Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

Re: Community Room

Happy day, happy day!  For a mere $9.50 I purchased 16 books from my library's book sale.  Most happy with The Last Dickens by Matthew Pearl 2009 for only 2 bucks!  Sorry B&N I've saved some book cash for you too.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I agree that "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" does take some time getting used to. Swedish history, the geography (s that name a city or a river?), the economic system (what's a krona in relation to a dollar?)... even the names (was that Johanson, or Johnson, or Janson?)

But its worth sticking with... I just finished the 2nd book in the series "The Girl who played with FIre", and it gets so much easier. You've already met the main characters, and the plot is terrific. Very absorbing.

I love Lisbeth Salanger, and can't wait for the third book in the series, "The Girl who kicked a Hornet's Nest".

DiniB wrote:

biljounc63 wrote:

phenomshel wrote:

On my TBR list right now I have "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  This one has been difficult for me to get into, I've started it twice already, but have been assured by friends that once Lisbeth appears I won't be able to put it down, so I'm willing to give it another try.

Shel

Shel,

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I agree that that it is a bid tough to get into. There is  a lot of back history, names and places (being set in Sweden) but once you get past that it is a very good read. It took me longer than usual to read it but it was well worth it in the end.

I am also having a hard time with this book. I've read reviews stating how this book is hard to put down. I am a ~100 pgs into the story - the corporate financial background is boring me. I am trusting my fellow readers and hoping the story line gets better...meanwhile, trying not to skim.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
michaelsjlrc
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

lmpmn wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

One of the things I love about the B&N book clubs is the book suggestions I find. So, in honor of that, I thought I would ask what everyone was reading now and what you might be planning to read while awaiting our new FL book. I am finishing up "The Help," and "Fearless" right now. I have so many on my TBR list that I haven't decided what is next yet. Maybe "The Poe Shadow" or something by Agatha Christie. What about you?

I LOVE Agatha Christie books!  I go to this place that sells secondhand books (it's kind of like a Salvation Army) and I found several of them and rediscovered my love of a good mystery.  I just got through reading And Then There Were None and I'll start on The Murder of Roger Ackroyd soon.  I also love to watch the Agatha Christie murder mysteries on PBS.

I'm also still trying to get through The Grapes of Wrath.  I really really like it, but for some reason I keep procrastinating on finishing it.

By the way, DSaff, I think you're such a nice person!  You make a point of welcoming all the newcomers to the club.  You're awesome!

I read The Grapes of Wrath right before Under This Unbroken Sky (Had to find something really uplifting after those two!).  Keep plugging -- its worth it.  Just finished Catching Fire (a wonderful young adult book by Suzanne Collins) and Catcher in the Rye.  Now I'm reading Kathy Reichs' new book 206 Bones.  Hoping to have time for Deliverence Dane before The Postmistress starts.  I'd also like to read Hush, Hush. I had my daughter sign up for it because I thought it would be a neat experience for her. She read it twice before the discussion even started, and is now reading it again on schedule. I'm looking forward to it if I can ever get it away from her.

Contributor
michaelsjlrc
0 Kudos

Amanda-Louise wrote:

I'm reading The Book Thief while I wait for my copy of Drood to arrive.  I'm only about 25 pages into The Book Thief - I'm thinking of not continuing.  Anyone have words of encouragement to either keep going or to cast it aside???

Thanks!

Amanda

This was a fabulous book.  I've recommended it to everybody I know who likes to read and they've all had positive responses. Even made my 15 yo daughter read it and she enjoyed it (she usually won't admit to liking books I recommend).  Keep at it. You'll be glad that you did.

Contributor
michaelsjlrc

Carmenere_lady wrote:

I have a dream and maybe it will come true if I write it down.  My dream is to read every book I have on my bookshelves (currently 142) so that I can read every book on the NYT bestseller list and then recommendations.  My problem is I can not stop buying books!  I go nuts at library book sales, yard sales, B&N semi-annual sales you name it.  There must be some 12 step plan out there to help me with this addiction!

If you find a cure, let me know - I was just at Barnes & Noble today using my coupon to buy a book.  Ended up being for my kids, but it is a series that I have been reading to, so I'm sure I'll be reading it sometime. 
Contributor
Biblio_Sue
0 Kudos

I loved these two books -- unfortunately though I read them in rapid succession (lucked out on the library waiting list) and now have to wait for the third one to be released.  I found the second one a more thrilling story; it is so unfortunate that the author is no longer with us.

