Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Last Thoughts

[ Edited ]

Please use this thread to share any thoughts or comments about Poacher's Son that we haven't covered on the boards.

Do you have a favorite passage or quote you'd like to share with the group?

If there is one scene or image that will stay with you from the novel, which is it?

dhaupt

Re: Last Thoughts

My last thought is that this won't be the last we see of Paul Doiron. He's an excellent author and storyteller and knows so much about the Maine wilderness to keep us all intensely focused on what's happening and where it's happening.

I want to also as always thank Rachel for being our gracious hostess and keeping us all on point while going through her own personal adversity.

And to Paul H, another great choice.

And of course to all my fellow FLer's who make it all so much fun and interesting.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I don't have a qoute but I do have a scene. It's the scene where Mike goes to find Charley once his plane had been shot down. It's something I won't forget as Mike is sure Charley is dead but is relieved about Charley being alive. Thoughts of Ora came to mine especially the condition she was in. It was very moving for me.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS

I also have a scene instead of a quote. I really liked the scene of Charley and Ora's home out on the lake in the middle of the Maine wilderness and their relationship. There are so many bad things that happen in this book, but this scene gives hope that good things do happen (acceptance and loving relationships that can endure hardships).

Frequent Contributor
kstempien
0 Kudos

I have to agree that the scene of Mike looking for Charley in the end sticks out in my mind. In my mind, I thought Paul would've made Charley die, leaving Mike to relay the news to Ora. I'm glad I was wrong though, as I see Charley as a positive model in Mike's life. I'm hoping that we will see more interaction with between them in the future.

I need to say again that I'm happy I had the opportunity to read this book. I was amazed by how captivating the story was. Just when I thought I had something figured out as to who the real murderer was, Paul managed to throw a curve ball to put someone else in the mix. The plot thickened straight to the end, never becoming stale or dry.

Paul, Thank you SOOO much for allowing us to read this; I can't wait to read more! I had a hard time picking out the real killer this time, but I'm hoping that I'm right about Sarah and Mike in future books??? :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

I really like the last line of the book, "People disappoint you so often. I hardly knew how to react when they surpassed all your hopes." This is such a true statement. Sometimes you really don't know what to think when people do the unexpected.

The scene that sticks with me the most is at the end when Mike realizes Jack's betrayal. It wasn't pleasant by any means, but it was very powerful and unforgetable. I thought it was very well written.

I absolutely love this book. It's one of my favorites.  I read according to the schedule, but I wish that I had read straight through. I lost track of some of the clues. Did anyone else have that problem?

Thanks BN for an excellent selection.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I also thought this book was engrossing and it made you want to read more towards the end. It felt like a baloon had just let all the air out of me when things finally came to an end. I hope to read another of Paul's books in the future. In the meantime, I want to thank Paul H. for pick such a neat mystery.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
skrupp
0 Kudos

I think the scenes with Charley and Ora at their house really stuck with me.  There was a lot of love and compassion that came out during those scenes.  Love can conquer many things.

thanks for a great book.

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

First I want to thank everyone who was a part of this First Look club. I read so many interesting comments and enjoyed sharing in the discussion. This is the best First Look book that I have read and participated in. So, thank you everyone, including, Paul H., Rachel and of course Paul Doiron.

My favorite scene is the one where Mike realizes his dad betrayed him. It was so well written that I got caught up in the emotion of that moment.

I am looking forward to reading the next book by Paul Doiron!

CAG
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No quote or particular scene stands out.  I just loved it all. Very well written and kept my interest until I read the very last line.   I will definitely be purchasing the next book in the Mike Bowditch Series as well as recommending The Poacher's Son to others.  Good luck in your writing endevours, Paul!

It was fun, thanks!

Linda

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

I was totally intrigued by this book because I never really thought I would get into a mystery novel, but like I said before there were parts of this book that I just felt like I couldn't put it down. At one point it was very late in the evening and I had to stop reading because I needed to get some sleep but I just kept thinking about what was going to happen later, so about 20 minutes later I had the light back on and I continued to read a whole new chapter!! Amazing...I will definitely recommend this novel to others and I already wrote my review!

