Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Paul Doiron?

gmfuhlman wrote:

I just wanted to say to Paul Doiron, I so agree with Bearsstar (Jeanne) this was such a good read that now I have something to look forward to next spring. By that time I will have to reread the book again to remember what happen in the first one.:smileyhappy:  Paul just know that you have a lot of new fans that will be looking forward to your new book out next spring.

Gail Marie

Hi Gail Marie,
My aim is to make the second book better than first one. I'm hoping I can pull it off, but I have faith in my editors to push me over the goal line. Thank you for your kind wishes,
Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Paul Join us in your Community Room for a little get together.See you there..Susan Vt.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Paul, I finished the book over the weekend (would have told you yesterday but the sign in demon got me too) and I wanted to say I LOVED IT!!

It was amazing how in the last chapters Mike grew up before my eyes.

This will be a hit I know it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Paul,

After reading our posts with our thoughts and predictions on who did or did not commit the murders, what are the biggest surprises?

What prediction or assumption made you laugh out loud, spit out your coffee?

What post had a key element of the story identified earlier than you thought we would?

Just off the top of your head. No need to read through all the posts.

Thanks

pen21

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Paul,

After reading our posts with our thoughts and predictions on who did or did not commit the murders, what are the biggest surprises?

What prediction or assumption made you laugh out loud, spit out your coffee?

What post had a key element of the story identified earlier than you thought we would?

Just off the top of your head. No need to read through all the posts.

Thanks

pen21

Hi Pen,

First I should say that I've found this discussion addictive. I went through withdrawal symptoms when I couldn't log on.

I think the biggest suprise, in general, was the focus by so many readers on DeSalle. I hadn't intended him to be merely a plot device since he functions on several levels in the story, but I was struck by how many people expected he would figure in the murder somehow.

I don't want to say I laughed at this—more like smiled—but the prediction that Mike and Kathy might get together threw me for a loop.

Zyna actually spotted an element that no one had ever seen before (or at least no one ever mentioned it to me), which was Mike's reference to Benedict Arnold during the initial manhunt for his father.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Paul, I finished the book over the weekend (would have told you yesterday but the sign in demon got me too) and I wanted to say I LOVED IT!!

It was amazing how in the last chapters Mike grew up before my eyes.

This will be a hit I know it.

Hi Debbie,

Wow. Thank you. I'm certainly praying it's a hit. I've been spending the past few weekends finishing up the next book, and even though the hours have been long, I've realized that writing fiction is what I love to do.

Paul

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Dear Paul:

Will we ever know what really happened to Truman's face (i.e. chain saw accident, Brenda, Jack....)?

In a previous post you stated something about the fact that a mystery isn't always a "who done it" but that it can also be a why and how - I failed to think in those terms when reading The Poacher's Son but from now on will remember what you said when reading a mystery novel - which adds another element to a mystery read.  Thank you for that!

The Poacher's Son was a great read, kept me guessing til the end.  Look forward to your next book!  Congratulations and best wishes.

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

babzilla41 wrote:

Dear Paul:

Will we ever know what really happened to Truman's face (i.e. chain saw accident, Brenda, Jack....)?

In a previous post you stated something about the fact that a mystery isn't always a "who done it" but that it can also be a why and how - I failed to think in those terms when reading The Poacher's Son but from now on will remember what you said when reading a mystery novel - which adds another element to a mystery read.  Thank you for that!

The Poacher's Son was a great read, kept me guessing til the end.  Look forward to your next book!  Congratulations and best wishes.

b

Hi Babz:

I don't have an answer for you about Truman's face, or at least I'm not prepared to give one. :smileywink:To me either possibility — that the chain broke causing the wounds or that Jack somehow inflicted them out of rage — is possible. It depends on whether you believe Jack was capable of such cruelty. By the end of the novel there's no one left standing to set the record straight.

Thanks for the great note. This has been a blast.

Paul

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I must admit that if I saw TPS in the book store I would not have picked it up.  I normally do not read mysteries but the fact that Paul and B&N recommended it, I knew I had to give it a shot.  Well, from the very first page, you had me.  I love your style of writing.  You write only what is necessary, no extra fluff, no run on of demonstrative words; only the facts.  Actually, you could have written about anything and I would have enjoyed it.  I read the book through and then went back and reread from Chapter 18 through the end again.  The first time I read it, I read it with blinders on.  Why would I be interested in these dysfunctional people?  But once I got over that and reread it, I read it as a study of their characters and my attitude changed.  Now I can't wait for the second book to be published.  I like the way you planted all the suspicious props along the way to throw us off and/or to make us believe that we had solved the mystery.  Thank you for writing TPS and for permitting us to discuss it with you.  You have been very gracious with all of our posts and have shared with us a lot of your soul.  I have recommended TPS to many of my reader friends.  The one thing I've noticed with B&N, and maybe it's just a coincidence, but the books that have been featured in the First Look bookclubs usually get a choice location for their coming out.  You have written a book to be proud of.

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Paul,

It has been really fun reading your book, and reading the posts. Good luck on your next book. I will certainly be purchasing it, and looking forward to seeing Mike again. Pat your self on the back for a job well done on The Poacher's Son. When you become a Best Seller we can all say, "hey, we know that guy". 

Linda

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

LindaEducation wrote:

Paul,

It has been really fun reading your book, and reading the posts. Good luck on your next book. I will certainly be purchasing it, and looking forward to seeing Mike again. Pat your self on the back for a job well done on The Poacher's Son. When you become a Best Seller we can all say, "hey, we know that guy". 

