Contributor
Temolly

Re: The Poacher's Son, Early Chapters: 1-7

I was quite impressed with Mike Bowditch.  He was a guy who knew what he wanted from a very early age.  He wanted to protect the environment.  He respected nature and wildlife.  He did not like how his father treated the animals and disregarded the law.  His dad was his impetus for choosing his career as game warden. 

I thought he seemed to have a somewhat loving relationship with Sarah. It is obvious he still loves her and vice-versa so out of love, they'd given each other up so they can pursue their true path of happiness without hindering each other.  Very selfless.

I do feel that what he shares in common with his people is their love for their town and for the surrounding wilderness.  They live by the wild and want to preserve this closeness with nature that the Wendigo developers wish to destroy.  What they distinctly differ in is their view of his father, Jack.  They've already made up his mind that his father was guilty while he was definitely wanting to his father the benefit of the doubt.

My early expectations are that this story will speed up to the climax.  It seems slow in the beginning, sleepy like the town.  I expect that his father is indeed innocent and that Mike will prove everybody wrong.  I am hoping along with Mike for his father's innocence because I want to empathize for Mike who has always wanted to reach out to his father even as a boy.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Mike seems to be very loney and alone and deep down a little afraid. He is emotionally withdrawn and I think it is because either he does not know how to show his true feelings or doesn't understand his true feelings.   

Mike's mom ran off and left his dad because of his drinking & womanizing.  Mike's relationships have always been foreshawoded by this and affected his relationships perhaps because he was afraid he would become his father that he set himself up for failure.  

Frequent Contributor
jbg78
0 Kudos

What is Mike like?

I thought Mike had some emotional issues when dealing with people.  It tends to keep appearing throughout the book.  He seems to be keeping his distant from others.  He is protecting himself.  It is almost a hurt or be hurt mentality.  From want we have learned, about Mike, it all stems from his relationship with his Dad.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb~
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

My first impression of Mike's dad was not a good one. He is a lonely person who drinks a lot and gets into fights. Not many people like him. When he was accused of the murder, there was not surprise from anyone that he would do that kind of thing. He, to me, is irritating but needs Mike's help. Mike wants to but is impeded by the law and told to stay away from the case as it is personal to him.

There is no mention in the first 7 chapters that Mike and Sarah were married. They lived in a rented trailer which she hated but that was all they could afford.

The bear shows the ruggedness of Maine. Actually, bears are everywhere. We have them in NC. Bears do get aggressive if they smell food and will tend to try to come into your house for food. They are also aggressive when you hike in an area that is bear- ridden. One just expects a bear to be close to humanity as we are encroaching on their land. Everyday, the growth of condos and houses puts the bear at odds with humans.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

I don't know why but I am having a hard time relating to this book, everyone who posts says they can't stop after chapter 7--I wonder if it will pick up.  I believe the main reason is I don't have any thing in common with the main character or his father,  Just wondered if anyone else is bumbling along.

New User
mrsnoname
0 Kudos

It does pick up but mostly it's a story.  There's no romance, adventure, and it's not suspenseful but it's still a pretty good story. 

Frequent Contributor
mooks
0 Kudos

Mike appears withdrawn and lonely and probably it stems from his family experiences.  I think what has happened with his folks affects his relationship with Sarah (and with the way he interacts with others).  I expect the pace to be frenetic after the first few chapters. It is was difficult to stop at 7!

Contributor
AnnahE
0 Kudos

I like Mike...although he doesn't seem to like himself very much.  He feels conflicted.  He feels guilty because he didn't please his father, and he feels guilty because he wants to love his job.  He feels like he can't truly embrace his job because every time he tries to do this, the guilt of his father's displeasure and the loss of Sarah surfaces. Poor guy!

Inspired Contributor
melisndav
0 Kudos

What is Mike Bowditch like? Mike Bowditch appears to be a person that wants to be alone and just do his job as a warden.  What about his father?  His father appears to be a drunk that does not care much for his family and only cares about himself and getting women.

What are the romantic relationships like that have been described this far into the novel?   Mike's father is a player and goes from woman to woman.  What was Mike's relationship with Sarah like?  Sarah & Mike's relationship seem to be estranged.

How do Mike's attitudes so far seem similar to and different from the people around him?  Mike seems to be standoffish in my opinion in these first chapters.

What are your early expectations for the story? Not much at this point.  What has shaped your sense of what to expect?  I believe that there is too much focus on the bear in this story and not enough on the murder.

