Contributor
torbank6
0 Kudos

Re: The Poacher's Son: Later Middle Chapters, 19-25

What is my assessment of Mike's judgment?  He is acting very strange and I think he doesn't want to believe his father killed someone...he will do anything to defend him, even lose his job.  I don't think he should get his job back....you can't trust his judgment.

I did not expect Brenda to be BJ....I wondered what the writer had in store for her but was completely surprised.  I don't think she loves anyone really, just herself and what she needs and wants and who she can get it from.

I love Charlie, too. He is more like a father should have been to Mike and there is a bond there already.

Why is Jack attractive to women?? I have on idea....

Love the book, have read it twice

Contributor
Alohamora
0 Kudos

What's your assessment of Mike's judgment in these chapters? Do you trust any aspect of his reasoning? Has he lost his job for good?

I became more and more frustrated with Mike and his actions and choices and thought processes during these chapters.  His emotional state is not allowing any space for being objective or listening reasonably to other perspectives.  I don't think he lost his job for good, but I think he wants to think that so he can absolve himself of any responsibility to his job.

In these chapters, we hear the title of the book echoed in Vernon Tripp's sarcastic laugh, " The poacher's son is a game warden!" This irony has, of course, never been lost on Mike. If Mike did "turn against" his father in choosing this job, what is he doing now?

He's turning against his job and choosing his father.  By this point, Mike has done so much flip-flopping regarding his feelings toward his father, that I'm getting bored and frustrated with him.  I understand that the character would be torn between wanting love and approval from his parent, and being angry with him for abandonment, but it comes out wishy-washy and whiney, and if I hadn't committed to the First Look, I would not finish the book.  This would be only the third time in more than fifty years of avid reading that I have considered not finishing a book.

Did you expect that Brenda was the young girl "BJ" from Pelletier's camp?

No, but because of my waning interest, I have been having a hard time concentrating.

Are her feelings for Jack sincere?

Probably

Were you as shocked as Mike to learn who she is?

Suprised, but not shocked.

Do you think she's telling the truth? 

Not entirely

We spend a long time with Charley in these chapters. What do you make of his character?

Charley is the only character that feels plausable to me at this point.  He's what's keeping me going. 

What does Mike think of him?

I think he's close to being a pseudo father-figure for Mike.  I think Mike repects him, and I think he carries some guilt around what potentially could have happened at the encounter at his father's the summer that Mike stayed there.

How would you describe his relationship with Ora? 

Seems idyllic - almost too good to be real.

Did you suspect the reason his daughters don't seem to keep in touch, as Mike did?

somewhat - but, again, was losing interest, so not paying as close attention as I usually do.

What on Earth makes Jack so attractive to women?

No idea - I find his character annoying, selfish, and repulsive.

What is your sense of Sally?

Shrewd.

Frequent Contributor
MelissaW
0 Kudos

What's your assessment of Mike's judgment in these chapters? Do you trust any aspect of his reasoning?

I think that Mike's judgment is truly conflicted right now.  He wants to be the best Game Warden that he can, but at the same time, he really believes that his dad is innocent.  Mike really wants to believe this because of his childhood feelings for his dad. 

His reasoning may seem to be valid to him, but he has had nothing to do with his dad for several years and can't really know the person that he is.

Frequent Contributor
looptyloo
0 Kudos

What's your assessment of Mike's judgment in these chapters? Do you trust any aspect of his reasoning? Has he lost his job for good?

II became frustrated with Mike because his decision making became worse as the book wore on. Rather than listening to the decisions of other, Mike is not reasoning, but using emotion to justify everything that he is feeling.  

In these chapters, we hear the title of the book echoed in Vernon Tripp's sarcastic laugh, " The poacher's son is a game warden!" This irony has, of course, never been lost on Mike. If Mike did "turn against" his father in choosing this job, what is he doing now?

In this situation Mike chose his father over everything else, his job, friends, Sarah. Mike probably never fully turned away from his dad in his heart of hearts. Mike just wanted to be different than his dad because deep down he knew he was a lot like his dad in many ways.

Did you expect that Brenda was the young girl "BJ" from Pelletier's camp?

Yes and no. I thought maybe it was because the police wanted Mike to talk to her way too badly. No because well it would seem a little weird that Jack had taken up with such a young woman.  

Are her feelings for Jack sincere?

Probably, but she doesn't know how to respond.

Were you as shocked as Mike to learn who she is?

No. It was something that could have been forseen

Do you think she's telling the truth? 

Nope

We spend a long time with Charley in these chapters. What do you make of his character?

I like Charley. He seems like the perfect mentor. He also seems to genuinely care about doing right even though it means the loss of his home too. He seems to want to be a father figure to Mike as well, keep his head on striaght.  

What does Mike think of him?

I think Mike views him as the dad he wanted. A father that would teach him things, approve of his job. In Charley Mike sees the things he missed with Jack.

How would you describe his relationship with Ora? 

It seems like th eperfect relationship. Especially even with Ora's problem, they still love each other very much/

Did you suspect the reason his daughters don't seem to keep in touch, as Mike did?

No. Accidents happen, and it doesn;t seem like that was something Ora or Charley forsaw. That should have been a time when his daughter was willing to help in anyway she could instead, she turned and ran.

What on Earth makes Jack so attractive to women?

No clue.

What is your sense of Sally?

Smart.