Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

My copy just arrived this afternoon. What a wonderful cover! It sounds a great story and I immediately connected the dramatic tone to UTUS. Hope it can be as good as it was.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Great! I am glad you got your copy. Looking forward to the discussion.

Looks like a great book.

pen21

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I received my book today Just about 5 minutes ago.  I read a few pages so far.  I can not wait to start reading everyone posts. Talk to you all soon.

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

I received my book last Friday, but had trouble signing in to post for the past few days. The cover design is beautiful. I've already read about 150 pages and am loving the book so far. Really, really good story.
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Re: New Format Question

I have been reading the posts about people having difficulty with the new organization of the site.  I use Firefox with my Mac and also haven't had any difficulties.  I had thought that others were trying to do more difficult things.  I have only gotten sophisticated enought to post and reply.  I hope to at least add a quote at the bottom of my posts soon.
kathy

liisa22 wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I'm not sure who to ask about this, so here is sits. LOL  I would like to know if we are ever going to be able to return to the page we are on after reading the posts there. Right now, if I read a post, I either have to hit the back arrow to get back to the page I was on, or hit the "message list" button which takes me back to the very first page. I was hoping this was a fluke at the beginning, but I have to say it is awful! I DON'T want to go back to start every time I read a post. I want to be able to return to the page I was reading. Is that going to be fixed? Has anyone got any other ideas or "work-arounds?" I can't even get page numbers without going all the way back. Please help.

What browser do you use?  I use Safari on my Mac and have NO problems with that. After I sign in, click on the thread I want to read, and it automatically takes me to MY 1st unread post, no matter what page.  Wish I could help you.

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

What do you think of your kindle?  Do you miss the experience of the book itself?  I know that when I listen to a book either on my ITouch or in the car, I enjoy the story but there is nothing like actually holding and reading the book itself for me.
Kathy

debbook wrote:

I loved House at Riverton! I have The Forgotten Garden on my kindle waiting to go, but I have a couple books ahead first

JerseyAngel wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I hope you enjoy the book, Stephanie. It is one of my favorite FL selections. Kate Morton has a second novel, The Forgotten Garden, which is also excellent. She is a wonderful author and I'm so glad I found her through FL!  :smileyhappy:

I finished The House At Riverton today. I loved it & got choked up at the ending. Such emotion! It is definately one of my favorites. I only wish I had been able to read it when it was a FL selection. I'm definately adding The Forgotten Garden to my list! Now I just have to keep my hands off The Postmistress for a week or 2 so I don't get ahead of the reading schedule!!

Stephanie

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

For those of you who read and enjoyed Under This Unbroken Sky, it is one of IndieBound's September selections.

Kathy

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

adding a quote to your signature

Hi Kathy.  :smileyhappy:  You can add a quote to your signature by doing the following. Click on "My Profile" > Personal Profile > Personal Information. There is room for a quote there. :smileywink:

kpatton wrote:

I have been reading the posts about people having difficulty with the new organization of the site.  I use Firefox with my Mac and also haven't had any difficulties.  I had thought that others were trying to do more difficult things.  I have only gotten sophisticated enought to post and reply.  I hope to at least add a quote at the bottom of my posts soon.
kathy

liisa22 wrote:

DSaff wrote:

I'm not sure who to ask about this, so here is sits. LOL  I would like to know if we are ever going to be able to return to the page we are on after reading the posts there. Right now, if I read a post, I either have to hit the back arrow to get back to the page I was on, or hit the "message list" button which takes me back to the very first page. I was hoping this was a fluke at the beginning, but I have to say it is awful! I DON'T want to go back to start every time I read a post. I want to be able to return to the page I was reading. Is that going to be fixed? Has anyone got any other ideas or "work-arounds?" I can't even get page numbers without going all the way back. Please help.

What browser do you use?  I use Safari on my Mac and have NO problems with that. After I sign in, click on the thread I want to read, and it automatically takes me to MY 1st unread post, no matter what page.  Wish I could help you.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Book came today!

My book arrived today! I'm really looking forward to beginning this one.  I'm certain this will be an amazing discussion.  It's going to take a lot of restraint to keep me from starting it now, rather than waiting for the discussion. 

