Contributor
CK2750
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Thanks you< Paul, for an enjoyable opportunity to read you book.  Since I am on vacation, I was able, and couldn't resist, reading straight through in very few days!  Yummy!  Lots of surprises in store for those more disciplined than I who are following the schedule.

Your setting and story remind me much of Neveda Barr's National Park mysteries, but you have an individual style.  Congratulations.

Paul-Doiron wrote:

When I learned that The Poacher’s Son was the first mystery to be selected for Barnes & Noble’s First Look program, I was honored and humbled. The weight of an entire genre now rests on the spine of my debut novel. Talk about pressure.  

In all seriousness I am delighted to have this opportunity to interact with you, my first readers, and I am looking forward to the experience of hearing your feedback and answering your questions. 

When I began The Poacher’s Son, my goal was simply to write the book I myself wanted to read but couldn’t find anywhere else. My current job is as the editor in chief of Down East: The Magazine of Maine. When I started at the magazine a number of years ago, I wrote a series of short features about offbeat stuff in Maine, and for some reason everything that interested me seemed to involve game wardens. A bear was killing pigs down the road; a warden shot it. A bobcat mistook a hunter for a turkey and jumped on his back; he called the wardens for help. It didn’t take me long to realize that Maine game wardens had really unusual jobs for law enforcement officers. Then, without really intending to do so, I began writing a novel about one.

My own tastes in mysteries run toward those in which the plot is driven by the choices of the characters. To me a novel becomes a work of literature when it prompts us to ask questions about our own lives and the fateful decisions we’ve made. So as much as I wanted to write a ripping good yarn, I was equally motivated to explore richer material. The Poacher’s Son is an investigation into the nature of unconditional love and the complicated relationships between fathers and sons. Does that make the book literary? I’ll leave that question to you for debate.     

Lastly, there is the role of the setting. I am a Registered Maine Guide, which means that I am certified by the state as an outfitter leading trips into the wilderness. My love of the outdoors is something I share with my lead character (I won’t tell you what else we share), and I wanted to give voice to the changes I’ve witnessed in the North Maine Woods.

I remember spending a week in a backwoods cabin with a friend who told me a ghost story of an old prisoner of war camp down the road, about how a German POW escaped into the forest and was never seen again. I wondered about that desperate man, his fear and loneliness, and about the Maine game wardens who chased him. If I had to pick the moment when The Poacher’s Son really gelled for me—all the elements suddenly coming together in my imagination—it was that night over the campfire.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and discuss The Poacher’s Son.  I’m looking forward to our month-long adventure together. 

Best regards,

Paul

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

There's a great article and review in Library Journal about this book

here's the link

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6720995.html?nid=4683&rid=18808557&source=link

vtcozy wrote..Thank you for the link..I hope everyone reads it..Terrific to read and see it in Library Journal...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

here's the link

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6720995.html?nid=4683&rid=18808557&source=link

vtcozy wrote..Thank you for the link..I hope everyone reads it..Terrific to read and see it in Library Journal...

Debbie, Thanks for the tip. It is good to see the books we read are appreciated by others. pen21

Frequent Contributor
kstempien
0 Kudos

Hi Paul!

First, I'd like to thank you for allowing us to read your book prior to it being available publicly! This is only my 2nd opportunity to participate in the First Look program. From what I've read so far, I can assume only that your book will captivate my attention straight through until the end. I find my self having a hard time putting the book down, as I am completely into it!!!

I'd also like to thank you for joining the discussion groups with us. I'm looking forward to reading your posts and getting more insight to the story as we go along! Thanks for the background information you have shared regarding the development behind your idea for the story. It has certainly helped to know how you have gotten your ideas.

Thanks again & best wishes for a successful run with this book!

Contributor
Mainelady

Hi Paul and Paul....thanks so much for giving us this fantastic opportunity to read "Poacher's Son."  I could not put it down!  It is well plotted, well-written, with characters that are quite real, and scenery that you can almost smell.

I live here in MidCoast Maine (just down the road from DownEast Magazine) but am embarrassed to admit that I never really understood what the Maine Warden's job was until I read this book.  It will be an eye-opener for many readers.

I am looking forward to the discussions here and promise I won't jump ahead and spoil it.

Thanks again.

Frequent Contributor
mooks
0 Kudos

Thank you for dropping by and congratulations on this your first novel.  I cannot say I am a mystery genre fan, but i am enjoying this story very much.  Looking forward to reading your insights as we discuss your book.

Cheers!

