Reader
msbertrand
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

I am also reading The Day the Falls Stood Still. I just started it last night, and love it so far. Can't wait to finish this one! My books to read list is getting bigger every day. The Help has been recommended to me by multiple people, so that will be my next read.

Monica

Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

biljounc63 wrote:

phenomshel wrote:

On my TBR list right now I have "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  This one has been difficult for me to get into, I've started it twice already, but have been assured by friends that once Lisbeth appears I won't be able to put it down, so I'm willing to give it another try.

Shel

Shel,

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I agree that that it is a bid tough to get into. There is  a lot of back history, names and places (being set in Sweden) but once you get past that it is a very good read. It took me longer than usual to read it but it was well worth it in the end.

I am also having a hard time with this book. I've read reviews stating how this book is hard to put down. I am a ~100 pgs into the story - the corporate financial background is boring me. I am trusting my fellow readers and hoping the story line gets better...meanwhile, trying not to skim.
Goodreads ID: dinib
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I too read The Blue Notebook.  I thought it was quite thought provoking.   Right now I have two books going, John Adams by David McCallough and the 5th installment of an Authorian series by Jack Whyte  The Fort at River's Bend.  It is historical fiction which details Britian in the times when Authur may have lived.  Not the fairy tail story.  I think Whyte does accurate research to make the story believable. 

MG

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Re: new book club format

Thayer wrote:

Just curious as to everyones's thoughts on the new online book club format?  Just when I got comfy with navigating the old site! Oh well, change is good-right?   :smileywink:

I am having a terrible time with this new format.  Signing in is difficult, and the messages are different. The reply and post buttons are different and the type is smaller.  Not liking this at all.

MG

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I just came across this 2004 interview with Sarah Blake. She was in the midst of writing "The Postmistress" then. By the way, if you google her, add the word "author" or "writer" to her name to minimize the large internet presence of "the other" Sarah Blake.

If the link doesn't work I will blame it on the new format. I tried to post in "About Sarah Blake" and wasn't successful with the link.

The American | In Italia: Profiles: Writers: Sarah Blake

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

I just came across this 2004 interview with Sarah Blake. She was in the midst of writing "The Postmistress" then. By the way, if you google her, add the word "author" or "writer" to her name to minimize the large internet presence of "the other" Sarah Blake.

If the link doesn't work I will blame it on the new format. I tried to post in "About Sarah Blake" and wasn't successful with the link.

Thanks for the link - always interesting to get some insight into the author.  Seems as though it took a while to get the book published...the excerpt was tantalizing.  Can't wait to get started!

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It works. thanks!

Sunltcloud wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now? (P. Gregory?)

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Now......Philippa Gregory is coming to talk here in just over a week.  After reading about her, I'm kind of interested. She has a Ph.D in Literature (which is what I was working on before wee ones came along) and has managed to steep herself in history.  I'm thinking the two should make for an interesting presentation.  What do you think?

I've also not read any of her books.  Some say they are really good, but the Harlequin covers turn me off each time I consider purchasing one.  Can anyone speak on the value of reading her novels?  I do like historical fiction...

I've participated in several month long discussions here on B&N with Philippa Gregory.  Her books are wonderful.  They are well researched, but not dry and uninteresting.  I have not read the Wideacre books, which don't seem to be my type of book, but her others are worth reading.  She is great to chat with also.  She is very knowledgable.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

kpatton wrote:

BSC42 wrote:

HI!

My son is going post-secondary his senior year of highschool and his college English class is reading The Giver.  I am borrowing it and going to read it along with him!

I read The Giver several years ago when Nancy Pearl lead a reading discussion group through the University of Minnesota.  It is a marvelous read.  You'll definitely want to find someone to talk with when you finish it.

Kathy

Yes I agree. My son and I read this together last year for his school and it was absolutely the most thought provoking book I think I have ever read!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ChrisB_NJ wrote:

My daughter and son-in-law recently moved out of my home and into their 1st home. I've reorganized my books only to discover I need more shelves in my wall unit!  I've never been able to figure out why I have such an obsession to own books instead of using the public library. If you decide to go to an island, please count me in!     :smileyvery-happy: 

By the time we all arrive at the Island with our books, we'll need a new island :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I have so many books they are stashed just about everywhere in my house and yet I still find more to buy and borrow!  I recently finished a bunch of books during my week long trip to the beach, some were great and some only so so.  The Year Of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion was interesting and not as depressing as I'd feared, Bad Moon Rising by Sherrilynn Kenyon was good but not as good as some others in the Dark Hunter series, Mates, Dates and Cosmic Kisses ended up being a YA novel which didn't quite do it for me and Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzgerald for the last FL Book Club which I very much enjoyed.  Currently I am reading both White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison and Summer on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber and am looking forward to reading Diana Gabaldon's latest addition to the saga of Jamie and Claire later this month as well as the latest by Christine Feehan.  I long for a day to sit for a few hours and just read (I think I'll be getting off the computer in a few minutes to do just that!)

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

cqconner wrote:

I'm currently reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, and rereading Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland with my book club that I just formed. The Ilatter is one of my favorites of all time. I don't know what is so special about it to me, but I absolutely love it. I feel like it is one of those diamonds in the rough.

