New User
coral104
0 Kudos

Re: The Poacher's Son, Early Chapters: 1-7

What is Mike Bowditch like? What about his father?

Mike seemed to me like a person who wonders through his life, pondering the effects of his choices has on his life. Were they good or bad choices..all and all..it seemed that mike was disgusted by some of the choices he made and regrets making them. He turns his attention to something that doesn't remind him of his past. Only when he goes home does the past confront him.

His father seems very aloof. He believes in conspiracies, and what the government has done in the past only seems to fuel his fire...maybe he feels the injustice of what is happening in the small town and figures he is the only one brave enough to take matters into his own hands.

What are the romantic relationships like that have been described this far into the novel? What was Mike's relationship with Sarah like?

This relationship seemed like Sarah wanted more, the marriage life, children, a house, a retirement fund, the family vacations, the whole thing. But it scared mike, so he made the decision that maybe was not good enough for her and it was easier for him to disappear into the wilderness rather than face an actual relationship.

How do Mike's attitudes so far seem similar to and different from the people around him?

His attitudes make him indifferent, that having any type of human interaction was a terrible thing.

What are your early expectations for the story? What has shaped your sense of what to expect?

I am hoping the story will get better, there are two many avenues that are going on and the connections between the characters are vague. THe story about the POW...where does he come in to play? He was mentioned once...it leaves me to wonder how all the backstory fits into what is happening now.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

[ Edited ]

coral104 wrote:

edited by twj...

His father seems very aloof. He believes in conspiracies, and what the government has done in the past only seems to fuel his fire...maybe he feels the injustice of what is happening in the small town and figures he is the only one brave enough to take matters into his own hands.

I agree with your assessment and I also feel that his father's behavior, which is bizarre and irresponsible, is a direct result of his experience in Viet Nam. The war and the country's reaction to the veterans, colored their lives so negatively that some never fully recovered. I have a dear friend who could never pull himself together afterwards and could really only do seasonal type work although he was capable of full time employment. He just needed a lot of space and I think Mike's dad did too, as exhibited in his choice of where to live and how to live. Drugs were a big part of the lives of the soldiers because the horror of that war was too much to live through without some sort of intervention, like drugs or alcohol. Maybe society, in some way, bears some responsibility for the way Mike's father behaved. They sent him out to do a heinous job, withdrew their support and shamed him on his return.

Frequent Contributor
ethel55
0 Kudos

By becoming a warden (instead of a lawyer),  Mike has really chosen an isolating type of job. His father, at least by these early accounts, became similarly isolated after Vietnam. Neither  has a very good track record with women.

Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

I starting reading this and before I knew it I had finished chapter 7!  Here are my thoughts.

POW story:  I read with interest all of the other posts regarding the prologue and how it related to the story.  After reading the early chapters, Mike's remembering the story of the POW made me think that perhaps Mike thought that, like the POW, it was possible for someone like his father to disappear into the Maine woods and never be heard from again. 

Mike's relationship with his father:  Although they have not spoken for 2 years, I feel that it is more because Jack lives in the middle of nowhere without a phone and if contacting him were a little easier, Mike would have done it.

Jack:  I don't think that Jack is a bad person.  I do feel that he believes in the laws of nature but just doesn't like the rules of law and society being applied to the natural world that he chooses to live in.

I am really enjoying this book so far.     

Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Some of us have been discussing Mike and DeSalle, and I have to admit that it kind of bothered me at first the way Mike seemed to be bating the guy. So after I read a few things about how some of you felt I re-read it.

My final thoughts about it are that at first Mike wasn't going to be petty with the guy, but after DeSalle started being a jerk and especially how he acted in front of his son Mike took action. I agree with those of you who said that Mike saw himself in the boy. But it still disturbed me especially because now I'm afraid what consequences the boy will have to pay because of the father's actions and reactions to Mike.

It also showed me that Mike is young and takes things more to heart and lets things effect him more than someone older and more mature would.

I was also disturbed by what would happen to the boy and, given that Mike has a similarly volatile father, he should have known that!!!

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'm up to chapter 19 now. Debated reading more but decided to take it slow. Lots happening!!

I am on Chapter 20  I think I will write notes on second section this week end and not read more until next week.  The book goes pretty fast. 

MG

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Patti, it's good to see you here too. I'm glad you're liking the book. I'm reading on schedule so I'll be going past chapter 7 this weekend.

It is my goal to stay on schedule this time too. for the last one I stayed on for the first two weeks and then couldn't resist reading the rest of the book.  It is hard to wait until the last minute though and then if something happens and I don't get to it I end up behind.  I still kind of wish there were a thread for each area now and we could just go through to the one that is where we currently are in the story.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
T-Mo
0 Kudos

no4daughter, 

I like and agree with a couple of your points, especially your correlation between the POW story and Mike's thought about his father disappearing into the woods. I had not made that connection, but I can see how that might be possible. I also agree that Jack is not a bad person. I'm not sure why so many people dislike him. He is a hard man for sure, but he has also endured a lot with his Vietnam experiences which nobody who has not experienced the same can relate to. That alone puts him another realm with a limited populace. I think he deserves a break from being judged, and actually I think he's a sympathetic character. I'm very intrigued as to what happens next and how things unfold. Can't wait to get busy reading again! 

no4daughter wrote:

I starting reading this and before I knew it I had finished chapter 7!  Here are my thoughts.

POW story:  I read with interest all of the other posts regarding the prologue and how it related to the story.  After reading the early chapters, Mike's remembering the story of the POW made me think that perhaps Mike thought that, like the POW, it was possible for someone like his father to disappear into the Maine woods and never be heard from again. 

Mike's relationship with his father:  Although they have not spoken for 2 years, I feel that it is more because Jack lives in the middle of nowhere without a phone and if contacting him were a little easier, Mike would have done it.

Jack:  I don't think that Jack is a bad person.  I do feel that he believes in the laws of nature but just doesn't like the rules of law and society being applied to the natural world that he chooses to live in.

I am really enjoying this book so far.     

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

That seemed out of character to me. Maybe an indication that Mike is not as together and over the past as he appears.

babzilla41 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why Mike was pushing DeSalle so hard.  Although it is his job to make sure boat registrations are up to date and life preservers are on board etc, he also knew that he was antagonizing DeSalle to the point where he was taking his anger out on his little boy.  Mike knew the kid was in for it beacuse he was throwing his authority around.  If he saw himself in the little boy, it doesn't make sense that he would put him in that position.  He knew that DeSalle was hard on the kid because when he fell from the boat he told him "Don't you cry. Don't you cry."  By the end of that passage, I disliked both DeSalle and Mike.

Frequent Contributor
mrsareads
0 Kudos

What is Mike Bowditch like? What about his father? Mike, in some ways, is much like his father: a loner who prefers to be outdoors. Mike is not as combative as his father and is less likely to disregard the law.

What are the romantic relationships like that have been described this far into the novel? What was Mike's relationship with Sarah like? Romance, so far, is lacking in the novel. Marriage is not portrayed as something anyone would want to enter into. But both men failing in relationships fits their loner attitude.

How do Mike's attitudes so far seem similar to and different from the people around him? Mike has a love of the outdoors and respect of nature that many in the area seem to have to some extent or another. His attitude toward his father confuses me at this point because I am not sure how/why he seems to look up to/repsect his father as much as he does.

What are your early expectations for the story? What has shaped your sense of what to expect?

I was not sure I would like this type of mystery. It does not seem to fit the mold of what I usually read in this genre. But I am enjoying getting to know the characters. My husband loved and couldn't put it down. He finished it in two days!

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I had some thoughts about the bear while I was cooking bacon for dinner tonight and picturing that woman with her window and door open next to the woods while she was making her bacon.  I think a lot of people don't stop to think about nature and how animals and plants were there first before the houses and developments.  We as humans think of the land as ours, but animal territories work differently and they are able to coexist better than we are in some ways.  How could someone buy a house next to woods and not think about the animals that might live there?  In ETOW and other books about camping they always talk about putting food away securely and in trees to keep it away from bears and other animals, you would think that would hold true for homes close to the area as well.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
looptyloo
0 Kudos

What is Mike Bowditch like? What about his father?

Mike seems to be a person that wants to be alone. He cherishes the opportunity to be alone on the trails. He decided not to go to law school, and to be a warden, because it was something he liked. He seems like he probably spent quite a bit of time outdoors with his dad when he was younger. This was probably the easy way out for him.

Jack seems to be the typical rambler. He never settles for long. He believes in conspiracy theories,and the like. He probably was not a very loving or attentive father. He certainly is not in Mike's adult life.

What are the romantic relationships like that have been described this far into the novel? What was Mike's relationship with Sarah like?

While Mike proabaly loved Sarah, he was not willing to. He gave up everything she wanted for himself. He didn't go to law school, when that is what she expected. Sarah wanted the whole thing. She wanted a lawyer husband, a nice house and car. Mike wanted to be comfortable, and have a job that offered some form of familiarity. But now Mike misses the familiarity of Sarah as evidenced by the count of the days she has been gone.

How do Mike's attitudes so far seem similar to and different from the people around him?