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed The Poachers Son and was even more excited about it once I found out it is a first in a series.  There were a few things I would have liked tied up more in the book and that all made sense as soon as I found out it was going to be a series.  I am eagerly awaiting installment number two.

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

dclement04 wrote:

I was totally intrigued by this book because I never really thought I would get into a mystery novel, but like I said before there were parts of this book that I just felt like I couldn't put it down. At one point it was very late in the evening and I had to stop reading because I needed to get some sleep but I just kept thinking about what was going to happen later, so about 20 minutes later I had the light back on and I continued to read a whole new chapter!! Amazing...I will definitely recommend this novel to others and I already wrote my review!

Thank you so much recommending me. For a first time author sales really do happen via word of mouth. Most of the attention goes to the already established name writers. I really do appreciate your enthusiasm for my book.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Contributor
Susan5847
0 Kudos

Two things remain in my mind after completing this book.  One is the overall beauty of the Maine woods - the author made us feel that we were in the woods with Mike.  My second thought is how much I enjoyed the book and that I am really looking forward to another book by this author.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

The first thing that will stay with me is the way Paul described Maine. It is a beautiful state and his descriptions made me want to go back for a visit. I will also remember the moment that Mike realizes he has been wrong and has to fight for his life. He never gave up, and that bodes well for the next books. I can't wait for the next book! Thank you, Paul, for your book and your time.  :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

My last thought is that this won't be the last we see of Paul Doiron. He's an excellent author and storyteller and knows so much about the Maine wilderness to keep us all intensely focused on what's happening and where it's happening.

I want to also as always thank Rachel for being our gracious hostess and keeping us all on point while going through her own personal adversity.

And of course to all my fellow FLer's who make it all so much fun and interesting.

I agree! I'm sure we'll happily have the chance to read much more from Paul Doiron - what a great author!

Also like to add my thanks to Rachel, Paul H., and B&N and my feelow FLer's - this has been, as always, a wonderful and enriching experience!

Author
Paul-Doiron

Deltadawn wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I agree! I'm sure we'll happily have the chance to read much more from Paul Doiron - what a great author!

Also like to add my thanks to Rachel, Paul H., and B&N and my feelow FLer's - this has been, as always, a wonderful and enriching experience!

Hi Delta,

Thank you — and thank you to the many people on this board who have wished me well and predicted great things for me as a novelist.

The book will be in stores on May 11, but First Look has given me the rare opportunity to get a jump on the official publication date and begin talking with readers now

It's been a great experience!

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Rachel, I'm glad to see that there are some hardy patrons who stood up for themselves today and the library trustees have changed plans and are leaving all 24 libraries open. It's significant that there are people who are willing to step up to the plate when time is necessary. I'm glad about the changes; I know it's only a bandaid until July, but at least I can visit my library and feel happy with that.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

My favorite passage, bottom of page 46...

Does a bear **bleep** in the woods?  You'd better believe it.  Kathy found scat in the road beyond the cellar hole.  She crouched down and broke the black turd apart with a stick. 

"It looks like dog **bleep**,"  I said. 

"That's because he's eating meat.  If he was eating berries, it would be gloppier--like a cow patty." 

"Gloppier?"

"See how the grass is still green under the scat?  That means it's fresh.  Now you see what I mean when I say a warden really needs to know his **bleep**."

The scene I will always remember from TPS was the feeling of tranquility in Charley's and Ora's house when they had Mike over for dinner.  The first visual that popped into my mind was the scene from Eternal on the Water by Joseph Monninger when the new window was put in Cobb's and Mary's house.  And when I read that scene in EOTW, what popped immediately into my mind was the window in the movie All That Heaven Allows with Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson and the author made immediate reference to it.

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed this book. I loved that I was caught totally unaware at the end, you don't get that often enough anymore. Great book and I can't wait for the next one!