Contributor
Marcella87

Re: Poacher's Son: Middle Chapters, 8 - 18

How central or distant does the takeover of the logging seem so far in the story? What role do these local politics play in the lives of the the residents here? Do you have any other possible suspects to consider?

The logging take over is definitely important to the story, but I think its background to Mike's feelings of obligation to his father. 

Because so many of the residents rely on this land, I feel like Jack was an easy target. Some of the police force seem sketchy. Its a big deal for one of their own be be gunned down but we're supposed to operate under "innocent until proven guilty." It seems like Jack's boss could be in on the whole deal as well as a few other people. They're just fishy. 

I feel sympathetic to Jack's plight. Twombley seems off to me and I'm questioning his motives. I can see why Jack would evade the police; its difficult to prove any innocence when the system is working against you and when their looking for a scapegoat. A cop killer can't go unpunished. 

In Mike's scenes so far with Anthony Desalle--who's got the bigger attitude? Is Mike in the right? Is Mike any better at communicating with the people he's close to?

I was on Mikes side when he first confronted Desalle. He was simply doing his job, checking for proper registration and safety equipment. Desalle is a pompous jerk for feeling so inconvenienced by following the law. I also think Mike's concern for the welfare of the child is rooted in his own childhood. He remembers the need of approval from his father when they went poaching together. He sees in Desalle the same irresponsibility Jack showed for a childs welfare. 

I found myself irritated with Mike when he went looking for a fight and confronted Desalle again. He was using the boys welfare as an excuse to exert power. He feels like his life is spiraling out of control and by issuing a ticket he can regain a sliver of power. 

Do you have much impression of Mike's ex-girlfriend, Sarah?

I kind of like Sarah and that she showed up for support. She knew that Mike wouldn't ask for help so she just showed up. After Mike's description of her materialism, I was all ready to dislike her; but I was pleasantly surprised. I think after being apart they both were feeling as if it was a mistake. Sarah seemed to be okay with Mike being a game warden, and Mike was actually missing Sarah. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic but I was really disappointed with the way Mike treated Sarah the morning after. He has a very pessimistic attitude towards his relationship with her. It makes more sense to him to destroy something before it has a chance to grow, therefore; preventing any "unnecessary" hurt. 

We meet Mike's mother in these chapters--what is your impression of her?

As with Sarah, I was surprised when Marie was introduced. I think she still cares for Jack, and there will always be that piece of her heart devoted solely to him. I think shes conflicted about her affection toward him, which is why she accepts his phone calls but never calls herself. It's also why she keeps her little secret. She is afraid of her feelings for him, whatever they may be,

and what that might mean about her current marriage to Neil.

I think the relationship between Sarah and Mike is very similar to Jack and Marie. Both women love a man but aren't sure if love will conquer all. Both Mike and Jack distance themselves emotionally to prevent hurting anyone when in reality they're doing exactly that. Jack used alcohol, Mike uses his job as a game warden. Children are a product of their environment, I believe some of Mikes issues are because of his parents strained relationship. He just has to decide what he is going to make of that. 

Mike has a distant relationship with both parents. I feel like he partially blames his mother for the distance with his dad. Maybe if she hadn't left him things would have turned out different. I think Mikes choice as a game warden is a rebellion against his mother, he is following a career more towards his dads likings rather than going to law school. Subconsciously I think he feels like hes somehow making up for a lost connection with his dad. Even though Mike feels an obligation towards his father, I think he also feels the needs to make up for Jacks mistakes. By being a warden, he feels as though he is correcting all of Jacks wrong doings. 

I'm interested to see how the rest of the story turns out. Especially how things work out with Mike and his father, how the logging take over fits in, and where the behavior of the police force heads. 

Inspired Contributor
ambika22
0 Kudos

I wasnt able to finish until chapter 18 today...so here's what i think.
I have to say i didnt like Sarah at all. She calls him when she founds out his dad is in trouble and try to get back with him. It seems that she still cares for him, but they separated before and the situation hasnt changed at all. He still loves his job and isnt planing to leave it to be with her.
I think that the relationship that Mike has with his mother is kind of distant. They dont speak very often and she seems to live in a totally different world.
Inspired Contributor
dragonfly_yayn

How central or distant does the takeover of the logging seem so far in the story? What role do these local politics play in the lives of the the residents here? Do you have any other possible suspects to consider?The takeover of the logging land seems to be the center of the residents homes & livelihood, while providing many people with probable cause to be suspect in the murders.  Due to the very nature that most 'trouble makers' get for a reputation that then in turn makes them targets on many levels from the police, this has affected the local politics of the investigation. It seems that all residents on the land being taken over are suspects.

