Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Sally, welcome to the FL group. It's good to have you with us. :smileyhappy:

Sally_K wrote:
Hi Kim, I'm from NH and am an avid reader as well. This is also my first First Look participation. I'm excited this mystry takes place in our backyard. Looking forward to the book and the discussions. Sally=

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Sara, living in Iowa. This is my favorite genre and can't wait to read it. This is my second first look book, and it should be interesting.

~Sara~
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Katie in Charlottesville, Virginia. I've participated in most of the First Look discussions and have made a point of reading the other First Look selections (my favorites have been

The Monsters of Templeton,

The House at Riverton,

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, and

Under This Unbroken Sky. Of those four, I only got to participate in Deliverance Dane, so that might say something about the way I'm picking which ones to sign up for! I'm really looking forward to a murder mystery First Look. This genre is one of my favorites. Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers are some of my favorite mystery authors, although recently I've been enjoying Margaret Frazer's and Jacqueline Winspear's work.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I have read all of the selections you mentioned and my top two favorites are "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane," and "The House at Riverton." It is fun to follow the authors too. I love to read their next books.  :smileywink:

krb2g wrote:

Hi, I'm Katie in Charlottesville, Virginia. I've participated in most of the First Look discussions and have made a point of reading the other First Look selections (my favorites have been

The House at Riverton,

Under This Unbroken Sky. Of those four, I only got to participate in Deliverance Dane, so that might say something about the way I'm picking which ones to sign up for! I'm really looking forward to a murder mystery First Look. This genre is one of my favorites. Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers are some of my favorite mystery authors, although recently I've been enjoying Margaret Frazer's and Jacqueline Winspear's work.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

trschi wrote:

Hi! My name is Taya, I live near Hartford, CT, and am new to FL.  I am really excited to be part of this group, mostly becuase (as Lil_Irish_Lass wrote) "... it forces me to read outside of my comfort zone and experience new authors and writing styles".  Could not have expressed that sentiment better!

Thanks Taya! I tend to pigeon-hole myself with novels; which is fine, because I love what I read, but a breath of fresh air is nice every now and again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Hello, all :smileyhappy: 

This looks to be quite a departure from the last few FLBCs.  I can tell Paul is excited already :smileyvery-happy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Hi Paul and Readers,

Just coming up on my first-year anniversary with First Look Book Club, and I have missed a few selections, but the ones I've participated in have been tremendous.  I really think this book will be joining that classification!

I, too, love mysteries and it's the perfect time of year here in Pittsburgh, to cuddle up on the couch with a nice cup of tea, a comfy throw and a great mystery!  Completing the picture would be a roaring fire and a soft snowfall outside, but I can only guarantee the couch, the tea and the book!

Hoping to be selected---this one sounds like a great selection, Paul!

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
wjbauer
0 Kudos

Hi
My name is Wayne Bauer and I live in Longmont, Co... I love mysteries and am looking forward to this book.

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Paul,

Your initial post here brings up a question I have had, but keep forgetting to ask the moderators. 

Who picks the selections?  Just wondering if the moderators have a list to select from or how that works?

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I loved "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane".  I'm currently reading "Tirissa and the Necklace of Nulidor" by Willow and listening to "The Messenger" by Lois Lowry
DSaff wrote:

I have read all of the selections you mentioned and my top two favorites are "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane," and "The House at Riverton." It is fun to follow the authors too. I love to read their next books.  :smileywink:

krb2g wrote:

The House at Riverton,

dhaupt
0 Kudos

lilk wrote:

I see many of you have your confirmations. I followed the directions right at 7am and still have not received a confirmation.  What have I done wrong?

lilk, Hi. If you've followed directions then don't worry. I signed up right at noon ET and I haven't got a confirmation yet and I'm not worried, they'll get to us

Frequent Contributor
lilk
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information.  I'm Hawaii standard time so noon ET is 7AM here.

Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

http://thebookendsreviews.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just this minute got confirmed. Yay!!

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Hi everyone my name is Gail Marie, and I live in Spanaway-Graham, Washington. I have been reading mystery for a very long time and since I have been in college since September I haven't been reading as many books as I would like to. Have always enjoyed reading all of the posts and seeing how many people like the same types of books that I do. Hope to read you all great post. Great reading!!!!

Reader 2
ranna
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Arianna

This is the first time I've ever joined FL and I'm quite excited to read this book!

Frequent Contributor
lilk
0 Kudos

Just checked my message and I am now confirmed.  I'm soooo excited!!!

Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

http://thebookendsreviews.com
Inspired Contributor
nymazz
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm nymazz AKA Lynette. This will be my second time participating, the book sounds great.  I was very nervous the first time, didn't know what to expect, but it was great fun. Can't wait to get started.

Thanks Paul!

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. -Mason Cooley-
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, all....My name is KathyS, and I'm looking forward to returning/participating on this new First Look Mystery selection.  I love reading new authors.

I live is Southern California, a ways south-east of L.A., The Inland Empire, as it's called. My residence is in a semi-retired community, which means, even if you're retired, there is always something to keep you busy!  I volunteer my time as the graphics designer and printer of all of our social club's event tickets and posters, and when I'm not doing that, I sing with a group, which is part of a Variety Club program.  I attend and help at our local college, where I play in the mud. I'm a potter.  I've had my hands in dirt for 25 years.  After I wash them, I write.  I have two beautiful grown daughters, and two grandchildren, Emma 8, and Evan 6, the little lights of my life.

And then, I somehow work-in reading, or trying to stay out of trouble on the B&NBCs!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

Frequent Contributor
RS18
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Rosa. I'm from Houston, TX. I believe this will be my fifth first look. I'm finishing up Eternal on the Water, and can't wait to get started on Before I Fall. I love B&N's first look program! I've read some great books that I may not have picked up on my own. I love suspense/thriller stories...whether it's a book or movie. It's my favorite. I haven't read a suspense/thriller book in a long time, so I'm very excited to dive back into it with this book. Sounds like a good one!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Paul,

Your initial post here brings up a question I have had, but keep forgetting to ask the moderators. 

Who picks the selections?  Just wondering if the moderators have a list to select from or how that works?

Barb

It's just me pouring over publisher catalogs and reading, reading, reading...