Mike seems more indifferent than the rest of tghe people we have been introduced to. He ssms to float along on top of their opinions. He lives in town, but doesn't really seem to be a part of the town.

I have none yet. There are alot of threads right now, and I am wating a few more chapters to start seeing the braid come together.

Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

I notice many entries alluding to Mike and Sarah being married.  I can't seem to find reference to the fact they were married.  Can anyone direct me to this passage?

Many also seem to think Sarah will play a part later in the book.  I never thought that while reading.  I thought she was just a minor character used to help define Mike's character.  It will be interesting to see if she pops up again.

SandyS

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Good morning everyone.

First I have to say that it was very hard to stop reading after chapter 7, but I was firm with myself.

I liked the character of Mike, but I sometimes feel in these first chapters that he doesn't like himself too much. I know he's young and that he has a strained relationship with his father and we haven't learned too much about his relationship with his mom and step-dad. But we do know that he has already failed at marriage.

His dad is a complicated character and one that I already have a hard time liking. He rubs me the wrong way, right away. And it looks like he does that to most people who know him too.

The romantic relationships that have been described in the novel so far are disatorous, his dad and mom and he and sarah. Although the ending of those relationships are for very different reasons.

My first thought after finishing these early chapters are who was the escaped POW and does he have any connection to this story.

Debbie,

With this new format, I haven't figured out how to post outside of your quote.  Oh well,  I agree so much with your description of Mike.  I also get a sense of him as not being happy with who he is.  He appears to have this love-hate relationship with his father.  I also am having a difficult time liking the father. 

Kathy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

SandyS wrote:

I notice many entries alluding to Mike and Sarah being married.  I can't seem to find reference to the fact they were married.  Can anyone direct me to this passage?

Many also seem to think Sarah will play a part later in the book.  I never thought that while reading.  I thought she was just a minor character used to help define Mike's character.  It will be interesting to see if she pops up again.

SandyS

I'm glad someone brought this up. I thought I'd missed something. I don't recall anything that specifically mentioned "divorce;" I assumed they'd just been living together.

Contributor
tdunham220

First off, I am loving this book. It is something I probably never would have picked up on my own, but I am really enjoying the whole game warden angle.It's causing me think about a lifestyle I've never been exposed to. As for Mike, I think he has some real self esteem issues. What is it about guys and their fathers? No matter how bad sons are treated by their fathers, they still crave their respect and attention. I'm sure there were alot of reasons his father turned out like he did, but either that isn't covered in the book or I haven't arrived there.

Does anyone else get the feeling that at times Mike encourages conflict? I felt that way when he went to Sarah's rescue in the bar. It seemed like she could handle the situation herself, but because his Dad goaded him, he went over and interfered,and things escalated. I guess I just feel he lives kind of recklessly and doesn't consider all the consequences of his actions. Both in his interactions with other people and even in his interactions with the bear. I like the character Mike, but I find he is frustrating me a bit!

Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

I was wondering that too.  I though Sarah was Mike's girlfriend. 

SandyS wrote:

SandyS

Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

Re: The Poacher's Son, Early Chapters: 1-7 (My thoughts)

i think mike is definitely embarassed by his dad. i mean doiron doesnt   really have mike come out and say he is. but in chapter 6 you get a strong impression that he is.when he says to kathy wouldnt you try to help your dad. but the her dad was a minster etc. etc. and mikes dad is mean a drunk. i mean she wouldnt have to worry about her dad being drunk or accused of murder. BECAUSE HES A MAN OF GOD HA HA HES PERFECT.:smileytongue::smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

i think the bear section is funny:smileyhappy: especially when the woman says quick get in here the bear will come in and mike says i dont think it will come in the house. and she says ha thats what you think.:smileytongue::smileywink:

Reader
sundoll814
0 Kudos

Mike seems very likable and laid back, someone you would want to hang out with, although he seems to prefer being alone.  I wouldn't consider him lonely, more of a loner.  Jack is unable to commit to his wife, or his marriage, or his family, and is very self-centered.  He does what makes him happy at the expense of others.

Mike and Sarah "fell in love" at a young age, and I think married too young.  Neither knew the other well enough to make a lifelong commitment, and it seems like their futures are diverging.  Of course, we only have Mike's interpretation of what has happened. 

Mike seems more in tune with nature and his surroundings than some of the other people around him.  He's protective of children, and wants to do his job well and is committed to his job.  I think I expected less character development based on the short synopsis, and assumed the pace would be different.  Once Mike hears the message, the author takes us through the day with Mike as he does his patrols, making the message seem less important is some ways.  Yet this phone message is the key to finding out more information about Jack.