Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

Amanda-Louise wrote:

I'm reading The Book Thief while I wait for my copy of Drood to arrive.  I'm only about 25 pages into The Book Thief - I'm thinking of not continuing.  Anyone have words of encouragement to either keep going or to cast it aside???

Thanks!

Amanda

Amanda, I was really excited to see Drood on my local library's new arrivals shelf yesterday but it's size scared me to death!  I think I'll save a read like that for the long winter months.  Hope you enjoy it.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

JaneM wrote:

I also love Bohjalian, and Jodi Picoult for how they take a controversial subject and present it in a fictionalized way so that you learn a lot about an issue, such as midwifes or brittle bone disease.

Jane, I read my first Picoult over the summer, Handle with Care.  I then passed it on to a friend because I thought it so well written.  Now I have Nineteen Minutes on my bookshelf and look forward to reading that at some point in time.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

I have a dream and maybe it will come true if I write it down.  My dream is to read every book I have on my bookshelves (currently 142) so that I can read every book on the NYT bestseller list and then recommendations.  My problem is I can not stop buying books!  I go nuts at library book sales, yard sales, B&N semi-annual sales you name it.  There must be some 12 step plan out there to help me with this addiction!

Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I loved Prayers For Sale and The Help. The others now get added to my list. LOL

ChrisB_NJ wrote:

I recently read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", "Prayers for Sale" and "Critical". Of the 3, I enjoyed "Prayers for Sale" the most. Right now I'm reading "The Help". Before "The Postmistress" arrives, I need to buckle down and start reading the new version of the PMBOK as I'm scheduled to take the PMP exam in November.   

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

I just visited you blog Donna and I am very impressed.  It looks very professional.  Did it take you very long to set it up?

Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Gadgetgirl, thank you for recommending Abraham Verghese's "Cutting for Stone". I'm in the middle of it, and am very grateful that you brought it to our attention.

It's a marvelous reading. 

GadgetgirlKS wrote:

I recently finished Cutting for Stone, it was not a book I would have normally picked up on my own (it was for a book club). It was a great story and I highly recommend it, but warning it is a bit long. I also recently finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, another good book.

I am currently reading Emma by Jane Austen. It is the first Jane Austen book I have ever read!

Cutting for Stone 

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Right now I'm finishing:

Face Time 

It's Hank's second in her Charlie McNally series, really good especially if you're like me and get tired of those 20, and 30 something heros and heroines. She's a 46yr old Investigative reporter and the stories are really good. It's romantic suspense.

Then it's on to the third book which we're discussing over at the mystery club this month

Air Time 

And I'm still reading (on schedule) which is hard because it's a good read, for the other FL club

Hush, Hush 

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thanks, Lynda.  The beginning didn't really take long and I keep playing with it. I like blogspot because it is free and their instructions are easy to follow. :smileyhappy:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

I just visited you blog Donna and I am very impressed.  It looks very professional.  Did it take you very long to set it up?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

I'm on about page 60 and I think I'll stick with it - it's an easy read and there's tonnes of white space on the pages, so it shouldn't take long.  That's kind of necessary since Drood is 800 pages and I need to read it before I start The Postmistress.

I think part of the problem with The Book Thief is the first several chapters serve to put you on a first-name basis with Death.  I found it kind of disconcerting!

Plus, reading a book from that high perspective would annoy me, but it's brought down to the girl's level and has become her story.  Much more accessible for me that way!

Amanda

thewanderingjew wrote:

I found that at around 100 pages in I was a captive, so if you can, try and continue.

Contributor
Alnilan
0 Kudos

I am reading "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz,  winner of the 2007 Pulitzer Prize. Some time ago, browsing through the library shelves, I found his first short story book "Drown" right next to Phillip K. Dick and decided to take a chance and loved it. I have found several authors I like this way. 

Frequent Contributor
artist4nature
0 Kudos

Lynda:

I have the same symptoms!  you are brave to even count your TBR's .   I have a nightmare that the piles of books will fall on me while I am asleep!!  LOL

Maybe the cure is ship all the books and ourselves to a tropical island for a year!!  I'm willing to try!    Joan

Inspired Contributor
Choisya

Re: 'The Day War Broke Out....

[ Edited ]

Today it is 70 years since war was declared in the UK and I have just been writing to my grandchildren about my experiences on that day and at that time.  So it seems only appropriate that I should also sign up to read a book that was written about someone else's wartime memories.   I look forward to joining y'all from Across the Pond:smileyhappy:

This monologue by a famous wartime comedian may amuse you - I had his Yorkshire accent in those days!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

That's a powerful memory, Choisya. Welcome to the group. :smileyhappy:

Choisya wrote:

Today it is 70 years since war was declared in the UK and I have just been writing to my grandchildren about my experiences on that day and at that time.  So it seems only appropriate that I should also sign up to read a book that was written about someone else's wartime memories.   I look forward to joining y'all from Across the Pond:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Oh, how important it is to get those memories written down. That generation is slowing leaving us and without those first hand recollections future generations only get textbook knowledge. Sadly, my dad passed away and though I remember just a few of his stories from WWII (some from England and France) how wonderful it would have been to relive that period of time written down in his own hand. Your grandchildren are very fortunate to have you.
Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

artist4nature wrote:

Lynda:

I have the same symptoms!  you are brave to even count your TBR's .   I have a nightmare that the piles of books will fall on me while I am asleep!!  LOL

Maybe the cure is ship all the books and ourselves to a tropical island for a year!!  I'm willing to try!    Joan

Well Joan, when I retired earlier this year I decided I needed to declutter!  First on agenda to gather up all books in my house and put them in a central location.  Actually, I have about a foot and a half left on my bookshelf for books that are just too good to pass up.

Your idea sounds fabulous!  But what to do with the husband?

Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
dhaupt

Welcome back to FL Choisya, I've missed you for the last few reads.

Choisya wrote:

This monologue by a famous wartime comedian may amuse you - I had his Yorkshire accent in those days!

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Choisya:

How lucky for your grandchildren that you are willing to share your experiences and memories. Feel free to share here - I personally would love to "hear" about your wartime experiences.  70 years.....

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks for the welcome.  I expect I will share some memories as we read the book because it is sure to spark some off:smileyhappy:

I don't often join First Look as classics are more my thing than moderns and also I do not buy books from B&N because of the postage costs, so I always feel mean about getting a free book from them!:smileysad:

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Re: Trouble signing in

Sunltcloud wrote:
As for font size, Marciliogq, it is preset at "medium" but you can change it in your profile.
marciliogq wrote:
I'm having the same trouble!!! I also didn't like the font size. Too small for my short sight.

DSaff wrote:

I am having a lot of trouble signing into the book clubs period. In case anyone else is having this problem, I have found a work-around until it is fixed. When I click on "log in" for the book clubs, it always takes me to my account. When I try to load a discussion, it is an a visitor. BUT, if I click on "Reply" to a post, suddenly I am signed in and can navigate. I just wanted to share it for others with similar problems.  :smileywink:

Thanks! I'll try to change it.

Inspired Contributor
JoyZ
0 Kudos

I recently finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which I enjoyed and am now reading Elegance of the Hedgehog.  Not far enough into it to know if I'm going to like it or not yet.