Compare life for the tourists and life for most of the locals. How does Mike fit in? He fits in more as a local but do to the fact of him being a 'newbie' & law enforcement dealing with hunting issues in a area such as Maine, he has not been fully accepted by all the locals.  But from a tourist such as Mr... Desalle, Mike is just another backwoods, cop wanna-be that is out to ruin his fun.

In Mike's scenes so far with Anthony Desalle--who's got the bigger attitude? Anthony Desalle by a landslide!

Is Mike in the right? Not completely due to the fact, by the 2nd run in with him, Mike has a big chip on his shoulder from all the events & is looking for 'work' to do & to get even with Anthony Desalle about his bogus complaint.

Is Mike any better at communicating with the people he's close to?As much as Mike seems to know why he does much of what he does, he seems to communicate best with others he is not close too, because of his position & the knowledge of how he should carry himself as an officer of the law.

Do you have much impression of Mike's ex-girlfriend, Sarah? She seems to be in love with him but not the lifestyle he has chosen, so she is torn.

We meet Mike's mother in these chapters--what is your impression of her? We see a different side of her in comparison to the memory descriptions that Mike has provided thus far.

Reader
paulusmc1
0 Kudos

In Mike's scenes so far with Anthony Desalle--who's got the bigger attitude? Is Mike in the right? Is Mike any better at communicating with the people he's close to? 

--I think Desalle has an attitude, but Mike knows just how to push his buttons, which makes him equally as "bad" in my opinion.  Mike it in the right, but there are other ways to go about getting his way as well.  And he opted to instigate an argument with Desalle instead of taking a higher road in that situation.

--My only impression of her so far is through Mike's eyes and opinions.  But so far I think she may be a little disgusted with Mike's career choice and wishes he would do something that made more money.

Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think the takeover of the logging is the key to everything every “leaser” has a grudge, they are all being kicked off land they’ve lived on for years. Oh there are tons of suspects everyone who lives on the mountain but Jack’s boss Russ is the main one for me right now.

The tourists are just temporary and don’t know or care to know what life is really like for the locals. Honestly I don’t think even Mike has figured out where he fits in yet.

I really think in the second confrontation with Desalle Mike was the antagonist he could have just walked away but his emotions are so raw he couldn’t stop himself.

Mike obviously has problems with communication the morning after him and Sarah spent the night together proved that!

I think Sarah still cares for Mike but honestly what happened between them was not at all what Mike needed. Also I feel like she still thinks he’s going through a phase .

Mike’s mother-Well it was interesting to find out how much she and Jack had kept in touch. For me the jury is still out on Mike’s mom I’m just not sure what to think of her.

And I guess we found out what was going to happen with the bear, Mike’s emotions are definitely starting to get the best of him I think that’s been proven with Desalle and the bear.

I think Chapter 18 was a big insight into who Jack is and the people around him.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

How central or distant does the takeover of the logging seem so far in the story? What role do these local politics play in the lives of the the residents here? Do you have any other possible suspects to consider?

The Maine Paper Co. rewarded their long time employees by granting them leases to build rustic vacation camps on their property or, as it seems, their homes.  Now a Canadian company comes in and says "Sorry, ripping up contracts, get out".  Of course, the locals are going to be up in arms about this.    Mike sees in the local newspaper the story about the town meeting and spots Vernon Tripp in the photograph.  Tripp had been thrown out of the public meeting after he threatened Jonathan Shipman, VP of Wendigo Timber.  Tripp said that Wendigo wanted to come in, dictate their lives and businesses and everything that they did would be controlled by Wendigo.  Tripp said  "you're about to learn a hard lesson.  Just wait and see."  Could it have been Tripp?  If the town's people were fearful about their lives falling apart, it could have been any one of them or even some one from the police department.  Russell Pellitier was angry because if Wendigo had their way, he would lose his camp so he had his motive as well.  With a whole community facing the possibility of being displaced, every one had a motive.  Or, could it have been someone from the outside who did it and let the blame fall wherever?

New User
LaX_book_lover
0 Kudos

You summed up my thoughts on the suspects and these characters exactly!

I think at this point everyone is a suspect. Everyone seems to have a little shadiness to their character that makes me wonder if they are the killer.

Contributor
Alohamora
0 Kudos

There's an implication that the situation with the takeover of the logging may be a major factor, but in chapter 9, any questioning about Jack's feeings toward the takeover make it seem that he has no interest in the politics of it.  It feels like a red herring to me.  In fact, every one that is portrayed as a possible suspect - Pelletier, Truman, Vernon Tripp - are so incompletely sketched that I am not intrigued by them or their possible motives.

