Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Last Thoughts

[ Edited ]

I was pretty much caught off guard,not knowing what to expect when Paul posted our next FirstLook"The Poachers Son" After doing a little research,and reading about Paul Doiron,I was excited.I read very slowly,but really didn't want to.For me it was all the details,in depth about each character,why Mike is angry,what makes Jack tick,and especially Charley.Remembering the scene at Jacks Cabin,and how scared Mike was,that is how I saw it..Charley could've arrested Jack in front of his son,and the whole story would've been so different.Fortunately Charley in my eyes is a true hero.A man of his word..I know I am going to follow Mike Bowditch,no matter where Paul takes him.I am invested now in these unique characters,and although Paul did introduce them to us,there's so much more we don't know..I look forward to #2.And Wish Paul Doiron all the Success his book deserves...Susan Vtc..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn
0 Kudos

I agree well put.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To Paul -- Good luck!  IMHO, this book deserves it.  How exciting the movie plans sound!  Hope the screen adaptation and the casting work occur and work out well!  It should have great settings in the more remote parts of Maine -- with little or no winter with which to contend . 

A scene that is likely to stay with me is the wardens chasing Mike away from the funeral -- it seemed so much about small group loyalties that pervade the novel.  I will probably find myself more alert for information on the inner regions of Maine, away from the coast.  Finally, I shall definitely watch for the release of the next novel in the series.

Thanks to all for the chance to participate in this First Look Experience.  Other than technical difficulties, it has been good and a privilege all around.

Pepper

PS -- Good thing I saved this.  Just got timed out and had to re-post.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you.So much to say.Such a positive experience,and PaulD..I hope he knows that we are a "Very Loyal Group"..We will be around for a long time,checking up on "The Poachers Son" ,and where he will be taking us next...Mike will be 25,and so much can happen in a year...I still think Mike has a half brother/sister out there..

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Everyone sort of suspected Charley was the killer. He even on my suspect list. Iglad everything worked out for him and glad to hear that Charley and Ora will be in the next book. As vtc said, Charley is the real hero of the book and I'm glad he was found alive after the plane was shot down.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

maxcat wrote:

Everyone sort of suspected Charley was the killer. He even on my suspect list. Iglad everything worked out for him and glad to hear that Charley and Ora will be in the next book. As vtc said, Charley is the real hero of the book and I'm glad he was found alive after the plane was shot down.

Hi Max:

There's a fairly well-known Buddhist proverb that goes, "When the student is ready the teacher will appear."

I think one can read the second half of The Poacher's Son in that light. Several readers have remarked that the book really began to click for them mid-way through. It doesn't surprise me (although there's much I like in the first half!). But bringing Charley in earlier was impossible. There would be no journey for Mike if he wasn't flailing away on his own at first.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Author
Paul-Doiron

Hi Everyone,

So today is my last day with you at First Look, and although I'll probably check in here one more time before the clock strikes midnight, I wanted to send you all my sincere thanks. This has been an incredibly rewarding experience for me. I was fortunate to receive some favorable early reviews before I came here, but you gave me my first feedback as a community of readers. In my job as a magazine editor, I'm used to criticism (you should read my mail, or on second thought, maybe you shouldn't), but that doesn't mean I wasn't anxious when this month started.

Reading your comments as you sprinted, strolled, or plodded through my book—and I suspect a few of you stopped dead in your tracks and went back the way you'd came—was a revelation. I learned what worked and what didn't; I discovered things I'm glad I tried and things I'd do over again if I could. (For instance, I obviously needed to be clearer about Sarah being Mike's girlfriend and not his wife.) But as I've said before, once a book is printed it ceases to belong to its author and becomes part of the reader's experience. It's been interesting to compare my The Poacher's Son with your The Poacher's Son. Ultimately, yours is the one that matters.

By coincidence, while I've been participating in First Look, I've also been finishing my second book to send to Minotaur. They'll be receiving it next week. (That's a promise, Charlie!) As I told Rachel, your comments directly influenced many of the choices I've made, so if you do read my next book (and I hope you do), you will know that you played a part in its creation.

If you enjoyed The Poacher's Son I hope you will boomark my Web site and become a fan of the novel on Facebook. The details of my author tour are still developing, but I'll post updates of my scheduled appearances in both places. Needless to say, I'd very much like to meet you in person.

And so, thank you. I'm sorry to see this experience end but hopeful that I have a chance to return here somewhere down the line. Please keep in touch.

Best wishes,

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Paul, what lovely thoughts and the pleasure was mine.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I loved your book. Sign in issues kept me out of the discussion today. Hope you enjoyed the little party. We do appreciate the time you have spent here. I am sure working on your next book and doing this discussion, kept you very occupied. I will be recommending your book to my friends.  And if I ever get facebook figured out, I will add you. I like the hints you gave on your next book. I can start speculating with those. Enjoy the release of your book.

pen21

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Paul..I guess you thought we just move on and forget,not so..Please visit and post here and on your website,when you have time..And BTW,your Word Scramble is So Lovely..Is it Possible to email it to PaulH and have him put in on your Board..Have a Good Weekend..www.pauldoiron.com  has the word scramble.. Have a look ,everyone..Susan,vtc..

Contributor
kleeGA
0 Kudos

My favorite part was when Jack stepped out and showed himself.  This was a great reveal and one that I admit I did not completely expect until it happened.

This was a wonderful book and very well written.  I didn't want to put it down.  I look forward to reading the next books in the series. 

Thank you so much to Paul Doiron for sharing his gift of storytelling with all of us.

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

You know, there were parts of this book I really liked, people that I loved, and parts and people that I didn't like so much.   I was very surprised at the way the story ended.  Looking back I like that I believed in Jack's innocence all the way thru right along with Mike, so the ending really did get me, as I didn't have a clue.   

It's funny really, the more time I've had to think about this book and read the comments, the more I think I like it.  Really wasn't too sure when I finished.  I think I'd like to go back thru it, maybe a little more slowly.  I do want to know what happens next with Mike; I want to know more about his family dynamics.  Charley and Ora. . . Sara. . .  I want to know more about all of these relationships.

I have to say, I think Paul is a great guy.  He's shown such great interest and respect, and has participated in a wonderful way with all of us FLer's.  And it's been so interesting reading his insights and motives. . . kind of the story behind the story.  Best of luck with this book and your next, and your next. . . .

Thank you so much, Paul and Rachael, for a great First Look experience. 

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Contributor
Mainelady
0 Kudos

I was so bummed when I thought we'd lost Charlie! and yet not surprised to find him 'resurrected'.  I think it was really important to have him around because if there are going to be more chapters in this story, Mike really needs a good strong male role model and Charlie is it.  Perhaps he and Ora can provide some relationship modeling for Mike and Sarah.

All in all, this was such a good read.  I took my copy to our regional librarian's meeting last week and insisted they all order it NOW for their libraries.  Since we're in Maine, there is such a tie in.  They were all super enthusiastic (and jealous that I 'd gotten an early copy:smileyvery-happy:),

Great Job Paul...we are looking forward to more of Mike's adventures and more about our beautiful woods.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Thanks for your kind thoughts. You probably faced a tough bunch of people to read your book. You were kind to bear with it and liked everyone's comments. Please know that some of us will follow you  and buy your next book. We won't forget you!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and am looking forward to the next one! I wasn't expecting the murderer to be ....! This is one of my new favorite books, up there with Oyster, One Foot in Eden, and Water for Elephants! Well done. Thanks, Barnes and Noble, for the opportunity to read and share thoughts on this one!

New User
Fl_bookworm
0 Kudos

I enjoyed this book - the ending took me totally by surprise.  Like Mike I was hoping Jack wasn't the killer and that just maybe there was hope for a relationship - what can I say, I love a happy ending. 

I did love the description of Charley and Ora's home.  I felt cozy and safe, tucked away in the Maine woods overlooking the water.  Charley has been a role model for Mike since that first encounter.  This was the type of man he aprised to become and I believe for Charley was trying to protect Mike from throwing it all away by taking him under his wing. 

