Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

I just went through a large transcontinental move from San Francisco to New Jersey.  My Under This Broken Sky got packed and moved into storage by accident!   The books I brought with me:

The Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafron

Girl with the Dragon Tatto by Steig Larsson

The House at Riverton (a buy 2 get one free B&N purchase) by Kate Morton

Goodreads ID: dinib
Correspondent
CJINCA
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

I just finished Hush, hush :-)    and need to get over there and post!  as far as what else am I reading? In the Heart of the Sea; the story of the whaleship Essex ,  by Nathaniel Philbrick.   Kinda in the middle of re-reading North and South by John Jakes.  My TBR pile has grown quite large since joining First Look!  

I *loved* In the Heart of the Sea! 

Then I had to follow that up with Moby-Dick, which turned out to be one of those I will read again every couple of years.  What a great book that is.

Right now I am reading The Crying Tree, and I've got Amigoland queued up after that.

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: new book club format

Thayer wrote:

Just curious as to everyones's thoughts on the new online book club format?  Just when I got comfy with navigating the old site! Oh well, change is good-right?   :smileywink:

I don't care for it much to be honest. Seems like they got rid of a lot of stuff.

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

DiniB wrote:

I just went through a large transcontinental move from San Francisco to New Jersey.  My Under This Broken Sky got packed and moved into storage by accident!  

Welcome to New Jersey! Must have been quite a change... from CA to NJ!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: new book club format

[ Edited ]

I'm learning the new format and some things seem easier. This morning I couldn't sign in to the book clubs - it kept sending me to my account. There will be glitches along the way and I'm sure there are things that are still being ironed out. Hopefully the font will be a little larger, and I do miss seing the laurel and tag listing. Maybe those will come back.  :smileywink:

Thayer wrote:

Just curious as to everyones's thoughts on the new online book club format?  Just when I got comfy with navigating the old site! Oh well, change is good-right?   :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

Sheltiemama wrote:

Never mind. The envelope finally showed up, and I've signed up. : )

My sign in didn't show up for a couple of minutes this morning, I think they're still tweaking the new book clubs. (I hope)

Right now I'm reading the new YA First Look (it's been really hard to stay on schedule because I really like it)

Hush, Hush

And I'm just finishing:

All the Dead Voices (Ed Loy Series #4) 

And I'm trying to figure out the new format for the book clubs and my add product still isn't working. Uggg!!

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Sheltiemama wrote:

I did, and after several times, it finally worked. Everything in that little box except the envelope was showing up. Thanks.

I was having a problem with it always saying sign in.  I kept trying and finally got my little envelope.  Boy this new stuff is hard. :smileyindifferent:

Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

I just finished reading South of Broad by Pat Conroy...wonderful, as usual...am now reading Sand Shark by Margaret Maron...recently read The Last Child by John Hart...really gripping...

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
dhaupt
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel wrote:

Sheltiemama wrote:

I did, and after several times, it finally worked. Everything in that little box except the envelope was showing up. Thanks.

I was having a problem with it always saying sign in.  I kept trying and finally got my little envelope.  Boy this new stuff is hard. :smileyindifferent:

Hi EbonyAngel,

I know it's frustrating. It's good to see old friends here and guess what I brought another St. Louisian with me for this read. 

Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

How do I get a little oval picture under my name?

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

I am reading and enjoying The Day the Falls Stood Still, the current Barnes and Noble recommendation.  I also enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind and The Help.

Always looking for new ideas!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

bettymac wrote:

How do I get a little oval picture under my name?

Hi,

to get picture go to My B&N and click on change avatar and they have a selection to choose from. If you're talking about your real picture I think that's just for B&N mediators and booksellers etc..

Hope that helped.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I am reading Chasing Fire, the sequel to the Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. They are young adult books but they are really good. A friend suggested I read them.

I am also reading The Double Bind, by Bohjalian. I just finished Don Quixote by Cervantes and Brooklyn by Colm Toibin.

I loved The Double Bind - I've read all of Bohjalian's books.  Was also interested in Brooklyn by Toibin but haven't read that.  Let me know how you like it!

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Oh and....got confirmed for The Postmistress!!  Woo hoo - can't wait!

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

bettymac wrote:

I just finished reading South of Broad by Pat Conroy...wonderful, as usual...am now reading Sand Shark by Margaret Maron...recently read The Last Child by John Hart...really gripping...

I'm reading South Of Broad now. It took a good hundred pages  but now it is getting very interesting. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Trouble signing in

I am having a lot of trouble signing into the book clubs period. In case anyone else is having this problem, I have found a work-around until it is fixed. When I click on "log in" for the book clubs, it always takes me to my account. When I try to load a discussion, it is an a visitor. BUT, if I click on "Reply" to a post, suddenly I am signed in and can navigate. I just wanted to share it for others with similar problems.  :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Trouble signing in

DSaff wrote:

I am having a lot of trouble signing into the book clubs period. In case anyone else is having this problem, I have found a work-around until it is fixed. When I click on "log in" for the book clubs, it always takes me to my account. When I try to load a discussion, it is an a visitor. BUT, if I click on "Reply" to a post, suddenly I am signed in and can navigate. I just wanted to share it for others with similar problems.  :smileywink:

Thanks Donna, I've been having the same trouble.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Sorry about this. We're working on it.

dhaupt wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

I just finished reading "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick.   It was very well-written, although the story was not what I expected.  Lots of plot twists.

Carolyn 

DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

One of the things I love about the B&N book clubs is the book suggestions I find. So, in honor of that, I thought I would ask what everyone was reading now and what you might be planning to read while awaiting our new FL book. I am finishing up "The Help," and "Fearless" right now. I have so many on my TBR list that I haven't decided what is next yet. Maybe "The Poe Shadow" or something by Agatha Christie. What about you?

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I figured that, Paul. Thanks  :smileywink:

PaulH wrote:
Sorry about this. We're working on it.

dhaupt wrote:

DSaff wrote: