CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Re: Read it all, and I'm not sorry!

[ Edited ]

When I received my copy of this book I just opened it up and started reading. Before I knew it I had read the whole thing. It was so well written. I simply enjoyed it.

I was surprised by the ending. I guess I wanted to believe that Jack would not commit murder even though I found myself disapproving of many of things he did. However, it was a perfect ending and it made sense. Can't get better than that!

I loved the characters and the setting of the Maine wilderness. I am very pleased to know that there are more books coming with Mike as the main character. I really thank Paul Dioron for writing The Poacher's Son and B & N for picking it as a First Look book. This is a book that I will recommend to my friends and family.

CAG
Contributor
kleeGA
0 Kudos

I admit that I read the entire book before the discussions even started.  I've never been a part of one of these and I didn't read any of the other discussions so I wasn't aware that I was only supposed to read a few chapters at a time.  I started reading the book as soon as I got it and finished it in three days.  I loved it and I couldn't put it down. 

Originally, I wanted to finish it before the first week so that I would be able to fully participate in the discussions so I set my own schedule to have it read by then, but once I got started, I couldn't stop and had to drag myself away from it to do "life" things.  I was really glad to see that i'm not the only one who read the entire book.  I'm really looking forward to the next one that Paul Doiron writes.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thanks for joining us on this thread.

My guesses as I was finishing the book were that Charlie was guilty. I was wavering between Charlie wanting to help Mike or he was trying to catch Jack and get him to jail.

My other way out theory was that someone in the police was working to get Jack as the fall guy for the murders.

I like your ending.

pen21

Paul-Doiron wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Needless to say, I'm really interested in following this thread, and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

I'll try not to explain the book since the text is the text; if something isn't in the novel, I can't retroactively add a clarification that should have been woven into the story. Nor will I try to defend the book. Once a novel is published it ceases to belong to the author in a certain sense (that's not an argument for e-piracy!) but it belongs instead to the reader. I'm always embarrassed for writers who send letters to the New York Times because they disagreed with how their book was reviewed. Unless a criticism is factually inaccurate, it's legitimate. You or I might not agree with it, but that's OK. We all have our different tastes.

What I can do is tell you why I made certain choices and what I was hoping to achieve. For the moment, though, I'm just interested in reading your reactions as you finish the novel.

Paul

Correspondent
CJINCA
0 Kudos

Yep, that's me, I could NOT let the end of the book escape me for a whole week longer -- couldn't stop reading last night...

I liked the ending very much and was completely taken by surprise.  I especially liked Charley & Ora, and am looking forward to seeing more of them.

Mike was drawn as a more-or-less likable guy but with some growing up to do (and who doesn't have that at age 24?).  I liked that he wasn't fully formed yet -- it will be fun to watch that happen over the next couple of books (or more!).

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I just finished the book and Dang! I didn't even see it coming. I spent the entire book looking for someone else to be the killer, that I didn't even for once thing it was actually Jack. Brenda being involve doesn't surprise me at all, in fact by the end I was thinking it was her anyhow.

I'm just glad Charley isn't the one. I was getting suspicious of him at first and it worried me because out of all the characters, I liked him the best.

Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn
0 Kudos

Me too, I was so hoping Charlie wouldn't die because I could see him becoming the father Mike really needed. I was so glad when he was alive!! I really enjoyed this book and there is no way I could stay on a schedule to read it. Especially once we got to the end and so much was happening. I still can't believe Jack could do that to his own son. What a slime. 

Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

Well, I guess I am not alone--WHEW!  I received my book and opened it for a taste and finished it the next day.  I have been rather reluctant to post too many opinions because I didn't want to spoil what I believe is a really great mystery story!    I loved the setting and found the characters to be very believable.  You had to feel compassion for Mike and at the same time be aggravated because he was rather hard nosed.  Jack was so thoroughly despicable that I was shocked when I realized that I had been tricked into believing he was innocent.  I was really amazed at the skill used to direct our attention away from Jack and toward others when Jack was the logical choice.  I think we wanted so to believe in his innocence for Mike's sake that we all took the bait hook, line,and sinker.

My husband also wondered what I was reading that had me so enthralled.  As soon as I finished, he read the book.  He also could not put it down and was surprised at the ending.

All in all, I have to say that this is definitely a bestseller in the making!  Thanks for the opportunity to enjoy a finely crafted mystery.

Sandy

Inspired Contributor
JuneC
0 Kudos

Whew, finally this thread! As others had done, I finished the book in the first week . I love a book that flies! 

Aside from Charlie and his wife I didn't really like any of the characters in this story. Which, BTW, doesn't mean it wasn't a good story for me.  It might be the reason to keep reading sometimes. 

It's more than easy to dislike Jack and his camp buddies. And Sarah doesn't strike me as a warm individual even thought I completely understand her reasons for not staying with Mike.  His mother isn't exactly the support Mike could use either. And let's' not even bring up Mr. Step Daddy. 

Mike, as I mentioned in a earlier post, is to me quite immature.  He has a "pie in the sky" idea that his miserable excuse for a father is worth caring about and fighting for.  How sad.  Oh boy this guy could use therapy!

As others have stated wouldn't it be a relief for Mike if the caring individuals, Charlie and wife, become more of a part of his life?  He sure could use that.

And what about DeSalle?  Was he just a decoy to throw us off Jack's trail? 

Paul....????

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

I liked the way this story ended, even though I wasn't sure until I read it, that Jack was guilty.  But as to the reasons for the murders, I would never have guessed.  I liked that most of the loose ends were tied up, but not completely.  There will be more stories and much more to learn about Mike.  He's so young; it will be interesting to see him mature and grow as time goes on. 

I'm glad, even though this is a book and series about the poacher's son, it really wasn't too graphic as to the poaching and trapping portions of the story.  I realize some of that has to be in there, and I just skipped those parts.

I think the thing that surprised me the most (and this because I found nothing at all attractive about Jack; quite the contrary, I thot he was dirty and sleazy), was the fact that 15 years later, Mike's mom thought. . . actually hoped. . . . she would be the one that Jack came back for.  Huh????   I don't get that.  I finished the book some time ago, and I'm still scratching my head over that. 

Thank you so much for sharing your book with us.  Once again, it's been my great pleasure to be part of this first look selection, and I'm very grateful to have been included. 

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

JuneC wrote:

Whew, finally this thread! As others had done, I finished the book in the first week . I love a book that flies! 

Aside from Charlie and his wife I didn't really like any of the characters in this story. Which, BTW, doesn't mean it wasn't a good story for me.  It might be the reason to keep reading sometimes. 

It's more than easy to dislike Jack and his camp buddies. And Sarah doesn't strike me as a warm individual even thought I completely understand her reasons for not staying with Mike.  His mother isn't exactly the support Mike could use either. And let's' not even bring up Mr. Step Daddy. 

Mike, as I mentioned in a earlier post, is to me quite immature.  He has a "pie in the sky" idea that his miserable excuse for a father is worth caring about and fighting for.  How sad.  Oh boy this guy could use therapy!

As others have stated wouldn't it be a relief for Mike if the caring individuals, Charlie and wife, become more of a part of his life?  He sure could use that.

And what about DeSalle?  Was he just a decoy to throw us off Jack's trail? 

Paul....????

Hi June,

You'll be seeing more of Charley and Ora. Don't worry. In answer to your question about DeSalle, it's interesting to me that readers have connected his encounters with Mike to the crimes in the woods. I have to admit I never thought about that. So those chapters weren't meant to misdirect you so much as see Mike's empathy for the bullied son and his sublimated anger at his father.

Thank you for reading my book. :smileyhappy:

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

ssizemore wrote:

Well, I guess I am not alone--WHEW!  I received my book and opened it for a taste and finished it the next day.  I have been rather reluctant to post too many opinions because I didn't want to spoil what I believe is a really great mystery story!    I loved the setting and found the characters to be very believable.  You had to feel compassion for Mike and at the same time be aggravated because he was rather hard nosed.  Jack was so thoroughly despicable that I was shocked when I realized that I had been tricked into believing he was innocent.  I was really amazed at the skill used to direct our attention away from Jack and toward others when Jack was the logical choice.  I think we wanted so to believe in his innocence for Mike's sake that we all took the bait hook, line,and sinker.

My husband also wondered what I was reading that had me so enthralled.  As soon as I finished, he read the book.  He also could not put it down and was surprised at the ending.

All in all, I have to say that this is definitely a bestseller in the making!  Thanks for the opportunity to enjoy a finely crafted mystery.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I'm so glad (and your husband) liked the book. A bestseller in the making is a great hope. Cross your fingers for me.

Paul

Author of THE POACHER'S SON (Minotaur Books, On Sale: May 11, 2010). www.pauldoiron.com
Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
0 Kudos

Socialreader,

It wasn't that Mike's mom thought he'd come back for her she thought that she was the love of his life that he would kill himself over not someone else.At least thats how I read it.