Compare life for the tourists and life for most of the locals. How does Mike fit in?

The tourists we are introduced to are wealthy and accustomed to throwing their weight around and not being challenged.  The locals are in a very different socio-economic class, and look out for each other.  Mike, however, distances himself from the locals.

In Mike's scenes so far with Anthony Desalle

--who's got the bigger attitude? Is Mike in the right? Is Mike any better at communicating with the people he's close to?

Their attitudes are pretty equally matched.  Mike's looking for a fight at this point, because he is angry and frustrated over the way he communicated with Sarah and his father's situation.  While technically Mike is in the right, he pushed the situation too far, and probably wouldn't have if he were in a better frame of mind concerning his personal life.  Mike is a lousy communicator in anything but an official capacity, although his anger is still evident and his communication less than professional when he speaks with Mr. Thompson after he shot the bear.  He gets angry at drunks who aren't his father, instead of getting angry at his father the drunk.

Do you have much impression of Mike's ex-girlfriend, Sarah?

I am not seeing who Sarah really is.  All I see is Mike trying to make her a clone of his mother.  I would like to see her character developed more, in order to be able to contrast her motivations with Mike's.  I don't feel that we really get to know her at all.

Even though making a better life for herself and her son was her priority, she still has an attachment to Jack.  It seems that Mike has never invested any time in really knowing and understanding his mother.  In some ways she has strength to follow her dreams.  Her dream appears to be to have someone take care of her, so she doesn't need to continue to be strong.  We see in these chapters that Jack's feelings for Marie are very strong, but he is unable to shape his life to meet her needs.  Conversely, Marie cannot relinquish her aspirations to live the kind of lifestyle that works (?!) for Jack.  Mike and Sarah's relationship parallels this.

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

First I have to say that I am REALLY enjoying this book and am glad that I signed up. I just want to get to the end of the book because the suspense is killing me and I wanna know what happens!!

I think that Sarah is a smart girl and kinda knows what she wants. She doesn't want to be with Mike because she doesn't think that he will be able to take care of her and doesn't think that his job is really a career...i can't really blame her though...i wouldn't want to live in a small town like that and be "trapped" in the woods

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

I don't agree that Mike's mother is still in love with his father. I think she pities him because of the life he chose to live. Obviously, he still has feelings for her; but I think those feelings are more self-pitying because he "couldn't keep his woman" and because of this self-pity he feels the need to harass her when he's intoxicated.

She loved him once, but needed to leave him because he was selfish and destructive. She doesn't believe he's a bad person, which is why she still talks to him. As I, and others, have said, she feels sorry for him and doesn't mind being the shoulder he cries on - even if he doesn't remember it in the morning. As to why she keeps these conversations from her current husband - obviously he doesn't like her ex and would be angry that she's taking his calls. I don't think his anger would be out of jealousy -- he thinks her ex is a jerk and thinks she's delusional in believing that he didn't murder the police officers. She probably also keeps these calls secret from him because he may leave her because she refuses to believe that he's "evil" and won't cut him fully from her life.

As to Anthony DeSalle, I was initially suspicious of his behavior during his and Mike's first interaction. Why be so confrontational at the first meeting? I can understand being angry by the end of the first incident, but to start off being belligerent doesn't make any sense unless he has something to hide. But the friend, Frank, acting up when they see Mike again is also suspicious. As for DeSalle's son, I just feel sorry for that kid and because of the way his father treats him, he'll probably end up acting the same way as an adult..

Inspired Contributor
Sherry_Young

Initially, I think that DeSalle had the bigger attitude. Mike began conversing with the boy while noticing the boat did not have registration stickers as required. DeSalle approaches the scene with an attitude. Does he have this attitude always? Has he had run-ins with other figures of authority? We don't know, but his attitude and language seem to get under Mike's skin. It could be because Mike had just had his father come back into his life with the phone message and when he sees the boy is taken immediately back to his childhood. He wants to protect this boy from his father because no one protected him. Mike felt like his father was a poor role model and thus tells DeSalle the following:

" 'Sir,' I said, 'your son is watching us. You might think about the example you are setting for him here.' "

DeSalle's anger escalates at this comment. Mike sees this and is again worried for the boy. He feels like he now has the power now as Warden in this situation and decides to question DeSalle about the life vests. I think Mike would have left them alone had DeSalle reacted differently and had apologized for his language.

