Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

I have a friend who just recommended Elegance of the Hedgehog to me.  Keep me informed as to what you think of it.  I just added it to the many requests that I have at the library.
Kathy

JoyZ wrote:

I recently finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which I enjoyed and am now reading Elegance of the Hedgehog.  Not far enough into it to know if I'm going to like it or not yet.

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

Re: Trouble signing in

That's how I finally got the envelope to show. I replied to a message. And I got my confirmation today -- woo-hoo! This sounds like a terrific story.

In the meantime, I've been reading "The Romanov Bride" by Robert Alexander. It's great, and now two other of his Romanov books are on my to-read list.

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

literature wrote:

bettymac wrote:

I just finished reading South of Broad by Pat Conroy...wonderful, as usual...am now reading Sand Shark by Margaret Maron...recently read The Last Child by John Hart...really gripping...

I'm reading South Of Broad now. It took a good hundred pages  but now it is getting very interesting. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm glad I stuck with it.

I just finished the audio version of South of Broad and it took quite a few disks before I really started to enjoy it.  The beginning was okay, but I kept thinking how long will it  take for him to set the stage.  Once he got into the thick of it., it was good.  I'm glad I kept listening.

It did take a long time to set the whole story up but now it is taking off. I'm glad I stuck with it too. I was about to give up when I saw that others had the same problem but said it did get better. Hopefully I'll get it finished this weekend. It's starting to be a hard to put down book. Thanks for the encouragement!

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
pode
0 Kudos

Re: new book club format

Thayer wrote:

Just curious as to everyones's thoughts on the new online book club format?  Just when I got comfy with navigating the old site! Oh well, change is good-right?   :smileywink:

I think change is good if it's an IMPROVEMENT.  That remains to be seen.

Pode

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher
Contributor
ChrisB_NJ
0 Kudos

My daughter and son-in-law recently moved out of my home and into their 1st home. I've reorganized my books only to discover I need more shelves in my wall unit!  I've never been able to figure out why I have such an obsession to own books instead of using the public library. If you decide to go to an island, please count me in!     :smileyvery-happy: 

Chris (Christine)
Contributor
margotjj
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am currently reading Romancing the Dead by Tate Hallaway. I was enjoying it immensely till I reached page 118 when it repeated pages 89-118 then jumped to page 157. So I am now currently waiting for the replacement copy. I'm waiting impatiently. Other authors I enjoy are Laurel K Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, Spider Robinson (I'm a big Callahan's Place fan).

When I don't read sci-fi or fantasy I am reading other novels like Red Tent, Queen Margot, Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby,  and many others.

Margot

Inspired Contributor
BDonnelly
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am in the middle of readintg The Given Day by Dennis Lehane.  My favorite books of the summer were Little Bee, Goldengrove, The Help, and the Professor and the Housekeeper.  I'm looking forward to the next FL book.  Also had fun with the second Steig Larsen book.

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

pode wrote:

I think the smaller, lighter font is very eye-straining.  Please bring out the darker font!

Carolyn

Thayer wrote:

Just curious as to everyones's thoughts on the new online book club format?  Just when I got comfy with navigating the old site! Oh well, change is good-right?   :smileywink:

Pode

Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

I'm not crazy about the changes.   Navigating the site takes too long.   Also, I have difficulty signing into the books club.  

Hopefully B&N will have it all worked out soon.

pode wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Pode

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

I just stopped up at Barnes & Noble tonight & picked up The House at Riverton by Kate Morton to read while I wait for this FL to start. I've seen such great comments on the book in past FL discussions. Really looking forward to reading it!

Stephanie

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I hope you enjoy the book, Stephanie. It is one of my favorite FL selections. Kate Morton has a second novel, The Forgotten Garden, which is also excellent. She is a wonderful author and I'm so glad I found her through FL!  :smileyhappy:

JerseyAngel wrote:

I just stopped up at Barnes & Noble tonight & picked up The House at Riverton by Kate Morton to read while I wait for this FL to start. I've seen such great comments on the book in past FL discussions. Really looking forward to reading it!

Stephanie

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

Anna_Louise wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I too love the First Look BC and all the suggestions.  However, my book list keeps growing and it will take me lifetimes to try to get through it!:smileywink:

I'm currently reading:  The Day the Falls Stood Still which is the B&N Recommended book.  It's fantastic and I'm loving it and can't put it down.

Anna

Glad to hear you're enjoying The Day the Falls Stood Still.  I just received the copy I ordered from B&N a couple days ago and can't wait to dive in.  So many books.....so little time!

julie

Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

kpatton wrote:

Anna, I so agree with you.  I will never find enough time to read all of the books I have written down as suggestions, however I just added your suggestion to my list.  I started The Shack but am having great difficulty getting into it.  My next book to pick up is Loving Frank.  Both of these are for my book clubs.  Just for fun I have Queen of the Underworld on CD in my car.
Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I read Loving Frank for my "in real life" book club - it was a good read, which prompted a terrific discussion!

julie

Reader
kilikini
0 Kudos

Hello all,

While waiting (and hoping) for confirmation of my request for The Postmistress, I have been totally immersed in Eugenia Kim's The Calligrapher's Daughter, a remarkable and fascinating historical fiction novel of turn-of-the-century Korea.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Confirmed for the Postmistress and looking forward to it. In the meantime I hope to finish Emily Carr's Biograhy by Maria Tippett, "Veronika Decides to Die" by Paulo Coelho, and a book that reminds me of our last FL book.;  this one is a historical look at the American Dust Bowl: "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan.

Emily Carr 

Veronika Decides to Die 

The Worst Hard Time 

JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I hope you enjoy the book, Stephanie. It is one of my favorite FL selections. Kate Morton has a second novel, The Forgotten Garden, which is also excellent. She is a wonderful author and I'm so glad I found her through FL!  :smileyhappy:

I'm only about 65 pages in & already enjoying it! I love The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield & this is reminding me a bit of that.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I loved reading The Thirteenth Tale. It was so good.  :smileyhappy:

JerseyAngel wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I'm only about 65 pages in & already enjoying it! I love The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield & this is reminding me a bit of that.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
lmpmn
0 Kudos

WOW!  The Thirteenth Tale just happens to be one of my favorite books!  I've been looking forward to Setterfield's next book, but I've haven't seen or heard anything about a new one.

DSaff wrote:

JerseyAngel wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Happiness is a warm blanket!
Frequent Contributor
artist4nature
0 Kudos

I loved Elegance of the Hedgehog - there is also a prequel about another resident of the apartment - Gourmet Rhapsody

Gourmet Rhapsody   I am thinking of going to get it tomorrow - not that I don't have enough to read. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I keep hearing about The Thirteenth Tale. I need to put that on my list.

So many books bought lately. Maybe I will check the library.

Kid getting married, not so much time to read.

I will have to add that book. So many recommendations.

pen21

lmpmn wrote:

WOW!  The Thirteenth Tale just happens to be one of my favorite books!  I've been looking forward to Setterfield's next book, but I've haven't seen or heard anything about a new one.

DSaff wrote:

JerseyAngel wrote:

DSaff wrote: