Frequent Contributor
TiffanyLynn
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful book with us.  I can say wonderful because I finished it in two days!  I really enjoyed your style and the story.  I can't wait to hear more about your thought process while writing the book and the characters. 

Tiffany

Contributor
0 Kudos

Just starting the book.... Looking forward to the discussions!

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Paul, nice to "meet" you.

I must confess I can hardly stop reading the book. 

Mystery has been my favorite genre since I was about 11 or 12 years old, but I assure you, if this was the very first mystery i have ever read it would make me a mystery fan forever! It's just that good!

Looking forward to reading more of the book and discussing it.

Linda

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Contributor
DfiggZ
0 Kudos

Thank you for the info! I too am a few chapters up and that def clear a lot of things up. I am very much enjoying this read.

Inspired Contributor
jbnie
0 Kudos

Thank you for the insight. I am enjoying the  book and I am looking forward to the discussion. Maine is one of my favorite states, full of natural wonder. The history of how the book  stared has really helped me enjoy the book more. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
historygirl2008AS
0 Kudos

Hey,

Thanks for the backgroud of your novel and for the oppurtunity for us to be able to read it!

Contributor
jwave
0 Kudos

Dear Paul:

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself and your book to us. I have begun but am awaiting further instruction.  Having been raised in and educated in New Hampshire, I have spent much time in Southern Maine. (Midnight at LLBean anyone?) 

So far the book has many "homecoming" moments for me, since I have not been there in 20 years.  It makes the book all that much more enjoyable for me.  I am anxious to explore your characters and enjoy the ride you will take us on.

Thank you,

Judy

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Vt Cozy wrote..Besides being so thrilled to be involved in reading Paul"s "The Poachers Son"",I do remember "Midnight at LLBean..besides "all their great Gear,we also bought a 'Club Chair" Ah,only in Maine..I live in Vermont,and have traveled around Maine,with love,also  much of my  family lives  in NH."The  Poachers Son" is just  an intriging book,will be on schedule..maybe..I will try..Thanks for the Memory  jwave....Vtc  Susan..
jwave wrote:

Dear Paul:

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself and your book to us. I have begun but am awaiting further instruction.  Having been raised in and educated in New Hampshire, I have spent much time in Southern Maine. (Midnight at LLBean anyone?) 

So far the book has many "homecoming" moments for me, since I have not been there in 20 years.  It makes the book all that much more enjoyable for me.  I am anxious to explore your characters and enjoy the ride you will take us on.

Thank you,

Judy

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thank you so much for your post.  As this is my first FLC book, I didn't know about the schedule, lol.  I picked it up and could not put it down...  Hence I am already finished and I enjoyed it immensly.  I am really looking forward to being able to discuss at book with it's Author.

Becky in IN

Contributor
Phoenix913
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dear Paul

I have just finished The Poacher's Son and I can hardly wait for the discussion to begin! I will most likely go back and revisit the book as we progress.

I definately have to say it is not the ordinary mystery thriller and that is what makes it such a worthwhile read. The visual imagery is incredible. I am a Southern gal and I only wish to visit Maine when I can wear short sleeves, but I have actually been to a small town called Spruce Head. My husband and I went there on our honeymoon. Some friends of his let us use their house for our vacation. (Yes, it was in the early fall!) Reading your book brought back fond memories of our trip there as you described the landscape and the scenery.

Each character has to struggle with their own past and their own perception of reality. I could honestly empathize with each one. Every person has difficulty accepting that significant others in their lives, be it a parent or child, make mistakes of their own. Sometimes these mistakes carry grave consequences.

I don't want to expound too much on deep philosophy here, but I do want to say you did an outstanding job. The end really surprised me.

Thank you for letting me be a part of the preview. I am sure it will be a huge success!

Phoenix

Inspired Contributor
nadine1
0 Kudos

I already finished reading The Poacher's Son.  The story was so compelling that I suggested that my father read it while he is waiting for the next Harlan Coben mystery book to be released.  Needless to say, neither my father nor I could put your book down. 

I am waiting for the discussion to begin and don't want to spoil the book for everyone else.  In the meantime, I appreciate your background information on the great outdoors, game wardens, a bear killing pigs, an old prisoner of war camp, etc. 

