Reply
Correspondent
mamawli
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎03-13-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

I did not expect to find that my thread would cause some controversy and conversation.  However, the reason I thought that Kathy would be perfect for Mike is because of her dominance.  Mike needs compassion and love, that is true, but he also needs a strong woman to lean on.  He does not always make the best decisions and needs some guidance in this area.

Contributor
Catalina_P
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎08-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

Hello everyone and hello Paul ^_^

Before i get to talking about the book i want to say that i am grateful for the opportunity to read something like this and discuss it with the author. Now im not a mean person but i do want to be brutally honest about this. Maybe im not a mystery kind of person but it took me a while to finish this book. For some reason the first half of the book was kinda boring and slow for me (sorry).

 

I really didnt get into it until Brenda came in and Charley, which was near the end. When it came to the end it was then that i couldnt put it down. I did like most of the characters and i did feel for Mike. And even though Jack's personality wasnt described to the fullest, i felt that the ending was out of his character. Not the killing part, i did feel he was capable of it, but the act of him returning for Brenda. And when she died and he killed himself i thought if Mike only heard the gunshot it might have been part of Jack's plan of running away without being followed (though i would have been pretty mad about that ending lol). Keep in mind though, the more i think about the ending the more it starts to sink in, so there is still a chance that is was successful for me lol.

 

One thing i did like about the book was the humor in it, it did make me laugh at some points. And i absolutely loved Charley's character, i was pretty bummed when i thought he died. I hope this review isnt too brutal, its not my intention. But i do love this opportunity and i admire your work (congratulations)...and i probably wouldnt mind picking up the second book because i would like to follow Mike.

 

Thank you for the reading material ^_^ and good luck in the future

Author
Paul-Doiron
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

 

Catalina_P wrote:

Hello everyone and hello Paul ^_^

Before i get to talking about the book i want to say that i am grateful for the opportunity to read something like this and discuss it with the author. Now im not a mean person but i do want to be brutally honest about this. Maybe im not a mystery kind of person but it took me a while to finish this book. For some reason the first half of the book was kinda boring and slow for me (sorry).

 

I really didnt get into it until Brenda came in and Charley, which was near the end. When it came to the end it was then that i couldnt put it down. I did like most of the characters and i did feel for Mike. And even though Jack's personality wasnt described to the fullest, i felt that the ending was out of his character. Not the killing part, i did feel he was capable of it, but the act of him returning for Brenda. And when she died and he killed himself i thought if Mike only heard the gunshot it might have been part of Jack's plan of running away without being followed (though i would have been pretty mad about that ending lol). Keep in mind though, the more i think about the ending the more it starts to sink in, so there is still a chance that is was successful for me lol.

 

One thing i did like about the book was the humor in it, it did make me laugh at some points. And i absolutely loved Charley's character, i was pretty bummed when i thought he died. I hope this review isnt too brutal, its not my intention. But i do love this opportunity and i admire your work (congratulations)...and i probably wouldnt mind picking up the second book because i would like to follow Mike.

 

Thank you for the reading material ^_^ and good luck in the future

 

 

Hi Catalina,

 

No need to apologize. I can see that you're a nice person who didn't want to hurt my feelings. You liked some parts of the book and you didn't like others. That response to the novel is as legitimate as any other response. Although The Poacher's Son is my first book, I've been writing for publication for a number of years, and I don't have a problem with constructive criticism. It really does come with the job (as does malicious criticism, unfortunately, but that's something you learn to shrug off). It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

 

Maybe you'll like my next book better.:smileywink:

 

Paul

 

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

Paul-Doiron, you are quite a gentleman and a scholar. My husband once had a boss who said, "I am glad you met me" when he met someone who impressed him. Now I understand what he meant. I respect you as an author and a person and hope that all your books are successful. Your humility is so refreshing.

Paul-Doiron wrote:
 

Hi Catalina,

 

No need to apologize. I can see that you're a nice person who didn't want to hurt my feelings. You liked some parts of the book and you didn't like others. That response to the novel is as legitimate as any other response. Although The Poacher's Son is my first book, I've been writing for publication for a number of years, and I don't have a problem with constructive criticism. It really does come with the job (as does malicious criticism, unfortunately, but that's something you learn to shrug off). It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

 

Maybe you'll like my next book better.:smileywink:

 

Paul

 

 

 

Author
Paul-Doiron
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

 

thewanderingjew wrote:

Paul-Doiron, you are quite a gentleman and a scholar. My husband once had a boss who said, "I am glad you met me" when he met someone who impressed him. Now I understand what he meant. I respect you as an author and a person and hope that all your books are successful. Your humility is so refreshing.

