Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

Re: Thank you to Paul Doiron and Charlie Spicer for joining us!

Thanks, Rachel..... you have me blushing. I did mention how some of you supported me when I talked about my cat. I mentioned vtc, Debbie Haupt and twj. And even Rachel asked how my cat was. Boy, nothing gets past her, which is a good thing!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
dhaupt
0 Kudos

FL is like a big dysfunctional family, and nothing makes that point more than when B&N is having sign on problems and I can't get my daily fix of all my FL and all the book clubs friends.

Maxcat you have me blushing.

Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

Re: The Next First Look Selection

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Hi All,

The next First Look Book Club will be announced in the first week of May. Stay tuned...

P.

Can't wait--every one has been a winner in my book!  Thanks for sharing this one---and to those reading these posts, Down East is a fantastic magazine---I have been reading it for years!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Hi Rachel,If it wasn't for maxcat we would not know you at all.Its been great to read her posts.Thank you for being here with us,and certainly look forward to hearing more about you and what's going on.'We are interested,"so please don't be a stranger...The Poachers Son brought many readers together,we seemed to have bonded here ..Its a good feeling...Paul H has a gift for choosing books for us,that puzzles me,How does he know?Talent....A rare gift..Paul Doiron has captured our heart,and Charlie..Be really nice to him.,We have his back..; )..Thanks to all of you..Susan.Vtc...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

It surprised me when Rachel answered my venting about the library situation in our city. Libraries are very important and their storytelling hours for the little ones are important because they can interact with the storyteller. When the recession hit, it was the libraries that did the most business as people without computers went there to find listings for jobs. It's not just a social event to go to the library anymore, it's an important part of our economy as far as employment is concerned. Kids don't hang out there just for fun, they actually are sitting and doing homework assignments.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Scribe
DSaff

Somehow I missed this post, but am glad to have found it! Thanks for the information, Paul! I can't wait to see what the next adventure will be.  :smileyhappy:

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Hi All,

The next First Look Book Club will be announced in the first week of May. Stay tuned...

P.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Yes, I gues we have a month or two off. But we can still stay in touch through the community room, right?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Yes, I gues we have a month or two off. But we can still stay in touch through the community room, right?

Yes of course,and Subscribe to Announcements as well..Then there is Always "Party Central.".Stop in anytime.And I hope others will as well ,we always have "Food"...Its been amazing with all the positive feedback PaulD has been gettingI miss the book,and look forward to the next Mike Bowditch,,Just reading all the recent posts...To all take care until our next...Vtc Susan

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Somehow I missed this post, but am glad to have found it! Thanks for the information, Paul! I can't wait to see what the next adventure will be.  :smileyhappy:

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Hi All,

P.

Hi Donna,Hi Paul..All these books on New England Such talent hidden in the woods,cities.Now everyone who hasn't,want's to visit Maine..That Great......Glad we are still all together..TBR..To play catch up...Best to all..Susan  Vtc

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

This is the first day I've been able to post in quite some time.

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

I wasn't able to post yesterday either, but it looks like all is well now. 

I didn't know you could sign up for announcements. . . I'm going to do that. 

In the meantime, everyone take care, and enjoy beautiful spring (except on the east coast. . .it's looking bad there right now. . . stay safe). 

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Finally able to Reply!!

Hi everyone!

WOW It's been so amazing!  I've been reading everyone's posts and loving every minute, but unable to chime in!! How hard it has been not to speak, but I have to say I love what all of you have said about the book and I've got a huge, long list of books on my TBR list now.    For the longest time I couldn't get the reply button to work and I couldn't get in to let anyone know via PM that I was having trouble.  I knew it would just be a matter of time before they'd have the problem solved though. 

I just want to tell all of you how much I enjoy you and your company on these boards.  Please keep it up.  I'd miss all of you if you were gone.  You all have so much to share.  Well, so much to say and sooooo little time! lol 

Have an awesome day everyone!!!

Suzi

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

CAG wrote:

I recommend Stieg Larsson's trilogy series. I finished #1 "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and just started  #2" The Girl Who Played with Fire". Great reads with mystery, suspense and something for everyone. His last book "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" will be released this spring. Has anyone else read his books?