I read Girl in Hyacinth Blue several years ago and had forgotten it and how much I enjoyed it until you mentioned it.  I agree-it is a wonderful book.
Kathy

Contributor
lindareadsLH
0 Kudos

Hi, I have been on barnes and noble forever but everything screwed up when I tried to change my email address. I couldn't get back on so I opened another account . I was Kiakar.  I love to read the books on New Look but its getting so confusing

trying to get on the clubs.  Everything is forever changing.

Someone mentioned Philippa Gregory Books and I wanted to say I have read most all of them. I just finished "A Respectable Trade" and thoroughly enjoyed this novel.. I read "The Virgin's Lover,The Queen's Fool,The other Boelyn Girl and a couple others I can't think of the titles. Mostly they are about Henry the eighth, The Tudor Rule in England.The Respectable Trade was of slavery that went on in England around the time that the states were transporting slavery also.

It was a very heartwarming book.  It kept you glued to the pages as if you were falling off a clift. She is a very good writer. She has been  on Barnes and Nobles bookclubs alot but not in recent months.

I have also started Dorothea Frank's Newest " Return to Sullivan's Island".  That is really good also. Some people tell me,  they do not like it as well as some of her others but I am very well engrossed in the story.  And love all of her other novels also.

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

I have a question for several of you in this FL group.  Several of you have blogs.  I have been thinking about creating a blog site but don't know anything about them.  Can you give me some suggestions.  I know in one of the posts when someone complimented a blog site the designer noted a source to get started but I can't seem to find the post now that I want it.  Seems easier to ask the question and hope the right people will see it.

I also want to thank the person who posted about Fall into Reading 2009.  I went to the site today.  It sounds like a fun challenge.  Not sure if I will join but it may be the incentive to get a blog page started.

Kathy

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy. I use blogspot.com for my blog. It requires a gmail address, but that should be easy enough to set up. Then, the site helps you set up your blog. It is fun and interesting. :smileyhappy:

kpatton wrote:

I have a question for several of you in this FL group.  Several of you have blogs.  I have been thinking about creating a blog site but don't know anything about them.  Can you give me some suggestions.  I know in one of the posts when someone complimented a blog site the designer noted a source to get started but I can't seem to find the post now that I want it.  Seems easier to ask the question and hope the right people will see it.

I also want to thank the person who posted about Fall into Reading 2009.  I went to the site today.  It sounds like a fun challenge.  Not sure if I will join but it may be the incentive to get a blog page started.

Kathy

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear you had to change your account. I wonder if it has to do with the changes made recently.

Now that you can log in, you should at least let them know.

You would think you could change your email address without a lot of fuss.

Anyway glad you are here for this first look book.

pen21

lindareadsLH wrote:

Hi, I have been on barnes and noble forever but everything screwed up when I tried to change my email address. I couldn't get back on so I opened another account . I was Kiakar.  I love to read the books on New Look but its getting so confusing

Someone mentioned Philippa Gregory Books and I wanted to say I have read most all of them. I just finished "A Respectable Trade" and thoroughly enjoyed this novel.. I read "The Virgin's Lover,The Queen's Fool,The other Boelyn Girl and a couple others I can't think of the titles. Mostly they are about Henry the eighth, The Tudor Rule in England.The Respectable Trade was of slavery that went on in England around the time that the states were transporting slavery also.

It was a very heartwarming book.  It kept you glued to the pages as if you were falling off a clift. She is a very good writer. She has been  on Barnes and Nobles bookclubs alot but not in recent months.

I have also started Dorothea Frank's Newest " Return to Sullivan's Island".  That is really good also. Some people tell me,  they do not like it as well as some of her others but I am very well engrossed in the story.  And love all of her other novels also.

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

ChrisB_NJ wrote:

My daughter and son-in-law recently moved out of my home and into their 1st home. I've reorganized my books only to discover I need more shelves in my wall unit!  I've never been able to figure out why I have such an obsession to own books instead of using the public library. If you decide to go to an island, please count me in!     :smileyvery-happy: 

If you ever figure out why you have that obsession, let me know, because I have the same one.  I do try to buy some that I borrowed that I just  'have to have'  from yard sales, goodwill, etc.  But that is just not always possible and I have to have it NOW! before I even borrow it from the library!

Reserve my spot on that island, please.  I presume that it will be a nice tropical island, with the island breezes!  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

ChrisB_NJ wrote:

By the time we all arrive at the Island with our books, we'll need a new island :smileyvery-happy:

And there will be plenty of duplicate copies of books!  :smileyvery-happy:  But that's Ok, I just want to be on that island!

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

lindareadsLH wrote:

Uh-oh, another book to add to my TBR pile- "Return to Sullivan's Island"  I seem to remember that it needed more...   I do llike her books; they are GREAT beach books!

-Sir Richard Steele

Contributor
BSC42
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kpatton wrote:

BSC42 wrote:

HI!

My son is going post-secondary his senior year of highschool and his college English class is reading The Giver.  I am borrowing it and going to read it along with him!

I read The Giver several years ago when Nancy Pearl lead a reading discussion group through the University of Minnesota.  It is a marvelous read.  You'll definitely want to find someone to talk with when you finish it.

Kathy

Yes I agree. My son and I read this together last year for his school and it was absolutely the most thought provoking book I think I have ever read!

My son just finished and I'm just starting. He said he was not thrilled with the ending so now I'm excited to get reading!