Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Community Room

Feel free to chat away on subjects that do or don't relate to First Look. Read anything great (or not so) lately? Tell us about it here!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

What are you reading now?

Hi Everyone,

One of the things I love about the B&N book clubs is the book suggestions I find. So, in honor of that, I thought I would ask what everyone was reading now and what you might be planning to read while awaiting our new FL book. I am finishing up "The Help," and "Fearless" right now. I have so many on my TBR list that I haven't decided what is next yet. Maybe "The Poe Shadow" or something by Agatha Christie. What about you?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

Hi Everyone:

I too love the First Look BC and all the suggestions.  However, my book list keeps growing and it will take me lifetimes to try to get through it!:smileywink:

I'm currently reading:  The Day the Falls Stood Still which is the B&N Recommended book.  It's fantastic and I'm loving it and can't put it down.

Anna

Contributor
kolsonheld
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

My 'to be read' pile has never been bigger thanks to the suggestions I see on here! I just finished The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, which was an earlier First Look pick, I think. For those of you who haven't read it yet, it's wonderful! I'm hoping to tackle a few of those waiting on my shelf before The Postmistress...

Karin
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would ask what everyone was reading now and what you might be planning to read while awaiting our new FL book.

--------------------------------------------

Boy, am I glad you asked that question Donna!  I just finished The Day  the Falls stood Still and highly  recommend it.  Almost done with The Lost City of Z.  Books like this one remind me why  I love to read so much!  It takes me places I will never, ever go.  When I'm not reading recommended books I work on my TBR's which I've put  in alphabetical order by author and hope to knock  'em off  one by  one.  Happy  reading everybody.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

I recently finished The Blue Notebook and am currently reading When Rabbit Howls.  The next one in the chute is The Nazi Officer's Wife

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Inspired Contributor
pode
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is my 5th First Look book.  My favorite by far was Of Bees and Mists.

I just finished a wonderful, old book--A Lantern in her Hands.  It's a story about the life of a woman (starting when she's eight) born in 1846 in Chicago.  Her famiy moves to Iowa and when she marries, she moves to Nebraska.

There's lots of history but also alot about the thoughts and concerns of a woman.  Published in 1928 originally there are many parallels to life today.   I read some of the reviews of the book and  younger women (you can often tell by their name--Melissa, Jennifer, etc) saw this book as just another book about the pioneers of 150 years ago.  Being an older woman myself I wonder if it helps to be older to really connect with this story by being able to "look back" on life.

Another nice thing about this book--the author didn't feel the need to include gruesome details.  I find that particularly annoying about some of our contemporary books.  Seems like some authors have gone the way of the movies and need to be too graphic and include too much sensational stuff (abuse, incest).  I realize that's been part of life probably forever but I'm tired of hearing it in detail. 

pode

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher
Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS
0 Kudos

PaulH,

I just sent the email to sign up but forgot to include my phone number. Would it be better to send another email with my phone number or just leave it the way it is? Thanks!

I was just so excited for the next first look book I clicked send to fast!!

Emily

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

I'm finishng Mercury in Retrograde and Saffron Dreams. Then I am going to read The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel.

Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS
0 Kudos

Paul H,

I just sent the email to sign up for the next book and I was so excited that I pushed send before adding my phone number. Should I send another email or will it be okay? I have had other first look books sent to this address.

Thanks,

Emily

Contributor
Wilson54

Hi All,

Like many of you, my nightstands, Bookcase headboard and bedroom bookcases are full of TBR.  Plus, I set a goal last year to read all Pulitzer prize winners in Fiction.  I am half was through Michael Chabon's " The amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay".  I am enthralled and find myself sneaking in reading time - even waiting in line at the grocery store yesterday.

Before that "Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpra Lahiri.  A series of short stories.  I would have loved to spend more time with nearly every character yet felt as though they were close friends.

Carole
(wilson54)
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone

I'm thrill to have found First Look; my book-shelves overflow with wonderful reads. Recently I won a book from www.goodreads.com and am reading it while waiting for October's FL; The Neurology of Angels by Krista Tibbs. Once I got all the characters in place, I found it an interesting read about the business and politics behind the scenes of developing the medicines we use today. 

Cora

The Neurology Of Angels     

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi Wilson

An interesting goal, I've been collecting different literature to read but have not set a goal as specific as this. You give me ideas, could be dangerous to my pocketbook,  :smileyhappy:

Enjoy

Cora

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm reading 

Drums of Autumn (Outlander Series #4)  

and

Vanity Fair (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Send another PM, Emily. Thanks!

GadgetgirlKS wrote:

Paul H,

I just sent the email to sign up for the next book and I was so excited that I pushed send before adding my phone number. Should I send another email or will it be okay? I have had other first look books sent to this address.

Thanks,

Emily

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I enjoy Good Reads too, Cora, and have won some books. I am awaiting "Draegon Taymerx: Book 1: The Secret of Aejution."

Coral50 wrote:

Hi Everyone

I'm thrill to have found First Look; my book-shelves overflow with wonderful reads. Recently I won a book from www.goodreads.com and am reading it while waiting for October's FL; The Neurology of Angels by Krista Tibbs. Once I got all the characters in place, I found it an interesting read about the business and politics behind the scenes of developing the medicines we use today. 

Cora

The Neurology Of Angels     

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Wilson54
0 Kudos

Hi Cora,

The good thing is lots of the Pulitzer prize winners are very inexpensive used and of course, there is always the library.  I am lucky because my sister, niece and newphew's wife and I swap books.  Thus leading to the overloaded bookshelves as they are much faster readers than I.  Plus, it feels like you are getting your money's worth if four or more people are reading a book.

Carole
(wilson54)
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

HELP!  I'd love to sign up to read this book, but I can't get the envelope to show up!

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Sheltiemama wrote:

HELP!  I'd love to sign up to read this book, but I can't get the envelope to show up!

Did you sign in on the announcements page? 

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom