Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

LindaEducation wrote:

I too bent the rules and finished the book Friday night.  I said "Wow" at the end. I didnt reallize I had said out loud. My husband heard me from the next room.  He said, "A good book, huh?" And I said, "You dont know the half of it".  He said he is going to read the book sometime soon. And usually he just reads "how to" type books. So, Paul, you are reaching all kinds of audiences!

I was shocked that Jack did it. I did not expect that in the least. I totally thought he had been set up.

A "wow" reaction is more than I hoped for. Thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed the book, and reaching all audiences is certainly the hope of my publisher (as well as my own). I guess we'll wait to hear from your husband. :smileywink:

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron,

I am so glad that the other Paul pick this book because this is a great read. Since I love mystery this book was better than I thought it would be.

Author
Paul-Doiron

gmfuhlman wrote:

Paul-Doiron,

I am so glad that the other Paul pick this book because this is a great read. Since I love mystery this book was better than I thought it would be.

I appreciate that, thank you. I think my challenge is getting readers to pick up the novel who don't usually read mysteries or assume from the title that the book is only about the outdoors. But I'm certainly grateful Paul Hochman picked my book, too.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron wrote:

gmfuhlman wrote:

Paul-Doiron,

I appreciate that, thank you. I think my challenge is getting readers to pick up the novel who don't usually read mysteries or assume from the title that the book is only about the outdoors. But I'm certainly grateful Paul Hochman picked my book, too.

Paul

It was a no brainer, Paul -- a true standout!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Paul-Doiron wrote:

gmfuhlman wrote:

Paul-Doiron,

Paul

It was a no brainer, Paul -- a true standout!

Yes a no Brainer..for you PaulH,and you have the "Talent" to know what we like/love.TPS is a book that leaves us with wanting more,For me Mike being 24,and still coming into his own,can be considered "A coming of age book,with wide appeal(I know I have said that many times about TPS,but I believe its true.)A  YA  to Seniors will be drawn to TPS...As proven here...Thank you Paul D.for all the respect you have shown us...Susan Vtc...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

librarysusie wrote:

Socialreader,

It wasn't that Mike's mom thought he'd come back for her she thought that she was the love of his life that he would kill himself over not someone else.At least thats how I read it.

Someone else mentioned DeSalle I wonder if he is a tourist that comes back every year and if there may be more of him in the future?I hope if he is in future books Mike handles himself better!

Hi Susie,

Your interpretation of Mike's mom is the one I'd intended, but I appreciate why Socialreader might have been scratching her head. Both of Mike's parents are self-centered in different ways. They're also two people ruled by their passions. Mike's mom had the courage and drive to escape from the backwoods trailer, but part of her will always be stuck there with Jack. We often talk about the love of someone's life, but is there such a thing as the hate of someone's life? For Mike mom, Jack was both of these things. I'd imagined that many people, who've been divorced or separated, or had someone they worshipped leave them for another lover, might relate to that.

I hadn't thought of bringing DeSalle back, but you're right summer people tend to return to the same lake cabins and summer cottages in Maine each year.

Paul

Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul!

I also think that statement gave Mike a little more insight into his mothers character I am curious if I will warm up to her at all in the coming books.I agree with you on divorce and also no matter how bad it was how children  wish their parents were still together.

I am looking forward to seeing how Mike handles the aftermath I'm glad he will have Charley there for him, I see Charlie becoming a good friends,mentor, and father figure to Mike.

I can't wait for the next book!

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron wrote:

librarysusie wrote:

Socialreader,

It wasn't that Mike's mom thought he'd come back for her she thought that she was the love of his life that he would kill himself over not someone else.At least thats how I read it.

Someone else mentioned DeSalle I wonder if he is a tourist that comes back every year and if there may be more of him in the future?I hope if he is in future books Mike handles himself better!

Hi Susie,

Your interpretation of Mike's mom is the one I'd intended, but I appreciate why Socialreader might have been scratching her head. Both of Mike's parents are self-centered in different ways. They're also two people ruled by their passions. Mike's mom had the courage and drive to escape from the backwoods trailer, but part of her will always be stuck there with Jack. We often talk about the love of someone's life, but is there such a thing as the hate of someone's life? For Mike mom, Jack was both of these things. I'd imagined that many people, who've been divorced or separated, or had someone they worshipped leave them for another lover, might relate to that.

