Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

About the First Look Book Club

Do you have questions about the First Look program? Here are the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.

What is the First Look Book Club?
This is a unique opportunity to enroll in a private discussion with an author, and to talk to other readers about a book that won't be released for a few months. We'll send you an Advance Reading Copy -- for free! -- in time for the book club. In other words, you can be the first to get the scoop on the next great book, long before it ever hits the shelves!

How do I sign up?
Once we have a First Look selection, we'll make an announcement in the B&N Book Clubs, and open the enrollment period. If you are enrolled in one month's First Look Book Club, you're not automatically enrolled in the next one. Because quantities of ARCs are limited, each First Look Book Club will have it's own enrollment. That's the only way to ensure that everyone will have a chance to participate. Instructions on how to enroll for each club are posted with each announcement.

What exactly is an Advance Reading Copy?
An Advance Reading Copy, or ARC, is an uncorrected paperback edition created by publishers for distribution to booksellers and the media a few months before the actual publication of a new book. The ARC you'll receive will look very much like the final version of the book. It'll have all the text, and usually all the photos, illustrations, and front matter included in the finished book.

Do I have to pay for shipping?
No. The ARC -- and the shipping -- is free to you. The book will be delivered from one of our warehouses, but will not go through our normal order path and therefore will not be listed as an "order" on your Barnes & Noble.com shopping account.

When will I get my free Advance Reading Copy?
Once enrollment starts, we will alert you to when the ARCs will ship. It can take up to two weeks to get your free book.

What happens if you run out of books?
We will be monitoring demand closely, and hope to have enough books for everyone. But quantities are limited, and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Only one book per account, per person, please. If we run out of books, we'll post a message to the board, and close the enrollment period.

How do I find out about future First Look selections? Can I enroll right now?
Sorry, there's no pre-enrollment. Stay tuned to our Announcements board for news about our next First Look book club. Along with the announcement, we'll also post instructions on how to enroll.

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Hi Paul,

Wasn't sure where to address this, but I was wondering if there will be a First Look book for November.   ?????

Thanks,

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Hi Paul,

Wasn't sure where to address this, but I was wondering if there will be a First Look book for November.   ?????

Thanks,

Barb

Not November, no. We'll be taking sign ups for the next club at the beginning of December. Thanks.

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I guess I posted my last question in the wrong thread.  Will the sign ups at teh beginning of Dec. be for a January club?

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

That's correct.

jb70 wrote:

I guess I posted my last question in the wrong thread.  Will the sign ups at teh beginning of Dec. be for a January club?

Contributor
The_Book_Queen
0 Kudos

Sorry if this question should be in another thread...

But I was wondering when the next Teen First Look will be? I, unfortunately, didn't find the Teen one until well after the closing date for requests, but I'm eager to see what books will be chosen for future books-- I'm assuming that the Teen's First Look will be a semi-regular club much like this one?

Thanks!

TBQ

Contributor
Murphy64
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could help me figure out why I can't post anything to The Postmistress Bookclub?  I signed up and got my copy of the book, but everytime I go into the section with all the comments, the NEW MESSAGE button in the top left hand corner of the screen is greyed out....can't click on it.  I can go into general areas and post messages, just not The Postmistress Bookclub area.  I love the book and want to participate.  Help please!!

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Murphy64,
I am not sure what you mean by "general areas" vs. The Postmistress Bookclub area", but if you were able to post in this thread you should be able to post in the others, except the two that have little locks right next to the picture on the left. Yes, the NEW MESSAGE button in the top left hand corner of the screen is greyed out...and you can't click on it. But you don't need it.
Just pick any thread and click on it (the way you must have clicked on "About the First Look Book Club" to write your message.) Then you start reading. If you want to post answers to Rachel's questions, (first post of a thread) click on reply (bottom right of her post). If you want to comment on somebody else's post, click reply on that particular post.
So that we are able to see which post you answered you will want to click on QUOTE (the green box on the right above your reply text.) This will copy the original text. You may leave it whole or delete parts of it if you want to clarify which part you are answering. You may put the quote above or below your answer. I think we are divided on this; some of us feel that a reply is easier to read if it is above the quote; others want to keep the order of response intact and reply at the bottom.
I hope I understood your problem correctly and this is of help.

Murphy64 wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could help me figure out why I can't post anything to The Postmistress Bookclub?  I signed up and got my copy of the book, but everytime I go into the section with all the comments, the NEW MESSAGE button in the top left hand corner of the screen is greyed out....can't click on it.  I can go into general areas and post messages, just not The Postmistress Bookclub area.  I love the book and want to participate.  Help please!!

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

The_Book_Queen wrote:

Sorry if this question should be in another thread...

But I was wondering when the next Teen First Look will be? I, unfortunately, didn't find the Teen one until well after the closing date for requests, but I'm eager to see what books will be chosen for future books-- I'm assuming that the Teen's First Look will be a semi-regular club much like this one?

Thanks!

TBQ

We're working on picking the next selection now. Stay tuned...

Contributor
Murphy64
0 Kudos

Thank you!  I think I've got it now :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Murphy64
0 Kudos

Thank you!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

What thread should I subscribe to for the Teen First Look Club......I fell between the cracks with the Postmistress,but was overjoyed to  read,discuss and love Hush,Hush..Also The First Look Club,Adultish, next selection will be posted when. Thanks,  Vermont Cozy

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
BOOKWORM1414
0 Kudos

Where will I find information regarding the December selection for First Look Book Club.  I do not want to miss it.  The last selection The Postmistress was my first time. I truly enjoyed the experience.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

BOOKWORM1414 wrote:

Where will I find information regarding the December selection for First Look Book Club.  I do not want to miss it.  The last selection The Postmistress was my first time. I truly enjoyed the experience.

You'll find the announcement under the Community board under the Announcements thread, and then also there usually is an announcement about the new selection right here in the First Look Club board.