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

BSC42 wrote:

kpatton wrote:

BSC42 wrote:

HI!

My son is going post-secondary his senior year of highschool and his college English class is reading The Giver.  I am borrowing it and going to read it along with him!

I read The Giver several years ago when Nancy Pearl lead a reading discussion group through the University of Minnesota.  It is a marvelous read.  You'll definitely want to find someone to talk with when you finish it.

Kathy

Yes I agree. My son and I read this together last year for his school and it was absolutely the most thought provoking book I think I have ever read!

My son just finished and I'm just starting. He said he was not thrilled with the ending so now I'm excited to get reading!

It's one of those endings that doesn't wrap things up but leaves options open for the reader to think about.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you think.

Kathy

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

michaelsjlrc wrote:

l

I read The Grapes of Wrath right before Under This Unbroken Sky (Had to find something really uplifting after those two!).  Keep plugging -- its worth it.  Just finished Catching Fire (a wonderful young adult book by Suzanne Collins) and Catcher in the Rye.  Now I'm reading Kathy Reichs' new book 206 Bones.  Hoping to have time for Deliverence Dane before The Postmistress starts.  I'd also like to read Hush, Hush. I had my daughter sign up for it because I thought it would be a neat experience for her. She read it twice before the discussion even started, and is now reading it again on schedule. I'm looking forward to it if I can ever get it away from her.

You certainly are able to read faster than I can.  Hope you get to Deliverence Dane.  I read it with FL and enjoyed it a lot.  Nice mix of history and fun fiction.

Kathy

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I'd also like to read Hush, Hush. I had my daughter sign up for it because I thought it would be a neat experience for her. She read it twice before the discussion even started, and is now reading it again on schedule. I'm looking forward to it if I can ever get it away from her.

I read that and rereading it sounds like such a great idea to stay with the schedule. I wish I'd thought of that.  Unfortunately my neighbor borrowed it and hasn't returned it yet.  I'll keep that in mind for next time! 

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Happy day, happy day!  For a mere $9.50 I purchased 16 books from my library's book sale.  Most happy with The Last Dickens by Matthew Pearl 2009 for only 2 bucks!  Sorry B&N I've saved some book cash for you too.

I love to scour the stacks of the books that are for sale at the library!  There are always shelves for sale, and I almost always find something that I was looking for (that I didn't know I was looking for!)  Hardbacks $1, paperbacks $.50.  Can't beat it, not even at Goodwill.  I spend plenty at my local B&N, more than online, because I love the feel and smell of books. :smileysurprised:

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
jb70

I can't remember if I already posted this or if I just thought I did.  One sight I really like is Paperbackswap.com   .  You can list books you currently own but are done reading and don't mind giving away and then look for titles you want.  Once someone selects one of your books the only thing you have to pay is the postage to send it to them which earns you a credit you can use for another book.  If you want something that is not available you can put it on your wish list and you are notified when a copy comes available and you can select to get it or not.  I just sent out two books from my shelf today and am currently waiting for some of my wish lists books to come up  to use my credits.  That said i still buy a bunch of books at various books stores and used sales at libraries and other places.  I love bag days at books sales where you can get a whole bag for $3 or $5.  No wonder I have so many around!

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
lmpmn
0 Kudos

michaelsjlrc wrote:

lmpmn wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

One of the things I love about the B&N book clubs is the book suggestions I find. So, in honor of that, I thought I would ask what everyone was reading now and what you might be planning to read while awaiting our new FL book. I am finishing up "The Help," and "Fearless" right now. I have so many on my TBR list that I haven't decided what is next yet. Maybe "The Poe Shadow" or something by Agatha Christie. What about you?

I LOVE Agatha Christie books!  I go to this place that sells secondhand books (it's kind of like a Salvation Army) and I found several of them and rediscovered my love of a good mystery.  I just got through reading And Then There Were None and I'll start on The Murder of Roger Ackroyd soon.  I also love to watch the Agatha Christie murder mysteries on PBS.