Contributor
inkslngr
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thank you so much for joining us and our discussion.  This is my second first look book and I really enjoyed the input of the author on the last book.  So, here is hoping you make this book just as fun.  I hope I am not putting too much pressure on you.  We are a very casual group.

I love your book and have to admit I am going to read the last few pages this evening.  I can't wait to see how it all ends up.

Here is to much success. 

Phyllis (inkslngr)

Contributor
DebAMI
0 Kudos

Thank you for this wonderful mystery.  I have to admit, that I, too, cannot put this book down.  Lots of twists and turns and I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

Deb in MI

New User
hazan21
0 Kudos

Now I understand why the descriptions of the woods and his surroundings are so great! It has been really hard to pace the reading, I would have gone throught it in a night, It´s a "5 more minutes" at 2 in the morning book.  It´s being fun to read. Thanks

Contributor
Mia_C
0 Kudos

Hello Paul. Thank you for giving us the privilege of reading your book before its official release. I know the classification of the book is for facility among other things, but I must say it's more than just a mystery book. As good as the mystery facet of the book is, I enjoyed the other facets at least equally, if not more.

I enjoyed the description of the setting. I've not visited the Maine woods, but it made me nostalgic for areas I have visited.  I'm from the Northeast but I have a love for the grandness of the Southwest.  There's something primordial about being outdoors that your book reminds me of.

The main characters in your book have a certainty to their views that I appreciate.  It doesn't mean they won't stray or even fail, but I get a definite sense of their self-image, expectations and goals. I end up rooting for them, being disappointed by them, rallying for them -- you get the idea.

I also got reeled in by the pace of the book. You keep the mystery flowing rather smoothly.  It always just left enough room for uncertainty to keep me reading. It wasn't easy trying to find stopping points -- a difficulty when I'm mid-chapter and I need to get off the train at my stop.

I've about a third of the book left so I'm being careful not to accidentally read spoilers -- I like getting to the end on my own. But I'm looking forward to a more extensive discussion.

Thank you again for participating in this forum. I admit I might not have stumbled upon your book otherwise, but now that I have I aim to recommend it to my reading buddies because I've enjoyed reading it and expect to enjoy it until the last word on the last page of the last chapter.

Contributor
illanna
0 Kudos

I am so excited to read this book. Had a few other books to finish, but will read fast now to catch up! Maine is one of my favorite places, and I think it serves as inspiration for the work of so many great novelists.  I love how the woods and landscape are almost like characters themselves. Time to get started..

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

Paul,

Thank you for allowing us to read your book before the release date!  I always feel very privileged to participate in these discussions as part of the First Look Club.  Having the opportunity to read such a wonderful book as The Poacher's Son AND getting the chance to speak with the author is a special added bonus.

Like many here, I enjoyed the book so much that I could not resist finishing it.  I loved every page!  I also never understood the full extent of a game warden's job.  I was fascinated by all of the intricate details you shared and facets involved with being a warden.

Maine is a beautiful state, and one that I have experienced personally.  I lived and worked in Bar Harbor during a summer.  I really had the best of both worlds because  I got to experience the "local" life, but also the "tourist" life.  I miss the friendly, easy-going atmosphere and sincerity of the people who live in Maine year round.  They really made me feel welcome and almost as if I had stepped back in time.  When it was time to head back to PA, we were driving two cars and got separated along the way.  My car stopped at a small antique shop, and a friend of mine found a small table that he just couldn't live without.  Sadly, we realized that our wallets had been left in the other car that was at least an hour behind us.  The older couple of the antique store insisted that we take the stand with us, and we could just have the other couple stop and pay for the item on their way through the town.  How trusting and touching was that?  Not many people would do that today, but events such as that were the majority of my experiences during my stay in Maine.

Aimee

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

Thanks for joining our discussion.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do!

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Contributor
MrsMc
0 Kudos

A big THANKS to you, Paul, for allowing me to read your thrilling debut before it is released to readers everywhere! I'm thoroughly enjoying it, thus far. You write in a very detailed manner...quite fascinating...it's keeping me so entertained that I forget that we're only reading so many chapters before each discussion! I look forward to seeing what the ending of the book has in store for us. Congratulations and best of everything to you! ~Sharon

Reader
DawnWA
0 Kudos

Thanks for the background info.  I am really enjoying our book!  I'm not usually a big mystery fan, but thought I'd give it a try.  I am so glad I did!

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

here's the link

Debbie,

Thanks for posting the link.  I love reading reviews of our First Look books.

Carolyn

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

here's the link

Debbie, Thanks for the tip. It is good to see the books we read are appreciated by others. pen21

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer