Reply
New User
meeditoria
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎02-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

And of course, I forgot to recommend and/or mention what I'm reading now.  I just finished The Swan Thieves, by Elizabeth Kostova, and I have to say I was disappointed. It was so very predictable and unsastisfyingly simple for such a lengthy work (and I did enjoy her previous book, The Historian; all the things I liked about that one was missing here).

 

Highly recommend The Ninth Daughter  (by Barbara Hamilton), which looks deceptively like a cozy mystery, but is completely steeped in history and authenticity. It features Abigail Adams, a personal hero of mine), and weaves itself in and around the actual persons and events of Revolutionary America.

Inspired Contributor
lg4154
Posts: 72
Registered: ‎02-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Well of course I have not stuck to the schedule and finished the entire book :smileysad:  Currently I am reading the Ghost by Robert Harris and kind of excited that there is a movie out now based on the book & it has Ewan Macgregor in it, I love him!!

New User
Calipso
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Since I'm a college student I haven't had nearly as much time to read as I used to.  It's heartbreaking, but the truth.  I'm majoring in Theater, so what I have read has mainly been plays.  I'm a big fan of "Fat Pig" by Neil LaBute.   . . . if any of you care . . . 

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
Posts: 151
Registered: ‎12-02-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:

It is hard to read a book one-handed - you have to juggle the book in order to turn the page!


Vermontcozy wrote:
VtCozy wrote..Please take care of yourself..Otherwise we will have to send someone over to read to you..Enjoy all the books....Susan..
eadieburke wrote:

Becktrek wrote:

I just finished

A Reliable Wife 

 

Did anyone read this book yet? I wanted to know what you thought? It definitely has got mixed reviews. It's a love it or hate it type of book!

 

I am hunting and pecking today since I tripped over the dog and chipped my shoulder bone! Very painful!

Eadie Burke
Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Thanks for the suggestion Eadie!  I am ALWAYS on the lookout for good suggestions and this looks really interesting!
Becky
They are making it into a movie! Definitely a story that doesn't leave your mind too quickl

I bought the book on my Nook because I heard good things about it. I will probably be reading it next. I am reading...

The Forgotten Garden  as well as mysteries for the mystery board, and The Poisonwood Bible  . So much reading to do! Love it. Hope your shoulder gets better soon. I know it is frustrating to read one handed. Take care of yourself.

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Reader 2
kemondNH
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎02-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am reading Jodi Picoult's "The Pact." I enjoy her books; they are alla bit 'quirky,' and take place in NH.

Contributor
trschi
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

 

Agree - It's very hard to read on-handed!  I broke my elbow a couple of weeks ago, and both typing and reading were very challenging... it's much better now (the typing), but turning pages can still be challenging!

eadieburke wrote:

It is hard to read a book one-handed - you have to juggle the book in order to turn the page!


Vermontcozy wrote:
VtCozy wrote..Please take care of yourself..Otherwise we will have to send someone over to read to you..Enjoy all the books....Susan..
eadieburke wrote:

Becktrek wrote:

I just finished

A Reliable Wife 

 

Did anyone read this book yet? I wanted to know what you thought? It definitely has got mixed reviews. It's a love it or hate it type of book!

 

I am hunting and pecking today since I tripped over the dog and chipped my shoulder bone! Very painful!

Eadie Burke
Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Thanks for the suggestion Eadie!  I am ALWAYS on the lookout for good suggestions and this looks really interesting!
Becky
They are making it into a movie! Definitely a story that doesn't leave your mind too quickly!

 

 

 

Frequent Contributor
reader76
Posts: 29
Registered: ‎02-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am a teacher and like to read what the students are reading these days so currently reading Lilly Dale- Awakening but Wendy Staub.  Interesting so far about a town full of psychics and mediums...

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

 


reader76 wrote:

I am a teacher and like to read what the students are reading these days so currently reading Lilly Dale- Awakening but Wendy Staub.  Interesting so far about a town full of psychics and mediums...

I love Wendy's books! What's fascinating is that Lilydale is a real place, and Wendy lives (or lived) near it.

 

 

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎07-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room


meeditoria wrote:

And of course, I forgot to recommend and/or mention what I'm reading now.  I just finished The Swan Thieves, by Elizabeth Kostova, and I have to say I was disappointed. It was so very predictable and unsastisfyingly simple for such a lengthy work (and I did enjoy her previous book, The Historian; all the things I liked about that one was missing here).

 

Highly recommend The Ninth Daughter  (by Barbara Hamilton), which looks deceptively like a cozy mystery, but is completely steeped in history and authenticity. It features Abigail Adams, a personal hero of mine), and weaves itself in and around the actual persons and events of Revolutionary America.


 

I am listening to The Swan Thieves and I'm not totally sold on it yet.  I don't feel very invested in it, but want to finish it.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎11-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I don't like this new layout!!!! It took me over 6 clicks to finally find the First Look threads; why aren't these featured on the "homepage" of the Book Clubs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Some recommended book that I have really enjoyed are listed below.  Something for everyone, I think:smileyhappy:

 

 

 

Testimony

  

Handle with Care

  

The Devil's Punchbowl

  

Kabul Beauty School

  

Attack

  

 

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Frequent Contributor
julyso
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎12-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am reading The Girl Who Played with Fire right now & am loving it!!! I hope the others are as good:smileyhappy:

Julie
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
Posts: 257
Registered: ‎01-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am reading James Patterson's Witch and Wizard and I gotta say its good.

 

I am also reading Percy Jackson and I have become an addict just finished book 1 and already starting with book 2.

 

I would recommend

Isabel Allende's City of the beasts trilogy

James Patterson's womens murder club and

Percy Jackson

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎06-17-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Hi Zeal! :smileywink:

 

I love Jodi Picoult and am reading her latest book.  I've had the opportunity to meet her every year for the last four years and she is a wonderful, gracious author!

 

Anna Louise

Contributor
Meandmoose
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎02-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am an 8th grade English teacher and I am currently reading one of the books I bought for my classroom library, Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. I just finished Firefly Lane for another book club and will be starting The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I love the new look-it's very warm and inviting. And the site is going soooo much faster. Yay! Great job to all of those involved. Thank you.
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Frequent Contributor
julyso
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎12-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I don't like this new layout!!!! It took me over 6 clicks to finally find the First Look threads; why aren't these featured on the "homepage" of the Book Clubs?

 

I SO Agree! It takes forever to find First Look! Why isn't on the book clubs home page???

Julie
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
Posts: 276
Registered: ‎12-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

julyso wrote:

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I don't like this new layout!!!! It took me over 6 clicks to finally find the First Look threads; why aren't these featured on the "homepage" of the Book Clubs?

 

I SO Agree! It takes forever to find First Look! Why isn't on the book clubs home page???

I've got my book clubs and boards bookmarked on the site.  That way I can click discussions and find what I'm looking for.  I also check email me when someone replies.  That way when I get the email, I can just click and go right to it.  Of course I've got my email notifications set to digest, that way I don't get a lot, just one with everything in it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I finished the book. Couldn't wait. Hope there is an " I bailed " thread again.

Very good book. Well written. The last chapters went really fast.

pen21

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
Posts: 62
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

I am currently reading : New York by Edward Rutherfurd.

 

 

New York

  

 

I am having a surprisingly hard time getting into/going with this book.  Has anyone else read it or had a similiar experience?  It is the March selection for a book club I am in.  Just curious what others have found.

 

Becky in IN