Someone else mentioned DeSalle I wonder if he is a tourist that comes back every year and if there may be more of him in the future?I hope if he is in future books Mike handles himself better!

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

I did finish it yesterday.I was so taken back by the turn of events,99% of it, I did not see it coming at all.The one percent was Brenda..Because she was a loose cannon..So I did expect the worse from her.Charley living on with Ora,Mike and Sarah or another Relatinship would be great.Leaving this all up to Paul..He know best..We are here to Support him..This will be short for now,but will post all week..Just a great mystery..Emailed my Library to order it.Once ordered,especially here,sales are generated..it also seems that Paul Doiron and "Down East magazine are not stranger's to our town...not surprised..My Library has copies,and is sold here as well...What a Great Pick for us.....Susan VtCozy..

Thanks again, Susan. Your encouragement has meant a lot to me.

Paul

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

I was about half way through the book and I was convinced that Jack was being framed by the whole town, police force and all.  After all, Jack could be a self-sufficient man, kill for food and live off poaching.  He was a loner and could disappear for days into the woods.  So why would he care if the land was bought out from under everyone and developed. 

Then on page 230 Mike thinks "Maybe the whole damn town was in on Shipman's murder.  I could almost picture the scenario:  All of Dear River was involved in a conspiracy to drive off Wendigo Timber with Brodeur somehow getting shot in the crossfire.  I laughed to myself at how fast the booze had gone to my imagination."

Contributor
Sally_K
0 Kudos

I am not ashamed that I read the book before discussions began.  It allowed me to process the book and make my own initial interpretations about the book.  The fact the main suspect was actually the killer is brilliant.  You do not see this in mysteries very often and I enjoyed how Mr. Doiron described Jack's motive.  It is my interpretation that Jack truly loved BJ and his actions were because of this.  Throughout the book, Jack was made out to be heartless, in the end, we find that this was not the case.   

Aside from DeSalle, I find the the relationships between the characters were well written and intertwined.  Throughout the book, I was constantly trying to figure out what role DeSalle played in the story and it is my conclusion he was a means to describe Mike's personality.

I enjoyed how the end of this story was written.  It wrapped up things tidy, yet I can see how a sequel can follow. So often, I find myself disliking how an author concludes his story or I find the ending to be so predictable.  In regards to The Poacher's Son, you cannot help liking the characters introduced as well as the author's writing style.

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

BookWoman718 wrote:

I was one of those who read the whole book through just before the discussions started.  I found the ending very satisfying in that I had been nicely misdirected by all the talk of the logging company issues, just as many of the characters in the book were.  I had held out hope (for Mike's sake) that his dad was innocent because I found his description of his dad as "not political" pretty convincing.  To me, it was very true to life (as someone mentioned above) that the killing turned out to be personally motivated after all.  And that it happened because of a series of violent acts, betrayals, and lies, committed by a bunch of lowlife, pretty despicable characters, who were all too ready to go right on killing. 

I might like the ending less if this were a stand-alone story, because it leaves the reader hurting for Mike, and hoping he can overcome another massive betrayal and blow to his self-confidence.

(He's a supposedly trained lawman who now sees that he's misjudged just about everybody.)  I'm comforted knowing that we'll see more of him, and see how he comes out of this.  Without the promise of another book, I think I'd have wanted one of those epilogue chapters that show Mike a year or two down the line, still a Warden, maybe having a drink with his boss, discussing a case in way that shows what Mike thinks he learned, and leaving to go meet 'his girl.' (unnamed) I'm now invested in this kid;  I really want to know he's going to be allright. 

Paul, very nicely done!

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm glad I'm not the only one invested in Mike! You're right that if this were a stand alone book, it would be pretty rough to end the story in the hospital. But I have other stories to tell about Mike, Charley, Ora, Kathy, and the others, and I hope I have the chance to keep telling them.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

CAG wrote:

When I received my copy of this book I just opened it up and started reading. Before I knew it I had read the whole thing. It was so well written. I simply enjoyed it.

I was surprised by the ending. I guess I wanted to believe that Jack would not commit murder even though I found myself disapproving of many of things he did. However, it was a perfect ending and it made sense. Can't get better than that!