I hadn't thought of bringing DeSalle back, but you're right summer people tend to return to the same lake cabins and summer cottages in Maine each year.

Paul

I can understand why Mike's Mom felt that way.  My parents were like that, a love/hate relationship.  Although they divorced when I was young and both remarried, they couldn't seem to leave each other alone.

As for DeSalle and his son, maybe Mike can befriend him as Charley has done for him.

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

I read the whole thing too!  I was late getting started so I needed to read the first 18 chapters, but I just couldn't stop.  The only thing that bothered me at the end was I would have liked some of his relationships tied up better, but then I found out Mr. Dorion is signed up for a three book deal and I was delighted. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Paul..You certainly took me by surprise by your exciting ending..Did not see it coming at all.You kept throwing me off with all the scenarios,and that certainly kept me up reading ,later then usual.Keeping Charley and Ora,gives me enormous hope for Mike..They are a stable factor in his life.Sarah might come and go,and surely another love interest is on the horizon for Mike.Your brief reference to Charley and Ora's daughter Anne peaked my curiosity.I just wish we didn't have to wait so long for the release of The Poachers Son,but it will be worth waiting for,so others I know can share my enthusiasm..I look forward to #2 in the Mike Bowditch series...Best  Susan,Vtc   I am giving Mike's Mom a second chance,we all deserve that...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

I really enjoyed this book now that I think about it. Some characters irritated me. But I liked Charlie and Ora. They seem the perfect couple and am glad they will be in future books. Jack was not liked from the beginning. I guess the scene about teaching Mike to trap said it all for that character. But I never would have guessed he was responsible for so much death. Somehow I knew that the last chapter would reveal the killer and I was almost right. And when Pellitier and Truman were dead, you somehow thought that one of them did the crimes and turn on the other. I'm glad Jack didn't harm Mike but I had my doubts. I kept thinking what was Jack going to do with Mike once they reach Canada? It was a very engrossing book for me and I had no problem with reading it quickly. Maybe I should have stayed on schedule but found I couldn't as I wanted to read on and see what was going on.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

I read the whole book, but I can't say i was surprised that Jack did it. I thought all the clues pointed that way, and Mike was trying very hard to hide from reality.It was an enjoyable story, but from my perspective, not much of a mystery. Mike seemed to be constantly reacting instead of acting. Usually in a mystery, you find the main character acting to solve the crime. I felt that Mike was running away from finding out who did it. 

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I really enjoyed this book now that I think about it. Some characters irritated me. But I liked Charlie and Ora. They seem the perfect couple and am glad they will be in future books. Jack was not liked from the beginning. I guess the scene about teaching Mike to trap said it all for that character. But I never would have guessed he was responsible for so much death. Somehow I knew that the last chapter would reveal the killer and I was almost right. And when Pellitier and Truman were dead, you somehow thought that one of them did the crimes and turn on the other. I'm glad Jack didn't harm Mike but I had my doubts. I kept thinking what was Jack going to do with Mike once they reach Canada? It was a very engrossing book for me and I had no problem with reading it quickly. Maybe I should have stayed on schedule but found I couldn't as I wanted to read on and see what was going on.

Hi Maxcat.

I'm glad the book has stayed with you. And I don't mind at all that you didn't stick to the B&N schedule.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

nfam wrote:

I read the whole book, but I can't say i was surprised that Jack did it. I thought all the clues pointed that way, and Mike was trying very hard to hide from reality.It was an enjoyable story, but from my perspective, not much of a mystery. Mike seemed to be constantly reacting instead of acting. Usually in a mystery, you find the main character acting to solve the crime. I felt that Mike was running away from finding out who did it. 

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Your impression that Mike was running away from finding out who did it shows a great deal of pyschological insight into his character (at least in terms of this particular story). 

I think you'll see a very different, more active side of Mike in the next book.

Paul

Wordsmith
literature

JuneC wrote:

"wouldn't it be a relief for Mike if the caring individuals, Charlie and wife, become more of a part of his life?  He sure could use that."

