Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

Becktrek wrote:

JuneC wrote:

Whew, finally this thread! As others had done, I finished the book in the first week . I love a book that flies! 

Aside from Charlie and his wife I didn't really like any of the characters in this story. Which, BTW, doesn't mean it wasn't a good story for me.  It might be the reason to keep reading sometimes. 

It's more than easy to dislike Jack and his camp buddies. And Sarah doesn't strike me as a warm individual even thought I completely understand her reasons for not staying with Mike.  His mother isn't exactly the support Mike could use either. And let's' not even bring up Mr. Step Daddy. 

Mike, as I mentioned in a earlier post, is to me quite immature.  He has a "pie in the sky" idea that his miserable excuse for a father is worth caring about and fighting for.  How sad.  Oh boy this guy could use therapy!

As others have stated wouldn't it be a relief for Mike if the caring individuals, Charlie and wife, become more of a part of his life?  He sure could use that.

And what about DeSalle?  Was he just a decoy to throw us off Jack's trail? 

Paul....????

I haven't finished this thread so this may have already been answered, but I was wondering about this incident as well. Wondering what discipline or punishement might be awaiting Mike, both due to the inident with DeSalle AND from his "abandoning" his post and his meeting with his superior...

Becky in IN

Hi Becky,

First, I want to thank you for reading my novel through to the end. That's a great compliment.

The Maine Warden Service conducts internal investigations on all complaints. In Mike's case, because he was within his responsibility to ask for DeSalle and Nappi's ID and licenses, the issue would be his comportmant; at worst, this would just earn him a chewing out, I believe. As far as not showing up in Lieutenant Malcomb's office, the consequences would have been much more severe. But I intended the last scene in the hospital (with Kathy and the lieutenant) to suggest that Mike was off the hook for having saved Charley Stevens' life. I'm sure he'd still get a lecture but Charley is a beloved figure in the warden service in my book.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

lannulis wrote:

I did it too, I read it all in 2 sittings.  I tried to stop, but I just couldn't.  I really enjoyed the writing style and the character development.  I was surprised that Jack did it, but then I wasn't.  I am someone that usually believes the best in a person and I have a hard time believing the worst.  I was surprised about BJ and who she turned out to be.  I started turning a bit against Jack at that point, but I was holding out that it was someone else and he was really on the run.  I felt he betrayed me when I got to the end.  I had a few moments where I thought maybe it was the pilot, but that was just for a bit. 

Hi Iannulis,

I think two sittings might be a record! I'm glad you were carried along by my story. Thank you so much.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

That is a great point. Mike was actually misdirecting us because of his emotional involvement in the case, which flawed his judgment.

I thought that the main characters were developed well and I did not find them erratic, just opening up in different directions as we learned more about them. The more I learned, the more I realized I had made pretty snap judgments, just like Mike, because I was identifying with him..

I am wondering how he will evolve in the future if this is going to be a series. Will he be more thoughtful, less impulsive, more respectful of authority? Will he get back with Sarah? It was easy to forget how young he was once I started to read. He really didn't have that much experience on the job and was not high up in the hierarchy. He is a very young man with his future ahead of him. I wonder if we will watch him mature and grow into his work in the way Charley seemed to have embraced the job. Will Sarah or his future partner be as undemanding as Ora was? She seemed to be the perfect wife for Charley. 
Do you have any idea which characters you will further develop and which you will ignore? I don't know if you have already answered this, but I was also wondering when you thought the next book in the series would be published.

Also, many thanks to you for participating in our discussion.

Paul-Doiron wrote:
Hi,

Thanks! I think the challenge with creating characters is that you do want them to be suprising. People in my life, even the ones I know well, sometimes especially the ones I know well, surprise me all the time. But characters can't be erratic in terms of their behavior, either. You have to ask yourself constantly: Would this person actually say this? Are they capable of this kind of behavior? In The Poacher's Son, you also have Mike as an unreliable narrator. We're seeing the story through his warped perspective most of the time.

Paul

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

"I haven't finished this thread so this may have already been answered, but I was wondering about this incident as well. Wondering what discipline or punishement might be awaiting Mike, both due to the inident with DeSalle AND from his "abandoning" his post and his meeting with his superior...

Becky in IN

Hi Becky,

First, I want to thank you for reading my novel through to the end. That's a great compliment.