I loved the characters and the setting of the Maine wilderness. I am very pleased to know that there are more books coming with Mike as the main character. I really thank Paul Dioron for writing The Poacher's Son and B & N for picking it as a First Look book. This is a book that I will recommend to my friends and family.

What a great note. You had exactly the reaction I'd hoped readers would have to The Poacher's Son. I really appreciate the thought that you'll be recommending my novel. 

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

kleeGA wrote:

I admit that I read the entire book before the discussions even started.  I've never been a part of one of these and I didn't read any of the other discussions so I wasn't aware that I was only supposed to read a few chapters at a time.  I started reading the book as soon as I got it and finished it in three days.  I loved it and I couldn't put it down. 

Originally, I wanted to finish it before the first week so that I would be able to fully participate in the discussions so I set my own schedule to have it read by then, but once I got started, I couldn't stop and had to drag myself away from it to do "life" things.  I was really glad to see that i'm not the only one who read the entire book.  I'm really looking forward to the next one that Paul Doiron writes.

I know what you mean about needing to drag myself away from reading to do "life" things. The same thing happens when I write, which is primarily on weekends. I always look forward to getting back to see what Mike Bowditch is doing next. I'm glad you did too. Thank you.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

socalreader wrote:

I liked the way this story ended, even though I wasn't sure until I read it, that Jack was guilty.  But as to the reasons for the murders, I would never have guessed.  I liked that most of the loose ends were tied up, but not completely.  There will be more stories and much more to learn about Mike.  He's so young; it will be interesting to see him mature and grow as time goes on. 

I'm glad, even though this is a book and series about the poacher's son, it really wasn't too graphic as to the poaching and trapping portions of the story.  I realize some of that has to be in there, and I just skipped those parts.

I think the thing that surprised me the most (and this because I found nothing at all attractive about Jack; quite the contrary, I thot he was dirty and sleazy), was the fact that 15 years later, Mike's mom thought. . . actually hoped. . . . she would be the one that Jack came back for.  Huh????   I don't get that.  I finished the book some time ago, and I'm still scratching my head over that. 

Thank you so much for sharing your book with us.  Once again, it's been my great pleasure to be part of this first look selection, and I'm very grateful to have been included. 

And thank you for sharing your time with me. I know we all have many distractions in our lives, so it means a lot to have readers stick with my story until the end.

In the next book you'll learn a bit more about Mike's mom (although she's not the main focus). I can't guarantee it will answer your question about why she continued to feel an attachment to Jack after all those years, but it does delve into the contrast between her first husband and her second.

Paul

Author
Paul-Doiron
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

momoftwinsMM wrote:

It took awhile to process and I was very disappointed for Mike that Jack did not end up being the man he thought he was.

At the same time, the outcome was surprising (I don't know if we can call it a twist, because it was he was the main suspect the entire time), which I always like. I am disappointed when outcomes are easily discovered.

I was also very disappointed that the reason for the murder was the because of Brenda's supposed "rape." Although it is a viable reason, I wanted it to be politically motivated for some reason.

I still enjoyed the book overall. The writing was impeccable and I was drawn to the plot and the characters. I will recommend it! 

It took awhile to process and I was very disappointed for Mike that Jack did not end up being the man he thought he was.

One of the thoughts that crossed my mind was that a next title could be: The Killer's Son.  What a heavy burden for Mike to shoulder and under which to create a life for himself!  This set-up from his initial novel should test Dorion's considerable skills at characterization.

I was also very disappointed that the reason for the murder was the because of Brenda's supposed "rape." Although it is a viable reason, I wanted it to be politically motivated for some reason.

It was surprising to me that the reasons were so closely personal and primatively possessive within almost a familial tribe or clan.  (Yet, that is often true of murder crimes.) I did expect larger societal conflicts as well, ala the overtaking lumber conglomerate.  (To compare again, as I have often, with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which so powerfully mixes personal, family and societal dysfunction.) My deepest mystery at the end of this read was still the character of Jack himself -- his continuing connection to his alienated ex-wife, his alternating grasping and pushing away of Mike, his predatory protectiveness of Brenda.  If we are going to understand Mike in the upcoming books, I still think we will need to know more about the character of his father.

I still enjoyed the book overall. The writing was impeccable and I was drawn to the plot and the characters. I will recommend it!

Agreed!

Pepper

Thank you, Pepper.The second book is a test, but hopefully I'll pass. It will take some time for Mike to make sense of what he's been through, and more than anyone he's going to be asking himself who is father really was. That question of how well we can ever know another human being is one that fascinates me.

Paul