What's very interesting is that (page 249) when Mike woke up the next morning at Charley's/Ora's place and Ora asked Mike "Did you sleep all right, dear?", Mike's response "Better than I have in a long time, actually."
Mike must have felt very comfortable there, especially after having dinner there the night before.  Mike described Ora's dinner in precise details and then added "It was the kind of meal my mother never made."  
Let's hope in the sequels to follow that Mike develops a nice relationship with both Charley and Ora.  Paul...hint, hint.

Correspondent
Sadie1
0 Kudos

socalreader wrote:

I think the thing that surprised me the most (and this because I found nothing at all attractive about Jack; quite the contrary, I thot he was dirty and sleazy), was the fact that 15 years later, Mike's mom thought. . . actually hoped. . . . she would be the one that Jack came back for.  Huh????   I don't get that.  I finished the book some time ago, and I'm still scratching my head over that. 

socalreader,

This part didn't surprise me at all.  Jack had been a better person in his younger life.  It was his life experiences that turned him into the person he had become. 

Mike had high hopes all throughout the book that his father was innocent.  Mike had good and bad memories of his father.  He never gave up on the good side of his father.

Mike's mom, I feel also had high hopes that Jack would come back around one day to be the man she had fallen in love with so many years before.  That he would wake up and see what he had become and straighten up and see all the mistakes he had made and what he had lost and apologize for those mistakes.

Someone else mentioned they didn't like the step-father.  I liked him.  He is a sensible man and Mike and his mother needed that in their lives.

We all harbor a spot in our lives for people in our pasts that we once loved.  For whatever reasons, those relationships ended and each moved on.  It's quite common for us as part of our makeup in our human nature to want that person we once loved to come around eventually one day.

Anywhooo...I loved this book.  I was totally taken by surprise at the ending.  At one point, I thought maybe Charley did it.  What a relief it was to me to find out that Charley didn't do it.  I cried at different parts of the book.  Especially when Charley's plane went down and when Jack had the gun on Mike.

Great book all in all and I can't wait to read more about Mike and his adventures with the other characters.

Even DeSalle.  Will be nice to see him learn his lesson and change.  See, I have high hopes he will change his wicked ways and not lose his son to learn that lesson.  I just knew while reading the book that his son was going to drown or something.

Lisa in Georgia

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Paul-Doiron wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

momoftwinsMM wrote:

It took awhile to process and I was very disappointed for Mike that Jack did not end up being the man he thought he was.

At the same time, the outcome was surprising (I don't know if we can call it a twist, because it was he was the main suspect the entire time), which I always like. I am disappointed when outcomes are easily discovered.

I was also very disappointed that the reason for the murder was the because of Brenda's supposed "rape." Although it is a viable reason, I wanted it to be politically motivated for some reason.

I still enjoyed the book overall. The writing was impeccable and I was drawn to the plot and the characters. I will recommend it! 

It took awhile to process and I was very disappointed for Mike that Jack did not end up being the man he thought he was.

One of the thoughts that crossed my mind was that a next title could be: The Killer's Son.  What a heavy burden for Mike to shoulder and under which to create a life for himself!  This set-up from his initial novel should test Dorion's considerable skills at characterization.

I was also very disappointed that the reason for the murder was the because of Brenda's supposed "rape." Although it is a viable reason, I wanted it to be politically motivated for some reason.

It was surprising to me that the reasons were so closely personal and primatively possessive within almost a familial tribe or clan.  (Yet, that is often true of murder crimes.) I did expect larger societal conflicts as well, ala the overtaking lumber conglomerate.  (To compare again, as I have often, with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which so powerfully mixes personal, family and societal dysfunction.) My deepest mystery at the end of this read was still the character of Jack himself -- his continuing connection to his alienated ex-wife, his alternating grasping and pushing away of Mike, his predatory protectiveness of Brenda.  If we are going to understand Mike in the upcoming books, I still think we will need to know more about the character of his father.

I still enjoyed the book overall. The writing was impeccable and I was drawn to the plot and the characters. I will recommend it!

Agreed!

Pepper

Thank you, Pepper.The second book is a test, but hopefully I'll pass. It will take some time for Mike to make sense of what he's been through, and more than anyone he's going to be asking himself who is father really was. That question of how well we can ever know another human being is one that fascinates me.

