Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Paul Doiron?

We will look forward to meeting you!  Sandy

Distinguished Correspondent
JaneM
0 Kudos

Paul,

I don't have a question because there have been so many already, and such well thought out answers that you have provided.  I enjoyed your book, but your active participation has been an even greater treat.  You have provided in depth views of your thought process in writing, in how you see the characters and what we have to look forward to in future books.  You have been one of the very best First Look authors we have had the pleasure to work/read with and I want to thank you for that.  I

I'm glad you shed light on Jack and that we will be watching him grow in future books, because he is just a little off-putting in this book and I was beginning to see him as the anti-hero!

I look forward to next week's discussion.  Thanks for being so involved and open with us.

Jane M.
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

JaneM wrote:

Paul,

I don't have a question because there have been so many already, and such well thought out answers that you have provided.  I enjoyed your book, but your active participation has been an even greater treat.  You have provided in depth views of your thought process in writing, in how you see the characters and what we have to look forward to in future books.  You have been one of the very best First Look authors we have had the pleasure to work/read with and I want to thank you for that.  I

I'm glad you shed light on Jack and that we will be watching him grow in future books, because he is just a little off-putting in this book and I was beginning to see him as the anti-hero!

I look forward to next week's discussion.  Thanks for being so involved and open with us.

Hi Jane,

Thank you. Since I'm new to First Look, I have nothing to base my responses on. But I've been on the other side of the fence most of my life and spoken with authors who have wanted to maintain a certain mystique about their creative processes. That aloofness didn't make me admire them any more.

Mike as anti-hero...interesting. I've come to the conclusion that how one feels about my protagonist has a lot to do with one's patience for 24 year old men. There are certainly many men that age (or younger) who are highly mature souls. But I think there are more who are adrift in some way. I certainly was at that age.

In fact, I was just reading an article on Slate that discussed this phenomenon. Mike's nature (and destiny) is to be an alpha male but right now he's going through his omega male phase because of his upbringing. The question is whether my readers will hang in there with him through this process.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Paul..First I must thank Jane M for her Post.My thoughts exactly..We are not a group of readers that are going to say "Niceties" jf not true and from our hearts..Its just the way it is here,on FirstLook...Then I must address the issue of waiting for and wanting to "Hang in there with Mike while he "Grows up" so to speak..I think I can speak for many,the process of coming into your own can go on for a very long time.Thats what makes "The Poachers Son so unique,interesting,wanting more.We are all comprised of layers,some older some younger..I hope you are going to be active on your blog for us..Because its a great way to keep in touch with you and Your writing,,,Glad that we have another week to read any thoughts of yours,as well as ours..Thank you Paul...Susan,Vt...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron wrote:

Debbie, you're very gracious, and I hope the second half of the book holds up for you.

I have a three book contract with Minotaur to do a series of mysteries starring Mike Bowditch. In fact, I'm finishing work on the second novel now. My plan is that Mike will be a year older in each of the subsequent books, so we'll get to see him maturing out of his "leap before you look" phase. We'll also see him working through Maine's four seasons. As I note in one of the early chapters, a game warden's duties change from month to month.

Paul

I am late in joining this thread and started with all of the questions and your responses before I ask any questions.  I just have to say already that I am so happy to hear that Mike will be re-appearing in a series.  I too am staying with the schedule even though I wanted to read it straight through.  It has been a wonderful reading experience.  I will definitely be looking for book number 2.

Kathy

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

kpatton wrote:

Paul-Doiron wrote:

Debbie, you're very gracious, and I hope the second half of the book holds up for you.

I have a three book contract with Minotaur to do a series of mysteries starring Mike Bowditch. In fact, I'm finishing work on the second novel now. My plan is that Mike will be a year older in each of the subsequent books, so we'll get to see him maturing out of his "leap before you look" phase. We'll also see him working through Maine's four seasons. As I note in one of the early chapters, a game warden's duties change from month to month.

Paul

I am late in joining this thread and started with all of the questions and your responses before I ask any questions.  I just have to say already that I am so happy to hear that Mike will be re-appearing in a series.  I too am staying with the schedule even though I wanted to read it straight through.  It has been a wonderful reading experience.  I will definitely be looking for book number 2.

Kathy

Thank you, Kathy. I'll be curious to hear your take on the book when you've reached the end.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Contributor
Valerietexier
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing this book and some of your thoughts with us.

Most of the time I took your book with me, went for a walk in the woods and read it there, I felt somehow even more connected with the characters of your story. Of course, because of this process I am still not done and it is very hard not to just finish it.