Hi CAG,

I'm reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" for one of my book clubs and find it very difficult to get into.  Did it take you a while or were you taken in immediately?  I know that sometimes you have to give a book a good 50-60 pages or so and then you can't put it down.  I've read about 40 pages and just keep pushing.  Would appreciate hearing from you.

Hi! I did find the first couple of chapters a little hard to get into but from there on out it was great. Hope you enjoy it.

CAG
Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

I also enjoy books by Douglas Preston - especially the ones with Pendergast.

wjbauer wrote:

Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child

There are a number of Lee Childs novels that deal with Reacher who is a ex-military policeman. After getting out of the Army he ends up as a drifter who gets into lots of trouble. The books are well written and holds your attention to the end. I like them also because they occur in different parts of the U.S..

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child novels with FBI agent Pendergast.

These novel take you to unusual places and crimes that appear to be ?????. Well I can't tell you as it would spoil the book. Most of the crimes are committed in New York City. Be sure you start with the first one because some of the characters appear in the next book. Some of the books can be read out of sequence but you loose some of the details   

Correspondent
scnole

It is always so sad to me to hear that a library is closing.    When I was young, the library was my best friend.

bookowlie wrote:

Rachel-K wrote:

Well, Maxcat, I'm a librarian in one of the branches being cut. You'll have to come in--or maybe we already know each other over the reference desk! We are moving our spring "Patron Appreciation Day" up to April 3rd--our closing date. That day the staff bakes brownies and cookies for the patrons. (In the winter it's soups and stews). Quite a shocking week. We librarians really love our patrons.

PM me so we can say hi in person!

Rachel

Rachel K,

I'm sorry to hear about your library branch closing.  How bittersweet that the Patron Appreciation Day will be on the closing day.  Libraries are such an asset and community hub, especially in small towns.  It's unfortunate your local government had to choose this step in order to save money.

Carolyn

Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

I read "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" and loved it.     'The Girl who Played with Fire" is sitting on my shelf with my other books to read.

literature wrote:

CAG wrote:

I recommend Stieg Larsson's trilogy series. I finished #1 "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and just started  #2" The Girl Who Played with Fire". Great reads with mystery, suspense and something for everyone. His last book "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" will be released this spring. Has anyone else read his books?

Hi CAG,

I'm reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" for one of my book clubs and find it very difficult to get into.  Did it take you a while or were you taken in immediately?  I know that sometimes you have to give a book a good 50-60 pages or so and then you can't put it down.  I've read about 40 pages and just keep pushing.  Would appreciate hearing from you.

literature wrote:

CAG wrote:

Hi CAG,

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

scnole wrote:

I read "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" and loved it.     'The Girl who Played with Fire" is sitting on my shelf with my other books to read.

literature wrote:

CAG wrote:

Hi CAG,

literature wrote:

CAG wrote:

Hi CAG,

I just saw the movie Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it was fabulous.  In Swedish with subtitles.  The suspense was intense, and I had already read the book!  I highly recommend it if it comes to your local art house.  I hear they are going to remake in with English actors, but I think it will lose something.  The girl who plays Lisbeth is just fabulous.

Jane M.
Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

I have been looking for a post that tells us when the next book will be available.  I do enjoy Paul's selections and have read many great books because of them.  I seem to enjoy certain authors and read every one of their books.   I am adding Paul Doiron to my list of authors that I must read.

In the mean time, I purchased the new Harlan Cobin novel to read.

Thank you Paul and B&N for selecting such great books and authors for us to read.  I am looking forward to the next great selection.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

mamawli wrote:

I have been looking for a post that tells us when the next book will be available.  I do enjoy Paul's selections and have read many great books because of them.  I seem to enjoy certain authors and read every one of their books.   I am adding Paul Doiron to my list of authors that I must read.

Thank you Paul and B&N for selecting such great books and authors for us to read.  I am looking forward to the next great selection.

Oh I hope you like Caught, it's #1 on the NY times list today and really great

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

mamawli wrote:

Hi The next FirstLook is the 1st week of May ..To be posted..around then,Paul did announce it,but it was during our Frenzy here....He will Post it again..Be sure to subscribe to "Announcements"  Susan Vtc