The Maine Warden Service conducts internal investigations on all complaints. In Mike's case, because he was within his responsibility to ask for DeSalle and Nappi's ID and licenses, the issue would be his comportmant; at worst, this would just earn him a chewing out, I believe. As far as not showing up in Lieutenant Malcomb's office, the consequences would have been much more severe. But I intended the last scene in the hospital (with Kathy and the lieutenant) to suggest that Mike was off the hook for having saved Charley Stevens' life. I'm sure he'd still get a lecture but Charley is a beloved figure in the warden service in my book.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com"

Paul,

You are welcome for reading your book - I certainly was NOT disappointed.  I will be passing it along to my family (who tried to steal it from me during a visit) when our discussion is over!  Thank YOU for allowing FLC to feature it.  I have learned a lot about the writing process from your answers to questions and the whole thing is just very interesting to me.

Thanks for clearing up the punishment aspect.  I know you didn't intend on DeSalle to be so prominent but it is evident from this thread and the others that he really stuck in a lot of readers minds, including my own.

I also feel like I learned quite a bit about the Vermont Wilderness, so thanks for that as well!

Becky in IN

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

That is a great point. Mike was actually misdirecting us because of his emotional involvement in the case, which flawed his judgment.

I thought that the main characters were developed well and I did not find them erratic, just opening up in different directions as we learned more about them. The more I learned, the more I realized I had made pretty snap judgments, just like Mike, because I was identifying with him..

I am wondering how he will evolve in the future if this is going to be a series. Will he be more thoughtful, less impulsive, more respectful of authority? Will he get back with Sarah? It was easy to forget how young he was once I started to read. He really didn't have that much experience on the job and was not high up in the hierarchy. He is a very young man with his future ahead of him. I wonder if we will watch him mature and grow into his work in the way Charley seemed to have embraced the job. Will Sarah or his future partner be as undemanding as Ora was? She seemed to be the perfect wife for Charley. 
Do you have any idea which characters you will further develop and which you will ignore? I don't know if you have already answered this, but I was also wondering when you thought the next book in the series would be published.

Also, many thanks to you for participating in our discussion.

Paul-Doiron wrote:
Hi,

Thanks! I think the challenge with creating characters is that you do want them to be suprising. People in my life, even the ones I know well, sometimes especially the ones I know well, surprise me all the time. But characters can't be erratic in terms of their behavior, either. You have to ask yourself constantly: Would this person actually say this? Are they capable of this kind of behavior? In The Poacher's Son, you also have Mike as an unreliable narrator. We're seeing the story through his warped perspective most of the time.

Paul

Hi,

I think Minotaur Books is aiming for a late spring 2011 release for the second book, which is still in search of a title, but that will depend on how the editing process plays out, and maybe even how The Poacher's Son sells. This is all new to me.

Without giving too much away, Mike is a year older in the next book and he's definitely learned from his experience, but he's deeply scarred (who wouldn't be?). I didn't want to vault far into Mike's future because I wanted to explore how a person copes with that level of betrayal and guilt.

The next book goes in a different direction than I think you'd guess, but I will say that just about all of the secondary characters play significant roles, and I introduce some new colorful people into Mike's world as well.

Paul

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Literature wrote:  We can forget about Neil.

Literature -- Seems to me that depends on who Neil turns out to be.  We have our first (not-so-hot) impressions, but those aren't necessarily true or pervasive, and Dorion could be an author willing to confront us as readers.

Pepper

Hi Pepper,
I promise to keep an open mind and look forward to book #2!

Correspondent
mamawli

Thank you for this thread.  I did not want to state anything that might harm someone who did not finish the book.  I am so glad that you are allowing us to post the rest of the book earlier than on schedule because this is an exceptional story.  It was very difficult to keep on task with The Poacher's Son, because every page was so exciting.  When I came to the end of this section I had to stay up late and finish the book.

This is the first mystery that I have read where the police were correct about the murderer all along.

The characters were extremely interesting.  Brenda was complicated and evoked quite a bit of emotion.  Charlie & Ora were extremely likeable.  Kathy was interesting and I would like to see a romance between Mike and his boss lady.  The reason I think that Kathy would be better for Mike is because she understands his love of the outdoors and the lifestyle of a game warden.

All I can say is that The Poacher's son is a treat for all who read.

Contributor
skrupp
0 Kudos

What a great book.  I loved the Charley and Ora characters.  they represented what a good marriage can be--even through tough times.  I felt sorry for Mike, he had such a hard life.  And at the end, even his mother couldn't take the time to ask if he was okay.  She, well Neil, only thought about themselves.  No wonder Mike should really seek some professional help:smileyhappy:

What a surprise ending, although looking back once I was done, I should have seen it coming in the shooting of the first two men.  the police office, Brodeur, was shot first and shot twice.  Charley's description of the shooting should have clued me in as to who was the target if nothing else.  It was a well written book with an ending you didn't see coming.  I really enjoyed it.  Thank you Paul for a great read.

