Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09

Re: Dear Readers

Hi Paul, and welcome to the group!

I found the survival tactics interesting----how to elude the police and the dogs with regard to smell and how to exist out there while staying off the grid. Very interesting. 

Thanks for sharing this behind the scenes view with us.  It's always nice to have the author give that background information that gives the story depth.

Looking forward to the rest of the story...

--Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Contributor
ginger2010
0 Kudos

Dear Paul:

Thank you for the opportunity to review your book.  As others have already said, I could not put it down.  The story was very compelling.  I look forward to this book club.

Reader 2
kemondNH
0 Kudos

Thanks for allowing us a read of your book. I really enjoyed it, and found I just wanted to keep reading. I spend summers in Maine, near Lewiston, and every year we drove for hours to go to the Skowhegan Fair. Growing up in New York City, it was incredible for me to see so much empty space, the logs rolling down the river, and the activities at the Fair. The horse pull, I think it was called, was a favorite for my whole family. This book brought back many happy memories.

I'm looking forward to your next book.

Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group. I have to admit I was skeptical at first as to what would be the mystery in this story. After all the book is about someone working in the woods and in the eastern part of the U.S. And our last book club selection was also in that area of the country in the woods but it turned out to be a love story. I was also thinking what's up with the woods?! Not your fault of course just happens to be how Barnes & Noble selected the books to read. Anyway, I have read the majority of the book and have really enjoyed it. Thanks for the background info as it does explain some where the story came from. Looking forward to finding out how it ends.  Kim

Contributor
cbaaa108
0 Kudos

OOPS! I read the whole thing last weekend however I don't think I will have any problems reading it again. My first time with a book club/discussion of any sort and am really looking forward to this. Thanks for this opportunity!

Cathy

New User
tjbb
0 Kudos

Hi Paul, I have started to read your book, and made myself put it down at chapter 10, waiting for the schedule and discussions.  

Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
0 Kudos

Thank you Paul & B&N First Look for the opportunity to read this book .I have jumped ahead of the discussion because I can't put this book down.I'm on chapter 24 and can't wait to see how it plays out.

New User
annejuly
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I am from Washington and I have always felt that we were "bookend" states with Maine as with are the two northern coastal states in the contiguous 48,  and we both are heavily forested with lots of wild area  (although I don't think Maine has a nearly desert dry side like we do.) 

I am a first-timer and was not aware that there was any sort of schedule, don't think I got any directions, so I have read nearly to the end and am constantly curious as to what twist is going to jump in.

Mysteries are like haunted houses, you are constantly aware that something scary may happen soon.

Frequent Contributor
ruthieWW
0 Kudos

Paul we are all delighted to have you join this First Look Book Club. Thank you so much for the first hand account of the background for this mystery. I have to say, that I have already started reading and I am totally hooked. I am enjoying it immensely!

New User
JPeters408
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

I have finished the book.  I didn't know we were on a schedule.  Ooops!  Though it would have been hard to stop reading it.  I have enjoyed this book from start to finish and like some others have said, I find it hard to believe that this is your first novel.  It  was very good not only in descriptions, but also in flow and plot.  Your characters were interesting and believable.  Thank you for the background on the book.  I think one of the reasons I wanted to read this book was not only because it was a mystery novel, but it was about things and places I haven't really read about before.  The job of Game Warden is not one I am familiar and so that made Mike's character all the more interesting.  Also, Maine is a state I have never visited, unless you count all the years I watched "Murder She Wrote", but lord knows they probably didn't even really go to Maine for that show like all other shows on TV, everything is shot on some back lot in LA.  In other words, I am saying that you found a story that had not yet been told and it was nice to read something original and new.  Thank you for this wonderful mystery.  I hope you continue writing.  I know I will continue to read your books if you do.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JPeters, it's my first time in a First Look book club, too. I fully intended to read a chapter or two, but ended up zipping through 100 pages in my first reading. It's a great book, and I don't think I'll be able to sit still until I've finished it. I'll just go back and pretend I haven't read the parts we aren't discussing yet.

Contributor
sailorreader
0 Kudos

I just finished this wonderful book and from my prospective, weight can certainly be lifted from your shoulders.

The twists and turns in this book kept me interested for the entire read.

I really enjoyed the book.

sailorreader
Contributor
torbank6
0 Kudos

Welcome Paul and thank you.  This is my first time in the First Look Book Club so i am not sure how to go about this...I really love to read and read the entire book in two days.....i love your description of the outdoors and the people involved in the eh book...I get a really good sense of what they might look like, and of course the father-son relationship that is so deep. Torbank

Contributor
Shaggy68
0 Kudos

Thank you Paul and Barnes & Noble!

What a great book for First Look.  I live in New Hampshire and spend lots of time in Maine.  We go camping, visit fairs, do lots of shopping and love it!

I was very excited to be able to participate in a discussion about a story with a setting in Maine.  I love the backwoods and outdoors all seasons and can certainly relate to your book.

The writing is fabulous.  Very descriptive.  I can imagine the surroundings and story as it unfolds right in my head as if I am there. 

I also did not know we had a schedule and finished the book.  It was very hard to put down, I always wanted to know what was next. 

The character development and story development are wonderful!  I loved how it was all laid out. 

I especially love the beginnning with the black bear. 

Thank you for the background information and good luck.

Shaggy

Reader
LeeKNY
0 Kudos

I have to say I enjoy the touches of humor you brought to the book and the game warden's duties.  The line about the bear enjoying "the other white meat" had me laughing and reading the line out loud to my family!  I also appreciate the details of the game warden career, dealing with "animals" both in the accepted form and in the form of humans.  It begs the comparison who are really "animals".

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Paul.I am also thoroughly enjoying "The Poachers Son" I have seen incidents of 'Visitors" in Vt.take for granted signage,simple things 'Like 'Crosswalk,NO Parking. Etc,lots of honking....Our town is a hub of activity during the Ski,and Horse Show Seasons,we are grateful for the visitors,and sometimes people forget ,we are a small town,very laid back,and would help a stranger  in a heartbeat.The Desalt incident is probably more commonplace,then we know.Its really all about Safety,not Mike's ego that allows him to do his job.The boy was probably better off on land then on water with his obnoxious Dad..VT  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks, Paul (Paul H. AND Paul D.) - I'm really enjoying THE POACHER'S SON.

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

I am really enjoying this book, and trying hard not to read too much at at time.  I can't wait to see how it ends. :smileysurprised:

Linda

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Contributor
ElizabethPA
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

I, too, appreciate the background information. It is easy to tell from reading the novel that you are very familiar with the people and the nature of Maine. I lived in Northern Maine as a youngster so I found your portrayal of the landscape and the isolation of the characters very accurate. I guess it shaped my personality because I still love living in the woods despite the fact that I no longer live in Maine.

The characters as well remind me of the “Mainers” we knew. Most of them were similar in that they had little to say but were resilient and unafraid of the outdoors and nature. Their intelligence shown through in their down-to-earth approach to life rather than in being phony or put-on.

I am almost finished with the book – I agree with the rest of the group – I couldn’t stop reading. It is a fast paced and well-told story. My husband is waiting to read it next and as a hunter and woodsman I think he will enjoy it too.

Thanks for joining us. I look forward to the discussion. 

dhaupt

There's a great article and review in Library Journal about this book

here's the link

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6720995.html?nid=4683&rid=18808557&source=link