Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome and Introductions

Tell us a little bit about yourself here!

I'm Paul, your admin and a diehard mystery fan. My folks introduced me to this genre via John D. MacDonald back in the 70's.

I live in Westchester County, N.Y. which really isn't known for any great sleuths. Oh well, I guess I'll have to create my own when I finally write that book of mine!

I'm super excited to finally be hosting a Mystery First Look.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi, I'm Debbie also a die hard mystery fan and this novel looks to be right up my dark and dangerous alley.

I'm from a small farming community just out side of St. Louis MO and have been a part of FL from the beginning.

I'm also a regular on a lot of the other clubs around here.

Contributor
amerz77
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Amy.  I am a huge mystery fan as well.  I have only been in this "book club" scene for a little over a month, and so far I am loving it!  Since I started I have been very interested in the "First Look".  I am really looking forward to reading the Poacher's Son and being a part of this "First Look" club.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Donna. I am an avid reader of all types of books, but my favorites are mysteries! My husband and I live in Western MA with our dog, Oscar. Our children are grown and out of the house, but we are loving their visits and those of the grandkids. Among my other hobbies, I like to do woodburning, crocheting, needlework, and other crafts. I have to say though that reading has become more of a passion as the years have flown by. <grin> I have been involved with FL from the beginning and hope to be in on this book.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I am really excited about a mystery/thriller as an ARC. I love this genre.

Thank you Paul

pen21

Contributor
cdehn
0 Kudos

I'm Catherine and I am a "wanna be" mystery fan. I can honestly say mysteries have not been my first choice when picking out books. I'm hoping Poacher's Son will can that. I'm anxious to start reading!  Thanks!  Catherine

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Hello. My name is Charlie and I love mysteries, I am looking forward to reading this book, nice to meet you all.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Susan and this will be my eight FL experience. I keep coming back because it forces me to read outside of my comfort zone and experience new authors and writing styles, plus I love the communal aspect of discussing a book with others.

I live in Central NH so am happy to see another "local" book make it on to the list and my all time favorite genre is the Victorian Gothic Novel so a mystery seems to me to be a much loved cousin on the literary family tree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

I am so happy that this First Look is going to be a mystery.      Mystery/Suspense is always my first choice in reading.    

Frequent Contributor
lilk
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Karen and I'm excited to participate in the first look mystery selection, hope I got in on time.  It's a little confusing because this group has a date of 1/12 so I hope I'm in the right place.

Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

http://thebookendsreviews.com
Correspondent
MsReaderCP
0 Kudos

I have read mystery and fantasy since I was a child, beginning with Nancy Drew and C.S. Lewis.  I tend to read more mainstream and cozy mysteries than noir and thrillers, but these discussions are so much fun that I am looking forward to diving into this thriller.  Plus I'm from the South and woke every morning at 3 during hunting seasons, so when I hear "Poacher", I'm a little homesick too!!:smileyhappy: Can't wait to discuss with you!!

Contributor
CatC
0 Kudos

Hello.  I'm Cathy from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.  This is my first attempt to join First Look and I am thrilled to find a mystery is the book this month.  I'm an avid reader and mystery/thrillers are my favorite genre although I will read others. I belong to an online book forum and we have monthly discussions but the idea of getting an advanced copy of a book puts a big grin on my face.  I have to send a big thank you to NY Mazz who told me about First Look

New User
hazan21
0 Kudos

Hi I´m Vivianne

I guess I go back to mystery reading since nancy Drew a loooong time ago, been at it since. I read english and spanish, and for now I´m going through the James Patterson ones. There´s no  better way of getting your mind of things than a good mystery.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Cathy. Welcome to the FL group! I hope you enjoy the book and the discussion.  :smileywink:

CatC wrote:

Hello.  I'm Cathy from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.  This is my first attempt to join First Look and I am thrilled to find a mystery is the book this month.  I'm an avid reader and mystery/thrillers are my favorite genre although I will read others. I belong to an online book forum and we have monthly discussions but the idea of getting an advanced copy of a book puts a big grin on my face.  I have to send a big thank you to NY Mazz who told me about First Look

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the FL group, Vivianne! I loved Nancy Drew too. This book looks good. :smileyhappy:

hazan21 wrote:

Hi I´m Vivianne

I guess I go back to mystery reading since nancy Drew a loooong time ago, been at it since. I read english and spanish, and for now I´m going through the James Patterson ones. There´s no  better way of getting your mind of things than a good mystery.

Contributor
trschi
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Taya, I live near Hartford, CT, and am new to FL.  I am really excited to be part of this group, mostly becuase (as Lil_Irish_Lass wrote) "... it forces me to read outside of my comfort zone and experience new authors and writing styles".  Could not have expressed that sentiment better!

Inspired Contributor
ambika22
0 Kudos

Hi everybody! Im from Spain (it seems im the only one not living in US for now) and i love mistery books, I have read tons of them and im really looking forward to read this one. I havent heard of the author, but i always like to try something new.

I hope we can enjoy this reading experience together!

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Barb.  I live in Central New York and always enjoy a good murder/mystery.  Hope to get in on this FL, sounds like a good one!

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Cathy from central NJ. Always love a good mystery ... this looks great. As usual, another interesting selection from the folks at B&N.

Hope to see you all in the discussion. :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Susan from Southern California, and this is definitely my genre.  I'm a die-hard mystery fan from way back.  I have many favorite authors, but Michael Connelly is at the top of my best-loved-authors list. 

This will be my 2nd 'first look' experience, and am so happy to be included and involved.

Have a great day,

Susan

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~