Looking forward to discussing it with all of you!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Great! I am glad you got your copy. Looking forward to the discussion.

Looks like a great book.

pen21

Thans pen21! See you in the discussion! This book promises a good discussion. I love historical books!

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I just finished up The Hunger Game, by Suzanne Collins. Now I just started The Postmistress - which already has me hooked!

I also recently bought  "Little Dorritt" - I like to dig into a good Dickens novel every so often. I also just purchased, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, based on a very good source's recommendation, so I'm looking forward to that (probably after finishing The Postmistress)....  At some point in the not too distant future I will read the sequel to The Hunger Game, too. So many books, so little time! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Re: Book arrived...

Mine too! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I read The Book Thief a few months ago and found it to be very good. It takes a little while to get into it, but I found the book well worth reading. :smileyhappy:

Amanda-Louise wrote:

I'm reading The Book Thief while I wait for my copy of Drood to arrive.  I'm only about 25 pages into The Book Thief - I'm thinking of not continuing.  Anyone have words of encouragement to either keep going or to cast it aside???

Thanks!

Amanda

I've had this book sitting on my shelf for a while but still haven't picked it up.  I guess I can't really complain since the reason I haven't gotten to it is because I've found so many other books I want to read as well!
http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

What do you think of your kindle?  Do you miss the experience of the book itself?  I know that when I listen to a book either on my ITouch or in the car, I enjoy the story but there is nothing like actually holding and reading the book itself for me.

Kathy

Although I like to listen to books in the car (since I have small children we usually listen to children's chapter books) I always end up feeling like I'm mising part of it especially when I have to concentrate on something driving related and tune it out.  But it is still a good use of time.  Plus, for anyone who has more than one kid or a kid who gets antsy in the car, my kids almost never fight now because they want to listen and find out what is going to come next in the story.  They love going to the library as it is, but now they each get to pick out an audio book too for us all to listen to and they love it!

Jill

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Contributor
DPHampton
0 Kudos

I just finished The Book Thief  on audiobook and I felt it was very much worth sticking with. Get past the beginning and you'll probably get hooked. I learned to really love the characters.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Deltadawn wrote:

I just finished up The Hunger Game, by Suzanne Collins. Now I just started The Postmistress - which already has me hooked!

I also recently bought  "Little Dorritt" - I like to dig into a good Dickens novel every so often. I also just purchased, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, based on a very good source's recommendation, so I'm looking forward to that (probably after finishing The Postmistress)....  At some point in the not too distant future I will read the sequel to The Hunger Game, too. So many books, so little time! :smileyhappy:

Delta -- There are messages on the Classics board that say the Little Dorritt movie that just won a number of awards is available on-line for the next few days -- if interested, see the postings there for more details -- the appropriate thread should be obvious from the labels.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
AvidReader44
0 Kudos

I'm reading Cosmonaut Keep by Ken Macleod (nearly finished it), have got the 2nd one in the series and will probably read it before I start The Postmistress.

Maggie

blog: http://bookblog.taylorsbooks.co.uk/  (this is new so probably has a few bugs and tweaks to sort out yet!)

Frequent Contributor
nikki824
0 Kudos

Those of you how are in the FL book club. Do you start reading right away or do u read when the discussion starts. I was just wondering. I want to be on the same page with everyone.

Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

nikki824 wrote:

Those of you how are in the FL book club. Do you start reading right away or do u read when the discussion starts. I was just wondering. I want to be on the same page with everyone.

I received my copy last week and can hardly stand putting it down.  I have to confess that I read about 1/3 in hopes that I haven't jumped too far ahead.  Again, impossible to put down.  This will be a wonderful discussion!  I am thrilled to have this opportunity.

Sandy

Contributor
spaced57
0 Kudos

My copy finally arrived! I'm really excited about reading this. I'm tempted to start now.

I  know some do read before the schedule and others wait. It's difficult for me to have

self control when I read so much as it is, and I have this book with a wonderful story

waiting for me, and yet I have to leave it alone. 

Knowing me, I'm sure I'll breakdown now and start to read since it's Sunday and they

will be posting the schedule.

:smileyhappy: