Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Never mind. The envelope finally showed up, and I've signed up. : )

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

I did, and after several times, it finally worked. Everything in that little box except the envelope was showing up. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

I just can't get it together today. I'm going to resend my request, because I put a line in my first one saying how much I enjoyed the last First Look book. Do you get the feeling I really want to read this book? Please bear with me, Paul.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon Everyone,

While we await the arrival of "The Postmistress", I have been reading Apocalypse Dawn, by Mel Odom,  which I have been reading for a while, and will finish it up probably this week, and I am also currently reading "Called To Worship", by Vernon Whaley.  I too have a growing TBR list. 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

I just finished Hush, hush :-)    and need to get over there and post!  as far as what else am I reading? In the Heart of the Sea; the story of the whaleship Essex ,  by Nathaniel Philbrick.   Kinda in the middle of re-reading North and South by John Jakes.  My TBR pile has grown quite large since joining First Look!  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy

pode wrote:

Hi,

This is my 5th First Look book.  My favorite by far was Of Bees and Mists.

I just finished a wonderful, old book--A Lantern in her Hands.  It's a story about the life of a woman (starting when she's eight) born in 1846 in Chicago.  Her famiy moves to Iowa and when she marries, she moves to Nebraska.

There's lots of history but also alot about the thoughts and concerns of a woman.  Published in 1928 originally there are many parallels to life today.   I read some of the reviews of the book and  younger women (you can often tell by their name--Melissa, Jennifer, etc) saw this book as just another book about the pioneers of 150 years ago.  Being an older woman myself I wonder if it helps to be older to really connect with this story by being able to "look back" on life.

Another nice thing about this book--the author didn't feel the need to include gruesome details.  I find that particularly annoying about some of our contemporary books.  Seems like some authors have gone the way of the movies and need to be too graphic and include too much sensational stuff (abuse, incest).  I realize that's been part of life probably forever but I'm tired of hearing it in detail. 

pode

Pode,

I am delighted that you have read A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich. This is one of my my most favorite books and favorite authors. Bess Streeter Aldrich is a Nebraska author who lived in Elmwood, about 20 miles from my hometown of Murray. Her home is now a museum. I read the book the first time when I was in the 4th grade, and I've lost track of the number of times I've reread it. Of course, I liked it because it took place where I grew up, but it is also an accurate history of Nebraska pioneer life. Aldrich didn't gain the fame of Cather, but I've always preferred her books. You will want to read the sequel A White Bird Flying. I like it better, but I recommend any of her books.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Contributor
BSC42
0 Kudos

HI!

My son is going post-secondary his senior year of highschool and his college English class is reading The Giver.  I am borrowing it and going to read it along with him!

JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

I am finishing up Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series. There are only 3 so far but she just got approval to begin the 4th book. They are Silent in the Grave, Silent in the Sanctuary & the one I am just finishing, Silent on the Moor. I completely fell in love with the characters & enjoy the historical aspects. They are murder mystery type novels with romance and a little humor mixed in. Although I am completely disgusted with the new covers they are giving the paperbacks. They look like cheap romance novels & they so are not even close to being that!

I haven't decide whether to begin something new while I wait for this FL book or to just take a break. Although with nothing much on tv yet, I'll mostly likely end up with a book in my hands!

Contributor
mgood222
0 Kudos

I keep signing in and out and still no little email showing up to sign up for the next first look book.

AHHHH!

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Sheltiemama wrote:

Never mind. The envelope finally showed up, and I've signed up. : )

Don't feel bad; I had to look and look to find where the darned envelope is now!  

I am soooooooo blonde.

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

mgood222 wrote:

I keep signing in and out and still no little email showing up to sign up for the next first look book.

AHHHH!

mgood-

You need to go to announcements on the main page, and look for the thread about signing up there. Be sure to follow the directions!!

-Sir Richard Steele

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It's a good book. I hope you enjoy it. :smileyhappy:

BSC42 wrote:

HI!

My son is going post-secondary his senior year of highschool and his college English class is reading The Giver.  I am borrowing it and going to read it along with him!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

I'm brunette. ; )

A friend of mine is having the same trouble. Everything shows up except the envelope. I told her to keep trying.

Contributor
johnandjeanne
0 Kudos

Hi

I just have a general question. I just recieved my first book from the young adult first look hush,hush and I just signed up for the normal first look club book of the postmistress. I just love to read and was wondering if there were any other book clubs like the first look book clubs where they send you books in the mail to preview and post comments about.

I also want to thank Barnes and Noble for giving me this opportunity to become involved in your first look book clubs.

Thanks again,

John

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I can't wait to get this book, it sounds soooo good. As for now I am reading---

The Toss of a Lemon 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I read The Nazi Officer's Wife. It is a really interesting story about survival during the Holocaust. So many of these stories show how capricious the opportunities for survival really were. In many cases it was not only the ability to think quickly and readjust to the changing situations but it was also timing and luck that often meant the difference between life and death. You might also be interested in reading The Seamstress, by Bernstein.
babzilla41 wrote:

I recently finished The Blue Notebook and am currently reading When Rabbit Howls.  The next one in the chute is The Nazi Officer's Wife

biljounc63
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

One of the things I love about the B&N book clubs is the book suggestions I find. So, in honor of that, I thought I would ask what everyone was reading now and what you might be planning to read while awaiting our new FL book. I am finishing up "The Help," and "Fearless" right now. I have so many on my TBR list that I haven't decided what is next yet. Maybe "The Poe Shadow" or something by Agatha Christie. What about you?

Hey Donna,

Currently reading The Concrte Blonde by Michael Connelly. Next up is the Da Vinci by Dan Brown. I am reading all of his  books while waiting for his latest release 

The Lost Symbol to arrive in mid September.

~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Thayer
0 Kudos

Re: new book club format

Just curious as to everyones's thoughts on the new online book club format?  Just when I got comfy with navigating the old site! Oh well, change is good-right?   :smileywink:

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: new book club format

Thayer wrote:

Just curious as to everyones's thoughts on the new online book club format?  Just when I got comfy with navigating the old site! Oh well, change is good-right?   :smileywink:

well, I am trying to get used to it. I am sure I will!  

I think....

I hope....

-Sir Richard Steele

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I am reading Chasing Fire, the sequel to the Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. They are young adult books but they are really good. A friend suggested I read them.

I am also reading The Double Bind, by Bohjalian. I just finished Don Quixote by Cervantes and Brooklyn by Colm Toibin.