Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Welecome to out little group! :smileyhappy:

I'd like to add my thanks for sharing your novel with us. Mysteries are probably my favorite type of book to read ... looking forward to the read and the discussion.

Inspired Contributor
lg4154
0 Kudos

Welcome Paul and thank you for giving us this opportunity. I have not started the book yet, I am trying to wait to be on schedule, well, we will see how long that lasts! lol

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Paul, and welcome to our, well, not so little family any more.

I love the First Look club and one of the main reasons is being able to talk to the author. I like that they give us invaluable insights as to the why and so on of the novel.

I like the point that this is a book that you would want to read and being reader yourself I'm sure enhances the story. I love mysteries of all sorts from crime drama to romantic suspense and all the other sub genres of mystery.

I haven't started the book yet, I think I'll read it on schedule so I don't accidentally give out any spoilers, but I can't wait to start turning the pages.

Thanks again for being with us, it can't be easy to have your novel under our microscope so I envy your courage.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Paul, the pleasure is all ours!

Thank you for sharing your creative process with us. I'm severely addicted to well-written mysteries... I suffer intense withdrawal within hours of being deprived of one.

I'm intrigued that your story is driven by the choices your characters make....  many, if not most, mysteries, are character driven... and the poor things are trapped where choices have already been made for them.

Looking forward to sharing more of your insights!

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Welcome Paul!

The pleasure is all ours and thank you for the background information.  I have read about five chapters so far and I'm loving what I've read and can't wait to read more.  However, my husband (who doesn't read as much or as fast as myself and our son) grabbed the book when it arrived because he loves Maine (goes snowmobiling there every Winter) and I'm trying to get it back from him!  So, glad that you could join us and thank you so far for the wonderful read! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for sharing your work with us.  I love that 'First Look' has picked it's first mystery, that it's yours, and that I get to participate.  I've started your book, and am purposely going thru it slowly (which is hard for me).  And now I'm really glad I haven't zoomed thru since I wouldn't have had the background and intent you posted here.  Now, I can continue on with a slightly different perspective.

Thanks again so much to you and 'First Look'.

Susan in CA

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Paul:

What I like about the First Look bookclub is hearing from authors, such as yourself, and learning about their reasons for writing their book. This is just an added ingredient to what is already a very enjoyable reading experience. Being able to openly discuss back and forth and ask questions of the author is also very invaluable.

I have decided to stop at the end of Chapter 8 figuring that is 1/4 of the book and won't be too far ahead of schedule. I am really enjoying your book and looking forward to our first discussions!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

Paul, thank you for stopping by with the additional insight into your novel. As this is my second First Look book, I have, as many others have posted, stopped reading after Chapter 5 so as to be able to join the discussions as scheduled. For my first First Look book last month, I finished the book before the first day of discussions and realized that I had to post spoiler information in my posts. I also did not get to enjoy discussing the book and characters with the author - a mistake I will not repeat.

I look forward to reading more of your novel and "hearing" your discussions about readers' comments.

Lisa

Contributor
ann1009961
0 Kudos

Thank you for the background info and thank you very much for sharing your book with us here.  I haven't read any of the book yet, but I'll be starting it this weekend.  I used to read mysteries frequently, but strayed away from them, and so I am truly anticipating reading this story.  We go to Maine on occasion; last time was a couple years ago when we hauled the camper up to Madawaska to visit some friends on Long Lake.  What a marvelous drive & a beautiful area.  I look forward to seeing Maine again in the pages of your book.

Ann

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thank you so much for the chance to read this wonderful book. I've already read a couple of chapters and so far I am truly enjoying it. I'm so excited, I can not wait to start the discussions that are coming up. Thanks so much and welcome to our big family!

~Sara~
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Let me take this opportunity to tell you that I started reading your debut novel, and it has captivated me right from the start.  I also wanted to welcome you into the fold, so to speak, and tell you that we are the ones honored to read your novel. 

I really like your writing style and being from the northeast, I can relate to many of the reasoning behind your writing.  Thank you so much for this opportunity to preview/preread your novel.  It takes great courage first of all to start the process of writing and to now have a finished product to look at, you can take pride in a great accomplishment. 

Just so you know, we are a lively group and you will get a lot of feedback.  But don't worry, we are kind and a fun loving family here at First Look. 

Once we get to the section where we will be asking questions of you, I will probably have at least one or two, but for now I just say thank you again for allowing us to read your novel.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
DSlaughter
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for giving us the chance to read your book :smileyhappy: I haven't started reading yet but I plan on getting into it this weekend.  I love the plot and can't wait to dive in!

Frequent Contributor
looptyloo
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the backstory, and the opportunity to read this early. I got a little head start, and have enjoyed what I've read so far. 

Contributor
lyssadesilvio
0 Kudos

Hello!

I can't seem to put the book down! I keep telling myself I need to wait for a schedule but I find myself picking it up and reading more. I cannot wait for the discussions. Awesome book so far!

Alyssa

Inspired Contributor
Ronrose
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks you for the opportunity to share your first novel.  It has been many years since I visited Maine, but I have always hoped to go back. Now I have that chance through your book, assuming I can finish it before  my sister spirits it away.  Maine is one of her favorite vacation spots and she can't wait to read your book as soon as I finish it.

Ron

Inspired Contributor
JuneC
0 Kudos

PAul,

Thanks for the intro letter.  I'm on Chap 22 and admire the willpower of the group members who have put the book down in order to stick with the proposed schedules. I am weak!  HA!

Contributor
tdunham220
0 Kudos

I too, enjoyed the background information you gave for the book. I just finished reading the book ( I know, I know, I am too far ahead!)  but I had a hard time putting it down. I really the setting and enjoyed learning about game wardens and picturing life in such a rural area. I'll save the rest of my comments for the book discussions:smileyhappy:

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Welcome to our little club!  Thank you for the backstory behind this novel.  I have read the first two chapters so far .  I just love your writing style.  The way you described life in rural Maine and the characters makes me feel like I am right there in the story.

Carolyn 

Frequent Contributor
Rebz
0 Kudos

I'm in the process of reading this novel now and I'm LOVING it! Thank you for allowing us to read it! I can't put this book down! My friend has already finished her copy, and she loved it also!

-Becca
Contributor
Susan57
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,  Welcome to First Look- I got the book and read it to its end.  It's good.  Congratulations on your first book! 

Susan