Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Paul Doiron?

:

I understand that you grew up in Maine?  The Poacher's Son is a fantastic book, once I started reading it, I just couldn't put it down.  My question is did you yourself learn the art of trapping/hunting or is your knowledge from others?  Because of your descriptions of the places and animals and things in your book, it's as though I am there.  Once I started I just couldn't put your book down, it was so compelling.  The similarities between Maine and Oregon are amazing, in so many aspects.  Thank you very much

Jeanne, I appreciate the compliment. In my bio you'll see that I am a Registered Maine Guide, which means I am certified by the state in first aid, map and compass work, and basic woodcraft to lead trips into the wilderness. (Most states let any inexperienced, untested person advertise himself as an outfitter, which I think is pretty reprehensible.) Nearly all of the description in the book comes from my own life in the woods, learning from woodsmen older than myself and guiding others. I do hunt but I have never been interested in trapping, so that was an area I needed to research before I wrote The Poacher's Son.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Contributor
ann1009961
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Just a couple comments/questions

First, I think ripsh*t is a New England expression because it's used frequently here in Western Mass.

Second, I am very happy to hear that there will be more books about Mike coming out and am looking forward to reading more. 

Third, and not so much about the book, but have you ever been to Madawaska?  You mention it in the first paragraph of Chapter 9.  We were there 2 or 3 years ago and it took us 10 hours to get there from the greater Springfield MA area (hauling a camper and with a couple of stops for gas & stretching).  We stayed on some friends' property on Long Lake and it was absolutely beautiful there.  It was well worth the drive & we would definitely do it again.

Ann

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Ann, I have indeed visited Madawaska. One of my unofficial official duties as the editor of Down East Magazine is to travel to every town in Maine. It's a big state, at least for New England. People are always surprised to learn that it's a longer drive from Portland to Madawaska than it is from Portland to New York City. But the people in The County (as we call Aroostook County, which is Maine's northernmost) are wonderful folks, and you're right that the landscapes are beautiful.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote  :Good Morning Paul Just thought I would have my coffee,looking outside at the sunshine in Vermont..It been so beautiful but another storm for sure..soon.I work at a Ski resort,so we are always ready.I brought "The Poachers Son to work,and had to hide it  :  ).One of my co-workers,an avid skier.At 67,did read a few chapters,and wants to "Pay me" for the book,after I am finished reading it.Of course I said no,but would be happy to loan it to him.At some Point..Anyway he is going to pre-order it..Good,gripping mysteries,are just a joy to read,,Especially when it takes place in 'Our New England backyard"...Are you a fan of Archer Mayor and Howard Frank Mosher?  I suspect they will become fan's of yours..Looking forward to more "Mike Bowditch.".Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

Good morning Paul,

You have a wonderful writing style and I am truly enjoying your book.

Would this story have been different if it were not part of a series?  Would you have changed the characters or any of the storyline?

Bonnie

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Bonnie, you asked if The Poacher's Son would have been different if I hadn't envisioned it as the first in a series of novels. I don't think so. My hope was that it would be the first of many Mike Bowditch adventures, but I tried to write the book to be a self-contained work. When you are writing your first novel, you simply have no clue what (if anything) might happen with it, and I thought The Poacher's Son would have a better shot at publication if I provided some closure at the end. That said, I'm very glad you are enjoying the book, and the prospects for continuing this series even beyond my current contract keep looking brighter.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Susan, I love Vermont and have two very good friends who live in Montpelier, so I get over your way at least twice a year. When I was younger, I had the good fortune to win a scholarship to the Bread Loaf Writers Conference, and my wife is a Middlebury graduate. I've met Howard Frank Mosher who impressed me as a genuine and thoughtful man. I haven't yet met Archer Mayor, but I've read most of his novels (would that I could be so prolific!), many of which are published by my house, Minotaur. You're fortunate to live in such a beautiful and culturally alive state.

Paul

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Paul:

I am really happy to learn that Mike Bowitch will be around for awhile. I find him a likeable character in spite of some immaturity. I was trying to follow the schedule but I tripped over my dog on February 25th. I fractured the top of my humerus bone, which is in four pieces according to my recent catscan. I decided to finish the book since I am spending much of my time in the recliner and couldn't put it down. It is a real page turner! Hopefully, I it will be healing rather nicely by time we need to write the review because "hunt and peck" is not fun for me. I just wanted to let you know that I will be giving a rave review and will look forward to your next book!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you Paul for your response...You are prolific,why would you think not?So many instances in "The Poachers Son" have given me reason to rethink,and question,and just get into your head and where you are going with Mike..He is complex,and that's what makes his character so appealing.....I live near Manchester Center,and 'Worked for "Frog Hollow"..We are gone from Middlebury as well..I hope you were able to visit the gallery when it was alive and well..We are still in Burlington,a little bit far for me to drive to,and work...Glad you are here,..Maine has many,many fond memories for me..Susan..Need that LLBean fix once again...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Eadie, that's terrible about your leg. I hope you mend quickly. I've lived a pretty rambunctious life and have broken more bones than I care to admit. Thank you so much for your kind words about The Poacher's Son. As I've said elsewhere, I'm currently wrapping up Book 2 (as yet untitled) and have high hopes for it. I see that your signature includes a quote from Laurel Thatcher Ulrich; I'm a fan of The Midwife's Tale which I think is one of the great Maine books.