Paul-Doiron wrote:
 

Hi Catalina,

 

No need to apologize. I can see that you're a nice person who didn't want to hurt my feelings. You liked some parts of the book and you didn't like others. That response to the novel is as legitimate as any other response. Although The Poacher's Son is my first book, I've been writing for publication for a number of years, and I don't have a problem with constructive criticism. It really does come with the job (as does malicious criticism, unfortunately, but that's something you learn to shrug off). It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

 

Maybe you'll like my next book better.:smileywink:

 

Paul

 

 

 

 

 

Is there any way to humbly thank you for calling me humble?

 

 

Paul

 

 

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

thewanderingjew wrote:

Paul-Doiron, you are quite a gentleman and a scholar. My husband once had a boss who said, "I am glad you met me" when he met someone who impressed him. Now I understand what he meant. I respect you as an author and a person and hope that all your books are successful. Your humility is so refreshing.

Paul-Doiron wrote:
 

Hi Catalina,

 

No need to apologize. I can see that you're a nice person who didn't want to hurt my feelings. You liked some parts of the book and you didn't like others. That response to the novel is as legitimate as any other response. Although The Poacher's Son is my first book, I've been writing for publication for a number of years, and I don't have a problem with constructive criticism. It really does come with the job (as does malicious criticism, unfortunately, but that's something you learn to shrug off). It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

 

Maybe you'll like my next book better.:smileywink:

 

Paul

 

 I agree with twj,.You are.very refreshing,and ..my mind wanders abit into the second book..Who will we meet and yes a year does make a difference.Mike will be 25,and has been through quite a bit..We will see you here on Monday or just peek in on the weekend ,we are always around....Found that "Down East"is on twitter..so I am a follower...Vtc  Susan

  twj  Lovely Sun

 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
merl
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

I did try to stay on track also, but I really got into this book. I love the woods and the outdoors. I think Mike did right by giving DeSalle a check over, he was doing his job. The second time I think he was a little harsh with his attitude.

I think Mike wanted to believe in his father. Doesn't everyone want to think their parents are good. I think Mike thought he Dad did care when he ended up in the hospital with pneumonia and he saw him crying.

I was surprised on the killer in the end was Jack and Brenda's true colors were revealed to Mike. I was glad Charlie survived in the end and I was hoping that Mike would get back with Sarah.

I heard more books were going to be written with Mike so maybe some of the other characters will continue also.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
Posts: 252
Registered: ‎05-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

literature wrote:

 

mamawli wrote:

Thank you for this thread.  I did not want to state anything that might harm someone who did not finish the book.  I am so glad that you are allowing us to post the rest of the book earlier than on schedule because this is an exceptional story.  It was very difficult to keep on task with The Poacher's Son, because every page was so exciting.  When I came to the end of this section I had to stay up late and finish the book.

 

This is the first mystery that I have read where the police were correct about the murderer all along.

 

The characters were extremely interesting.  Brenda was complicated and evoked quite a bit of emotion.  Charlie & Ora were extremely likeable.  Kathy was interesting and I would like to see a romance between Mike and his boss lady.  The reason I think that Kathy would be better for Mike is because she understands his love of the outdoors and the lifestyle of a game warden.

 

All I can say is that The Poacher's son is a treat for all who read.

 

 

Hi Mamawli,

In the beginning I was hoping that Kathy and Mike might get together but then I changed my mind.  I think she is too much of a dominant figure for him.   She has a strong presence and the way she always puts her thumbs/fingers in her belt when she stands and talks makes her a little bit too masculine.  I can even visualize her voice as being somewhat gruff.  In other words, I don't think she is very feminine.  She's very nice, caring, emotional and devoted.  I think being with her would be somewhat detrimental to the building up of his confidence as he might find her strong personality too intimidating.  I can see her taking him under her wings to teach him more about his job.  I agree with you that she understands his love of the outdoors and the lifestyle of a game warden but (1) she has to be a little softer and (2) if they begin a romance and it doesn't work out, how could they continue to work together.  Between Charley and Ora nurturing Mike, Kathy teaching him about being a game warden, and Sarah and Mike rekindling their romance,  Mike is well on his way.  It was a rude awakening for him once he realized his father was using him.  I think this was a turning point for Mike.

