Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

Zeal wrote:

Well, like many, I could not even imagine keeping on schedule with the reading.  When a book pulls me in right from the beginning, I cannot stop turning those pages until the last word is devoured!  The Poacher's Son definitely fits that description!  Paul, I have no doubt that your book will hit the bestseller list!

I am glad to hear that we will be reading more about Charlie and Ora.  They are a couple that I would love to know, and I can just imagine their house.  I am hoping that something happens that they can keep the house since it is so special. 

Mike has a long way to travel, emotionally.  I have faith in him that he will make it.  He is surrounded by a lot of really good individuals that will support him on his journey. 

Thank you so much, Paul, for creating such a wonderful novel and sharing it will all of us!  I can't wait to read more of your work!

Aimee 

Aimee,

I really don't know what to say except thank you. When you're sitting in a cramped little room with just your imagination to keep you company, typing a story into a computer, unsure whether it will ever be published or whether anyone will ever read what you've written (let alone be moved by it), it's hard to dream this big. I've just been blown away by the reactions I've been getting here.

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Literature wrote:  We can forget about Neil.

Literature -- Seems to me that depends on who Neil turns out to be.  We have our first (not-so-hot) impressions, but those aren't necessarily true or pervasive, and Dorion could be an author willing to confront us as readers.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dg,,Paul..My feeling why Charley gets so involved with Mike is..Charley has a long history with Jack,which will find out more about in Book#2,right Paul?.From the moment when he let it go when he knew about the Poaching,and didn't"Bust" them so to speak.He also didn't want Mike to see his father being arrested.He is protective of Mike,he knows what kind of life Jack provided for his family and that did not and still to this day doesn't sit well with Charley.Charley is all about his Family.I am sure it's more involved,and that really makes me wonder even more about Mike Bowditch Series #2.Secrets that will be revealed.Its exciting Paul to speculate..We are there with you..When you have a cover picked out for Book #2.Will you post it on your website..We will be checking you know..We love to see"Book Covers.".Enjoying the discussions,and having you so involved.Have a Good Night.,to both of you....Susan VTC....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree completely... I think Charley had to have been my favorite character.  (and possibly not just in this book., :smileyhappy:

librarysusie wrote:

Finally!:smileyhappy:

When I finished this book I just sat there for awhile trying to get my mouth to close and all I could think was WOW! I Did Not see that coming!

I almost cried when we thought Charley was dead I loved his character so much . I am so glad Paul decided to let him live I look forward to seeing more of him in future books.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

nlsamson wrote:

I agree completely... I think Charley had to have been my favorite character.  (and possibly not just in this book., :smileyhappy:

librarysusie wrote:

When I finished this book I just sat there for awhile trying to get my mouth to close and all I could think was WOW! I Did Not see that coming!

I almost cried when we thought Charley was dead I loved his character so much . I am so glad Paul decided to let him live I look forward to seeing more of him in future books.

I did have tears for Charley,and we are all in agreement,he will be an important part of Mike Bowditch Series#2..Yea!..

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

That chapter with Charley's plane going down was a hard chpater to read.

I too am assuming (hint to you Paul:smileywink:) that we see more of Charley and Nora in the coming books. pen21

Vermontcozy wrote:

nlsamson wrote:

librarysusie wrote:

I did have tears for Charley,and we are all in agreement,he will be an important part of Mike Bowditch Series#2..Yea!..

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I loved the book. I was on schedule for the first two sections. But then I started the next section and the story just kept me going. I was surprised that it was Jack. I like a book that does that. This book has strong characters and they are easy to become involved with.

Luanne

I'm with you on this - I was on schedule for the first two weeks, but when I started the third section, I kept reading.  I wasn't surprised that Jack did it, I was surprised at the reason.  Brenda turns out to be the worst villan.

MG

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I read it too...I really tried to read it with the schedule but I just couldn't wait and finished it yesterday. All my predictions were wrong. :smileysad:The characters just kept surprising me.:smileysurprised: I think it will make a great series.

fordmg wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I loved the book. I was on schedule for the first two sections. But then I started the next section and the story just kept me going. I was surprised that it was Jack. I like a book that does that. This book has strong characters and they are easy to become involved with.

Luanne

I'm with you on this - I was on schedule for the first two weeks, but when I started the third section, I kept reading.  I wasn't surprised that Jack did it, I was surprised at the reason.  Brenda turns out to be the worst villan.

MG

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

fordmg wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Luanne

MG

Hi MG,

I'm glad I hooked you. Brenda is certainly a piece of work, but she had a horrific upbringing, not that it excuses her actions. I read a lot of mysteries and I'm surprised that so many authors focus so much on the "who" rather than the "why." In real life people kill each other for the most bizarre reasons, and most of the time the police know who the murderer is from the start of the investigation. It's figuring out the "how" and the "why" that becomes the challenge. To me that's more interesting than trying to guess whether it was Colonel Mustard or Miss Scarlet who did it.

