Contributor
MrsMc

Re: The Poacher's Son: Later Middle Chapters, 19-25

Mike is not thinking straight in these chapters. Without any thought about himself or his job, he is thinking only about proving that Jack is innocent. I think it's hard to trust any aspect of his reasoning when he is being so unreasonable at this time. Somehow I feel, even with the amount of trouble he is in at work and with his superiors being so angry with him, he will not lose his job. They know that he is too good of a game warden and that he is only acting out because of what is happening in his personal life. At this time, his personal life is overshadowing his work life. Again, he is not rationalizing things...and, in turn, is turning away from what he knows as a game warden and what is right and wrong, to find his father and do what he feels he needs to do in order to prove Jack's innocence. With that said, I believe he is also trying to prove to himself that Jack did not murder those men.

Vernon Tripp's sarcastic remark was just that...sarcasm. Unfortunately for him, he didn't get the reaction or rise out of Mike that he was looking at getting. I don't think that Mike turned against his father in choosing his job as a game warden. He became a game warden because of his father. It was his father that put him on that path...it was his father's interests of poaching (illegal, as it is) and the wilderness that helped Mike choose his career path.

It never dawned on me that BJ would be Brenda from Pelletier's camp. That little twist surprised me! I think her feelings for Jack are probably sincere, but in a sick sort of way. She has suffered abuse by older men, never had a "father figure" in her life, and has attached herself to Jack because she feels safe and protected. I have my doubts that she is telling the truth because she has issues of her own. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that she has some involvement in the murders because she strikes me as being a very inward, yet selfish, immature girl.

Charley seems like he is trying to take Mike under his wing...help him out and guide him. He is pretty supportive of Mike although he has his own doubts about Jack being innocent. Charley and Ora have a loving relationship...something that Mike never saw with his own parents. I did not suspect the reason their daugthers didn't keep in touch with them. I thought that it was due to them having their own lives, like so many kids do now-a-days. Ora is an incredible lady with everything she has been through and not reliving or talking about the accident again. She doesn't blame Charley...who, of course, still harbors enough guilt for the both of them. Too bad they weren't Mike's parents! But, my guess is that they'll wind up being a big part of Mike's life after all is said and done.

Jack is just a "bad boy" and some women find themselves attracted to that type. I guess it's like "living on the edge." I haven't really given Sally a lot of thought because I don't really think her character will be anything other than someone that crossed paths with the main characters...especially Jack who she had a thing for and Brenda who she obviously can't stand. She seems to be a genuine, hard-working, and a very blunt person. But, I won't be too surprised if I'm wrong about her not having anything to do with the murders...since I was totally taken by surprise about BJ being Brenda! :smileywink:  

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

I think in many ways it just boils down to their age... it's their first REAL relationship in the adult world where the thoughts of marriage/kids/forever are on the table. They got together during college where relationships can be centered more around the physical and less around reality.

Then again from what we've seen of Sarah I think she's a selfish little busy body who pretends to care about others when all she really is motivated by is what benefits hers and fulfills her urges.

Mike tried to be the bigger person when she showed up on his steps... but couple a lonely, distressed man with alcohol and the woman he cares for and I can't blame him for sleeping with Sarah again. After all, he's only human and his entire world got ripped apart in days.... Sarah swooped in and tried to mess with his head knowing full well he'd be vulnerable. Shame on her.

DSaff wrote:

I agree with you on this. As I said before, Mike said it would be better to hurt Sarah now rather than later. If he was the selfish so-and-so the some think he is, he would have had Sarah stay for a while; not caring how it affected her. He can't tell her that because she would just stay. Sarah should know him well enough to know that he needs space and time.

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I still don't think Mike is as much of an a-hole to Sarah as Sarah and Kathy are trying to make him out to be. She came back for her own selfish reasons, he could have handled the situation a little better but given how his world had just been turned upside down, I feel he handled things well. He knew he'd end up hurting her again because of his love for his job and he didn't want to pretend it could be any different this time around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Correspondent
CJINCA
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I also wanted to add that Brenda is not very stable. As I said before, she loves men and will try anything to get in bed with them. She is one not to be trusted as she doesn't seem sincere about things going on with Jack. She hardly is one to be believed at this point.