 

I didn't really want to ramble on like this; just wanted to respond to your posting.

 

Literature: 

 

I completely agree!

 

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Correspondent
T-Mo
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎08-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

[ Edited ]

I agree, the book was very well written, and really kept you on the edge of your seat wondering who the killer was. I think sometimes mysteries can be sort of typical. The characters and plot change but the general understanding of who did it can be figured out relatively quickly, and sometimes its only the scenery that really changes. When I started reading this book I kept waiting and waiting for it to take on the same pattern that so many writers follow. Fortunately though, that never happened, and what resulted was a wonderful story that drafted a whole new form of mystery. I will say however, I was a little angry at first to discover that Jack was indeed the murderer. I felt a little as if the beginning of the book didn't portray him as capable of committing such acts, but rather that he was a little disconnected from compassion and perhaps very selfish. I did not at all share the sentiments of so many others who thought he was down-right disgraceful from the get-go. I now, obviously, stand corrected. But perhaps he wasn't at all that way until Brenda got under his skin, and he just couldn't stand to lose another women he so deeply loved to another man, which ultimately drove him to his breaking point and his eventual death. 

 

In any event, I loved this book and this story. I wasn't a huge advocate of Mike at the beginning and it took until I realized just who Jack was before I began to empathize with Mike. At this point, however, I believe he has potential. And maybe Charlie and Ora can now serve as the role models Mike so desperately needs. I'm hoping in the future he will be a much nicer, kinder, and more caring man toward Sarah because his treatment of her was utterly despicable. 

 

Like so many others, I am looking forward to finding out what Mike's next adventure will be. 

 

Lissa618 wrote:

Kudo's to Paul Doiron!!

This book is one that can't be put down. The author leaves you wanting more. 

 

I am an avid reader and this was a well written book that kept me on the edge of my seat.  I did not figure out the ending, until, well, almost the end!! And not to boast, but usually I can figure out the who done it and why half way through.  This, as it was intended, was a true mystery to me!!

 

Excellent writing, loved the plot and the author's style!


Can't wait to read more from this author!!!

 

 

New User
mamaw4
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

I finished the book way ahead of schedule, got wraped up in the story & just had to read. the ending was a surprise. There were so many ..oh maybe.. but no. It had a lot of little twists & turns that kept your imagination moving around the little corners.

 

Enjoyed the book !!

Author
Paul-Doiron
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

mamaw4 wrote:

I finished the book way ahead of schedule, got wraped up in the story & just had to read. the ending was a surprise. There were so many ..oh maybe.. but no. It had a lot of little twists & turns that kept your imagination moving around the little corners.

 

Enjoyed the book !!

 

 

Hi Mama,

 

Thank you for the nice note. I'm glad I kept you guessing till the end.

 

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Author
Paul-Doiron
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

 

T-Mo wrote:

I agree, the book was very well written, and really kept you on the edge of your seat wondering who the killer was. I think sometimes mysteries can be sort of typical. The characters and plot change but the general understanding of who did it can be figured out relatively quickly, and sometimes its only the scenery that really changes. When I started reading this book I kept waiting and waiting for it to take on the same pattern that so many writers follow. Fortunately though, that never happened, and what resulted was a wonderful story that drafted a whole new form of mystery. I will say however, I was a little angry at first to discover that Jack was indeed the murderer. I felt a little as if the beginning of the book didn't portray him as capable of committing such acts, but rather that he was a little disconnected from compassion and perhaps very selfish. I did not at all share the sentiments of so many others who thought he was down-right disgraceful from the get-go. I now, obviously, stand corrected. But perhaps he wasn't at all that way until Brenda got under his skin, and he just couldn't stand to lose another women he so deeply loved to another man, which ultimately drove him to his breaking point and his eventual death. 

 

In any event, I loved this book and this story. I wasn't a huge advocate of Mike at the beginning and it took until I realized just who Jack was before I began to empathize with Mike. At this point, however, I believe he has potential. And maybe Charlie and Ora can now serve as the role models Mike so desperately needs. I'm hoping in the future he will be a much nicer, kinder, and more caring man toward Sarah because his treatment of her was utterly despicable. 

 

Like so many others, I am looking forward to finding out what Mike's next adventure will be. 

 

Lissa618 wrote:

Kudo's to Paul Doiron!!

