Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I finished reading The Sugar Queen on Sunday.  It was quite an enjoyable book.  I will definitely read more by the author.  Now I am read The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue.  The book has been out since 2005 but I just learned of it recently.  It's a fabulous book.  I think if you liked The Time Traveler's Wife (which I love) then you'll probably like this one.

The Mercy of Thin Air 

Oh, and thanks to those who are recommending The House at Riverton.  I'm going to see if my library has the book.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

I love all of these book suggestions.  Some are on my TBR list, many have been added to the list.  I don't know when I will ever find time to read all of these wonderful books.  My copy of The Poacher's Son arrived yesterday and my husband who is a magazine, newspaper reader asked how quickly I would start reading it.  He wants to read it just by looking at the cover and reading the back.  Unheard of in this house.  I'm reading Before I Fall and really enjoying it.  My book clubs are reading older books by authors that I love.  Digging to America by Anne Tyler-not my favorite of her books, loved Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.  My other book club meets today and we are disscussing Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas (another author that I enjoy).

Kathy

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I am listening to Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs.I am really enjoying it.

I am also reading Before I Fall for a Frist Look book. Comfort Food is a nice change of pace from Before I Fall.

pen21

Comfort Food

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

VtCozy Wrote;Pen21, Can you advise me..Which one should I read  1st of Katie Jacobs??Yes,a nice change..That would be a "A Great :cozy for me..Thanks..Vtc
pen21 wrote:

I am also reading Before I Fall for a Frist Look book. Comfort Food is a nice change of pace from Before I Fall.

pen21

Comfort Food

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
pen21
0 Kudos

First I would say I like the style of Kate Jacobs writing. The way she combines all the unique characters into one story.

If you like knitting/crocheting/crafts, I would choose The Friday Night Knitting Club and it's sequels. I think there are 3 books now.The book revolves around a single mom who owns/runs a yarn shop with friends that meet to share their love of knitting or their first attempt to knit on Friday nights. I enjoy looking forward to each book to see what each character is doing is in their lives.

Comfort Food revolves around cooks and foods as a theme. We all like food. The main character is a TV Cooking personality, 50, widowed, she has 2 grown daughters. She has found she is losing her audience and the book takes off with what and how will she change it up and keep her cooking show going. This book also has a good variety of friends and bosses blending their lives into the story. I am looking forward to see how their lives will progress as the book ends.

I hope this helps you decide. pen21

The Friday Night Knitting Club

Vermontcozy wrote:
VtCozy Wrote;Pen21, Can you advise me..Which one should I read  1st of Katie Jacobs??Yes,a nice change..That would be a "A Great :cozy for me..Thanks..Vtc
pen21 wrote:

pen21

Comfort Food

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

I just received my copy of The Poacher's Son.  I am surprised and happy.  Surprised, because I usually get the book right before the discussion begins.  Happy, because I actaully have time to read it before said discussion begins.  :smileyhappy: I like the cover of the book.  I can't wait to get into it.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you pen,I will go with "The Friday Night Knitting Cub" first,since its been on my TBR,and her others in the series,although "Comfort Food sounds  good as well..I like your book choices,so I feel good about buying them finally...A good change,although BIF is just not ending for me..Lauren is uber talented..And I don't say that lightly.,you know exactly what I mean...Knitting,feeling the yarn,all the colors  gives me that "Comfort" and Food,well just feed me Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins,and I am a Happy camper..Thanks so much....Susan.     .When I saw Becke's Table,I voluteered you for "Danish" is that ok?
pen21 wrote:

First I would say I like the style of Kate Jacobs writing. The way she combines all the unique characters into one story.

If you like knitting/crocheting/crafts, I would choose The Friday Night Knitting Club and it's sequels. I think there are 3 books now.The book revolves around a single mom who owns/runs a yarn shop with friends that meet to share their love of knitting or their first attempt to knit on Friday nights. I enjoy looking forward to each book to see what each character is doing is in their lives.