Paul 

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Ok, I confess, I couldn't stay on the schedule either. I truly tried, but I kept saying, "one more chapter" and the next thing I knew, I was done.  Always a sign of a great book.

I found it amazing that I could hate Jack as much as I did yet still wish he was innocent for Mike's sake, his father gave him absolutely nothing, I was hoping that the one thing he finally gave Mike was showing him that Mike's belief in his innocence wasn't a mistake.  But we know how that turned out, what a creep, I thought it was impossible to dislike him even more than I already did, but those last chapters with Brenda proved me wrong. I was so glad he got to know Charlie, I hope we see him and his wife in your next book, and I hope Mike remains a close friend to him.

Thanks for letting us have this opportunity to preview your first book, it was truly a pleasure.

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Correspondent
Sadie1

dg wrote:
 I am curious what everyone else thinks about Charley's reasoning for getting so involved with Mike.

dg,  I think that Charley felt an attachment to Mike from when Mike was a young boy prior to moving and again when he came back for the visit as a teen.  During the teen visit, Mike saved Charley's life by lying to him and Charley knew that.  That's why Charley brougth it up while searching for Jack and answers.  Charley saw a spark of good in Mike when Mike was a teenager.
Charley know's by Mike being a warden that he is not like his father Jack.  He knows that Mike is attached to his father like any child would be whether it was a good or bad relationship.  Charley is training Mike in a subtle way to me.  Charley see's the promise in Mike and takes him under his wing.  I like the way Charley dealt with Mike too.  He never came out and said Jack was guilty.  He just took Mike around places and let Mike get answers on his own that Mike needed to know.  Love how this part transpired in the story.
Paul..YOU DONE GOOD!  That reminds me..love the part about the "redneck"..I had no idea that there were "rednecks" up north too.  I thought that was a southern thing.  LOL!
Another thing Paul that I kinda wish was in this book.  A map of the area.  Could be a fictional map like some books have you know.  Just to give more of a visual of how far places are from each other.  Just a little black and white map...maybe the next book?  Take the book Eragon for instance..fictional about a dragon...there's a map..I found myself constantly referring to that map and while reading your book, I kept telling myself, I wish there was a map to help me visualize it all.
Lisa in Georgia

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I read it too...I really tried to read it with the schedule but I just couldn't wait and finished it yesterday. All my predictions were wrong. :smileysad:The characters just kept surprising me.:smileysurprised: I think it will make a great series.

fordmg wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Luanne

MG

VtCozy wrote...Now that we are all on the same page,I am curious to learn the rest of Paul's story and how the novel evolved...Susan

Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
0 Kudos

I am curious what everyone else thinks about Charley's reasoning for getting so involved with Mike.

I'm curious too. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks before I weigh in.

Paul

I think their relationship all stems back to the night in the camp when Mike saves Charley's life.Charley knew Jack and his buddies and how they were and I think he saw the fear in Mike not only fear for Charley but Mike's fear for himself as well. Also I'm sure that wasn't the only run in Charley had with Jack but I think that one stuck in Charley's mind because of the boy that was Mike.

*This is Pure Conjecture*-We may also find out that Charley may have had a similar upbringing.I am looking forward to more of this story to get more indepth with the characters I'm already invested in!

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sadie1 wrote:

dg wrote:

dg,  I think that Charley felt an attachment to Mike from when Mike was a young boy prior to moving and again when he came back for the visit as a teen.  During the teen visit, Mike saved Charley's life by lying to him and Charley knew that.  That's why Charley brougth it up while searching for Jack and answers.  Charley saw a spark of good in Mike when Mike was a teenager.
Charley know's by Mike being a warden that he is not like his father Jack.  He knows that Mike is attached to his father like any child would be whether it was a good or bad relationship.  Charley is training Mike in a subtle way to me.  Charley see's the promise in Mike and takes him under his wing.  I like the way Charley dealt with Mike too.  He never came out and said Jack was guilty.  He just took Mike around places and let Mike get answers on his own that Mike needed to know.  Love how this part transpired in the story.
Paul..YOU DONE GOOD!  That reminds me..love the part about the "redneck"..I had no idea that there were "rednecks" up north too.  I thought that was a southern thing.  LOL!
Another thing Paul that I kinda wish was in this book.  A map of the area.  Could be a fictional map like some books have you know.  Just to give more of a visual of how far places are from each other.  Just a little black and white map...maybe the next book?  Take the book Eragon for instance..fictional about a dragon...there's a map..I found myself constantly referring to that map and while reading your book, I kept telling myself, I wish there was a map to help me visualize it all.
Lisa in Georgia

Hi Sadie,

Oh, we have our fair share of rednecks in Maine, although they're less sunburned because we have less sun. It might surprise you to learn that country and western is the most popular music here, based on the top radio stations.

