "Before I Fall"  both of which I loved!  Now am reading "A Breath of Snow and Ashes".    

Don't know how to get the pics of the books on here....

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Thereby Hangs a Tail by Spencer Quinn.  I wanted something that was easy and quick to read for a recent trip to New Orleans.  It amazing how much I really enjoy this series. 

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
becke_davis
0 Kudos

nlsamson wrote:

I just finished reading Thereby Hangs a Tail by Spencer Quinn.  I wanted something that was easy and quick to read for a recent trip to New Orleans.  It amazing how much I really enjoy this series. 

I LOVED that book. Bought both books for both of my (grown) kids, too.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

I just finished "Eternal on the Water" and 

"Before I Fall"  both of which I loved!  Now am reading "A Breath of Snow and Ashes".    

Don't know how to get the pics of the books on here....

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander Series #6)  biy Diana Gabaldon

Lisa -- use the Add Product option on the editing toolbar and chose "Add link and image."  

Good luck!  Ask again if still confusing.

Pepper

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm just finishing Jayne Ann Krentz's FIRED UP - Jayne spent the day with us at the Mystery Book Club today. Tomorrow's guest, Sharon Sala, has already posted tonight, too.

Fired Up (Dreamlight Trilogy Series #1)

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading "Before I Fall" for the upcoming discussion and "Sacred Games" for my own pleasure.  I have to say that both books are great, though they couldn't be more different.  One thing I love about reading is the worlds it takes me to.  I have no favorites.  I read everything and I read constantly.  I believe I'm in good company... am I right??? lol

Before I Fall  

Sacred Games

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I need to get this one! I loved "Dog On It."

nlsamson wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Peppermill, thank you for this article. It was fascinating reading. Who knew that I loved gossip?
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

CAG, it seems that we have similar reading tastes!

I also started "A Reliable Wife" not sure if I would like it. But eventually I was drawn into Goolrick's writing spell. I too have it on my list of favorites.

I agree, it's definitely worth reading!

CAG wrote:

To everyone:

I have one more book that I would like to suggest. I just finished "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick. When I first started reading it I wasn't sure I would like it. It was different than what I expected. It is now on my list of favorites. It is full of twist and turns.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."