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

skrupp wrote:

What a great book.  I loved the Charley and Ora characters.  they represented what a good marriage can be--even through tough times.  I felt sorry for Mike, he had such a hard life.  And at the end, even his mother couldn't take the time to ask if he was okay.  She, well Neil, only thought about themselves.  No wonder Mike should really seek some professional help:smileyhappy:

What a surprise ending, although looking back once I was done, I should have seen it coming in the shooting of the first two men.  the police office, Brodeur, was shot first and shot twice.  Charley's description of the shooting should have clued me in as to who was the target if nothing else.  It was a well written book with an ending you didn't see coming.  I really enjoyed it.  Thank you Paul for a great read.

Hi Skrupp,

Thank you for sticking with me till the end. You can't believe how happy it makes me to read notes yours.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

mamawli wrote:

Thank you for this thread.  I did not want to state anything that might harm someone who did not finish the book.  I am so glad that you are allowing us to post the rest of the book earlier than on schedule because this is an exceptional story.  It was very difficult to keep on task with The Poacher's Son, because every page was so exciting.  When I came to the end of this section I had to stay up late and finish the book.

This is the first mystery that I have read where the police were correct about the murderer all along.

The characters were extremely interesting.  Brenda was complicated and evoked quite a bit of emotion.  Charlie & Ora were extremely likeable.  Kathy was interesting and I would like to see a romance between Mike and his boss lady.  The reason I think that Kathy would be better for Mike is because she understands his love of the outdoors and the lifestyle of a game warden.

Hi,

I'm sorry for keeping you up late. :smileyhappy:

When I started the book, I knew I was taking a terrific risk in writing a mystery that ends with the prime suspect actually being guilty. There's a good reason why authors don't do this, I'm sure, but I just decided to forge recklessly ahead. (People ask me how I'm like Mike; there is one point of comparison.) And I know the ending won't work for all readers. That's OK. In my job as a magazine editor I learned long ago that when you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.

But I'm very, very happy that this book entertained you. Being part of B&N First Look has been a treat for me.

Paul

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I just love this line from your post. I hadn't thought of that.

But you are so right. And it was a nice twist.

pen21

mamawli wrote:

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Shoot! You got me Paul! I just knew Jack would not be guilty even though I really disliked him. I had everyone else pegged as a suspect and surely Jack's name would be cleared! I was seeing things through Mike's eyes and I just knew it had to be someone else who did it! Mike couldn't be wrong! Wow! What a shock! The last section of the book was very suspenseful for me and I couldn't put it down. When I finished it, I had to just sit a moment! Great ending! Really! It's kind of nice sometimes when the ending is totally unexpected! I'll be looking forward to reading more about Mike. 

I am thrilled that Charley and Ora will be back, although at one point I had Charley pegged as a suspect. He just knew so much information about the murders. I'm glad it wasn't him as I really like Charley and Ora. Ora seemed like a book nut just like me so I was instantly drawn to her and I loved how much Charley cares for her. So opposite of how Jack treated those he loved. Let's hope Mike can learn a bit about relationships from Charley.

I can't wait to see what happens next! I hope the next book is just as suspenseful! I loved that I kept guessing at whodunit! I hate when you figure a mystery out and have a good chunk of the book left to read! Keep us guessing! I'm looking forward to the next book!

Thanks for sharing your novel with us!

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

retromom wrote:

Shoot! You got me Paul! I just knew Jack would not be guilty even though I really disliked him. I had everyone else pegged as a suspect and surely Jack's name would be cleared! I was seeing things through Mike's eyes and I just knew it had to be someone else who did it! Mike couldn't be wrong! Wow! What a shock! The last section of the book was very suspenseful for me and I couldn't put it down. When I finished it, I had to just sit a moment! Great ending! Really! It's kind of nice sometimes when the ending is totally unexpected! I'll be looking forward to reading more about Mike. 

I am thrilled that Charley and Ora will be back, although at one point I had Charley pegged as a suspect. He just knew so much information about the murders. I'm glad it wasn't him as I really like Charley and Ora. Ora seemed like a book nut just like me so I was instantly drawn to her and I loved how much Charley cares for her. So opposite of how Jack treated those he loved. Let's hope Mike can learn a bit about relationships from Charley.

