Author
Paul-Doiron

Dear Readers

When I learned that The Poacher’s Son was the first mystery to be selected for Barnes & Noble’s First Look program, I was honored and humbled. The weight of an entire genre now rests on the spine of my debut novel. Talk about pressure.  

In all seriousness I am delighted to have this opportunity to interact with you, my first readers, and I am looking forward to the experience of hearing your feedback and answering your questions. 

When I began The Poacher’s Son, my goal was simply to write the book I myself wanted to read but couldn’t find anywhere else. My current job is as the editor in chief of Down East: The Magazine of Maine. When I started at the magazine a number of years ago, I wrote a series of short features about offbeat stuff in Maine, and for some reason everything that interested me seemed to involve game wardens. A bear was killing pigs down the road; a warden shot it. A bobcat mistook a hunter for a turkey and jumped on his back; he called the wardens for help. It didn’t take me long to realize that Maine game wardens had really unusual jobs for law enforcement officers. Then, without really intending to do so, I began writing a novel about one.

My own tastes in mysteries run toward those in which the plot is driven by the choices of the characters. To me a novel becomes a work of literature when it prompts us to ask questions about our own lives and the fateful decisions we’ve made. So as much as I wanted to write a ripping good yarn, I was equally motivated to explore richer material. The Poacher’s Son is an investigation into the nature of unconditional love and the complicated relationships between fathers and sons. Does that make the book literary? I’ll leave that question to you for debate.     

Lastly, there is the role of the setting. I am a Registered Maine Guide, which means that I am certified by the state as an outfitter leading trips into the wilderness. My love of the outdoors is something I share with my lead character (I won’t tell you what else we share), and I wanted to give voice to the changes I’ve witnessed in the North Maine Woods.

I remember spending a week in a backwoods cabin with a friend who told me a ghost story of an old prisoner of war camp down the road, about how a German POW escaped into the forest and was never seen again. I wondered about that desperate man, his fear and loneliness, and about the Maine game wardens who chased him. If I had to pick the moment when The Poacher’s Son really gelled for me—all the elements suddenly coming together in my imagination—it was that night over the campfire.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and discuss The Poacher’s Son.  I’m looking forward to our month-long adventure together. 

Best regards,

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Thank you for stopping by.

I have read a few chapters in the book and this helped explain where the idea for the book came from. I am really enjoying the book. I need to slow down til I found out how far we are reading for the first section of our discussion. I really like the book, the plot, the beginning gets the story moving, very hard to stop reading.

Welcome to the group. You will have lots of fun! We do.

pen21

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Paul:

Thank you for the background story for The Poacher's Son and for the opportunity to be one of the first to read it.  I look forward to the discussion.

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Contributor
CatC
0 Kudos

Thank you fro dropping in.  From one new First Look member to another, Welcome.  I've started your novel and reluctantly put it down until a schedule is published as i don't want to get too far ahead. If first chapters are an indication of what's to come, this will be a great read. 

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Welcome Paul! I look forward to reading your story and the discusssion that follows!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Welcome Paul, to the FLC board of readers.  Thank you for giving us this opportunity to explore your novel, and joining in with us on what I know will be an exciting adventure for everyone!  Sit back and have fun!

Kathy S.

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Thank you Paul for the opportunity to read your book. Writing is very personal, publishing is sharing with the reader. I am forcing myself to stop reading at this point as others have previously noted--waiting for the schedule.

It is a privilege to be one of the first to read your story.  I love hearing the backstory from an author. This book is very interestsing so far. I look forward to sharing this time with you and the rest of the very fun First Look Club.

Deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Thank you for the background information.. I finished your book and have to say I couldn't put it down. You had my interest from the very beginning. What a great mystery. I can't wait to start the discussion. I do find it hard to believe this is your first novel. I have already told several people that they must buy your book when it is released because they will enjoy it!

CAG
Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello Paul -

Thank you for the opportunity to read your wonderful novel.  Also, thank you for joining us to discuss your book.  I imagain it must be thrilling and nerve wracking at the same time.

I am about five chapters into your book and enjoying it immensely.  My best friend lives in Maine and I have been there several times.  When I told her about The Poacher's Son she was very excited.  She and her husband want to read the book already and feel a connection - being Mainers themselves.

I am looking forward to finsihing your book and a wonderful month of discussion.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

While I am waiting for a schedule to read the book, it is only an excuse.  My husband who is not a voracious reader opened the parcel and started to read your book.  He does not want to put it down and states that it is one of the best mysteries that he has read and that from now on you will become his favorite author.

After I read the book, I will post both my comments and his comments.