In the end Mike did use the tracking skills his father taught him to catch him.  To me the book also showed how Brenda who was a child of abuse, never had the strength to move forward in her life, because she never had a positive role model to at least lead by example.  While Mike's father was also abusive, his mother removed him from the situation giving him the tools to become a successful adult.  All the killing was over jealously and lies.  

Frequent Contributor
rosia408
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful book with us. Glad to know that the next meeting with Mike Bowditch is already on its way to publication! I can't wait to meet up with a more mature, game warden, ready to grow even more.

I agree that Charlie was an amazing character as well. I enjoyed him as well as his wife and will be happy to meet them again too.

Best of luck with movie rights in the future!

Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
0 Kudos

First I would like to thank B&N and Paul for the chance to read this great book!I honestly don't know if I would have discovered it otherwise.I am looking forward to the next installment already!

My favorites are the character's looking forward to more Mike and how he deals with the whole thing & More Charley!

The scene that stays with me is the end Mike's realization of who and what his father was.Wonderfully written!

Can't wait to read more by, Paul Dioran!

Frequent Contributor
Darbys_Closet

[ Edited ]

"If there is one scene or image that will stay with you from the novel, which is it?"

I have several images that shocked me ......

1.  The first was when Jack came walking out of the woods after Brenda had called for him......  I thought for sure, without a doubt that he was not guilty!!!!

2.  When Jack shot down Charlie's plane, that broke my heart.....

especially after everything Charlie had been through in his life to have it end without his Ora by his side.

Yet the one image that will stay with me .....

Is when Jack comes out of the water carrying limp Brenda and then after trying to revive her, walks into the woods and kills himself.  That shocked me and I truly felt sorry for Mike, for obviously he nor we were aware as to how mentally unstable Jack had become over the years vs.. the image Mike held in his head (whether it was a true or fabricated image, doesn't matter) of  his father.

The quote I thought was excellent to end the book with is .....

"People disappoint you so often.  I hardly knew how to react when they surpassed all your hopes."  That is an excellent quote to sum up Mike's view of the world and his supposedly "self destructive gene", that he received from his father.

I so enjoyed this book and am very excited to read that Paul's second book is well on it's way!  Perhaps this same group can meet again on B&N to review Paul's next book. 

I know I'll be reading it regardless!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for a great discussion, and of course to Paul for a great read!

All the best to you Paul!!!

Darby

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well. (Jack London)
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Darbys_Closet wrote:

"If there is one scene or image that will stay with you from the novel, which is it?"

I have several images that shocked me ......

1.  The first was when Jack came walking out of the woods after Brenda had called for him......  I thought for sure, without a doubt that he was not guilty!!!!

2.  When Jack shot down Charlie's plane, that broke my heart.....

especially after everything Charlie had been through in his life to have it end without his Ora by his side.

Yet the one image that will stay with me .....

Is when Jack comes out of the water carrying limp Brenda and then after trying to revive her, walks into the woods and kills himself.  That shocked me and I truly felt sorry for Mike, for obviously he nor we were aware as to how mentally unstable Jack had become over the years vs.. the image Mike held in his head (whether it was a true or fabricated image, doesn't matter) of  his father.

The quote I thought was excellent to end the book with is .....

"People disappoint you so often.  I hardly knew how to react when they surpassed all your hopes."  That is an excellent quote to sum up Mike's view of the world and his supposedly "self destructive gene", that he received from his father.

I so enjoyed this book and am very excited to read that Paul's second book is well on it's way!  Perhaps this same group can meet again on B&N to review Paul's next book. 

I know I'll be reading it regardless!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for a great discussion, and of course to Paul for a great read!

All the best to you Paul!!!

Darby

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well. (Jack London)

Vtc Wrote  Sometimes when you read a book for the first time,only certain passages stay with you,and then I move on.With The Poachers Son being a complex novel,it does take a while for all to sink in,so to speak..Your pointing out certain passages brought the book back to life for me,again..Thank you Vtc...Susan