I agree about the instability of Brenda, but I think for her getting in bed is more the means than the end. That is, she is very manipulative and uses the promise of sex to get what she wants.

Growing up as the only girl in a sporting camp, especially with the nickname "BJ," couldn't have been too healthy for her.

Frequent Contributor
nbmars
0 Kudos

Did you expect that Brenda was the young girl "BJ" from Pelletier's camp? Are her feelings for Jack sincere? Were you as shocked as Mike to learn who she is? Do you think she's telling the truth? 

I had no idea Brenda and BJ were the same.  Even after finding out, it seemed hard to believe about her and Jack, unless she was really really desperate for a father figure.  But Jack hardly seems like he could fit the bill!  As for finding out the truth, I don't think it helps Mike's case that he can't remember not to call her BJ!!!

Bonnie_C

Mike:  Mike finds himself in a situation where he logically thinks that his father is innocent.  He finds no one to support him on this.  As an officer of the law and a son he must find it infuriating that the law enforcement officials have already written his father off as guilty.  I think Mike finds his position as game warden a hindrance rather than a help, so he is willing to step away from his job so he can be free to help his father in any way that he can.

Brenda:  When I read that Brenda worked at the camp, I went back to see who the kitchen help was that summer that Mike was there.  I saw that it was B.J. Which could have been Brenda something, but I still did not think it was her because she was so young.  I guess I wasn't really surprised about her being Jack's girlfriend because in that remote of an area, the pickings could be pretty slim.  She's not portrayed as a girl scout, so I can't say at this point that I really trust her.

Charley:  I got the feeling that when Mike visited with Charley and Cora, he must have wondered what his life would have been like if these were his parents.  Charley is a nature lover who has stayed on the right side of the law.  I was especially struck when Mike referenced Cora's meal that she prepared and thought about how his mom never took the time to learn how to prepare a meal like that for her family.

But as another reader pointed out, as much as I want to like Charley, I too thought about how much he has to loose if he is forced to leave his home of 30 years.

Jack:  I'll have to say that Jack must be THE most handsome man in the woods or he must really be good in the sack.  My mental image of him so far is of him riding around in his rickety old pickup with animal glands in jars while he splashes a healthy dose of deer urine on him to keep the dogs away.  He would have to clean up really well to get my attention.  But I will say in his defense that I get the feeling that he does not beat up on his women.  I guess that's a big plus.

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Mike is using very poor judgment in these chapters. He simply isn't thinking before he acts. I think he is on an emotional roller coaster and feels compelled to help his father prove he is innocent. The problem is his father isn't helping him.

I don't think he turned against his father when he became a game warden. Right now I believe he just wants to help his father and nothing else seems very important. However, he is acting before thinking as stated above.

I didn't suspect that Brenda was the young B.J. I think her feelings for Jack may be sincere but there is something about her that doesn't ring true.

I really like Charley but again I feel like there is something he is hiding. I think he and Ora love each other and he feels guilty for her accident. I did suspect that was the reason his daughter's don't seem to keep in touch. I find that so sad.

I don't have any real sense of Sally. I think Jack has the kind of bad boy personality that many women like. I would guess that he is physically attractive and has a real attitude that makes him appealing to some.

CAG
Correspondent
T-Mo

What's your assessment of Mike's judgment in these chapters? Do you trust any aspect of his reasoning? Has he lost his job for good?

I don’t think Mike is making the best choices for his career, but I don’t believe he has completely lost his job for good. I think he could have possibly fared better had he called Lt. Malcomb to tell him he was going to see Soctomah et al. because THEY were requesting his presence in Flagstaff. Malcomb still might have disapproved but at least he wouldn’t have thought that Mike was blowing off his meeting simply because he didn’t care. 