Contributor
WhoDoneItCT
0 Kudos

:womanvery-happy:  Hi Paul,  Thank you so much for this opportunity for a "first look."  I'm a little past 1/2 way through (all in one day) and it's hard to put down.  Whenever I think I'm tired of reading, I just keep going.  Strong characters, interesting setting, puzzling dilemmas.  Kudos on what is certain to be a successful debut.

Reader 2
BnN_Fan_in_MN
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

Thank you for this amazing opportunity!  I feel sorry for the average reader who has to wait until April to read your first novel.  I also feel extrememly privileged to have been selected for this book club.  I look forward to further insights from you and the other members of our group as we progress together through the mystery!

Thank you again!

~Lisa

Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

I would also like to join everyone else in thanking you for this opportunity.  I have read up to Chapter 14 and I am thoroughly enjoying the story and characters.  I am looking forward to our discussions.

Lynette

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the First Look Group, Paul! Thank you so much for your letter and for letting us read your book. I have started reading it, but don't want to get very far before the schedule comes out. It has already captured my attention and I look forward to the discussion.  :smileyhappy:

Paul-Doiron wrote:

When I learned that The Poacher’s Son was the first mystery to be selected for Barnes & Noble’s First Look program, I was honored and humbled. The weight of an entire genre now rests on the spine of my debut novel. Talk about pressure.  

In all seriousness I am delighted to have this opportunity to interact with you, my first readers, and I am looking forward to the experience of hearing your feedback and answering your questions. 

When I began The Poacher’s Son, my goal was simply to write the book I myself wanted to read but couldn’t find anywhere else. My current job is as the editor in chief of Down East: The Magazine of Maine. When I started at the magazine a number of years ago, I wrote a series of short features about offbeat stuff in Maine, and for some reason everything that interested me seemed to involve game wardens. A bear was killing pigs down the road; a warden shot it. A bobcat mistook a hunter for a turkey and jumped on his back; he called the wardens for help. It didn’t take me long to realize that Maine game wardens had really unusual jobs for law enforcement officers. Then, without really intending to do so, I began writing a novel about one.

My own tastes in mysteries run toward those in which the plot is driven by the choices of the characters. To me a novel becomes a work of literature when it prompts us to ask questions about our own lives and the fateful decisions we’ve made. So as much as I wanted to write a ripping good yarn, I was equally motivated to explore richer material. The Poacher’s Son is an investigation into the nature of unconditional love and the complicated relationships between fathers and sons. Does that make the book literary? I’ll leave that question to you for debate.     

Lastly, there is the role of the setting. I am a Registered Maine Guide, which means that I am certified by the state as an outfitter leading trips into the wilderness. My love of the outdoors is something I share with my lead character (I won’t tell you what else we share), and I wanted to give voice to the changes I’ve witnessed in the North Maine Woods.

I remember spending a week in a backwoods cabin with a friend who told me a ghost story of an old prisoner of war camp down the road, about how a German POW escaped into the forest and was never seen again. I wondered about that desperate man, his fear and loneliness, and about the Maine game wardens who chased him. If I had to pick the moment when The Poacher’s Son really gelled for me—all the elements suddenly coming together in my imagination—it was that night over the campfire.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and discuss The Poacher’s Son.  I’m looking forward to our month-long adventure together. 

Best regards,

Paul

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,Thank you for the opportunity to share and read 'The Poachers Son' I have spent some time in Maine,and how exciting is for me to have you here.We are  as special as your book,meaning most of of here Love to explore new books,mysteries in particular.From the few pages I have read,I can tell that it will be hard to put down..We are here for you as well..Any questions you may have ,please fell free to ask...We also always have many questions..its just our nature..Looking forward to March 1st..Best,Susan.VermontCozy...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul,

A very warm welcome to you.  I must admit that I have already peeked into The Poacher's Son.   That one peek led me into reading several chapters of your book, so with regret I closed the book so I can read along with the First Look Bookclub.  :smileywink:

Phyllis
Frequent Contributor
mgorbatjuk
0 Kudos

I too have started the book and I think I've made it to the first part of the mystery. I can see where the father/son issue is going to create a dilema. I can't wait to get into the book further and see where it takes us.

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

First of all welcome, and it was a very nice reflection and it was so interesting to learn a little more about you, cant wait to start the discussion!

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

I've already started reading and I'm hooked!! I think you will have much success with this book :smileyhappy:

Thanks for sharing!!

Danielle

Correspondent
LadyMin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome and thank you for giving us a little background. I just started reading the book and already I want to read more, but I'm waiting for the schedule. Mysteries and characters who love the outdoors are a few of my favorites. I am looking forward to the discussions.