Anyway, I have never been to Maine and now I really want to discover and travel to this State.

I am glad also you decided to keep on writing about Mike in your future books. His character could be so complex and you can really see all his mixed up feelings; I cannot help wondering how he will turn up.

For a first book, Paul, I am very impressed. Congratulations!

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Valerietexier wrote:

Hi Paul,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing this book and some of your thoughts with us.

Most of the time I took your book with me, went for a walk in the woods and read it there, I felt somehow even more connected with the characters of your story. Of course, because of this process I am still not done and it is very hard not to just finish it.

Anyway, I have never been to Maine and now I really want to discover and travel to this State.

I am glad also you decided to keep on writing about Mike in your future books. His character could be so complex and you can really see all his mixed up feelings; I cannot help wondering how he will turn up.

For a first book, Paul, I am very impressed. Congratulations!

Thank you, Valerie,

I love the idea of people reading The Poacher's Son outdoors. I didn't write the book outside but for many years I've carried around a notepad and if I notice something surprising in the natural world I'll scribble it down. For instance, my new novel is set in March, and I just found coltsfoot blossoming beneath a layer of wet leaves. I never thought it bloomed so early. This detail will go in my book.

Paul

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Re: SPOILERS

Rachel-K wrote:

maxcat wrote:

POSSIBLE SPOILER HERE  (RACHEL EDITED)

I have read the book and was surprised at the ending.

I have no questions. I just wanted to say I enjoyed the book and will be awaiting your next Mike Bowditch book!

Hi all,

Slowing down your reading is a lot to ask of book junkies. We know! We have posted a thread for those who couldn't wait to finish and want to post their thoughts on the end of Poacher's Son. Remember that we aren't there yet in our schedule. Please save your posts and questions about the end of the book until next Monday! (Or hang out in the "I'm not sorry thread!"

Thanks for the consideration!

Rachel

I just wanted to say that I think the "I'm not sorry thread" was a great idea.  I've done a number of the FL clubs and it's HARD waiting for the last week so as not to post spoilers.

Contributor
Temolly
0 Kudos

Thanks for answering my question, Paul.  Quite interesting, all the tidbits you mentioned about Maine.  Now, I'm a little bit smarter.  :smileyhappy:  Despite the fact that I love racial diversity, I definitely hope to visit Maine one day.  Sounds beautiful!

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Hi Paul , I just wanted to congratulate you for writing such a good book , I have not finished yet but I am really amazed by what you achieve with this book. Besides the plot the way you describe nature is unique , I swear that as I read I could smell , see and feel the forests and the roads and every single location Mike travels to. Reading this book in my house or at the mall sometimes seems like a small vacation because as I read I transport myself to the forests and feel connected to nature which is fantastic.  From all the books that I have read I believe that you are in a very special group because of the way you play with descriptions some times with small sentences you describe a whole environment and sometimes with large descriptions you achieve even more. You are a great writer, congratulations!

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

CharlieG31 wrote:

Hi Paul , I just wanted to congratulate you for writing such a good book , I have not finished yet but I am really amazed by what you achieve with this book. Besides the plot the way you describe nature is unique , I swear that as I read I could smell , see and feel the forests and the roads and every single location Mike travels to. Reading this book in my house or at the mall sometimes seems like a small vacation because as I read I transport myself to the forests and feel connected to nature which is fantastic.  From all the books that I have read I believe that you are in a very special group because of the way you play with descriptions some times with small sentences you describe a whole environment and sometimes with large descriptions you achieve even more. You are a great writer, congratulations!

Hi Charlie,

Thank you. It was very important to me to render the Maine landscape as accurately as I could because I love it so much. There is an actual cabin in the woods, I can't say where, that was my model for Jack's cabin on Rum Pond, and I have spent many hours there, listening to the wind in the tops of the pines, and thinking how I could communicate that experience to readers. I'm glad to hear that I succeeded.

Paul

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Paul I just wanted to tell everone to visit your website wwwpauldoiron.com I was so taken back by "Your ArtWork" that you created that I wanted to share it...Susan Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
mrsareads
0 Kudos

Hello - I have finished the book and I don't think my question will be a spoiler. I understand the point of DeSalle (I think that is his name - the nasty guy that Mike fights with over the license and such), but I don't feel the situation between the two was really resolved. Was that intentional? Or was the character and situation there more to move the plot line and help with the understanding of Mike and his issues. I kept waiting for a bit more reference to this situation at the end of the story.

Thanks - by the way, I am the 'author' of the bad pun about poaching an egg.