This book is one that can't be put down. The author leaves you wanting more. 

 

I am an avid reader and this was a well written book that kept me on the edge of my seat.  I did not figure out the ending, until, well, almost the end!! And not to boast, but usually I can figure out the who done it and why half way through.  This, as it was intended, was a true mystery to me!!

 

Excellent writing, loved the plot and the author's style!


Can't wait to read more from this author!!!

 

 

 

 

Hi T-Mo,

 

I can't take credit for creating a whole new mystery subgenre, but I very much appreciate your kind words.

 

I spent the day inside working on Mike's next adventure. I'll be finishing it over the next couple of weeks, and then it will go through an editing process that takes longer than most people realize. We first started copy edits on The Poacher's Son last May.

 

In any case, I'll take your suggestions under advisement. You'll be glad to know that Mike grows up a little more and that the characters you like play major roles.

 

Paul

 

 

 

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Frequent Contributor
GrammiT
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎03-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

 

mamaw4 wrote:

I finished the book way ahead of schedule, got wraped up in the story & just had to read. the ending was a surprise. There were so many ..oh maybe.. but no. It had a lot of little twists & turns that kept your imagination moving around the little corners.

 

Enjoyed the book !!

 

I couldn't agree more!  I finished the book several days ago--stayed up late to finish it because I just had to find out what happened.  Kept me guessing to the end.   love these kind of books you just can't put down!!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

I'm sorry I haven't participated in this discussion, but I couldn't bring myself to get into this one.

 

I finally finished the book this week.

The words on the front of the book:  Thrilling debut. Gripping. Compelling.  Riveting. Haunting.  Original.  Remarkable.  First-rate.  I found none of these feelings as I read this story.

 

These words indicate that it is a read that you simply can't stop turning the pages.  I actually felt I couldn't find anything much that reminded me of a mystery, at least a mystery that had all of these elements in it, where I simply couldn't put it down.  It had its good moments of action, at the end...or when looking for the bear...but...

 

I didn't find that these characters meant much to me.  Charley and his wife, yes, until Charley was implicated as a possible suspect..yes, I saw a slight of hand, a way of writing this into the story, by this author....trying to draw you towards another suspect.   But all of the suspects were too under written. Then I lost interest in Charley with how his relationship with his wife was written..Charley seemed a bit overbearing in his telling his wife to basically shut up when she was talking to Mike, removing her, bodily, in her wheel chair.

 

Without going into all of the characters, and how I felt about them, I just wasn't interested in Mike.  He seemed to be someone who hasn't grown up, yet.  And it was too obvious that his father's personality should change the way it did....because of his relationship with Brenda.  You don't suddenly turn into a cold blooded killer.  With Brenda's reputation in that small community, for those amount of years, it becomes pretty well known you can't keep secrets like she was supposed to have done, concerning her relationship with men.  And I wanted to like Jack, for Mike's sake...but I couldn't.

 

You could tell this story was written by a man.  A travelogue of Maine, and the hard word usage in conversation was a contradiction to anything that was remotely soft in style while reading about the countryside.  I wasn't sure if this was a mystery, or a voice for the halting of over population.  The negative in this, for me, over-took the beauty in the scenery. 

 

All in all, it wasn't a bad read, it just didn't appeal to me, or grip me the way I wanted it to. 

I do wish this author well with this debut, and future novels.  And I'm truly sorry I couldn't get my head around this one.

Contributor
fronkster
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-13-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

I can never stay on the chapters I'm supposed to. I have to keep reading to find out the results. I just couldn't put it down! I liked this book a lot. I wasn't really suprised how it ended, but like every one else I was suprised by the reason. The only thing I didn't like was the language. I don't mind language, but I didn't think there needed to be that much. Great book though!

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
Posts: 125
Registered: ‎10-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

I just finished the book yesterday and really enjoyed it. I thought the ending was appropriate and was glad that everything didn't turn out happily ever after (although thanks for saving Charley!) Mike was right in doubting his father's guilt based on the suspected motive. I think Jack and Brenda were such damaged characters who unfortunately fed off of each other with tragic results. I'm looking forward to reading more about Mike in upcoming stories.