Paul

New User
historynerd
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Paul Dorian?

Hi, Paul. 

I, too, could not stick to the reading schedule.  I found myself lost in the book and ignoring all other distractions and duties. 

My question for you is, do you plan to stick with writing in the same genre AND do you ever plan to uncover the story of the POW camp in a novel?

I look forward to reading all of your work. 

This book is not my typical genre, so I was pleasantly surprised at how it drew me in and  held me there.  It is definitely one I will pull back out every once-in-a-while and re-read. 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron wrote:

Eadie, that's terrible about your leg. I hope you mend quickly. I've lived a pretty rambunctious life and have broken more bones than I care to admit. Thank you so much for your kind words about The Poacher's Son. As I've said elsewhere, I'm currently wrapping up Book 2 (as yet untitled) and have high hopes for it. I see that your signature includes a quote from Laurel Thatcher Ulrich; I'm a fan of The Midwife's Tale which I think is one of the great Maine books.

Paul

Actually, it's my shoulder that's fractured. In regards to my quote after my name, I have been involved in the borough council of my home town, Perkasie PA, Bucks County and can be a little fiesty and impatient with other council members that don't seem to have any common sense! A friend of mine bought me a t-shirt with quote on it and I will probably use it as my epitaph!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

I know the feeling of getting lost in a book and I'm honored that you had that experience with The Poacher's Son. The genre question is a good one. At the moment, I'm less interested in doing something different and more intrigued by recent experiments within the mystery genre (e.g. Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and Kate Atkinson's When Will There Be Good News). My next book won't push boundaries as far as those titles, but I'd be game to try some experimentation with this series down the line. As for the POW camp, we'll have to see. I have other anecdotes about the actual events that took place there.

Paul

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Paul. Welcome to the group! I am really enjoying your book and am sticking to the discussion schedule, which means I still have a list of suspects. <grin> What do you like best about writing? I was happy to read that you are hoping this is going to be a series of novels. That is awesome. Will you keep us posted on your website/Facebook? Thank you for your time and your book.  :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron wrote:

Sandy, I'm really glad that you're enjoying the book. When I write my first draft, I don't create elaborate outlines or character biographies. I prefer that the story evolves organically. Very often I find myself surprised by one of my characters. I'll start a chapter thinking he's a certain type of person and then find myself shocked by something he says or does. In subsequent drafts I do go back and connect the dots. The author Tess Gerritsen describes her writing process here, and it sounds similar to my own in many respects. 

Thanks for this link.  It is so interesting to see what process writers (and characters) go through.

SandyS

San

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron wrote:

Sandy, I'm really glad that you're enjoying the book. When I write my first draft, I don't create elaborate outlines or character biographies. I prefer that the story evolves organically. Very often I find myself surprised by one of my characters. I'll start a chapter thinking he's a certain type of person and then find myself shocked by something he says or does. In subsequent drafts I do go back and connect the dots. The author Tess Gerritsen describes her writing process here, and it sounds similar to my own in many respects. 

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the First Look discussion.  I'm enjoying your book and look forward to the rest of the discussion. 
A few other authors in the FL have also mentioned that they are amazed at how a character will develop completely different from the author's original creation.  The characters seem to have a mind of their own.  Some one should tell them that they are not really real but that would be too cruel!

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Donna, thank you for the warm welcome. I'm fortunate that Minotaur signed me to a three book contract so we can be assured that there will at least be three Mike Bowditch novels published over the next few years. They've been a wonderful publisher, and I'm lucky to have them. Cross your fingers that The Poacher's Son does well. Either way, I'll be letting readers know on my Web site and Facebook fan page.

Paul

Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

First of all I want to congratulate you for writing a wonderful book.  My husband grabbed it first and wouldn't put it down.  He is waiting for me to finish it so that we can discuss the outcome.  I am trying to keep up with the schedule, but will continue reading after this posting.

As a feminist, I like the fact that Mike's superior is a woman.  When you created he character, was it important to you or to the story that his boss was female?

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

mamawli wrote:

First of all I want to congratulate you for writing a wonderful book.  My husband grabbed it first and wouldn't put it down.  He is waiting for me to finish it so that we can discuss the outcome.  I am trying to keep up with the schedule, but will continue reading after this posting.

As a feminist, I like the fact that Mike's superior is a woman.  When you created he character, was it important to you or to the story that his boss was female?

I'd love to eavesdrop on that conversation between you and your husband. One of the encouraging aspects of this First Look discussion has been hearing women respond positively to a book that deals with so many traditionally masculine subjects. Kathy Frost is actually one of my favorite characters and I really love to write her scenes. And yes, it was very important to me that Mike's superior (and fierce supporter) be a woman. The actual Maine Warden Service has fewer women in its ranks than it should in my opinion, but I've met some of the early trailblazers and really admired their courage. In terms of the novel, Kathy is important because she demonstrates that Mike's alienation isn't from women per se—he's pretty much estranged from everyone. At the beginning of the book, Kathy is actually the only person really in Mike's corner, and he knows he's lucky to have her.

Paul

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul,

Paul here. I'm obviously a huge fan of your book and I just wanted drop in to thank you for taking the time to be here.

Have you read Kate Braestrup's Here If You Need Me? Aside from the fact that it covers the Maine Game Warden Service, it's hands down one of the most compelling and moving memoirs I've ever read.

Best,

Paul