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

Thanks for introducing yourself, and giving some background on the book.  Two days ago I picked it up, wanting to read the first few chapters before the discussions started, got totally immersed in the story, and soon abandoned the idea of reading it piecemeal over the next month.  So I've finished it, and want to congratulate you on a most impressive debut into mystery writing.  I don't know how easy it is to switch from magazine non-fiction to writing a really good mystery novel, but I suspect it's quite a trick.  I'm glad you were inspired to try! 

I'm looking forward to the discussions;  I loved the descriptions of the setting, the characters, and just about everything else.  Thanks again.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Paul-Dorian, Gail Marie, here and I just wanted you to know that I have started your book and so far I am really enjoying this book. Right now I am right in the middle of the book but what I have read so  far I have to say that this is a great first book and I am so glad that the other Paul pick your book. Can't wait to get to the end and I will be enjoying the discussion that will be starting up soon. Thank again for such a great chance to read your very first book.

Frequent Contributor
nbmars
0 Kudos

I have to say that I couldn't resist taking up this book and then I couldn't put it down until I was finished.  But I plan to read it again along with the schedule, because it was so good and because then I can get author and co-reader insights into it.  I loved it!

Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

Paul-

In reading these posts, I realize that there are many of us who were COMPELLED to finish your book.  I am one of those!   Not only that, I handed it over to my husband and he has read it too.  We both loved your imagery of Maine (we spend several weeks at Pemaquid each summer) and the story was very well plotted.

I am going to have to reread the sections to be sure that I don't give away any secrets!  Looking forward to the discussion.

Sandy

Macon GA

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

It seems to me this is a first for First Look. You have written the "perfect" novel; both men and women are going to respond positively to the story and that will make this discussion different from most of the others. Do you have any idea how many self-disciplined readers have given in to the temptation to not only read ahead of schedule but to throw caution to the wind and read your novel through to the end.

Let the discussions begin.

Aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Correspondent
Sadie1
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thank you for giving us some back story to your story.

I started your book last night and could not put it down until I was too tired to read anymore.  I made it to page 130 in one sitting.  Kept telling myself, I would stop at the end of the chapter and couldn't.  Had to keep going.  It's all your fault!  LOL!  So far, I am thoroughly enjoying your story and your writing style.

I'm being enlightened about Maine while reading your book too. I have a friend that is a Game Warden in Cherokee, N.C. so am a bit familiar with the bizarre things they go through.  It is an interesting life.

I love mysteries and who done it's!  It's refreshing to read a new author with a new style.  I can't wait to finish this book and start the discussions.  I also can't wait to read what Mike experiences next in another book.

Also love the cover of the book.  Looks a lot like the North Georgia Mountains too.

Lisa in Atlanta, GA

Reader
lag117
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for stopping by, very exciting! I've only read a few chapters of your novel and so far I am hooked. I can't wait to read on and discuss this with everyone. I look forward to more of your work.

-Lauren

Frequent Contributor
rosia408
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

Welcome to our First Look Book Club here at Barnes and Noble. Like a few others I have also started your book and have FORCED myself to stop so I could check the schedule. I didn't want to get too far ahead of everyone. Glad I checked as I have just finished chapter 9.

So far I am really enjoying the book and looking forward to what others have to say about it.

Rose

Contributor
brennalee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello Paul!

Please accept this in humor but I am blaming you for my lack of willpower in reading along w/ a schedule :smileyhappy: I finished the book tonight and will try very heartily not to give out spoilers to other book readers in regards to its content. I do enjoy the fact that you combine not only a mystery but an enjoyment of nature into the same book. Its rather a complementary read to the other book I had set down and still need to finish reading called Wildlife Wars: The Life and Times of a Fish and Game Warden. Are you familiar at all with it? Perhaps not, you most likely pulled what you needed to craft your tale from other sources, but I wouldnt be surprised if you drew some of your character's nature from a real life warden on way or another, it is very spot on. And I must say, it was a very easy and natural transition to go first from individual first hand tales to reading your book. Very enjoyable overall, a couple of rougher transition points in your book, but perhaps only perceived rough because of my critical nature lol, I would have loved to have seen a few scenes fleshed out more, I will go into that as we read through and discuss fully!

"Books may well be the only true magic." Alice Hoffman