Comfort Food revolves around cooks and foods as a theme. We all like food. The main character is a TV Cooking personality, 50, widowed, she has 2 grown daughters. She has found she is losing her audience and the book takes off with what and how will she change it up and keep her cooking show going. This book also has a good variety of friends and bosses blending their lives into the story. I am looking forward to see how their lives will progress as the book ends.

I hope this helps you decide. pen21

The Friday Night Knitting Club

Vermontcozy wrote:
pen21 wrote:

pen21

Comfort Food

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise

I read Comfort Food and loved it.  Read the Knitting Series by her as well.  Good books.  :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I got my copy of Poacher's Son tonight. Looking forward to getting started.

pen21
0 Kudos

Anna Louise,

How would you describe her books? I find it hard sometimes to describe the reason why I like an author and her series so much. I would like to hear what you liked most about the books.

Thanks, pen21

Anna_Louise wrote:

I read Comfort Food and loved it.  Read the Knitting Series by her as well.  Good books.  :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi..my Book finally arrived in Vermont..Thanks Paul,and from what I can decifer from the reviews from some of my Favorite Authors,we could be at the edge of our seats,once again..Which is all good.!!!!.Look forward to our discussions..Ms.Staff,Why do you get your book so soon,I am not that far away?..I know you and Mike are "Cool"but so am I...a little backwards here in Vt,but "cool...:  ) Just a Hi..Hope all is well....Susan Vtc

Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

This is one of my favorite books.  A fascinating read!

SandyS

trschi wrote:

I just finished Wild Swans.  It is a fascinating book about 3 generations of women in China.  The author painted a vivid, if sometimes disturbing, picture of the political and social changes in that country during the 20th century.  A fascinating read!

Wild Swans

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Hi Pen 21!

What I loved about Kate Jacob's books was that the characters seemed so real and I could relate to them in many different ways.  I like how in "The Comfort Food" the situations were based on a cooking show so I could "see" that in my mind and I enjoy baking/cooking. 

I liked how the characters evolved and changed in the books throughout the situations and grew up as well. 

I hope this helps; it's brief but email me if you have any other questions! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

pen21
0 Kudos

Yes it does. I find it interesting what others like/dislike about a book.

Her books are so much fun to read. Thanks

Anna_Louise wrote:

Hi Pen 21!

What I loved about Kate Jacob's books was that the characters seemed so real and I could relate to them in many different ways.  I like how in "The Comfort Food" the situations were based on a cooking show so I could "see" that in my mind and I enjoy baking/cooking. 

I liked how the characters evolved and changed in the books throughout the situations and grew up as well. 

I hope this helps; it's brief but email me if you have any other questions! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Contributor
mariaev
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova....enjoying it very much.

The Swan Thieves 

Inspired Contributor
jbnie
0 Kudos

I agree with Anna_Louise, her characters are real and they change throughout the story. I haven't read Comfort Food yet, but after reading the posts, it is on my list. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I'm currently listening to it and I'm completely drawn into it. Course It might take me a few weeks to finish, but I'm excited to see how it plays out.

mariaev wrote:

I'm currently reading The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova....enjoying it very much.

The Swan Thieves 

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

mariaev wrote:

The Swan Thieves 

I'm listening to this one in the car.  It is the longest audio book I've attempted.  We got snowed in yesterday (and is still snowing today) and I found that I missed my driving time since I didn't get to find out any more of the story!

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Don't you hate that? I listen to my audiobooks at work and sometimes in my car. I never listen at home so weekends suck when I'm hooked on my current audiobook.
jb70 wrote:

mariaev wrote:

The Swan Thieves 

I'm listening to this one in the car.  It is the longest audio book I've attempted.  We got snowed in yesterday (and is still snowing today) and I found that I missed my driving time since I didn't get to find out any more of the story!

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

Silly question for you experienced posters:

How do i add a "picture" to my profile so it will post with my user info when I submit a comment?  I looked and looked and couldn't find where it is... 

Thanks!!!!!