Distinguished Correspondent
chris227
0 Kudos

Re: Poacher's Son: Middle Chapters, 8 - 18

Rachel-K wrote:

Please use any of the following questions to stir up discussion, or feel free to post your own questions for the group!

How central or distant does the takeover of the logging seem so far in the story? What role do these local politics play in the lives of the the residents here? Do you have any other possible suspects to consider?

Compare life for the tourists and life for most of the locals. How does Mike fit in?

In Mike's scenes so far with Anthony Desalle--who's got the bigger attitude? Is Mike in the right? Is Mike any better at communicating with the people he's close to?

Do you have much impression of Mike's ex-girlfriend, Sarah?

We meet Mike's mother in these chapters--what is your impression of her?

Personally, I get so caught up in Mike's personal story that I actually forget about the takeover until it is mentioned again in the book, so to me this storyline is distant from the true story.  These local politics however play a huge role in the lives of the locals because it totally effects their lives.  many are losing homes they have lived in their entire lives and turning their lives upside down.  There are definitely multiple suspects including Truman and Pelletier.

The lives of the tourists and locals are very different.  The locals are hard-working and not very priveleged.  Though they live in the wilderness that the tourists visit they do not get to enjoy their surroundings very often because they are so busy just trying to survive.  The tourists however visit to escape their everyday life and enjoy the outdoors and the leisure activities afforded there.

I definitely think that Anthony DeSalle is a huge jerk but in the secodn confrontation Mike really behaves no better than deSalle.  I was reminded of DeSalle's son during the scene in which warden Stevens visited Mike's father's cabin during the summer Mike stayed with him.  Mike's feelings and attitude toward the warden reminded me of DeSalle's son during their two confrontations.

I think that Sarah truly cares for Mike and visits him not only to see how is doing but also to show him she still cares for and loves him and possibly to try to rekindle their relationship.  I thought it was awful the way Mike treated her even if he was just trying to protect her from pain later on.

Mike's mother shows that she still cares for his father.  I was quite surprised to read that she still heard from and spoke to Mike's father. She showed that though she left because she was trying to protect her son she does still love her first husband.

Contributor
ann1009961
0 Kudos

The logging aspect of the story I think is very central.  By bringing in a commercial enterprise, one without a direction local connection, it threatens the very wild, outdoorsy nature with visions of vacation estates and driving locals out who have been living for years in the area.

As far as Mike's interactions with Desalle, while Mike may be right legally, I think in some respects Mike has the bigger attitude, which is is fueled by Anthony Desalle's air of entitlement, "do you know who you are talking to" macho attitude.  

Regarding the women in Mike's life, his mother comes across as soft spoken, but I think she has a strong backbone, probably in part from being married to Jack.  Sarah is lonely and thought if she came back to see Mike that they could pick up where they left off.  Mike thinks that nothing has changed, that Sarah still would not be happy with him because of his job and the fact that she wasn't happy about their lifestyle before she initially left him.  

Ann

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

The takeover of the logging is a central theme in the story.  It may be the key to solving the mystery; that remains to be seen at this point in the story.  Just like in real life, the motive for murder can be anything major or minor.

As in most touristy small towns, the locals resent the tourists even though the tourists are a major source of income for the town.  Mike doesn't seem to fit it with either group.

I don't like Sarah too much so far since she couldn't accept Mike for who he was and his career choice.

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

meme1 wrote:

I'm commenting before I've read other readers' posts, so I'm sure I will repeat ideas that others have shared.  Through Mike we see an attitude about out-of-staters coming into an area.  In this case it's the speeding, gas-drinking SUV pulling a huge speedboat with "city folks" doing the driving.  (Are we as the reader seeing the author's attitude?)  Yes, I think Mike has an attitude, but he is also doing his job when he asks for the paper work and life jackets.  (As an aside - I live on the shore of a lake. and it is rare to see children wearing life jackets as they float by in a boat.  Um, I think my attitude is showing through here!)  The city fellows also exhibit an enormous attitude:  we can do what we want because we are so much more important than the lowlife who try to enforce the law or the rustic people who dwell in this area.

The logging issue has a major impact on the people who live here.  Will people go to any means to keep things as they've been?  I'm speculating that that is what is happening.

I don't think that Mike's father is guilty of the murders.  I suspect Pelliter and another fellow.  But Jack makes a convenient scapegoat because of his past behavior.

This story has captivated me!  Thanks to the author and the selection person/people.