I'm also still trying to get through The Grapes of Wrath.  I really really like it, but for some reason I keep procrastinating on finishing it.

By the way, DSaff, I think you're such a nice person!  You make a point of welcoming all the newcomers to the club.  You're awesome!

Thanks for the encouragement!  I keep renewing Grapes of Wrath from the library.  I am going to finish it--I just have to keep telling myself that!  It's funny that you had your daughter sign up for Hush, Hush.  I signed up for it, but as soon as it came in the mail my 13-year-old daughter grabbed it and finished it in one day!  She really liked it.  I'm reading it now.  I just finished chapter 9 last night and am online discussing it today.  I read Deliverance Dane with the First Look club and really enjoyed it.  Hope you like it!

Happiness is a warm blanket!
Correspondent
timetravel
0 Kudos

I just finished Dreamer by Phillip L Davidson - really enjoyed it.

I am now reading:

The Lost Dog by Michell de Kretser

The Rasner Effect by Mark Rosendorf

Distant Thunder by Jimmy Root Jr.

Morning Sunshine by Robin Meade

Different books for different moods :smileyvery-happy:

Linda

Bookvisions

book giveaway

JaneM
0 Kudos

I'm slowly working my way through "The Stones of Summer" by Dow Mossman, first published to major critical acclaim in the '70's and re-published a few years ago.  It's a huge book.  Has anyone read it?

Jane M.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

JaneM wrote:

I'm slowly working my way through "The Stones of Summer" by Dow Mossman, first published to major critical acclaim in the '70's and re-published a few years ago.  It's a huge book.  Has anyone read it?

Not yet, but I do own it.  I love huge books, but they do take time.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Contributor
Ronrose
0 Kudos

Hi,  I just finished reading, " The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel", by Maureen Lindley. A very interesting novel about a Chinese princess, who grows up in Japan and proceeds to spy for her adopted country against her Chinese homeland. A detailed, exotic and very sexy telling of a story of a relatively unknown historical  character. Just starting, "Century, Book One the Ring of Fire",by Italian author, P. D. Baccalario. In this young adult novel, four children are drawn into a mysterious challenge to find in modern day Rome, the powerful Ring of Fire,  which even Roman Emperors could not control. So far a very good read. It quickly grabs you into the story with action and very inviting characters.

Contributor
Wilson54
0 Kudos

Lynda, you are a girl after my own heart.  Nothing is more thrilling than gathering bargains galore at a local libarary sale!  I myself received my credit card rewards in the form of a B & N gift card - oh what to add to my TBR pile ???  You all have given me such goiod Ideas!

Carole
(wilson54)
Thayer
0 Kudos

Hey Paul,

Was just wondering if our avatars would re-"appear" when we post messages?  I think it's kinda cool to have a visual to go with each persons log in name.  What are your thoughts on the new format?  I am becoming somewhat more familiar with it and am glad that it is now much easier to sign in.  I know "the team" has been working very hard to remove all of the gliches.  I really  appreciate the hard work and dedication of people such as yourself who do so much to make the book club experience enjoyable for us.  Thanks.   :smileyhappy:

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hi Thayer,

What Browser are you using? You're avatar should reappear when you post a message.

I think ultimately we're moving in the right direction with the redesign. We do have a ways to go bug-wise, and the overall design of the Clubs is going to get much, much better. I promise.

Best,

P.

Thayer wrote:

Hey Paul,

Was just wondering if our avatars would re-"appear" when we post messages?  I think it's kinda cool to have a visual to go with each persons log in name.  What are your thoughts on the new format?  I am becoming somewhat more familiar with it and am glad that it is now much easier to sign in.  I know "the team" has been working very hard to remove all of the gliches.  I really  appreciate the hard work and dedication of people such as yourself who do so much to make the book club experience enjoyable for us.  Thanks.   :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
scnole
0 Kudos

Paul,

What browser should we be using for our avatar to show up?   Mine has shown up in the new format.  I do miss seeing it.

scnole

PaulH wrote:

Hi Thayer,

What Browser are you using? You're avatar should reappear when you post a message.

I think ultimately we're moving in the right direction with the redesign. We do have a ways to go bug-wise, and the overall design of the Clubs is going to get much, much better. I promise.

Best,

P.

Thayer wrote:

Hey Paul,