I can't wait to see what happens next! I hope the next book is just as suspenseful! I loved that I kept guessing at whodunit! I hate when you figure a mystery out and have a good chunk of the book left to read! Keep us guessing! I'm looking forward to the next book!

Thanks for sharing your novel with us!

Hi Beth,

From one bookaholic to another, thank you. I think the second novel is even more suspenseful than the first (and you'll be glad Mike's learned a few things from Charley Ora, just not enough yet). But I'm still too close to the second book to appraise it objectively. That's why I depend on my agent and editor.

Paul

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

I tried to stay on schedule, but last night I gave in and finished the story.  Super good mystery.  And I so totally agree that this is the first novel I've read where the first suspect is the real suspect!

pen21 wrote:

I just love this line from your post. I hadn't thought of that.

But you are so right. And it was a nice twist.

pen21

mamawli wrote:

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

mamawli wrote:

Hi Mamawli,

In the beginning I was hoping that Kathy and Mike might get together but then I changed my mind.  I think she is too much of a dominant figure for him.   She has a strong presence and the way she always puts her thumbs/fingers in her belt when she stands and talks makes her a little bit too masculine.  I can even visualize her voice as being somewhat gruff.  In other words, I don't think she is very feminine.  She's very nice, caring, emotional and devoted.  I think being with her would be somewhat detrimental to the building up of his confidence as he might find her strong personality too intimidating.  I can see her taking him under her wings to teach him more about his job.  I agree with you that she understands his love of the outdoors and the lifestyle of a game warden but (1) she has to be a little softer and (2) if they begin a romance and it doesn't work out, how could they continue to work together.  Between Charley and Ora nurturing Mike, Kathy teaching him about being a game warden, and Sarah and Mike rekindling their romance,  Mike is well on his way.  It was a rude awakening for him once he realized his father was using him.  I think this was a turning point for Mike.

I didn't really want to ramble on like this; just wanted to respond to your posting.

New User
Lissa618
0 Kudos

Kudo's to Paul Doiron!!

This book is one that can't be put down. The author leaves you wanting more. 

I am an avid reader and this was a well written book that kept me on the edge of my seat.  I did not figure out the ending, until, well, almost the end!! And not to boast, but usually I can figure out the who done it and why half way through.  This, as it was intended, was a true mystery to me!!

Excellent writing, loved the plot and the author's style!

Can't wait to read more from this author!!!

Inspired Correspondent
nfam
0 Kudos

Charlie had a special relationship with Mike from the summer Mike stayed with his father. Charlie knew Mike saved his life when they two drunken poachers had the deer in the cabin. I think Charlie respected what Mike did to warn him and felt that he was a kid worth saving. He got his chance when Jack committed murder. I thought it was pretty clear that Charlie believed Jack had done it. However, he knew Mike couldn't accept it and he wanted to help him to the truth. Mike needed a real friend and mentor. That's what Charlie was.

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

I've only read the first page of responses, but I'm going to jump right in. First of all, I was totally shocked by the conclusion--the misdirection on the logging question helped, but what really threw me for a loop was the narrator's utter faith that his father had not committed the crime. I really trusted the narrator. The skillful work, on Paul's part, was to have the narrator be so wrong, but not to alienate the reader (or at least, this reader!) in the revelation. What a great mystery--I'm looking forward to more!

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Lissa618 wrote:

Kudo's to Paul Doiron!!

This book is one that can't be put down. The author leaves you wanting more. 

I am an avid reader and this was a well written book that kept me on the edge of my seat.  I did not figure out the ending, until, well, almost the end!! And not to boast, but usually I can figure out the who done it and why half way through.  This, as it was intended, was a true mystery to me!!

Excellent writing, loved the plot and the author's style!

Thank you, Lissa. That's incredibly gracious.

Can't wait to read more from this author!!!

I think my editor feels the same way.:smileyvery-happy:

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:

I've only read the first page of responses, but I'm going to jump right in. First of all, I was totally shocked by the conclusion--the misdirection on the logging question helped, but what really threw me for a loop was the narrator's utter faith that his father had not committed the crime. I really trusted the narrator. The skillful work, on Paul's part, was to have the narrator be so wrong, but not to alienate the reader (or at least, this reader!) in the revelation. What a great mystery--I'm looking forward to more!

Hi,

I really appreciate your post. It also took utter faith on my part to construct a book this way. I kept saying to myself, "Can I actually pull this off?" I'm relieved to learn that, for many readers at least, I did.

Paul