Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

debbaker wrote:

Thanks Pen for answering this. I was going to post about Paul's message from yesterday but got distracted by a dog that needed walking. We will hear soon I am sure. I am forcing myself not to read anymore until the schedule is here.

I tried to wait but once I started reading the book, the next thing I knew, I was finished.  Good story and an easy read.

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Aine. Although I have tried to remember the first mystery I ever read, I have only a vague recollection of reading Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie. Now mysteries are my favorite books to read. "The Poacher's Son" is going to be a very good read, indeed.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Linda from Kansas City. I'm excited to be part of this discussion. Mystery/thrillers are my most favorite books. I think that this one will be fun to discuss.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Contributor
brennalee
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Brenna, I am from Michigan, and I have grown up in a rather rural area, many of the characters from this book remind me of people I know which I got a chuckle out of. Overall  I love thriller type books, mysteries as well so long as they are not bogged down by old antiquated plots and notions lol. And I must say, having just finished this ARC tonight, I am pleased that this book did not fail with predictability where many other authors have. This is an excellent read :smileyhappy: I am looking forward to the reading schedule for discussion!

"Books may well be the only true magic." Alice Hoffman
B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

Hi.  I am a Merch Manager at a B&N store in Houston, Texas.  I have been a part of the First Look program for several books now and am really enjoying the program.  The Poacher's Son is a great addition to the club and a perfect beginning to the mystery grouping.  I got the book and couldn't put it down until I was done.  What a page turner! :smileyhappy:I am a voracious reader and it is so great when you get a book that grabs you like this one does.

I am looking forward to the discussions ahead.

Dana W.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

jb70 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Let me clarify - despite my "moderator" tag, I'm not the moderator for THIS board. As Debbie has mentioned, I moderate Mystery. I also moderate Garden -- stop by and visit me sometime. Here, I'm an eager participant.

How did you become  a moderator?  What does that involve?

I've been with B&N for almost 9 years - started out writing and teaching garden courses for their online university back in the day. I just stayed on when they changed to the book club format.
As of today the Garden Book Club is no more. We're focusing the garden content at B&N's Garden Variety blog now.

Reader
katieIam
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Katie.  I'm new to FL and so excited to be participating.  I was a mystery lover several years ago, but have turned to other genres more recently.  I would not have chosen The Poacher's Son for myself, so I'm incredibly thankful that someone urged me in its direction.

New User
Fl_bookworm
0 Kudos

Good Afternoon,  I'm Liz and I've been hooked on mystery/suspense novels since I picked up that first Nancy Drew book. 

I reside in Florida and like most avid readers hope to one day find the book that is hiding inside of me.  For now I'm enjoying the writers of some favorite authors and discovering some new ones.  I love getting lost in a book. 

"So many books, so little time"

Reader
ameadows55
0 Kudos

Hello. My name is Anne and I'm from Charleston, WV. I've always enjoyed reading books featuring muder and mayhem--a side effect from teaching high school! I'm very excited to get started in my very first Mystery First Look.

Reader 2
kemondNH
0 Kudos

I'm Kathy and I read everything. I live in North Carolina, which is a great place to live, especially after 23 years in New Hampshire. I grew up in New York City, and spent many summers in Maine, so I was attracted to this book by the setting. I hope to be included in other First Look books.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Hi,

I took the book with me on my travels and could not stop reading at the appointed place. It is a catchy story and I didn't want to put it down. I suspect I will finish before the assigned time since I have already read at least half and I am dying to continue. Maybe there will be a thread for those who have read further on.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

vtcozy wrote:  Welcome..to our FirstLook Mystery. Post any questions you want in the Community Room if you need any help..or whatever you want to discuss..I have been too and through WV and it so beautiful..Just like Maine,I think all of that Wilderness brings us all closer together.Enjoy..Susan.
ameadows55 wrote:

Hello. My name is Anne and I'm from Charleston, WV. I've always enjoyed reading books featuring muder and mayhem--a side effect from teaching high school! I'm very excited to get started in my very first Mystery First Look.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
Shaggy68
0 Kudos

Hello I am Sheila and I live in New Hampshire.  I love a good mystery with suspense.   Thank you Paul for such a great read!

Contributor
EMILY7W
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm a 28 yr old mother of three. Mysteries and thrillers are my favorites. I'm a big fan of Natsuo Kirino's novels.
I try to make time at night for reading. If I'm reading a book that doesn't really hold my interest, I try to get through it just incase it's going to get better. But sometimes it loses out to hanging out with husband or sleep! :robothappy: 

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Sheila. Welcome to the FL group! I hope you enjoy the book and discussion. :smileyhappy:

Shaggy68 wrote:

Hello I am Sheila and I live in New Hampshire.  I love a good mystery with suspense.   Thank you Paul for such a great read!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Kathy, Welcome to the FL group! We're glad you are here. :smileywink:

kemondNH wrote:
I'm Kathy and I read everything. I live in North Carolina, which is a great place to live, especially after 23 years in New Hampshire. I grew up in New York City, and spent many summers in Maine, so I was attracted to this book by the setting. I hope to be included in other First Look books.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the FL group, Anne! I hope you enjoy the book and the discussion.  :smileywink:

ameadows55 wrote:

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Liz. Welcome to the FL group! It's good to have you with us. :smileywink:

Fl_bookworm wrote:

Good Afternoon,  I'm Liz and I've been hooked on mystery/suspense novels since I picked up that first Nancy Drew book. 

I reside in Florida and like most avid readers hope to one day find the book that is hiding inside of me.  For now I'm enjoying the writers of some favorite authors and discovering some new ones.  I love getting lost in a book. 

"So many books, so little time"

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Welcome to the FL group, Katie! Isn't it great to have friends that share books!  :smileyhappy:

katieIam wrote:

Hi, I'm Katie.  I'm new to FL and so excited to be participating.  I was a mystery lover several years ago, but have turned to other genres more recently.  I would not have chosen The Poacher's Son for myself, so I'm incredibly thankful that someone urged me in its direction.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Emily. Welcome to the FL group! I hope you enjoy the book and discussion. :smileywink:

EMILY7W wrote:

Hi. I'm a 28 yr old mother of three. Mysteries and thrillers are my favorites. I'm a big fan of Natsuo Kirino's novels.
I try to make time at night for reading. If I'm reading a book that doesn't really hold my interest, I try to get through it just incase it's going to get better. But sometimes it loses out to hanging out with husband or sleep! :robothappy: