becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I've got wayyyyy too many books in my waiting-to-be-read pile, but this one has been calling to me -- I love this series:

A Face at the Window (Home Repair Is Homicide Series #12)

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

I also finished this book as well.  Like this series so far but not as good as the Sookie Stackhouse series.

Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard Series #1) 

Anna Louise

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

I just finished This is How by M.J. Hyland.   It was a sad story about a displaced young man who has trouble fitting in within his family and in the outside world, and the ultimate tragedy of the plot leads to a disturbing conclusion.  I found it bizarrely riveting.

This Is How 

Jane M.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ooh Becke I know you'll love Sarah's new book in her Home Repair is Homicide mysteries.

I'm half way finished with:

Spider's Bite 

The first book in a new urban fantasy series by this author. Really good, edgy, dark but not too dark. Great characters.

Contributor
flipendo
0 Kudos

CAG wrote:

I recommend Stieg Larsson's trilogy series. I finished #1 "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and just started  #2" The Girl Who Played with Fire". Great reads with mystery, suspense and something for everyone. His last book "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" will be released this spring. Has anyone else read his books?

Yes! These were recommended to me by a friend and I loved them! The first started off slowly for me, but the pay-off for sticking with it was worth it! I can't wait to get my hands on the third!

Contributor
flipendo

I always recommend The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It's a sort of romance-mystery-thriller kind of novel without being a cliché of any of those genres. The story is beautifully told, and the book is very hard to put down.

The Shadow of the Wind

Contributor
CMATurner
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Wuthering Heights again. I have read it four times already. I really need to get to the library or the bookstore, but I have been feeling ill all weekend.

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

I loved Peony in Love.  I hope you will too.  I have read most (if not all) of Lisa See's books and enjoyed them all, but maybe because it was the first one I read- Peony in Love was my favorite.
I just finished The Piano Teacher by Janice YK Lee on audio book.  Marvelous book.  Am now reading Digging to America by Ann Tyler for my book club and Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver for B&N FL discussion.
I agree with someone else's comment that you get some wonderful suggestions for reading material in these community rooms.  I just don't have enough time for all of these good books.
Kathy

andrewswife wrote:

I just finished The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble and am now reading Peony in Love by Lisa See.

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

We read The Shack in my book club.  I have to say, I quit before I finished.  Read over half and just didn't like it.
Kathy

liisa22 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

I just finished "Eternal on the Water" and "Before I Fall"  both of which I loved!  Now am reading "A Breath of Snow and Ashes".    

Don't know how to get the pics of the books on here....

Good Morning liisa22..I was going to help you Add product,then read Pepper came to your rescue..I love that feature..Best  Vtc,Susan

Thanks Susan and Pepper!

I read

The Shack  yesterday! Wow

(yea!  i did it!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What else are you all reading?

Has anyone seen the movie, THE LOVELY BONES? I loved the book but haven't seen the movie. Is it faithful to the book?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Ooh Becke I know you'll love Sarah's new book in her Home Repair is Homicide mysteries.

I'm half way finished with:

Spider's Bite 

The first book in a new urban fantasy series by this author. Really good, edgy, dark but not too dark. Great characters.

Debbie - I was thinking of getting Spider's Bite - let me know how it is. Yes, I'm a long-time fan of the Sarah Graves series. I think her writing gets better with every book.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

flipendo wrote:

I always recommend The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It's a sort of romance-mystery-thriller kind of novel without being a cliché of any of those genres. The story is beautifully told, and the book is very hard to put down.

The Shadow of the Wind

vtCozy wrote..I agree  Written so beautifully,and so many messages..I love History..so I did learn a few things of course."The Angel's Game "I hear is also amazing..on my TBR list..He has a wonderful gift...Welcome flipendo to First Look..and BN...Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I haven't heard good things about the movie. I had high hopes because the book was so good. But, I had to explain to a friend who saw the movie how she died, what the title meant, etc. That's sad.

becke_davis wrote:

Has anyone seen the movie, THE LOVELY BONES? I loved the book but haven't seen the movie. Is it faithful to the book?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I just picked up Wench.. it is incredibe so far!

becke_davis wrote:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

I haven't seen the movie but I loved the book "The Lovely Bones". :smileyhappy:  waiting to see the movie but just finished digging out today after 30 inches of snow and another storm with 20+ inches heading our way tomorrow.  I guess that I'll be by the fireplace with books, reading! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

I can't believe I lost this FL!!! This is the first I lost in 2 years of FL. I was travelling and only today opened BN website. Hope I could get one copy but... See you soon!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Hi marciliogq! Hope you get a book.

Always like to read your comments. pen21

marciliogq wrote:

I can't believe I lost this FL!!! This is the first I lost in 2 years of FL. I was travelling and only today opened BN website. Hope I could get one copy but... See you soon!

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Thanks once more Pen21. It's really good hearing from you. I also hope I can get a book. Only a few hours separated me from it. I've been a bit busy with my readings for my doctorate project but I still get a time to read my FL books.

Contributor
Susan57

Hi,

I read and loved the Outlander series.  When did this seventh book come out?  Was it any good?  I found that the earlier books were better to the later ones in the series.  What did you think?

Susan

Inspired Scribe
IBIS

Hi Becke, I had read Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" when it first came out.

I saw the movie last week, and I know the reviews have been mixed.

Both interpretations are beautifully done... however, the emphasis has switched radically so that they're alike in only marginal aspects.

The book focused on the sorrow and hope of the grieving Salmon family. It was a beautiful story of forgiveness.

The film focused on the sensational rape-murder aspect of the story... so much so that the actor playing the part of Suzy Salmon's murderer has been nominated for an Oscar. Which is soooooo beside the point of the book.

Peter Jackson's cinematic vision of "heaven" would do well in Middle Earth... visually stunning and dramatic.

Alice Bold's book, "heaven" was a lyrical and poetic vision. Very difficult to capture on film.

becke_davis wrote:

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."