When Mike and DeSalle cross paths again, Mike is feeling out of control again. The harassment complaint made by DeSalle did not help the situation. Mike makes the poor decision to inspect DeSalle's boat. This time he does so to prove he is the one in charge and in control. He can't control what is happening with his father and feels he needs to control all other aspects no matter what the cost. It is the same way in which he made the decision to hurt Sarah now rather than later - a way to take control.

Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them. If parents and kids can talk together, we won't have as much censorship because we won't have as much fear.
— Judy Blume
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

That's someone I hadn't thought of but he surely can be a suspect. I'm geting towards the end of the book and it likes like it will not be revealed until the last chapter. Aw, nuts!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I think Mike's mom has issues in both of the marriages she has had.

She keeps a piece of herself out of the marriage.

Her marriage to Jack, they were young, it wasn't what she wanted.

Her next marriage, is it really working out. She is keeping the phone calls a secret.

I agree that it is not love, but a connection of some type between Jack and her.

What little we see of her current husband, he didn't seem to have a 'good' connection with his wife or his stepson.

The future books in the series could have a lot to reveal about his mom.

pen21

dhaupt wrote:

BookWoman718 wrote:

Just wanted to comment that I don't think Mike's mom taking calls from his dad means that she's still in love with him.   They married young and unformed and have a long history together.  She moved on from him and probably feels a little sorry for him, left in that life that has so little of everything she values:  material comforts, stability, education and opportunity for their son, 'respectability.'    She knows her leaving hurt him, and that he's never forgotten her.  He calls when he's drunk, and sad.   She talks to him to be kind and because, although he wasn't the husband she wanted, she once cared for him.  Note that SHE doesn't call HIM, she just takes his calls.   And she doesn't tell her husband because he would obviously prefer that she not be haunted in that way by a relationship that's over.  Why tell him?   He'd be concerned, and for no good reason.  She's been done with Jack for a long time;  there's no threat to her marriage if she's just kind to him.  She's happy where she is, and she doesn't tell anyone because the calls don't mean that much to her - it's a kindness she does for Jack. 

If it's no threat to her marriage, why not tell her husband about the phone calls from Jack. So he'll be mad or concerned but why keep secrets from your husband. And I agree with you that she doesn't love Jack anymore, I think she does it because her ego likes it that Jack still thinks about her, I think it adds to her shallowness. If she keeps little secrets like this, does she also keep bigger ones?

Just a thought.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Very good point. I think that fits in to all the things that have been presented about the mom. She is just kinda oblivious, naive definitely. But Mike's thinks of his mom that she found what she wanted after leaving Jack.

pen21

lannulis wrote:

Mike's mom -

I felt that she was someone who was naive, but also wanted to be that way.  Life is sometime easier not knowing what you ought to know.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

pen21 wrote:

I think Mike's mom has issues in both of the marriages she has had.

She keeps a piece of herself out of the marriage.

Her marriage to Jack, they were young, it wasn't what she wanted.

Her next marriage, is it really working out. She is keeping the phone calls a secret.

I agree that it is not love, but a connection of some type between Jack and her.

What little we see of her current husband, he didn't seem to have a 'good' connection with his wife or his stepson.

The future books in the series could have a lot to reveal about his mom.

pen21

dhaupt wrote:

BookWoman718 wrote:

Just wanted to comment that I don't think Mike's mom taking calls from his dad means that she's still in love with him.   They married young and unformed and have a long history together.  She moved on from him and probably feels a little sorry for him, left in that life that has so little of everything she values:  material comforts, stability, education and opportunity for their son, 'respectability.'    She knows her leaving hurt him, and that he's never forgotten her.  He calls when he's drunk, and sad.   She talks to him to be kind and because, although he wasn't the husband she wanted, she once cared for him.  Note that SHE doesn't call HIM, she just takes his calls.   And she doesn't tell her husband because he would obviously prefer that she not be haunted in that way by a relationship that's over.  Why tell him?   He'd be concerned, and for no good reason.  She's been done with Jack for a long time;  there's no threat to her marriage if she's just kind to him.  She's happy where she is, and she doesn't tell anyone because the calls don't mean that much to her - it's a kindness she does for Jack. 

If it's no threat to her marriage, why not tell her husband about the phone calls from Jack. So he'll be mad or concerned but why keep secrets from your husband. And I agree with you that she doesn't love Jack anymore, I think she does it because her ego likes it that Jack still thinks about her, I think it adds to her shallowness. If she keeps little secrets like this, does she also keep bigger ones?

Just a thought.

