Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

An Echo in the Bone (Outlander Series #7)

It came out September 2009.

I think it is good. I am halfway through the book.

I am not rushing the book. The characters and story are enjoyable a piece at a time.

I do like the history and the comparisons of the modern society to the revolutionary period. I have liked them all. But the early ones were some of the best.

pen21

Susan57 wrote:

Hi,

I read and loved the Outlander series.  When did this seventh book come out?  Was it any good?  I found that the earlier books were better to the later ones in the series.  What did you think?

Susan

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Hey Paul and any of you fellow first look afficionados,

My friend Debs and I were trying to catalog all of the First Look selections in order-and got stumped on a few.  Could anyone provide us with a listing?  Thanks and can't wait to receive this one!

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Thayer
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I need to get this one! I loved "Dog On It."

nlsamson wrote:

I just finished reading Thereby Hangs a Tail by Spencer Quinn.  I wanted something that was easy and quick to read for a recent trip to New Orleans.  It amazing how much I really enjoy this series. 

Hey Nancy, hope you had a wonderful trip to NOLA!  I am hoping to visit my son and daughter-in-law there at the end of February.

Your recommendation was responsible for my reading Dog On It by Spencer Quinn and I loved it. I didn't realize his new book was out. I can't wait to pick it up. Will be a fun diversion until this new first look begins.

GO SAINTS!

~~Dawn
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Dawn:

We were lucky enough to be in Nola when the Saints beat the Vikings!  What a gift that experience was!!!

Thereby Hangs a Tail was a quick but very enjoyable read. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Have a safe trip, hope to get back there for French Quarter Fest in April.

Thayer wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I need to get this one! I loved "Dog On It."

nlsamson wrote:

I just finished reading Thereby Hangs a Tail by Spencer Quinn.  I wanted something that was easy and quick to read for a recent trip to New Orleans.  It amazing how much I really enjoy this series. 

Hey Nancy, hope you had a wonderful trip to NOLA!  I am hoping to visit my son and daughter-in-law there at the end of February.

Your recommendation was responsible for my reading Dog On It by Spencer Quinn and I loved it. I didn't realize his new book was out. I can't wait to pick it up. Will be a fun diversion until this new first look begins.

GO SAINTS!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g

[ Edited ]

Thayer wrote:

My friend Debs and I were trying to catalog all of the First Look selections in order-and got stumped on a few.  Could anyone provide us with a listing?  Thanks and can't wait to receive this one!

The Monsters of Templeton   by Lauren Groff

The House at Riverton   by Kate Morton

The Sister   by Poppy Adams

Songs for the Missing   by Stewart O'Nan

The Believers   by Zoë Heller

The Mighty Queens of Freeville   by Amy Dickinson

A Fortunate Age   by Joanna Smith Rakoff

Sag Harbor   by Colson Whitehead

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane  by Katherine Howe

Of Bees and Mist   by Erick Setiawan

Under This Unbroken Sky   by Shandi Mitchell

Hush, Hush   by Becca Fitzpatrick (teen)

The Postmistress   by Sarah Blake

Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine Series)   by Heather Webber (sneak peek romantic reads)

Eternal on the Water  by Joseph Monninger

Before I Fall   by Lauren Oliver (teen)

The Poacher's Son   by Paul Doiron

Seized   by Max Hardberger (sneak peek current events)

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine Series)   by Heather Webber (sneak peek romantic reads)

Nice job!