I can understand how a map would help clarify the back and forth between Mike's coastal district and the North Woods area around Flagstaff and Rum Pond. In real terms we'd be talking about a drive that could take anywhere from four to six hours depending on how long you spent on logging roads. For instance, from Camden it's a four and a half hour drive to Spencer Lake where the old (real) POW camp was. I envision Rum Pond as being even more remote.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nymazz wrote:

Ok, I confess, I couldn't stay on the schedule either. I truly tried, but I kept saying, "one more chapter" and the next thing I knew, I was done.  Always a sign of a great book.

I found it amazing that I could hate Jack as much as I did yet still wish he was innocent for Mike's sake, his father gave him absolutely nothing, I was hoping that the one thing he finally gave Mike was showing him that Mike's belief in his innocence wasn't a mistake.  But we know how that turned out, what a creep, I thought it was impossible to dislike him even more than I already did, but those last chapters with Brenda proved me wrong. I was so glad he got to know Charlie, I hope we see him and his wife in your next book, and I hope Mike remains a close friend to him.

Thanks for letting us have this opportunity to preview your first book, it was truly a pleasure.

Hi nymazz (or can I call you mazz?),

It's been a pleasure having this dialogue with all of you too. I've actually gotten some great ideas for the book I'm working on and the next one. :smileyhappy: Charley is going to remain a major character throughout the series. For those of you who've read Tony Hillerman's wonderful mysteries, Charley is something like the Joe Leaphorn to Mike's Jim Chee. Hillerman was a big inspiration for me, especially in the way he depicted culture and setting.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

fordmg wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Luanne

MG

Hi,

Thanks! I think the challenge with creating characters is that you do want them to be suprising. People in my life, even the ones I know well, sometimes especially the ones I know well, surprise me all the time. But characters can't be erratic in terms of their behavior, either. You have to ask yourself constantly: Would this person actually say this? Are they capable of this kind of behavior? In The Poacher's Son, you also have Mike as an unreliable narrator. We're seeing the story through his warped perspective most of the time.

Paul

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

dg,,Paul..My feeling why Charley gets so involved with Mike is..Charley has a long history with Jack,which will find out more about in Book#2,right Paul?.From the moment when he let it go when he knew about the Poaching,and didn't"Bust" them so to speak.He also didn't want Mike to see his father being arrested.He is protective of Mike,he knows what kind of life Jack provided for his family and that did not and still to this day doesn't sit well with Charley.Charley is all about his Family.I am sure it's more involved,and that really makes me wonder even more about Mike Bowditch Series #2.Secrets that will be revealed.Its exciting Paul to speculate..We are there with you..When you have a cover picked out for Book #2.Will you post it on your website..We will be checking you know..We love to see"Book Covers.".Enjoying the discussions,and having you so involved.Have a Good Night.,to both of you....Susan VTC....

Contributor
lannulis
0 Kudos

I did it too, I read it all in 2 sittings.  I tried to stop, but I just couldn't.  I really enjoyed the writing style and the character development.  I was surprised that Jack did it, but then I wasn't.  I am someone that usually believes the best in a person and I have a hard time believing the worst.  I was surprised about BJ and who she turned out to be.  I started turning a bit against Jack at that point, but I was holding out that it was someone else and he was really on the run.  I felt he betrayed me when I got to the end.  I had a few moments where I thought maybe it was the pilot, but that was just for a bit. 

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

I was new to the FLC and didn't know there would even be a schedule, lol.  I thought I needed to have the whole thing read before we started talking about it.  I probably wouldn't have been able to put it down anyway - I really enjoyed it and I really wanted to know "Who done it!".

I may be naive, lol, but I was surprised AND disappointed that it really was Jack who did it.  I am a sap, I guess and was hoping it would be someone else.  I did think it was a good twist that he was really aiming for the trooper and the executive was the "innocent" 2nd victim, rather than the other way around!

I have really enjoyed being a part of First Look and I hope I can be in the next one as well!

Becky in IN

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

JuneC wrote:

Whew, finally this thread! As others had done, I finished the book in the first week . I love a book that flies! 

Aside from Charlie and his wife I didn't really like any of the characters in this story. Which, BTW, doesn't mean it wasn't a good story for me.  It might be the reason to keep reading sometimes. 

It's more than easy to dislike Jack and his camp buddies. And Sarah doesn't strike me as a warm individual even thought I completely understand her reasons for not staying with Mike.  His mother isn't exactly the support Mike could use either. And let's' not even bring up Mr. Step Daddy. 

Mike, as I mentioned in a earlier post, is to me quite immature.  He has a "pie in the sky" idea that his miserable excuse for a father is worth caring about and fighting for.  How sad.  Oh boy this guy could use therapy!

As others have stated wouldn't it be a relief for Mike if the caring individuals, Charlie and wife, become more of a part of his life?  He sure could use that.

And what about DeSalle?  Was he just a decoy to throw us off Jack's trail? 

Paul....????

I haven't finished this thread so this may have already been answered, but I was wondering about this incident as well. Wondering what discipline or punishement might be awaiting Mike, both due to the inident with DeSalle AND from his "abandoning" his post and his meeting with his superior...

Becky in IN