Author
Paul-Doiron
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

 

Paul-Doiron wrote:

 

T-Mo wrote:

I agree, the book was very well written, and really kept you on the edge of your seat wondering who the killer was. I think sometimes mysteries can be sort of typical. The characters and plot change but the general understanding of who did it can be figured out relatively quickly, and sometimes its only the scenery that really changes. When I started reading this book I kept waiting and waiting for it to take on the same pattern that so many writers follow. Fortunately though, that never happened, and what resulted was a wonderful story that drafted a whole new form of mystery. I will say however, I was a little angry at first to discover that Jack was indeed the murderer. I felt a little as if the beginning of the book didn't portray him as capable of committing such acts, but rather that he was a little disconnected from compassion and perhaps very selfish. I did not at all share the sentiments of so many others who thought he was down-right disgraceful from the get-go. I now, obviously, stand corrected. But perhaps he wasn't at all that way until Brenda got under his skin, and he just couldn't stand to lose another women he so deeply loved to another man, which ultimately drove him to his breaking point and his eventual death. 

 

In any event, I loved this book and this story. I wasn't a huge advocate of Mike at the beginning and it took until I realized just who Jack was before I began to empathize with Mike. At this point, however, I believe he has potential. And maybe Charlie and Ora can now serve as the role models Mike so desperately needs. I'm hoping in the future he will be a much nicer, kinder, and more caring man toward Sarah because his treatment of her was utterly despicable. 

 

Like so many others, I am looking forward to finding out what Mike's next adventure will be. 

 

Lissa618 wrote:

Kudo's to Paul Doiron!!

This book is one that can't be put down. The author leaves you wanting more. 

 

I am an avid reader and this was a well written book that kept me on the edge of my seat.  I did not figure out the ending, until, well, almost the end!! And not to boast, but usually I can figure out the who done it and why half way through.  This, as it was intended, was a true mystery to me!!

 

Excellent writing, loved the plot and the author's style!


Can't wait to read more from this author!!!

 

 

 

 

Hi T-Mo,

 

I can't take credit for creating a whole new mystery subgenre, but I very much appreciate your kind words.

 

I spent the day inside working on Mike's next adventure. I'll be finishing it over the next couple of weeks, and then it will go through an editing process that takes longer than most people realize. We first started copy edits on The Poacher's Son last May.

 

In any case, I'll take your suggestions under advisement. You'll be glad to know that Mike grows up a little more and that the characters you like play major roles.

 

Paul

 

 

 

 

 

Hi Kathy,

 

No need to apologize. I appreciate the candid feedback and thank you for wish me well. As for me writing like a man, I'm not sure what to say except, "Vive le difference."

 

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Author
Paul-Doiron
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

 

GrammiT wrote:

 

mamaw4 wrote:

I finished the book way ahead of schedule, got wraped up in the story & just had to read. the ending was a surprise. There were so many ..oh maybe.. but no. It had a lot of little twists & turns that kept your imagination moving around the little corners.

 

Enjoyed the book !!

 

I couldn't agree more!  I finished the book several days ago--stayed up late to finish it because I just had to find out what happened.  Kept me guessing to the end.   love these kind of books you just can't put down!!

 

 

 

Hi GrammiT,

 

Thank you for reading my book and for saying these good things about it. I aimed to keep readers up late. Sorry if it caused sleep deprivation.

 

Paul

 

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Author
Paul-Doiron
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

 

ms_linda wrote:

I just finished the book yesterday and really enjoyed it. I thought the ending was appropriate and was glad that everything didn't turn out happily ever after (although thanks for saving Charley!) Mike was right in doubting his father's guilt based on the suspected motive. I think Jack and Brenda were such damaged characters who unfortunately fed off of each other with tragic results. I'm looking forward to reading more about Mike in upcoming stories.

 

 

Hi Ms. Linda,

 

I'm thankful that you enjoyed the book and the ending worked for you. Many of the characters in this book are damaged in one way or the other. Mike is damaged. His mom is damaged to some extent. And of course Jack and Brenda are damaged beyond saving.

 

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Author
Paul-Doiron
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎01-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

 

fronkster wrote:

I can never stay on the chapters I'm supposed to. I have to keep reading to find out the results. I just couldn't put it down! I liked this book a lot. I wasn't really suprised how it ended, but like every one else I was suprised by the reason. The only thing I didn't like was the language. I don't mind language, but I didn't think there needed to be that much. Great book though!

 

Hi Fronkster,

 

I'll try to tone down the language in book two (but I'll need to start with the real-life people I've met with wardens in the woods). :smileyhappy: I'm so glad you enjoyed The Poacher's Son.

 

Paul

 

 

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com