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

mrsareads wrote:

Hello - I have finished the book and I don't think my question will be a spoiler. I understand the point of DeSalle (I think that is his name - the nasty guy that Mike fights with over the license and such), but I don't feel the situation between the two was really resolved. Was that intentional? Or was the character and situation there more to move the plot line and help with the understanding of Mike and his issues. I kept waiting for a bit more reference to this situation at the end of the story.

Thanks - by the way, I am the 'author' of the bad pun about poaching an egg.

Hi,

The excellent pun about poaching an egg can be found here (you need to scroll down a bit). I actually laughed out loud at it.

In an earlier draft of the novel there was a mention at the end of the book from Lieutenant Malcomb about the resolution of the DeSalle complaint, but it didn't make it into the finished book. I will say that, although DeSalle doesn't appear in my next novel, you will know what happens.

My intention in putting DeSalle and his son —and also Nappi — into the story was to show Mike at work at the beginning. (After the bear, he doesn't perform any actual game warden duties.) I wanted to show that he processed that mundane conflict at the boat launch through the lens of his own sour relationship with his father. Later in the story, Mike has begun to unravel under the tension, and he almost provokes a dangerous confrontation with DeSalle and Nappi. The purpose of that scene was to show Mike's deteriorating judgment and why Kathy takes the action she does after Mike shoots the bear and chews out Thompson.

That's what I was after, anyway. It's been interesting to read people's reactions and expectations around DeSalle.

Paul

Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
0 Kudos

I loved your book, it was spell binding from the beginning to the end.  I don't know if I am too late, or if the question has already been asked, but are you thinking of writing more stories involving the Maine Game Wardens?   And will you have more books involving Mike, Charley and Ora and Kathy?  Thank you for such a great book and letting me be among the few that got to read it, as I said it was spell binding.  I couldn't put it down til I finished it. 

Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Bearsstar wrote:

I loved your book, it was spell binding from the beginning to the end.  I don't know if I am too late, or if the question has already been asked, but are you thinking of writing more stories involving the Maine Game Wardens?   And will you have more books involving Mike, Charley and Ora and Kathy?  Thank you for such a great book and letting me be among the few that got to read it, as I said it was spell binding.  I couldn't put it down til I finished it. 

Hi Jeanne,

I genuinely appreciate your kind words. "Spellbinding" is just what I was aiming for.

Yes about the other books. I have a contract to write three Mike Bowditch novels for Minotaur (The Poacher's Son being the first), and all of the characters you mentioned are coming back, along with lots of new ones. The second book is scheduled to be published next spring.

Paul

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I just wanted to say to Paul Doiron, I so agree with Bearsstar (Jeanne) this was such a good read that now I have something to look forward to next spring. By that time I will have to reread the book again to remember what happen in the first one.:smileyhappy:  Paul just know that you have a lot of new fans that will be looking forward to your new book out next spring.

Gail Marie

Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I finished the book yesterday. Wow! what an ending. Very excellent. I didn't see it coming, and I like when that happens. I liked Jack from the beginning even with his problems and rough edges. I tend to root for the underdog and felt that there was more to him than we knew. But sometimes things really are as they seem. The ending left unresolved issues for Mike as well as us readers. Will we be learning more about Jack in future books?

I was also wondering why you named the timber company Wendigo. Isn't a wendigo an evil North Woods Sasquatch-like creature?

Thank you for an excellent read. I'm looking forward to the next book to see what happens next. I compared you earlier to C. J. Box; I'll stand by that comparison.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

PiperMurphy wrote:

Hi Paul,

I finished the book yesterday. Wow! what an ending. Very excellent. I didn't see it coming, and I like when that happens. I liked Jack from the beginning even with his problems and rough edges. I tend to root for the underdog and felt that there was more to him than we knew. But sometimes things really are as they seem. The ending left unresolved issues for Mike as well as us readers. Will we be learning more about Jack in future books?

I was also wondering why you named the timber company Wendigo. Isn't a wendigo an evil North Woods Sasquatch-like creature?

Thank you for an excellent read. I'm looking forward to the next book to see what happens next. I compared you earlier to C. J. Box; I'll stand by that comparison.

Hi Piper,

Thanks for hanging in there with me till the end. We will be learning more about Jack over future books. As you might imagine, it's going to take Mike a long time to process what he's been through and why.

The Wendigo name was me having some fun. I've noticed that controversial companies either adopt very soft and reassuring names (e.g. Atria, Plum Creek) or they embrace their bad-boy reputation outright (e.g. Blackwater, Bushmaster). I see Wendigo as the sort of corporation founded by tough men who thought it would be cool to name their timber business after a cannibalistic spirit from Algonquin legend.  

Paul