Frequent Contributor
momoftwinsMM
0 Kudos

I agree with all the above claims. I think Mike was deeply shaped by his relationship with his father. It doesn't appear that they were close, but it made Mike want to be close to him. I know that this is not explicitly stated; however, his lifestyle choices (relationships and work) show that he was looking for a way to somehow "bond" or begin a real relationship with his father.

Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

What is Mike Bowditch like? Mike Bowditch seems to me like most men who grow up not having a strong relationship with their fathers. He so far has seemed to handle it well, but it could change throughout the story.

What about his father? Mike's father seems to be very unstable about the fact that his wife and son left him years ago. But doesn't know how to make things right with his son about the past and that he still has feelings for his ex-wife who is now re-married. He appears to have anger issues and issues with people in general.

What are the romantic relationships like that have been described this far into the novel? So far they all seem to be very unstable and like most romantic relationships in the 'real' world today.

What was Mike's relationship with Sarah like? Mike's relationship with Sarah was a little awkward. In my opinion, she was just after the money, and when he didn't really have any, she left. She seems to be very materialistic so far.

How do Mike's attitudes so far seem similar to and different from the people around him? His attitutude seems to be different from the people around him. He's very calm, but not at the same time. He seems to really just be trying to impress his father who couldn't care less.

What are your early expectations for the story? My early expectations are for this book are to be a page turner til the very last page, then still wanting a sequel to it.

~Lexi-Bear
New User
hazan21
0 Kudos

Mike is a guy who likes his space, but is also  lonely.He is trying to break away from some of  his dad´s ways and make up for him and at the same time is trying to get his dad´s acknowledgement. Even with all the history he has with his dad, the same one that caused his parents to divorce, he cares for him and is infuriated by the way Jack was treated.

Mike loves Sarah enough to keep count of the days since she left, and misses her. But still ; he never answered his dad “If he would die for her?”  This also talks about the kind of love his father could of  had for his mother.

He compares himself to the owner of the pig snatched by the bear, alone in his home without a wife. He also talks about Sarah´s wealthy Connecticut family in comparison to him and his game warden salary. And finally, he compares his family with the family of his boss Kathy, which he describes as a well established one.

Having the previous background of Jack´s antics, it would  appear as if this was one more of his run ins with authority; but at the same time I don´t think this is going to be a slap on the wrist as usual. Even though Kathy says the problem was flaring tempers, Mr.. Pelletier does mention that the police went there looking expressly for Jack.

Contributor
pattycakeMN
0 Kudos

I feel that Mike Bowditch has a deep desire to be a game warden to be in the Maine woods where his father is.  Even though he dislikes much about his father's behavior, he has a deep love for him.  I was married to a man much like Jack Bowditch, who trapped and poached deer in Minnesota.  Mike says "every woman I knew seemed to find him dashingly handsome" - it is the bad boy image that some women find fascinating.  Sarah says of Jack:  "he's got that beautiful wild man quality".  Perhaps Mike has a desire to be like his father, but on the "right" side of the law.  He is even willing to give up going to law school to remain a game warden.

I think both Mike and Jack love their wives, but do not want to give up their life styles, but rather be true to themselves.  Jack has kept in contact with Marie, and Mike cannot completely let go of Sarah.

My expectations are that Mike will get to the bottom of who killed the two men, and it will only deepen the love that Mike has for Jack.  Jack probably will never change.

I really love reading the book.  I love the descriptions of the Maine woods !!

Contributor
DSlaughter
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

What is Mike Bowditch like? What about his father?

I think Mike is a good guy with major father issues.  I think he is the kind of guy to follow his heart even if others don't always agree with his choices.  Mike's dad I dislike but also feel sorry for.  He was damaged by a war and that is always sad.

What are the romantic relationships like that have been described this far into the novel? What was Mike's relationship with Sarah like?

I get the feeling that Sarah was not the kind of woman for Mike.  She was more worried about status than Mike was.  I don't think she was necessarily a bad women at this point of the book but not compatible with him.

What are your early expectations for the story? What has shaped your sense of what to expect?

I expect Mike to help his father out.  I think Mike believes his father is innocent of murder and he is going to try and prove it. 

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

Mike's an outdoorsy kind of guy who has a sketchy relationship with his father. He wants him to be proud of him, but at the same time, he became a game warden -- not what you'd expect for the son of a poacher with a criminal record.

Sarah wanted Mike to be someone he's not. You can live like that for only so long.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Mike thinks as his father as having the persona of a Tasmanian Devil.

What does that mean?   (I haven't gone looking for what are the key or relevant characteristics of a Tasmanian Devil.)

Pepper

literature wrote:

What is Mike Bowditch like? What about his father?

Mike's life for his first 9 years was very disturbing and unsettling.  His father drank too much, was a womanizer and disappeared for  periods of time.  When he was home, he fought with his wife, Mike's mother, and didn't pay much attention to Mike.  Viet Nam had changed him.  Prior to being in the war he was a gifted student.  In spite of all his shortfalls, Mike still viewed his father as the strongest and bravest man.  Even through his tirades, his father still wanted Mike to see his side of things.  His father held a job long enough to convince his wife that he had prospects and then things would get bad again.

When his mother took him and they finally left his father, things settled down somewhat for Mike, even though he couldn't understand why his father didn't fight to keep them together.  She remarried and gave Mike a more stable life.

Mike grew up, met Sarah, and married.   The 9 years spent living together with his parents had a very strong impact on his emotional development.  Sarah was also somewhat insecure.  One of her greatest fears in life was being poorer than their college friends.  She wanted Mike to go to law school and be a prosecutor or a judge, not be a game warden.  Being a game warden was a 24/7 job and not a high paying job.

Mike was a loner like his father.  I had the feeling when his father told him about the German POW camp in the remote part of Maine that he, his father, wanted to just disappear the same way as the escaped POW did and never be found.  After Mike and his mother left him, his drinking got worse and he moved far away from people.  Mike still felt an emotional attachment to his father, took Sarah to meet him and during this meeting at the bar, Mike became annoyed because someone had criticized his father.  Mike wanted his father's approval, had been embarrassed by him and in trying to get his approval, became a game warden to make amends for the petty crimes his father had committed against society and against his family.   Mike thinks as his father as having the persona of a Tasmanian Devil.  When Sarah left Mike, Mike thought "he could love this solitary and morbid profession without excuses and not have to look too deeply into the dark side of myself". 

You have to feel bad for Mike.  He is trying to have a better life than his father has but there is always something drawing him back to him and vice versa, as we shall soon find out.  {Bold added.}

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

From National Geographic

As comical as it is, the familiar Looney Tunes portrayal of a Tasmanian devil as a seething, snarling, insatiable lunatic is, at times, not all that far from the truth.

Tasmanian devils have a notoriously cantankerous disposition and will fly into a maniacal rage when threatened by a predator, fighting for a mate, or defending a meal. Early European settlers dubbed it a "devil" after witnessing such displays, which include teeth-baring, lunging, and an array of spine-chilling guttural growls.

Peppermill wrote:

Mike thinks as his father as having the persona of a Tasmanian Devil.

What does that mean?   (I haven't gone looking for what are the key or relevant characteristics of a Tasmanian Devil.)

Pepper

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Looney Tunes Tasmanian devil

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

What is Mike Bowditch like? What about his father? As others have relayed, Mike is a lonely and solitary man. He has deep respect and love for nature. He also has deep respect for order and the law.  He definitely is similar to his father in having issues with other people. He seems to prefer the solitude of the woods to the company of others. However, by being in law enforcement, he is taking a stand against his father's sometimes lawless ways.

What are the romantic relationships like that have been described this far into the novel? What was Mike's relationship with Sarah like? It is an understatement to say that the romantic relationships in this novel have not been very successful, so far. Mike's parents' relationship was unhappy and ended in a bitter divorce.  Mike's own relationship with his wife Sarah has not been positive - she left him because of the differences of the kind of life they want to live. She had hoped he would decide to go to law school and he is determined to live the life of a game warden. He misses her and counts the number of days she has been gone. But at the same time, he is relieved not to have to answer to her.

How do Mike's attitudes so far seem similar to and different from the people around him? Mike's attitude towards his father is different from others' attitudes in that he tries to be understanding of his father's choices & way of life and attributes them to be a result of his experiences in Vietnam. His attitude towards the bear is also different from others he encounters in the novel. Others state that he should shoot the bear; he does not want to do so, unless it becomes "necessary."

What are your early expectations for the story? What has shaped your sense of what to expect?

I have high expectations for this story - am enjoying it very much so far and looking forward to finding out what happens next!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

Mike is a kind, but "lost" soul.  He escapes his life by heading into the woods in order to protect the wild-life and enjoy nature at its best.  By doing this, he is protecting his heart from being hurt.  His father has disappointed Mike his whole life.  The one relationship that he longed to have failed, despite Mike's attempts to establish some kind of bond with his father.  He is afraid to stay with Sarah, almost as if it is "too good to be true."  She has shown her disappointment in his chosen career.  It is almost as if Mike self-sabotages his life and happiness.  He questions his feelings for Sarah and his father; yet he longs to be with both of them.  Thus, he unconsciously pushes Sarah away.     

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper