Rachel-K

Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

Okay, you bent the rules. You read the whole book and need a place to vent before the scheduled time is up. This is it! Go ahead. All spoilers are welcome!

Please don't join this thread unless you've read the whole book!

Contributor
Susan5847
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

I have to admit it -- once I started this book, I couldn't put it down because I was totally engrossed in the story.  I had to know how it ended.  The person who committed the murder wasn't a surprise but the reason behind it was really a surprise to me. The more I thought about  the ending, the more it all made sense.  I thought that it was a fantastic ending to a really good book.

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

Okay, you bent the rules. You read the whole book and need a place to vent before the scheduled time is up. This is it! Go ahead. All spoilers are welcome!

Please don't join this thread unless you've read the whole book!

Most of the time this happens to me.  We've had some good books and once I start, I just find myself reading and reading. :womanwink:

I must admit, I was surprised to find out that Jack really did do it and then to find out his reason, I was just out done.  I'm not sure who I thought it was.  For a minute Charlie popped in because of the way he acted sometime.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I loved the book. I was on schedule for the first two sections. But then I started the next section and the story just kept me going. I was surprised that it was Jack. I like a book that does that. This book has strong characters and they are easy to become involved with.

Luanne

Frequent Contributor
librarysusie

Finally!:smileyhappy:

When I finished this book I just sat there for awhile trying to get my mouth to close and all I could think was WOW! I Did Not see that coming!

I never would have guessed that he would actually have Jack be the killer even when Jack stepped out of the trees I thought he was just protecting BJ because she was the killer.My heart broke for Mike when the realization washed over him that yes not only is my dad a killer but he is going to kill me.

I almost cried when we thought Charley was dead I loved his character so much . I am so glad Paul decided to let him live I look forward to seeing more of him in future books.

I was one of those people that could not put this book down the characters and the scenes draw you in and won't let go.I see great things in the future for Paul Dioron.I will be recommending this book to everyone!

Thank-you so much B&N and Paul Dioron for giving me the chance to read a book that has become a favorite.I can't wait for more from Paul!

pen21
0 Kudos

Charley's plane going down was such a sad moment.

I was picturing Ora waiting for him and then someone telling her what happened.

Ora seems like such a strong person. I hope she is a bigger part of the next book.

I had an inkling about Jack. But I had hoped for Mike that it would have been one of the other characters I had in mind. But I am glad Paul gave us the ending he did. The ending was correct for the story. Some author's try to give us the happy ending, that is not what I want. Real life isn't always happy.

pen21

librarysusie wrote:

Finally!:smileyhappy:

When I finished this book I just sat there for awhile trying to get my mouth to close and all I could think was WOW! I Did Not see that coming!

I never would have guessed that he would actually have Jack be the killer even when Jack stepped out of the trees I thought he was just protecting BJ because she was the killer.My heart broke for Mike when the realization washed over him that yes not only is my dad a killer but he is going to kill me.

I almost cried when we thought Charley was dead I loved his character so much . I am so glad Paul decided to let him live I look forward to seeing more of him in future books.

I was one of those people that could not put this book down the characters and the scenes draw you in and won't let go.I see great things in the future for Paul Dioron.I will be recommending this book to everyone!

Thank-you so much B&N and Paul Dioron for giving me the chance to read a book that has become a favorite.I can't wait for more from Paul!

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

The same thing happened with me! I was on schedule for the first two sections - then I was so drawn into the story that I could not wait to continue reading it! I too was surprised that it was Jack all along! What a surprise ending!

Frequent Contributor
momofprecious1
0 Kudos

I was trying really hard to keep to the schedule but after I read the 18th chapter I just couldn't help it anymore & read the entire book. I was really convinced that Jack was being set up & that he really was innocent, boy what a shocker when I found out that he was really GUILTY. I couldn't believe how bad he treated Mike when he tried to take him hostage. I even got to think that he may shoot Mike, not to kill him but just wound him. It was a great book!

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I love Charley and Ora, too - I was very relieved that Charley survived! I hope that he and Ora have strong roles in the upcoming books, as well. They seem to be on their way to being parental figures for Mike - a relationship that would be so beneficial to him - and to them, as well....

Frequent Contributor
momofprecious1
0 Kudos

I tried really hard to keep to the schedule up until chapter 18 & then I just couldn't resist & read the entire book. I really thought that Jack was innocent & that he was being setup, boy what a surprise when I found out he was GUILTY! I couldn't believe how bad he treated Mike when he took him as a hostage but then again I shouldn't have been surprised as he wasn't such a great father to begin with. There was a point where I thought he was going to shoot him, not to kill him but just wound him. It was a great story & it kept me in suspense all the way until the end.

Frequent Contributor
momofprecious1
0 Kudos

I'm sorry I posted 2 x's, I thought my original post had been lost & I reposted. Now I see that it had posted :smileysurprised:

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

I too bent the rules and finished the book Friday night.  I said "Wow" at the end. I didnt reallize I had said out loud. My husband heard me from the next room.  He said, "A good book, huh?" And I said, "You dont know the half of it".  He said he is going to read the book sometime soon. And usually he just reads "how to" type books. So, Paul, you are reaching all kinds of audiences!

I was shocked that Jack did it. I did not expect that in the least. I totally thought he had been set up.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I finished the book over the weekend and it was a total surprise ending. I did not expect Jack to be the killer of four men and I couldn't believe that he came back because of Brenda. The book was good to that point but I don't recall a mystery that I have read where the killer in the beginning is the same at the end. I was surprised that Jack would actually try to canoe Brenda and Mike up tords Canada. And I really thought Charley died in the gunned down plane. But he lived and Mike got his job back. I thought this would happen as the author kind of gave it away when he said he was doing a series. Yes, I would read the second book but will have the advantage of knowing the author's style of writing this time.