Paul

momoftwinsMM wrote:

At the same time, the outcome was surprising (I don't know if we can call it a twist, because it was he was the main suspect the entire time), which I always like. I am disappointed when outcomes are easily discovered.

One of the thoughts that crossed my mind was that a next title could be: The Killer's Son.  What a heavy burden for Mike to shoulder and under which to create a life for himself!  This set-up from his initial novel should test Dorion's considerable skills at characterization.

It was surprising to me that the reasons were so closely personal and primatively possessive within almost a familial tribe or clan.  (Yet, that is often true of murder crimes.) I did expect larger societal conflicts as well, ala the overtaking lumber conglomerate.  (To compare again, as I have often, with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which so powerfully mixes personal, family and societal dysfunction.) My deepest mystery at the end of this read was still the character of Jack himself -- his continuing connection to his alienated ex-wife, his alternating grasping and pushing away of Mike, his predatory protectiveness of Brenda.  If we are going to understand Mike in the upcoming books, I still think we will need to know more about the character of his father.

Agreed!

Pepper

Thank you, Pepper.The second book is a test, but hopefully I'll pass. It will take some time for Mike to make sense of what he's been through, and more than anyone he's going to be asking himself who is father really was. That question of how well we can ever know another human being is one that fascinates me.

Paul

Not only will Mike have to figure out who is father really was but will also have to come to terms with his feelings about their relationship during his entire life and then learn to trust people again, especially Sarah if they get back together.  That's many years of therapy at best!  That's why Charley and Ora have to be an integral part of his life.  He will also have to come to terms with his mother.  We can forget about Neil.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Well, like many, I could not even imagine keeping on schedule with the reading.  When a book pulls me in right from the beginning, I cannot stop turning those pages until the last word is devoured!  The Poacher's Son definitely fits that description!  Paul, I have no doubt that your book will hit the bestseller list!

I am glad to hear that we will be reading more about Charlie and Ora.  They are a couple that I would love to know, and I can just imagine their house.  I am hoping that something happens that they can keep the house since it is so special. 

Mike has a long way to travel, emotionally.  I have faith in him that he will make it.  He is surrounded by a lot of really good individuals that will support him on his journey. 

Thank you so much, Paul, for creating such a wonderful novel and sharing it will all of us!  I can't wait to read more of your work!

Aimee 

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I loved the book and I also love that those of us who have a hard time sticking to a reading schedule are getting the option of discussing the book in its entirety.  When I start to read a book I enjoy I can't just wait until I'm "allowed" to read the next section - once I start I tend to continue to read through to the end.

The Poacher's Son really draws you in. I loved Charley and Ora and am hoping that Mike can continue his relationship with them in the next book, which I'm anxious to be able to read.  I found the ending very unexpected.  I turned every page waiting for more evidence of Jack's innocence. 

I think the interest that Charley took in Mike convinced me of that even more.  I thought he was trying to help him prove his father's innocence.  After he was proven guilty I found myself a little confused about why he became so involved with Mike.  I've come up with about 50 theories so far - from Charley believing that Jack was innocent to his being sure of his guilt and trying to help Mike see that guilt for himself.  I am curious what everyone else thinks about Charley's reasoning for getting so involved with Mike.

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

dg wrote:

I loved the book and I also love that those of us who have a hard time sticking to a reading schedule are getting the option of discussing the book in its entirety.  When I start to read a book I enjoy I can't just wait until I'm "allowed" to read the next section - once I start I tend to continue to read through to the end.

The Poacher's Son really draws you in. I loved Charley and Ora and am hoping that Mike can continue his relationship with them in the next book, which I'm anxious to be able to read.  I found the ending very unexpected.  I turned every page waiting for more evidence of Jack's innocence. 

I think the interest that Charley took in Mike convinced me of that even more.  I thought he was trying to help him prove his father's innocence.  After he was proven guilty I found myself a little confused about why he became so involved with Mike.  I've come up with about 50 theories so far - from Charley believing that Jack was innocent to his being sure of his guilt and trying to help Mike see that guilt for himself.  I am curious what everyone else thinks about Charley's reasoning for getting so involved with Mike.

I'm curious too. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks before I weigh in.

Paul

PS. Thank you dg for the flattering note. I'm really pleased my book drew you in the way it did.