Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Re: The Poacher's Son: Final Chapters and Whole Novel

I was completely thrown by the ending of The Poacher's Son. Usually the original suspect is redeemed but certainly not here.

I think Jack is unstable and is manipulating Mike. He is trying to win Mike to his way of thinking. Mike handles it better than I would have in his shoes.

Only in that Jack is all in to the relationships. Mike's Mom was a different type of personality from Brenda. Brenda is childish and immature, she is also a manipulator.

Mike becomes his own man. He is stronger and his reason and judgment return.

I am glad Mike got his badge back. And of course I do not feel nearly as angry at his bosses when I realize they had not really fired Mike.

I think there may be more mysteries to solve with a stronger Mike.

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Contributor
torbank6

I was completely surprised and shocked by the ending.....the best part of the novel was all the surprises. I was hoping that Mike's dad didn't do the killings just for Mike's sake. 

Brenda was both a victim and villain as she probably at a young age learned to get what she wanted by manipulating people, especially men.  But I think she was a immature adult who didn't really understand the consequences of her behavior and lies.

I was glad Charlie survived although I didn't think he had at first.

I think Mike matured at the end and was glad when he got his badge back.....

Mike's future looks better although he needs to learn to reign in his impulse to react and to learn from his mistakes.

Loved the book. Thank you for an enjoyable but suspenseful and surprising book.

New User
annejuly

Shocked at the outcome?

In one way yes, as normally most novels do not conclude with the most expected suspect to be the "perp."    In another way, as the book went along,  I saw evidence tucked away here and there that caused me to be not so surprised.   For example we heard early on that he had been a Vietnam veteran.   Sadly, a very few of these young men were somewhat damaged for the rest of their lives after returning from this war.   Secondly, I thought the memories Mike had of the hunting trip his father took him on, when he became seriously ill because of his father's neglectful attitude, spoke toward the lack of heart of this man.  There were a few other things that lead me to believe that even though Mike felt his father was innocent that this was not a good man and that he could have done it.

Brenda---victim or villain?   She was a fascinating person and I will easily pronounce her a victim.  Our childhood is generally the root of who we become.   Brenda, poor little thing, was just someone who had to be taken care of by her father because nobody else would do it.   She was not so much "raised" which implies caring, teaching about good vs. evil, and generally acquiring morals, learning accountability,  learning about being part of a loving group of family and friends....how could she possibly comport herself as an adult in a compassionate way when none was ever given to her?  She learned as a child that you had to do whatever you could to get along  in this world and her attaching herself to and using as many men as possible was the only way she knew.  Sometimes you just realize someone had a sad, sad life and she is one of them.    You just don't turn 18 or 21 and say "I'm grown up now and I will start acting like a good citizen!"    She had no role models, we don't know if she even attended schools in order to learn about peer groups and socialization.   Did she even know right from wrong?   Probably on some level, but the "wrong" was what kept her going.

There were some things in the book that I think were a bit unexplained and left open to a ...sequel, or even a series.  I liked Mike and he was one of the few people in th book you had to care about.

Contributor
BLong
0 Kudos

Wow what a ride.  I do not read a lot of murder mystery books. But I enjoyed this one.  I could feel for the people who were about to loose their land. I did not think Mike's dad was the one who had done it.  And took BJ in as the victim not the one who helped.  I enjoyed the book and think that we will see more of Mike in other situations.

Contributor
hsb7766
0 Kudos

In mysteries, we expect the suspect to be a surprise revelation, and for the motives and events of the crime to grow ever more complicated as we discover them in the progress of the novel. What is different about the conclusion of The Poacher's Son? Were you shocked at the outcome?

I was really shocked that Jack came back.  Especially since so much was made early on about the hermit living in the hills and never being found. 

Does Brenda give the impression of being a child or a grown woman? Do you think of her as one of the novel's villains or as a victim? 

Brenda appears to be an emotionally stunted person.  As if she stopped maturing when when she was violated as a teen.  She was never really a child, but never really grew up.  I found her to be the most complicated character in the story.

Do you have predictions for Mike's future?

No predictions, but I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

"It is well to read everything of something and something of everything." -Lord Henry P. Brougham
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

WOW!!  I was finally able to pick this book up and I read it all today!  I kept thinking about possible suspects, but did NOT come up with this one!  I thought for awhile that Charlie was involved, but was glad to find out he was not!  

Loved the book and sincerely hope Paul will write another!!

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

annejuly, I love your post on this book. The ending was a big surprise. I love Mike. I think that he is a good guy trying to do good for his community. I am anxious to see what is up next for Mike. I hope that Mike finds that one special lady just made for him.

I loved this book. It is a great read. It wi very well written and a great mystery. I wil recommend this book to my friends.

ReadingPatti

Contributor
Alohamora
0 Kudos

In mysteries, we expect the suspect to be a surprise revelation, and for the motives and events of the crime to grow ever more complicated as we discover them in the progress of the novel. What is different about the conclusion of The Poacher's Son? Were you shocked at the outcome?

Yes - I was shocked, but also annoyed.  In good mysteries, even though endings are often a surprise, you realize there were clues throughout the story that in hindsight would have brought you to the same conclusion.  I do not find the clues well-executed in this book.

Mike's father pins some of the violence and death in these last scenes on Mike himself. Is this accurate or a manipulation?

Total manipulation

How does Mike handle it?

By this point, he has done a total character turn-around.  Suddenly he is focused and sees the reality of the situation clearly. Now he puts all the pieces together, no longer hampered by the baggage of his youth.  I don't believe he's capable of that kind of epiphany, based on his previous actions and reactions.

Do you get the impression that there were similarities in the relationships that Brenda Dean had with Jack, and Jack's relationship with Mike's mother?

Sure, there are some similarities, and Jack is probably making a desperate attempt at recreating that relationship.  But Brenda is an unpredictable alcoholic with no noticeable ambitions or goals.  Marie knew what she wanted and pursued it.

Does Brenda give the impression of being a child or a grown woman? Do you think of her as one of the novel's villains or as a victim? 

Both and both

How does Mike seem to change in these chapters, both before and after the violent ending with his father?

As I mentioned already, I don't believe his change is realistic.   

Does your opinion of any of the other Wardens change as we learn how mislead Mike was in his quest to save his father?

Even though Jack turned out to be a thorough ratter, in the beginning of the book we only have Mike's perspective with which to see Jack.  Therefore, the wardens (and all the law personnel's) perspectives are very surprising, and this is when I started to disconnect from the story, because the dichotomy wasn't addressed well.  So of course my opinion of them changed - you know what they say about hindsight.

Sorry, but I don't really care about Mike's future.

Contributor
Alohamora
0 Kudos

JoanieGranola and Kathy -

It is comforting to know that there are some others who share my impressions of the book. 

Kathy - your last paragraph pretty much sums it up for me, and JoanieGranola, I, too, wished for more character and storyline development.   Thank you both for putting my impressions into words.

JoanieGranola wrote:

Kathy, this is a very well written reply that I just couldn't find the words to write. While I thought the novel was entertaining enough, and there was the surprise reason at the end, I agree with your depth of character and storyline assessment. If the book had more depth - which would've made it twice as long - I would've enjoyed it much more. I found the stories Jack told Mike when he was a kid to be sort of lost in the entire plot. Not to mention all the other causes/actions in the book seem a little disjointed (in hindsight). I still enjoyed Mr. Dorion's work, but it certainly wasn't the "mystery" I was expecting.

KathyS wrote:

Well, I've already sadly given my opinion of this novel, but as far as the suspects, and the ending, there wasn't enough depth written into any of them, or the storyline, for me to be surprised, or not surprised, at who the bad guy(s) was. 

The ending read well, but there was nothing that made me care who did it, one way or the other.  I wasn't emotionally attached to Jack, Brenda, or these other characters, enough to care, or be surprised.  One of the police men, or any number of lame ducks could have done it.  Yes, this author had you questioning each character, but how much did it really matter to you?  That's the real question I pose.  How much did you like, or dislike, any of these characters?

The "WOW" effect, for me, comes only if I'm so totally blindsided, if I didn't see the person's motives.... which only comes when your suspicions are thrown completely on someone else, that you didn't connect the other person to the crime.  It was a roll of the dice, in this one.  It could have been any number of people.  The fact that Jack did what he did, was a very lame reason for a mystery ending, as I read it.

The scenes were written well, but the glue that stuck them together just wasn't there for me.  Tell me why I should care for Jack, or Brenda, or anyone of these characters?  Enough to be blindsided?

I would have had Charley as the killer, without first telling us that he would loose as much as anyone, as this author wrote it in, (motive for killing) when the land was sold.  Just knowing that thirty years of living in this place, and the love for it, is a good motive to want to preserve what you have......the love for your land, your home and family.....  I wish we could have gotten to know Charley and his wife, and family, better, without throwing suspicion on him, if he's not the killer, it just made it obvious it wasn't him.  I would have had Jack out there, finding out who the real killer was, trying to absolve himself, and Mike finding his father in the process, and helping him in all of this...forget Brenda as a love interest... the real drama comes in the writing by an author, to make us care, or love the person, who in the end you find out is the real killer.  That's when it blindsides you.

Anyway, I didn't care if Jack did it, or Brenda, or any of these people who came across as dysfunctional.  If they don't care about anything, why should I care about them?  Of course, I'm only speaking of characters in a novel, not about real people you do care about.  Like I said, I didn't get emotionally attached to any of these characters.

Contributor
pattycakeMN
0 Kudos

I was so disappointed in Jack 's relationship with Mike, and also that he defended Brenda to the end.  I was happy that Charley was not involved in the murders because I had begun to suspect him at one point.

Mike's future will be hard for him, but I think he will salvage his relationship with Sarah but his relationship with his Mother will never be good.

WONDERFUL BOOK !!!  I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read it !! 

THANK YOU !!

Reader
SarahQFaye
0 Kudos

I didn't post much during this discussion because I wasn't really in to this book like I thought I was going to be.  I think it was really hard for me to get into this book because I felt it started off slow, with a lot of description and not much that kept the plot going. 

By the end I was having a lot more fun with the novel.  I think once the author got into it with the twists and turns, it was a great book. 

Frequent Contributor
MelissaW
0 Kudos

Do you get the impression that there were similarities in the relationships that Brenda Dean had with Jack, and Jack's relationship with Mike's mother?

Yes, I believe that there are similarities between Brenda's relationship with Jack and Jack's relationship with Mike's mother.  Both women came from poor backgrounds and were looking for someone to love them.  I think that they just accepted the first man who showed them any kindness.  However, I believe that Brenda is a user and is comfortable with what she has, whereas, Mike's mom wanted better for herself and for her son and so she left Jack so that she could find it.

I also think that Brenda is more comfortable with Jack's violence than Mike's mom was.  That makes her a better "fit" for Jack.

Brenda gives off mixed signals as to whether she is a child or a grown woman.  I think that she does that deliberately, depending on the situation and what she wants/needs from the people who she is with.  I think that she is a villian.  She could have chosen to take a different path, but she is excited by the violence surrounding Jack and so stays with him instead of breaking away and looking for a better life for herself.

Frequent Contributor
MelissaW
0 Kudos

I think that Mike learned a lot from this experience iwth his father and will be a better Game Warden for it.

Frequent Contributor
looptyloo
0 Kudos

Yes, I was looking for the misdirection. The reasons were different than was originally assumed, but the right killer was being looked for the entire time 

Mike's father pins some of the violence and death in these last scenes on Mike himself. Is this accurate or a manipulation?

Total manipulation. Mike was defending himself.

How does Mike handle it?

He handles it correctly this time. He understood that his father had played him, and is determined for it not to happen again, by pegging guilt to Mike.  

There are similarities. The volatility of the relationship for one. Marie was going to school to try to better herself. Brenda has no ambitions other than finding her next drink.  

Brenda is an adult as a manipulator, but a child in most other ways. She could be viewed as the ultimate villain in that her lies set up Jack's anger to commit mirder in the first place. She can be viewed as a victim in that her upbringing could be seen to have molded her to the person she is.

How does Mike seem to change in these chapters, both before and after the violent ending with his father?

Mike seems to be able to make better decisions after his father is found.This is probably not the most realistic change, because Mike just snapped back to sound judgement after having spent the entire book not showing any at all.    

Does your opinion of any of the other Wardens change as we learn how mislead Mike was in his quest to save his father?

No, because while they were telling Mike that he was best served to leave the situation alone he couldn't. The wardens tried hard to help Mike, but he would not listen.  

It would be interesting to see Mike in a situation where his family is not involved to see if he is imagined to be more like the guy at the end of the book or the irrational guy through most of it.