Did you expect that Brenda was the young girl "BJ" from Pelletier's camp? Are her feelings for Jack sincere? Were you as shocked as Mike to learn who she is? Do you think she's telling the truth? 

I did not think that Brenda was BJ, but I wasn’t surprised at the revelation. I do tend to think she is telling some sort of truth because I firmly believe Russ Pelletier holds some of the responsibility for the murders. Too, given that Charlie so firmly believes that whoever committed the crime was definitely a poacher, it is not too far fetched to believe that Truman had a hand in it as well. It is also not too hard to see why both Pelletier and Truman would want to frame Jack. 

We spend a long time with Charley in these chapters. What do you make of his character?

I can’t help but wonder why Charlie is “helping” Mike, so to speak. He doesn’t seem to believe that Jack is innocent so why is he dragging Mike around, showing him the crime scene, and taking him to Tripp’s, instigating both Tripp and Truman? Maybe he’s trying to expose Mike to these things so that he’ll come around on his own, and see/understand why the investigation is going on as it is, or rather, he’ll understand why the police think his father is the prime suspect. 

What is your sense of Sally?

Sally seems very bitter toward Jack, but it could just be a cover. I’m curious to find out who spilled the beans about the last minute change in plans to drive Shipman to Sugarloaf. I think Sally might have something to do with this, and that could be part of the reason why she’s being so hostile toward Mike.

Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I think in many ways it just boils down to their age... it's their first REAL relationship in the adult world where the thoughts of marriage/kids/forever are on the table. They got together during college where relationships can be centered more around the physical and less around reality.

Then again from what we've seen of Sarah I think she's a selfish little busy body who pretends to care about others when all she really is motivated by is what benefits hers and fulfills her urges.

Mike tried to be the bigger person when she showed up on his steps... but couple a lonely, distressed man with alcohol and the woman he cares for and I can't blame him for sleeping with Sarah again. After all, he's only human and his entire world got ripped apart in days.... Sarah swooped in and tried to mess with his head knowing full well he'd be vulnerable. Shame on her.

DSaff wrote:

I agree with you on this. As I said before, Mike said it would be better to hurt Sarah now rather than later. If he was the selfish so-and-so the some think he is, he would have had Sarah stay for a while; not caring how it affected her. He can't tell her that because she would just stay. Sarah should know him well enough to know that he needs space and time.

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I still don't think Mike is as much of an a-hole to Sarah as Sarah and Kathy are trying to make him out to be. She came back for her own selfish reasons, he could have handled the situation a little better but given how his world had just been turned upside down, I feel he handled things well. He knew he'd end up hurting her again because of his love for his job and he didn't want to pretend it could be any different this time around.

Lil Irish Lass,  I agree with your analysis on this topic whole heartedly. Mike is really not that bad, But he has a lot of baggage from his childhood which I really don't think affects how he treats Sarah, I think it affects how he feels about himself and he "lets" Sarah use him.

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

I think Mike is acting immature and not rationally.

I was very suprised that BJ was in fact Brenda. Didn't see that one coming. I think she is sincere and cares about Jack.

Im not sure what the ladies see in Jack.  But he definitely does get the ladies' attention.  Maybe  the ladies are attracted to him because he is not someone they would ordinarily be attracted to, some spice and variety maybe? I dont honestly know because I certainly did not find him attractive in the least!

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

What's your assessment of Mike's judgment in these chapters? Do you trust any aspect of his reasoning? Has he lost his job for good?

Mikes choices seem to be snowballing - once he makes a decision that may affect his career he just keeps on compounding his problems. I think that he is very emotional right now but I think (I haven't finished the book yet) that with Kathy's help he'll eventually work it out.

In these chapters, we hear the title of the book echoed in Vernon Tripp's sarcastic laugh, " The poacher's son is a game warden!" This irony has, of course, never been lost on Mike. If Mike did "turn against" his father in choosing this job, what is he doing now?

Mike may not like his father but there is an emotional connection. It's hard for him to imagine that his father could really be guilty of murder.