I think Mikes Mom is not in a happy marriage,convenient,,upscale.not fulfilling..And her secrets are many,will find out more as I read on,especially the other relationship that has me puzzled.Not Sarah and Mike...The next in the Series will be more detailed,for now Paul is setting everything up for us,and the details will follow..I am almost finished with TPS...Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
mattzay
0 Kudos

momofprecious1 wrote:

I think Anthony Desalle has an attitude problem but at the same time he is within his rights to be upset. I didn't think he was doing anything wrong the first time that Mike started questioning him. Mike definitely has the right to ask Anthony for his paperwork as that is his job but for some reason I felt like it was a power trip for Mike to be able to do so. Maybe Mike was putting himself in the little boys position & was hoping that someone would have questioned his dad when they were out killing animals & Mike was sick with Pneumonia. Anthony was ticketed the first time for not having enough life vests but it didn't seem like he learned his lesson because the second time that Mike confronted him the little boy was not wearing one. Mike holds a lot of stuff in & is not a good communicator, he tends to push everyone away. As for his relationship with Sarah, I think he keeps pushing her away because of how his childhood was & he doesn't want to give her false expectations. His mom stayed with his dad for 9 years until she was finally fed up because she realized that Jack wasn't going to change & she no longer wanted to continue being white trash & living in a trailer. She wanted more for her & for her son.

I think Sarah still loves Mike & she was hoping that the separation would make him realize that he does love her & needs her in his life. She called him the minute she found out what was going on with his father & drove over to see him because she cares for him. It really bothers me that he keeps pushing Sarah away when she still loves him & wants to help him.

The way Mike describes her it seems like she is now a rich woman who only cares about what other's think or will say about her. I was really surprised to hear that Jack has been calling her secretly since their divorce. Deep down inside she still cares for Jack & she believes that he is innocent. I think Mike really doesn't know his mom too well.

I don't think that I could have said it better. I agree that Mike seems to see himself in Anthony DeSalle's son. I think that is why he tries to figure out the child's reaction to what he is doing. I also agree that DeSalle seemed to have a big attitude. However, I think Mike should have known better than to confront him the second time. He knew that he was supposed to stay clear, but he seemed to need a release for all the frustration he was feeling and took it up on DeSalle.

I also agree that Mike does not seem to know his mom so well. While she may have seemed shallow and materialistic at first. I think she just wanted to get out of the life she was in. Maybe it seemed romantic to be married to someone so rough and raw. The "bad boy" image seems so appealing to many young girls. However, once she grew up and realized that he was never going to change, she decided to leave. It did not surprise me Jack still called her. I believe they had a strong love for each other, but Marie was at least adult enough to know it wasn't what she needed. It does not make her shallow, it makes her human.

Contributor
torbank6
0 Kudos

I think the logging conflict is central to the story.  The whole town and area around it will be affected and the towns people will lose their homes. Their lives depend on it,

I think Mike is a local thru and thru,

Mike is just doing his job with DeSalle. Both times he could have handled it better but so could have DeSalle who has a city attitude.

I think Mike loves Sarah but he can't give her what she wants and that is to move and go to law school. He can't seem to figure out how to balance a love of job and love of Sarah.

Mike's mother has a better life with her new husband but you wonder if she doesn't still have feelings for Mike's dad. 

Contributor
ginger2010
0 Kudos

I have to say that I have mixed feelings about Sarah.  I know that Mike loves her but I just don't want him to be with someone that wants to change him.  She wants him to be a lawyer and be more ambitious.  

Mike's dad wanted him to be tough and "not a baby".

Mike's mother saw that she needed to move so that Mike could grow up in a better environment.  She loved Mike and wanted what was best for him but at the same time, I feel that she is a little materialistic.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I had no impression set in my mind upon meeting Mike's mom. I do know she was secretive about phone calls made by Jack to her as she didn't want her new husband to find out. He evidently does not like Jack for some of his past doings and I guess Mom didn't want to open a rift between Jack and the stepfather. I somehow suspect that he knows about these calls anyway. Mike's mom is happy where she is right now. She got out of a bad situation with Jack and met the perfect husband who can take care of her and not abuse her.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Reader 2
MamaGoose49

You can't help but feel a little annoyed with Mike. He is showing lack of judgment with his personal life as well as his job.

He did not enjoy his time with his father but he is still trying to find approval from him. Instead of worrying about his father so much he needs to stop and think about his own life. The author does a wonderful job of showing how history can repeat itself. Hopefully Mike can break this cycle and find satisfaction with his life, whether it is in the forest alone or making a life somewhere else.

I  enjoy getting to know the characters, and I wonder how much Charley will be playing a part later in the book