Reader 2
BnN_Fan_in_MN
0 Kudos

I loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain", too. It was an interesting and unusual twist to read a story from the dog's point of view and get such moving insights of human characters at the same time. Right now I'm reading "Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout. Also a unique book that is comprised of separate stories to form the novel.
Contributor
CatC
0 Kudos

I enjoy Harper Conolly and Aurora Teagarden but like Lily Bard the best of all of  H

krb2g wrote:
Peppermill et al.,
My favorite Dorothy Sayers mysteries are the ones that have Harriet Vane too. I particularly likedGaudy Night (A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery) andHave His Carcase (A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery), although as far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with any of her detective fiction: she wrote several full-length mysteries and a number of short stories as well. In her spare time she also translated The Song of Roland and almost all three parts of Dante's Divine Comedy.
Thanks for the Amanda Cross recommendation; I have read several of her books (was actually introduced to her in a feminist theory class that assigned an article that used one of her murder mysteries to talk about the way we conduct criticism) but haven't read all of them yet. As you can see I love reading murder mysteries written by academically-inclined women.
Another author whose mysteries I've been enjoying is Charlaine Harris. The Sookie Stackhouse books are more along the lines of fantasy/romance than straight mystery, but I devoured them once I started watching True Blood. I think I liked the Harper Connelly stories even better (but she can hear the dead, so there's definitely a supernatural element there too). Her earlier books, which I am going through (just finishedShakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard Series #2) today), are enjoyable to me too.

arris' characters.  Gald to see someone else enjoys them as well.

Thayer
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:

Thayer wrote:

That is so awesome! Thanks. I have been included in all but two of these. I love this club!  :smileyvery-happy:

~~Dawn
Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Cover Image  Has anyone read this one yet? I've been holding off reading it because I heard there would be a 2nd book, thought it would be good to read them back to back.

Mazz

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

nymazz wrote:

Cover Image  Has anyone read this one yet? I've been holding off reading it because I heard there would be a 2nd book, thought it would be good to read them back to back.

Mazz

There are actually going to be three. The Fall will be published September 21, 2010, and the third should be done in 2011 (summer or fall, I would guess). I liked this one. It was an interesting twist on the old vampire paradigm and a relief after Twilight and all its copy cats. I definitely sympathize with the desire to wait till you can read straight through, though!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

I received my "confirmation" last week but have been busy with shoveling and shoveling and shoveling. We received 21" in Perkasie, PA. That's on top of the 12" we received last Saturday.

I just finished reading:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Series #1) 

Also reading:

The Little Stranger 

Today, I am listening to on my ipod:

The Girl who Played With Fire (Millennium Trilogy Series #2) 

Can't wait to get "The Poacher's Son"!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
lyssadesilvio
0 Kudos

Just finished. Very awesome book. I love all of his books and this one was definitely my favorite.

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the list of 'First Look' selections.  I'm excited that I have had the pleasure of being involved with half of the selections.  I've been hearing really wonderful things about The House at Riverton.  I think I'm going to have to add that one to my TBR list.

Right now I am reading The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen.  It's the first book I've read by her and I like it a lot. 

The Sugar Queen 

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Mommy-Read-Write wrote:

Thanks so much for the list of 'First Look' selections.  I'm excited that I have had the pleasure of being involved with half of the selections.  I've been hearing really wonderful things about The House at Riverton.  I think I'm going to have to add that one to my TBR list.

Right now I am reading The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen.  It's the first book I've read by her and I like it a lot. 

The Sugar Queen 

"House of Riverton" is one of my all-time favorites and "The Forgotten Garden" too - both by Kate Morton!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g

Kate Morton

For those of you interested in Kate Morton, she has a new book coming out in November. It's going to be called The Distant Hours. If you go to her website, you'll find she has a trailer up for the book and also keeps a blog. I think there's also a short story available to download from the website.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Kate Morton

krb2g wrote:

For those of you interested in Kate Morton, she has a new book coming out in November. It's going to be called The Distant Hours. If you go to her website, you'll find she has a trailer up for the book and also keeps a blog. I think there's also a short story available to download from the website.

Thanks for posting this, krb2g.

Contributor
ElizabethPA
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion of "A Reliable Wife". I just bought it and had it in a pile of books to read. I will have to read that one next.

Contributor
ElizabethPA
0 Kudos

I know what you mean. We've had the same piles of snow in Boyertown. Glad to see someone else from around here.

Contributor
ElizabethPA
0 Kudos

OMG - I love this series too! I have read the first 2 books and plan to get more!