Rachel-K
0 Kudos

"Our" Investigation

When Charley says to Sally that Mike is helping with "Our investigation," is he referring to the Maine Wardens?

Whose investigation is this?

Were you shocked by what Charlie was saying to Tripp and to Truman about what had already happened in the investigation that Mike didn't know about?

How do you think Truman got his scar?

The list of suspects from one of the previous threads is fascinating. Who do you suspect most, and why?

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Re: "Our" Investigation

When Charley says to Sally that Mike is helping with "Our investigation," is he referring to the Maine Wardens? I think he means the law inforcement in general.

Whose investigation is this? Honestly it doesn't seem like the police are doing a very good job at this. It's like they have tunnel vision. They're convince Jack is guilty, so they're not looking any further than they have too.

The list of suspects from one of the previous threads is fascinating. Who do you suspect most, and why? I actually stink at trying to figure stuff like this out. It's why I enjoy mysteries so much, half the time I'm surprised in the end. I'm not much of a sleuth. I will say a part of me suspects Charley but I have no reasons to back that up, just a feeling. A feeling I hope is wrong because I really like that character.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

This is an interesting thread ,Rachel..I have alredy finished the book,but of course "NO SPOILERS"     I do believe he was referring to the "Wardens" investigation,so she wouldn't suspect anything else..Just in case she knew something....At this point its Charleys and Mike is there to kind of keep everyone on there toes,so to speak...,Charley can retrive information that the Wardens can't  he just has that way about  him and he is trusted..Charley was amazing..He knew he could say anything to them,and he knew what signs to look for ..They are very transparent in his presence.Ah, the scar..Probably Jack,but I wouldn't put it past Brenda,especially if he tried hurting her or worse..She could hold her own...Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff

Charlie is still "one of the guys" even though retired, so seems to feel connected to the investigation. He knows the parties involved and appears to want to get to the truth. However, I found myself suspecting him while reading this section, and that made me sad. Charlie is a good guy to me, but events may have conspired against him, causing him to do something he wouldn't do otherwise. He was at the meeting because he too would lose his place in the woods. He also knew everything about what happened afterward, even though he said he left before the meeting got out. I worry that because of the potential loss of his place and activities, his wheelchair bound wife, and anger have put Charlie on my suspect list. I totally hope I am wrong!!!

Others on my suspect list are: Mike's stepfather (for reasons I mentioned before), Tripp and Truman may be involved, and I have added B.J. to the list. I think Brenda knows more about this and has a lot of anger because of the way she has been treated. The fear of losing her place with Mike's dad may have pushed her over the edge. I hope I am wrong about her too. Some of the suspects are too easy, but they may be the culprets.

I think Truman got his scar from B.J. I think they had a huge fight and she won. This is something I hope we discover in the last section of the book.  :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
0 Kudos

I admit I did suspect Charley for a little while until Mike went to his house and met his wife then that changed think Charley has really been there for Mike he didn't need to tell let him on what the investigators have on Jack.

I think the police feel it is their investigation but Charley feels this is a warden investigation because one of "their own" is involved in it.

I'm not sure if someone( BJ or Jack) gave Truman the scar or if he was drunk and it was an accident.

My biggest suspects have been,Russ,Tripp and Truman, and BJ she's hiding something that Mike wasn't able to find out when he talked to her.

Frequent Contributor
vpenning
0 Kudos

I think Truman got his scar from BJ. I think he was sexually abusing her, and she fought back and injured him.

I suspect the police officers that also knew about the change of route, as well as still think that Truman and Pelliter have something to do with it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah, we're nearing the end of the mystery and the plot thickens. And I'm still reading on schedule I have only read through chapter 25.

I read a post last week or the week before where someone called this a coming of age story, and now I can see where that is true, the more we learn about Mike and the more we're exposed to him and his ways shows us just how young he is and how his actions and re-actions come from immaturity and haste.

Now on to the questions:

When Charley says to Sally that Mike is helping with "Our investigation," is he referring to the Maine Wardens?

I thinks Charley is referring to the Official investigation when he tells Sally that Mike is helping, after all Charley is also involved with the official investigation.

Were you shocked by what Charlie was saying to Tripp and to Truman about what had already happened in the investigation that Mike didn't know about?

So far this whole convoluted mystery is shocking, the more we find out about the whole thing the more mysteries it seems we have left to solve. So no I wasn't shocked by Charlie's revelation

I think Brenda did it.

The list of suspects from one of the previous threads is fascinating. Who do you suspect most, and why?

Well the suspect pot is nearly full and boiling away, but I think Jack did it and at this point I'm not sure why except that all the other suspects are so one dimensional and some are very simple minded, a product of their surroundings and upbringings and Jack is a very complicated character and there is still a lot we have to answered for me to believe anything else.

Frequent Contributor
momofprecious1
0 Kudos

I was suspicious of Mike's friendship with Charley. I couldn't understand why Charley was sharing so much information with Mike. There were times that I felt like if Charley was just trying to get information out of Mike because he thought that Mike knew more about his father's where abouts then he was saying. I started to feel a bit more comfortable when Charley took Mike to his house and introduced him to his wife. To me it felt like Charley became the father figure that Mike never had.

I must admit that I already finished the book, (I won't spoil it for anyone) I believe that Mike's dad is being setup by someone.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I think Charley is trying to saw the law enforcement officials are handling the case.

Truman is a really unbalanced character. It seems to me that he gets ticked off at any subject brought up to him. He is confronted by Charley and Mike about the scar and says a chainsaw broke and hit him. But is that believable? More than likely, Brenda did it somehow.

I had my list of suspects earlier but I finished the book and cannot speak on this thread about suspects. But I will say it was a bizarre ending!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
mgorbatjuk
0 Kudos

I think for Sally's benefit he's implying that it's Law Enforcement that is handling the case. I think because he is retired and just helping when asked-I think for Charlie's benefit he wants it to be his and Mikes investigation. Because this is a mystery I'm wondering if Deputy Brodeur might not have something to do with the murder. Whether it's to set Mike's dad up to get back at him for something we don't know about yet. He just seems to have an involvement that we don't know about yet.

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

No, I think Charley is referring to the investigation by Law Enforcement.

I think it is a Law Enforcement investigation although there are others who are assisting with it.

I wasn't shocked by what Charley said to Tripp and Truman but I wondered if he had some hidden agenda.

I think Truman got his scar from B.J.-that they got into some kind of fight when she was in her early teens.

I suspect Tripp or Truman at this point of the story but I am beginning to wonder about B.J. and if she had anything to do with the murder. I am not sure why, it is just a feeling.

CAG
Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn
0 Kudos

The helping with "our investigation" statement implies the Maine Wardens but I think Sally already suspected something and she and Charlie had already discussed something so this is Charlie's way of letting Sally know that Mike's ok to give info to.

The investigation I believe is Charlies & Sally because they know something is going on that is being totally missed by the authorities.

I wasn't shocked that Mike didn't know all the details of this investigation because he was having a hard time getting anyone to tell him anything. They didn't want him know all because they suspected him of helping his Dad or at the very least they knew or felt he was on his Dad's side.

I was really suspecting Truman and that he was setting Jack up. I also thought that Truman got his scar from fighting w/ Jack.

Correspondent
T-Mo
0 Kudos

I thought the same thing! I couldn't help but wonder if he didn't somehow spill the beans about the last-minute plans to take Shipman to Sugarloaf. I think either he or Sally had something to do with this. Considering that only a handful of people knew about this, one of them had to spill it so that the ambush could be set-up. Although, Charlie did know about this change in plans as well, and as other's have stated, he does have a lot to lose. I didn't originally suspect him in this manner until I read the other posts, and thinking back, I can really see how he could be considered a suspect. He has a lot to lose, and why would he be chauffeuring Mike around. It's certainly not because he thinks Jack is innocent. 

mgorbatjuk wrote:

I think for Sally's benefit he's implying that it's Law Enforcement that is handling the case. I think because he is retired and just helping when asked-I think for Charlie's benefit he wants it to be his and Mikes investigation. Because this is a mystery I'm wondering if Deputy Brodeur might not have something to do with the murder. Whether it's to set Mike's dad up to get back at him for something we don't know about yet. He just seems to have an involvement that we don't know about yet.

Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

I suspect that Charley knows more about what happened than he is saying. He knew exactly where to take Mike to show him the clues and who he needed to talk to. I think "our investigation" is something outside of law enforcement. Maybe he is working with Jack. I really like Charley. He's a pretty savvy character.

Truman and Pelletier are high on my list of suspects because of the description of how the murders were committed. Twombley is involved somehow. His behavior is too suspicious.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Contributor
skrupp

I think Charley means Mike and himself.  While the police seems to be trying I think Charley knows the characters involved with this having worked as a Warden.  I think he wants to figure things out because he doesn't get the motivation behind the murders if it was Jack. 

There was definately some shockers coming out with Charley asking the questions because he knows more than Mike.  I think Truman got his scar from Jack or someone else and I don't think it was an accident.  But as far as suspects go, Brenda seems to have enough anger but I don't think she has the guts to do anything, plus motive.  Pelletier has a good motive and anger, but I don't know.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I was surprised by how helpful and kind Charley was toward Mike. After all, people closer to him didn't seem to cut him any slack under the circumstances. They all turned against him and didn't forgive him his lapses in judgment, considering what he was going through.
I thought Charley was trying to do a little detective work on his own, while he helped Mike to work out his own thoughts about what happened. That said, I still think that maybe Charley could be involved in the coverup or in the crime...he has a strong motive with his wife's disability and the loss of his home coming down the pike.

Something tells me there might also be a police cover up of some kind. The cops were too quick to judge Mike for his father's crime, like they needed a scapegoat.

I think that BJ gave Truman his scar because he tried to hurt her in some way and she couldn't take it anymore. I have a vivid imagination!:smileywink:

Rachel-K wrote:

Correspondent
LadyMin
0 Kudos

When Charley says to Sally that Mike is helping with "Our investigation," is he referring to the Maine Wardens?  I took that to mean the official law enforcement investigation.

Were you shocked by what Charlie was saying to Tripp and to Truman about what had already happened in the investigation that Mike didn't know about?  No. Mike is having a lot of trouble getting information. Most everyone except Charley is keeping him out of the loop.

How do you think Truman got his scar? I think it was from a fight with Jack. I hadn't considered BJ until some of the other readers brought it up. 

The list of suspects from one of the previous threads is fascinating. Who do you suspect most, and why? I was starting to suspect Charley but I just can't bring myself to believe he would do it. Sometimes the most unlikely person is the guilty one.  It's also possible that more than one person is involved and they decided it would be easier to frame someone that not a lot of people like and make it go away. Charley definitely knows more than he is saying, and I suspect he knows who really did it.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

There are a lot of people in this story with axes to grind.  When you have that many ticked-off folks anyone could be a suspect.  The only thing for certain is Mike didn't do it.

I can't decide if there is one person behind all of this or if this is a conspiracy with one mastermind behind it.  It seems like there are quite a few crooked cops around.  Twombley especially bothers me.

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Whose investigation is this?  I love these two questions.  I read the "our investigation" and wondered but kept on reading.  This takes me back to really think.  I think he is meaning the community's investigation.  Not the police and not the game wardens.  It feels like Charley is taking this on a direction all his own and taking Mike right along with him.  I like Charley.  He fits in with the other Northern Maine male characters in that he does things his own way and not necessarily according to the book.

The list of suspects from one of the previous threads is fascinating. Who do you suspect most, and why?  I haven't read all of the posts yet so I haven't seen  this list of suspects.  For me this question says it all-  What a great author!  I am so caught up in this story that I have no idea who to suspect.  I've been letting Mike lead me and am so confused right now since the men he thought might have done it, now all have been eliminated.  I think I will be as surprised as Mike when he finds out.

Inspired Correspondent
jb70

vpenning wrote:

I think Truman got his scar from BJ. I think he was sexually abusing her, and she fought back and injured him.

I suspect the police officers that also knew about the change of route, as well as still think that Truman and Pelliter have something to do with it.

I thought the scar might be the same thing, or that he was abusing her and Jack is the one who gave him the scar which is why he is against both of them now.  It might also play into Brenda's story that it was her dad who is responsible, even if he isn't, because she wants to see him punnished and it could play into her drinking and current situation with Jack.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/