I did not suspect that and I don't really trust her. Sally described her as someone who was always looking for attention from men. I think the way she was raised in an isolated area with men like her father and Jack around contributed to the way she turned out.

We spend a long time with Charley in these chapters. What do you make of his character? What does Mike think of him? How would you describe his relationship with Ora?  Did you suspect the reason his daughters don't seem to keep in touch, as Mike did?

I really like Charley and his wife. I'm sure he feels a lot of guilt but I believe they truly love each other. I think Mike respects and trusts him, he seems to have made an impression on teenage Mike and I believe he is the reason Mike became a warden.

What on Earth makes Jack so attractive to women? What is your sense of Sally?

I don't know - he sounds very unappealing to me! Sally has a lot of bitterness towards Jack which could hurt Mike.

Contributor
Zyna
0 Kudos

In these chapters, we hear the title of the book echoed in Vernon Tripp's sarcastic laugh, "The poacher's son is a game warden!" This irony has, of course, never been lost on Mike. If Mike did "turn against" his father in choosing this job, what is he doing now?

I think that, since the time Mike was a little boy and agreed to go trapping with his father that one time--despite having a cold or the flu or whatever it was he had and resulting in the kid nearly dying of pneumonia--everything Mike has done has been to prove himself to his father, to get his approval. Becoming a game warden may have been a "turn against" Mike's father, but I still think he did it in an attempt to gain some respect from his father, with whom he feels an emotional connection. Now Mike is trying to clear his father's name because he still feels that emotional connection and, maybe deep down, he still wants his father's approval.

Did you expect that Brenda was the young girl "BJ" from Pelletier's camp? Are her feelings for Jack sincere? Were you as shocked as Mike to learn who she is? Do you think she's telling the truth?

My mouth literally fell open when the revelation was made that Brenda was in fact "BJ". When I finally regained my composure and read on, I still had a hard time believing that the shy girl from Pelletier's camp was Jack's girlfriend. Of course, from the way she was acting when Mike spoke with her, I wasn't surprised that Jack might have fallen for the woman "Brenda" had become, as I can see him having a fondness for emotionally unstable women like her, and Brenda probably only took to Jack because she was in need of a father figure she was deprived of as a child. I definitely wouldn't trust her if I was in Mike's shoes.

PiperMurphy

I think that Mike's judgment and reactions are true to a 24 year old man in his situation. He is new to his job, confused about who he is, and conflicted about his relationship with his father. He is making decisions based on life experience. A more mature and experienced person would have made better choices. For instance, he could have called his lieutenant to reschedule their meeting, or better yet told the investigators that he had a previous appointment. But, he's a bit of a hot head, so he does what he thinks he needs to and will deal with the consequences later. Actually, I don't think that he is being treated fairly. It's almost like he is guilty by association. No, he hasn't lost his job. Kathy will see to that.

I was surprised by who Brenda really is. I thought she was someone Jack's age. Yes, I believe her. I don't think that she has a reason to lie.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Correspondent
SandyS

MsReaderCP wrote:

Charley who at the beginning was a nice respectable game warden is now making me uncomfortable.  You know that feeling you get in your gut.  .......  I'm not saying Charlie is my suspect, but the book makes me think about him at this point.  and he mentioned earlier he has no alibi.  However he doing an investigation, that looks somewhat complete, is it to help him in the future? Or to really flesh out the killer?  or just to find Jack?  another great red herring if he is not the one - I have read a lot of mystery books and it is often the one you do not expect that is the killer so I often look at the nice, good guy as I'm reading. (have not finished book yet- enjoying the small ironies, clues, psychology of the past on the present, psychology of the child's behavior from the parent, etc things I don't usually encounter in my mystery books.

I haven't been much of a mystery reader so I find this concept of "who-dun-it" intriguing.  I agree with MsReaderCP that I'm starting to wonder about every character. 

I am enjoying the depth of the characters.  I did not believe I would find depth in the mystery genre.  One of my goals for this book was to look anew at the genre.  I am pleasantly surprised so far.