Linda

Hi Linda,

At this stage I'm just enjoying all the good things that have already come my way. One of those has been the opportunity to participate in this First Look discussion. It's really been fun, and I've been grateful to get to know you. Thank you so much for the good wishes,

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Hi Paul,

I must admit that if I saw TPS in the book store I would not have picked it up.  I normally do not read mysteries but the fact that Paul and B&N recommended it, I knew I had to give it a shot.  Well, from the very first page, you had me.  I love your style of writing.  You write only what is necessary, no extra fluff, no run on of demonstrative words; only the facts.  Actually, you could have written about anything and I would have enjoyed it.  I read the book through and then went back and reread from Chapter 18 through the end again.  The first time I read it, I read it with blinders on.  Why would I be interested in these dysfunctional people?  But once I got over that and reread it, I read it as a study of their characters and my attitude changed.  Now I can't wait for the second book to be published.  I like the way you planted all the suspicious props along the way to throw us off and/or to make us believe that we had solved the mystery.  Thank you for writing TPS and for permitting us to discuss it with you.  You have been very gracious with all of our posts and have shared with us a lot of your soul.  I have recommended TPS to many of my reader friends.  The one thing I've noticed with B&N, and maybe it's just a coincidence, but the books that have been featured in the First Look bookclubs usually get a choice location for their coming out.  You have written a book to be proud of.

Hi, 

All I can say is, "Thank you." I wrote The Poacher's Son in the faith that someone would respond to the novel the way you have.

I'd love to have a career as an author, but this experience is already more gratifying than I'd ever imagined.

Paul

Inspired Contributor
Ronrose
0 Kudos

Paul,  Thanks for a very entertaining book.  I look forward to the next installment. I expect DeSalle will be back with a boatload of more trouble for Mike. Maybe Mike can even turn it around and help DeSalle and his son. I have to say, I could not keep to the reading schedule. I had to keep reading. I can't say that about many books. Congratulations on a great read.

Ron

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Ronrose wrote:

Paul,  Thanks for a very entertaining book.  I look forward to the next installment. I expect DeSalle will be back with a boatload of more trouble for Mike. Maybe Mike can even turn it around and help DeSalle and his son. I have to say, I could not keep to the reading schedule. I had to keep reading. I can't say that about many books. Congratulations on a great read.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I'm going to do everything I can to live up to your expectations!

Paul

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Paul, another possiblity of how Truman had the accident.  As sick as it sounds, could Brenda have done it because either Truman attacked her in a drunken state or "BJ" just wanted to get even with Truman?

Paul-Doiron wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Dear Paul:

b

Hi Babz:

I don't have an answer for you about Truman's face, or at least I'm not prepared to give one. :smileywink:To me either possibility — that the chain broke causing the wounds or that Jack somehow inflicted them out of rage — is possible. It depends on whether you believe Jack was capable of such cruelty. By the end of the novel there's no one left standing to set the record straight.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Paul, another possiblity of how Truman had the accident.  As sick as it sounds, could Brenda have done it because either Truman attacked her in a drunken state or "BJ" just wanted to get even with Truman?

Paul-Doiron wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Dear Paul:

b

Hi Babz:

Paul

Hi Lit,

You're right, Brenda, could have done it! She certainly had cause.

Paul

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Paul..It's been a Blast as you said,but we are still here tomorrow..Looking forward to having you around for one more day...I hope The Casting Call was interesting for you,because we are very specific,as you can tell..Until tomorrow..Have a Good Night..Susan Vt..

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi Paul..It's been a Blast as you said,but we are still here tomorrow..Looking forward to having you around for one more day...I hope The Casting Call was interesting for you,because we are very specific,as you can tell..Until tomorrow..Have a Good Night..Susan Vt..

Hi Susan,

I'll be sorry to see this end, although I appreciate that you folks have already spent a month with my book and must be eager to move on to the next one. On Friday, I promise to answer all those questions I promised to answer at the beginning but never did.

Paul

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I can't wait for tomorrow. We get all the dish from you. It has been a great month. I can't wait til the next one. Be sure to stop by and give us all the scoop on when the next one will be out. We will watch your website. I love the characters. I like all the imperfections and flaws. It makes a better story in my opinion. My way out there theory for the next book is Mike will meet a new woman, with some issues in her past, these issues are obviously all related to the murders. I love to speculate. pen21

Paul-Doiron wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi Susan,

I'll be sorry to see this end, although I appreciate that you folks have already spent a month with my book and must be eager to move on to the next one. On Friday, I promise to answer all those questions I promised to answer at the beginning but never did.

Paul

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Pen is a good speculator,we are always checking your Board,even when you leave Paul..People are still posting on Previous FirstLook Boards....BTW,and since I am not shy or humble about this fact,we as FirstLook Readers have already put 3 of our FL.books,within the 2nd week of their release.on the NYTIMES Bestseller list..Its a fact..We must know that what we do as the first readers of "Amazing Books that PaulH has chosen for us,has a tremendous impact in the world of publishing...Being a gender Friendly group here,the 3 Bestsellers were all written by women..PaulH,does not discriminate.. : he just chooses the best Novels for us to read..Its very important to me as a reader to vary my books,and love reading books from a Man's Point of view,always..You are as PaulH is very enlightened,Thank you Paul.for embracing us...Best  Susan,Vt  As pen mentioned we will also check your website  and post there as well...