It was a good book in general, though.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
momoftwinsMM
0 Kudos

It took awhile to process and I was very disappointed for Mike that Jack did not end up being the man he thought he was.

At the same time, the outcome was surprising (I don't know if we can call it a twist, because it was he was the main suspect the entire time), which I always like. I am disappointed when outcomes are easily discovered.

I was also very disappointed that the reason for the murder was the because of Brenda's supposed "rape." Although it is a viable reason, I wanted it to be politically motivated for some reason.

I still enjoyed the book overall. The writing was impeccable and I was drawn to the plot and the characters. I will recommend it! 

Peppermill
0 Kudos

momoftwinsMM wrote:

It took awhile to process and I was very disappointed for Mike that Jack did not end up being the man he thought he was.

At the same time, the outcome was surprising (I don't know if we can call it a twist, because it was he was the main suspect the entire time), which I always like. I am disappointed when outcomes are easily discovered.

I was also very disappointed that the reason for the murder was the because of Brenda's supposed "rape." Although it is a viable reason, I wanted it to be politically motivated for some reason.

I still enjoyed the book overall. The writing was impeccable and I was drawn to the plot and the characters. I will recommend it! 

One of the thoughts that crossed my mind was that a next title could be: The Killer's Son.  What a heavy burden for Mike to shoulder and under which to create a life for himself!  This set-up from his initial novel should test Dorion's considerable skills at characterization.

It was surprising to me that the reasons were so closely personal and primatively possessive within almost a familial tribe or clan.  (Yet, that is often true of murder crimes.) I did expect larger societal conflicts as well, ala the overtaking lumber conglomerate.  (To compare again, as I have often, with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which so powerfully mixes personal, family and societal dysfunction.) My deepest mystery at the end of this read was still the character of Jack himself -- his continuing connection to his alienated ex-wife, his alternating grasping and pushing away of Mike, his predatory protectiveness of Brenda.  If we are going to understand Mike in the upcoming books, I still think we will need to know more about the character of his father.

Agreed!

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Author
Paul-Doiron

Hi Everyone,

Needless to say, I'm really interested in following this thread, and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

I'll try not to explain the book since the text is the text; if something isn't in the novel, I can't retroactively add a clarification that should have been woven into the story. Nor will I try to defend the book. Once a novel is published it ceases to belong to the author in a certain sense (that's not an argument for e-piracy!) but it belongs instead to the reader. I'm always embarrassed for writers who send letters to the New York Times because they disagreed with how their book was reviewed. Unless a criticism is factually inaccurate, it's legitimate. You or I might not agree with it, but that's OK. We all have our different tastes.

What I can do is tell you why I made certain choices and what I was hoping to achieve. For the moment, though, I'm just interested in reading your reactions as you finish the novel.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Frequent Contributor
mgorbatjuk
0 Kudos

I too was disappointed it was Jack-just because I liked Mike so well and I wanted his faith in his dad to be worthwhile. Jack turned out to be a bigger turd then I thought he was. My heart broke when Charlie's plane went down. I think Charlie wants to be a surrogate father to Mike and I think Mike wants to be closer to Charlie. I too hope Charlie and his wife show up in future books. Do you think Mike will get back with Sarah or do you think Mike may hook up with one of Charlie's daughters? Maybe that will be what it takes to get the daughter that's estranged back into Charlie's life???

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

mgorbatjuk wrote:

Do you think Mike will get back with Sarah or do you think Mike may hook up with one of Charlie's daughters? Maybe that will be what it takes to get the daughter that's estranged back into Charlie's life???

:smileywink:

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I did finish it yesterday.I was so taken back by the turn of events,99% of it, I did not see it coming at all.The one percent was Brenda..Because she was a loose cannon..So I did expect the worse from her.Charley living on with Ora,Mike and Sarah or another Relatinship would be great.Leaving this all up to Paul..He know best..We are here to Support him..This will be short for now,but will post all week..Just a great mystery..Emailed my Library to order it.Once ordered,especially here,sales are generated..it also seems that Paul Doiron and "Down East magazine are not stranger's to our town...not surprised..My Library has copies,and is sold here as well...What a Great Pick for us.....Susan VtCozy..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
BookWoman718

I was one of those who read the whole book through just before the discussions started.  I found the ending very satisfying in that I had been nicely misdirected by all the talk of the logging company issues, just as many of the characters in the book were.  I had held out hope (for Mike's sake) that his dad was innocent because I found his description of his dad as "not political" pretty convincing.  To me, it was very true to life (as someone mentioned above) that the killing turned out to be personally motivated after all.  And that it happened because of a series of violent acts, betrayals, and lies, committed by a bunch of lowlife, pretty despicable characters, who were all too ready to go right on killing. 

I might like the ending less if this were a stand-alone story, because it leaves the reader hurting for Mike, and hoping he can overcome another massive betrayal and blow to his self-confidence.

(He's a supposedly trained lawman who now sees that he's misjudged just about everybody.)  I'm comforted knowing that we'll see more of him, and see how he comes out of this.  Without the promise of another book, I think I'd have wanted one of those epilogue chapters that show Mike a year or two down the line, still a Warden, maybe having a drink with his boss, discussing a case in way that shows what Mike thinks he learned, and leaving to go meet 'his girl.' (unnamed) I'm now invested in this kid;  I really want to know he's going to be allright. 

Paul, very nicely done!