How central or distant does the takeover of the logging seem so far in the story? What role do these local politics play in the lives of the the residents here? Do you have any other possible suspects to consider?

Compare life for the tourists and life for most of the locals. How does Mike fit in?

In Mike's scenes so far with Anthony Desalle--who's got the bigger attitude? Is Mike in the right? Is Mike any better at communicating with the people he's close to?

Good points, particularly about the attitudes of the tourists vs. the locals.  I also agree that it's convenient for everyone to suspect Jack, based on his past actions.

Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

How central or distant does the takeover of the logging seem so far in the story? What role do these local politics play in the lives of the the residents here? Do you have any other possible suspects to consider? I'm not sure what this has to do with the story. It depends on who the murderer is, and what their motivation is. If it is to punish the takeover principals, then it will prove to be central. But I'm not sure if that is true.

In Mike's scenes so far with Anthony Desalle--who's got the bigger attitude? Is Mike in the right? Is Mike any better at communicating with the people he's close to? I think their attitudes are pretty similar. They both seem to want to prove something to the other. At first Mike is just doing his job, but that changes quickly. Then they seem to become equal combatants.

Do you have much impression of Mike's ex-girlfriend, Sarah? She seems to be a nice person, but Its hard to see her yet. I'll wait.

We meet Mike's mother in these chapters--what is your impression of her?  She got our while the gittin was good. She took her son and tried tom ake a better life.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

For me, these chapters really picked up the pace in the story. I found myself reading this section more quickly than the first seven chapters.

I think when Mike first meets Anthony Desalle he was in the right checking over his boat, making sure he had the proper registration and stickers. The second time they meet up, I think Mike was upset about not being able to help the investigation to find his father and was looking for a fight. Since Desalle had previously reported Mike to his superiors, I felt Mike was holding  a grudge against him and wanted to prove to Desalle he wasn't intimidated by him.

Sarah seems to still love Mike. She comes to his house when she hears what happened with his father.  I believe she would have stayed with Mike and tried to work things out if he hadn't announced to her that their sleeping together was only a one time thing and he wasn't about to change his life for her.

I didn't get much of an impression of Mike's mother at this point except she believes her ex-husband is innocent. She tells Mike his father is just frightened and asks him to help his father. I did find it interesting that Mike admits to himself that even though he is close with his mom that he never told her Sarah left him. Mike seems very closed off to the people around him.

April
Frequent Contributor
looptyloo
0 Kudos

I think the takeover seems a distant point in the story. While the story is built on the murder due to the takeover it is a nebulous off in the distance point that will be gotten to. There is no date given to provide a sense of urgency.

There are other suspects to be considered, but because they all would have the same motive, it makes them all the same.

For the tourists life is going boating, or hunting, and having fun. It is not what they are dependent on. The locals, however, that is their life. They hunt to provide food, for their family. They can use the product of their hunting for money as well. I'm sure they feel that there are people that look at their way of life as fun, but it is not fun for them.

Mike fits in more as a local, but can be seen as a tourist as well. His job to protect both the envireonment, and the tourists. In his job to protect the environment, may sometimes put him at odds with the locals that use the land.

In Mike's scenes so far with Anthony Desalle--who's got the bigger attitude? Is Mike in the right? Is Mike any better at communicating with the people he's close to? Anthony Desalle has the bigger attitude, but his big attitude, brings the attitude out of Mike. Mike's communication skills aren't the best, so that only makes Desalle's attitude more apparent. Mike does not communicate any better with others that he knows much better. He and Kathy have their own method of commuication, but his relationship with Sarah proves Mike's shortcomings in that area.

I can tell Sarah still cares for Mike. She obviously didn't want it to end, but one can understand her frustration.

Mike's mom seems to be Sarah before her time with Mike's dad. She was patient, until she couldn't take it anymore. They both wanted to improve themselves past the life they had as well. Mike's mom is obviously a forgiving woman.

Frequent Contributor
MelissaW
0 Kudos

I think that they both have attitudes in these scenes.  Desalle was clearly in the wrong in the first scene and Mike was correct in what he did.  I think that the second time that Mike runs across Desalle, he is not thinking clearly or he would have gotten someone else to deal with him. 

Mike is too much of a loner and too isolated because he is the only one who believes that Jack is being framed to be able to communicate well with those who he is close to.  He feels that he is alone and so doesn't open up with them as much as he should, nor does he really listen to what they are saying to him.

I think that Sarah really cares for Mike, but that she feels betrayed by him since he chose to become a Game Warden instead of going to law school.