SandyS

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Charlie is a good soul.  He has taken Mike under his wing, and allows him to participate in the search/investigation of Jack.  Charlie is Mike's role model and substitute father figure (though he too is not physically present in Mike's life).  Mike will always remember that night with his father, the deer, and Charlie. 

Charlie and Ora have a strong relationship...one of those rare sincere, loving, committed relationships.  Yes, Charlie feels guilty in regards to the accident that left Ora paralyzed, but I don't think their relationship is based on his guilt.  Ora is very welcoming to Mike.  Charlie and Ora are two people that I would like to know.  I feel as if they would do anything for anyone. 

Unlike Charlie and Ora, Brenda totally surprised me.  I had no clue that B.J. was the same girl that Mike had met that summer he spent with his dad.  She sounds convincing, but I'm not so sure that I believe her.  Mike didn't like her in the past, and first impressions can be pretty powerful.  I have a funny feeling about Brenda. 

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Contributor
skrupp
0 Kudos

Mike's judgement is gone.  He seems to be going more on feelings rather than sense.  His reasoning at this time is not to be trusted.  And his job--kiss it good-bye unless someone higher up takes pity on him.

What is Mike doing now with his father?  Good question.  I get the feeling he is still trying to earn some respect from his father.  He still wants to be accepted by his father.

I did not expect BJ to turn out to be Brenda, but maybe a tiny part of my brain wondered why introduce a character from his memory if she didn't have some part in the book.  I don't think Brenda knows if her feelings are sincere.  She comes across as a user.  I think she's led a tough life and I don't think I would trust her.

I like Charley.  He is a smart old guy.  He seems to pick up on lots of little things.  He seems to be a stablizing force for Mike at this point.  I feel that Mike likes Charley.  He thinks highly of him and his opinion.  Charley has a good marriage and a good relationship with his wife.  It is a relationship that has gone through some tough times but made it stronger.  I had no clue to the reason his girls didn't keep in touch.  It was a surprise to me.

What makes Jack so attractive to women?  Bets me.  I can't figure it out.  there must be some unseen magnetism there.  I don't get it at all.  Of course, some of that comes from my personal choices in men.  Don't much like the drunks or almost jobless.

Sally seems to be a lady that is just trying to get by in the world.  She cares about the people that come to her bar or she wouldn't take the time to call the police when someones been drinking too much.

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

At this point, I think Mike is acting completely irrationally.  I'm not sure what's driving him at this point, other than he's convinced of his father's innocence and wants to prove to himself that maybe dear old dad isn't as bad a character as many think (mostly Mike himself).  I just don't know if he's lost his job for good. . .it would seem so, but who knows. . .maybe not.

I didn't have a clue Brenda is BJ from the earlier chapter, and was very surprised.  BJ didn't really make much of an impression on me as a young girl at the camp.  I did feel bad for her in that environment. . .felt like what sort of chance would she have at life in surroundings like that, never suspecting that we might meet her again later on.  She seems sincere, but I'm just not sure.

Jack has no attraction for me whatsoever, and I find myself asking that question. . . what do women find attractive about him?  He's not a bad boy. . .he's worse than a bad boy to me.  I don't like him. 

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Inspired Contributor
JuneC
0 Kudos

Did you expect that Brenda was the young girl "BC" from Pelletier's camp? Are her feelings for Jack sincere? Were you as shocked as Mike to learn who she is? 

Brenda's feelings for Jack are sincere. She is an abused girl. She looks to him for the security she needs and knows he will keep her safe. Considering the age difference it is not comfortable relationship for me to watch  but for her it works. I was not as shocked as MIke to learn who she was. Characters in stories like this seem to come back around in unusual ways.

Inspired Contributor
JuneC
0 Kudos

What on Earth makes Jack so attractive to women?

Damn good question and isn't it a bit frightening?

Wordsmith
literature

What's your assessment of Mike's judgment in these chapters? Do you trust any aspect of his reasoning? Has he lost his job for good?  From the beginning, Mike never struck me as being very grounded and is definitely lacking clarity in his life.  Mike is not capable of rational thinking now because he is so spent on proving his father innocent and winning his love and respect, that he will do and say anything in the hopes of finding that one piece of information that could set him free.  Jack had reached out to Mike when he called him and this Mike took as his father caring.

In these chapters, we hear the title of the book echoed in Vernon Tripp's sarcastic laugh, " The poacher's son is a game warden!" This irony has, of course, never been lost on Mike. If Mike did "turn against" his father in choosing this job, what is he doing now?  Mike turned against his father and chose to become a game warden to make up for the petty crimes his father committed against society. I don't think you can compare Mike's choice of profession with the fact that he is trying to find some proof of his innocense. Mike is the battered child who, in spite of the emotional and/or mental abuse he sustained growing up, still needs the approval of the abuser and will do anything to get it.  Mike is up against a police department who believes Jack is guilty and who doesn't see the necessity of going any further with the investigation, as does the whole community.  Even Charley believes him guilty.  The police tell Mike to stay away from the crime scene but then calls him in to talk with Brenda.  During Mike's meeting with Brenda, Detective Menario  is convinced that Mike and Brenda are just covering up for Jack, especially after Mike realizes Brenda is "BJ" and is his father's girlfriend. 

Did you expect that Brenda was the young girl "BJ" from Pelletier's camp? Are her feelings for Jack sincere? Were you as shocked as Mike to learn who she is? Do you think she's telling the truth?   The only truth Brenda is telling is that she is one and the same "BJ" from Pelletier's camp.  BJ was so teased as a young girl because of the nickname her father pinned on her and plus the fact that the only examples set for her was only being around  these no good, drunken men, she learned early on that the only way to feel wanted or needed and that was with these men.  I didn't expect BJ and Brenda to be the same person nor did I suspect that Jack would hook up with anyone so young.  I don't believe that Brenda had any feelings for Jack other than he was decent to her and protected her so he was just someone to hang onto at the moment.   I believe that Jack had some type of feelings for her, to what degree is another question though.

We spend a long time with Charley in these chapters. What do you make of his character? What does Mike think of him? How would you describe his relationship with Ora?  Did you suspect the reason his daughters don't seem to keep in touch, as Mike did?  Charley is someone who was well respected as a Game Warden and continues to be even after his retirement.  He seems to be an easy going person, without  enemies and with no ax to grind.  How else would he be able to get away with saying the things he does to these men. Charley seems to be more objective in his approach to handling matters.  Even though he knows Jack is guilty, he still tries to explore all angles.  Charley and Ora have a loving and respectful relationship, even inspite of her accident, and Mike recognizes this as such.  I, too, wondered if they had any children and once Mike saw the picture, I figured there must have been ill will.  Charley was being father toward Mike when he kept telling him that "you are the youngest old fart I've ever made the acquaintance of".  Mike wanted the land to remain undeveloped the way it was when Charley was younger but as Charley explained to Mike, even back then, the land was changing.

What on Earth makes Jack so attractive to women? What is your sense of Sally? Regardless of how Jack's character is portrayed in the story, I think he is a rugged looking individual and together with his sense of mischieveness, makes him appealing to these women.  I was a little disappointed that Sally Reynolds might be interested in Jack; I thought she would have been a little more selective in her choices.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I never thought of BJ as Brenda. She was so briefly mentioned that I didn't expect her to return. Brenda has no home life. Her father is a brutal, cruel man. He mistreated her and although Jack is a rough character, I don't think he mistreats her. He provides the structure of a home life for her, albeit a poor one, that he never gave to Mike. He defends and protects  her and doesn't allow her to be mistreated by others. Yet he mistreated Mike by not caring for him properly or recognizing that he was supposed to guide and mentor his child, not abandon him to grow up haphazardly.

I think that Brenda knows more than she is letting on. Perhaps she even knows who the murderer is and I don't think it is Jack. I also think she probably attacked her father, and caused the loss of his eye, leaving him with the scar on his face. Who knows how he may have abused her?

Rachel-K wrote: