New User
MamaShepp
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Thanks for the insight, Sarah.  It is truly my pleasure to be reading this book.  So beautifully written and a unique look at a war that I would have thought had previously been explored from every angle.  I can't wait for the public to get their hands on this book!

New User
blesstheirheartsmom

Sarah,

I LOVED the bok- I read it within 2 days of receiving it even though I was in the middle of 2 other book reviews- I just couldnt put it down.

I think it has ALOT to say about our history that is relevent for today.

I wish there was a sequel- would be nice to see what happened to all your lovely characters!

Distinguished Correspondent
emmagrace
0 Kudos

Thanks for the note and thanks for allowing us to read your book!

Contributor
RNData_GK
0 Kudos

Sarah, the pleasure is mine. This is my first First Look book . What an amazing experience to read your book for my first First Look book. Thank you for sharing your experience writing this novel. You've managed to transport us to the 1940's by your vivid descriptions of events and characters. Looking forward to more discussions about your book.

Gigi K.

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

I have been seeing these abrupt changes in scenes and characters lately in the books I've been reading. It might be a trend or like you said, Jo, the many moves Sarah made that interrupted the writing. 

What I do, while reading, is keep a tablet next to me and when new info or characters appear I make a short note to refer back to later when they reappear. It has been helping and I am enjoying my reading and forgetful mind much more.

Cora 

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Coral50 wrote:

I have been seeing these abrupt changes in scenes and characters lately in the books I've been reading. It might be a trend or like you said, Jo, the many moves Sarah made that interrupted the writing. 

What I do, while reading, is keep a tablet next to me and when new info or characters appear I make a short note to refer back to later when they reappear. It has been helping and I am enjoying my reading and forgetful mind much more.

Cora 

And, Sarah, I am enjoying your writing style and story. Thank you for giving us this 'First Look' so we can review The Postmistress. I look forward to sharing my insights and feelings with you.

Cora

Inspired Contributor
jbnie
0 Kudos

Sarah, thank you for a magnificent book. Your insights and your characters are a pleasure to read. You make your descriptions, of people and places, come alive  throughout the story. THere were times when I was on the bus, train, street, beach or wherever  Iris and Frank were. THank you for that. I have not read many books where I can say this. Keep on writing, I want to read more of your prose ! :smileyhappy: Jane

Sarah-Blake wrote:

It's a deep satisfaction to address you-to know that you are out there reading! I am thrilled (and a bit terrified) to think of you bent over my book in the next few weeks, your eyes on these pages, considering. But then I look forward tremendously to the conversation that follows once you have finished. What a privilege, and what a pleasure, for me to have been asked to join the First Look Book Club.

The book you hold in your hands has taken a long while to come through the many thickets of false starts, dead ends, and sudden flashes of insight that demand yet another draft. I have been living with my characters-Iris and Frankie and Emma-for as long as my second child has been alive; in the past eight years I have moved from one state to another, then out of the country and back again, always carrying these women, the London Blitz, the refugees of Europe, in my head. And the crystal summer of 1941, before this country went to war, hovered there at the back of my mind while the present days saw the US invasion of Iraq, the 2006 bombing of Lebanon, and then the election of Barack Obama, a wartime leader whose eloquence seems to reach the old-fashioned, stately heights of Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill.

So it has been with a curious kind of double vision that I have experienced the events of these last several years. And it occurred to me, as I wrote and watched, that though we may be told we are in "historic times," it is nearly impossible to know what that means. What that means on a personal, immediate level, that is. THE POSTMISTRESS, by dint of its long gestation, evolved from a single question-what would happen if a postmistress didn't deliver the mail?-to my fascination with characters caught off guard by war. Caught, that is, in the web of history.

Thank you for being this story's first readers. I so look forward to hearing how it catches you.

Sarah Blake

Contributor
HannaintheTriad
0 Kudos

Sarah - I'm glad to know you'll be with us on this journey.  I'm about 3/4 through - fantastic.  I'm excited to participate in the discussions.

Reader 2
LUVS2READ08
0 Kudos

Sarah,  Thank you for sharing these wonderful characters with us!  I am in love with this book and am having a hard time putting it down.  It is such a beautifully written book.  I can see the places you bring us and hear the sounds of the bombs and the crashing of the ocean, the flag pole in the centre of town,  I can not wait to finish this book and see where it takes me, but on the other hand I know I will miss all the people of the book when I put it down.  Thank you

Frequent Contributor
MomforrestMO
0 Kudos

Thank-you for what promises to be a great read.  I am enjoying the very descriptive setting of the novel.

MomforrestMO
Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce

Sarah,

What a delightful letter!

It is always a pleasure to have some insight on where a novel began and developed from.  As a literature and reading teacher, I try to give my students some information about the novel and author that we are reading - to help "grab" them before we read.  Your letter has been just such a thing for me!

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to read your novel before it gets published.  I hope that you enjoy the interaction that you will receive from our group!

Readingly yours,

Claudia

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Re: question for Sarah Blake

Hi Sarah,

I have a question. I live on the Cape. I have searched the Cape for the towns you mentioned but they don't exist. There is a Franklin on the south shore but not on the Cape. The whole cape is only about 67.5 miles of roadway from Buzzard's Bay to Provincetown. There is a harbor in Wellfleet too, which is a really nice town and also in Chatham and Falmouth. Were you basing the Franklin on any of these places? Chatham is about 40 miles from Buzzard's Bay and it is a beautiful town on the water. Why did you place your story on the Cape but in an imaginary town? Were you trying to capture the essence of the Cape?

twj

Frequent Contributor
mgorbatjuk
0 Kudos

Thanks for offering your book as a first read book. I'm really enjoying it. It's giving me a different perspective of WW2 that I wouldn't have had had I not read this book.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Perhaps Sarah doesn't want to be sued TWJ!:smileyhappy:  Harry's daily watch for German submarines made me wonder if the location was Orleans because there was a U-boat attack off that shore in WWI.  Also, it occurred to me that the author used  Cape Cod because it has a large number of English town names so it resonates with England and the action over there. And did Frankie, who was a real person, actually go to Cape Cod to recuperate, so was that the reason for its use?   No doubt Sarah will reveal all. 
How wonderful that we have readers here from Cape Cod, Germany and England! 

thewanderingjew wrote:

Hi Sarah,

I have a question. I live on the Cape. I have searched the Cape for the towns you mentioned but they don't exist. There is a Franklin on the south shore but not on the Cape. The whole cape is only about 67.5 miles of roadway from Buzzard's Bay to Provincetown. There is a harbor in Wellfleet too, which is a really nice town and also in Chatham and Falmouth. Were you basing the Franklin on any of these places? Chatham is about 40 miles from Buzzard's Bay and it is a beautiful town on the water. Why did you place your story on the Cape but in an imaginary town? Were you trying to capture the essence of the Cape?

twj

Contributor
letsread2SC
0 Kudos

Sarah,

Thank-you for your candor in sharing your anticipation of our reading THE POSTMISTRESS,' your "gift" in story to this month's First Look readers.  I have warmed to your characters and "traveled" through their life experiences as I read the first half of the book, eagerly anticipating the conclusion. I appreciate knowing that the book has taken years to develop and feel that your research into the historical events represented is tendered by your living out today's world experiences.

Looking forward to future discussions,

Sharon

Books are a friend which never imposes, but is always with you only slightly less intimately
than God. ~ Brockeim

Sharon

He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. ~ Barrow ~
Frequent Contributor
bettymac

I too like to make notes as I read. I write them in the back blank pages or inside the front cover...that way I don't have to keep up with paper or tablet. It also is beneficial to friends that I loan the book to.

Thank you for the details you shared about the writing of this novel, Sarah, I am enjoying it and look forward to the discussions with the group and with you. As a high school English teacher for 35 years, I often wished I could talk to the authors. Now that I am retired, one of my passions is putting myself in a situation to talk to writers about their books and their techniques for writing.  I have been lucky to be involved with quite a few of the First Look Books and also am able to attend readings by many main-stream writers through our local independent book store, Quail Ridge Books and Music, in Raleigh, NC...

Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Contributor
jenniferu
0 Kudos

It was certainly a pleasure to read this book.  It must have been a work of love to write this book and as with anything you create or work on, a little scary to have it out there.  You have created a wonderful book and I thank you for letting us read it first.

Contributor
BusyMom
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for sharing your work with us humble readers.  The story totally drew me in, and was very believable and compelling.  I look forward to reading more of your work.

Be Yourself. Be Beautiful.
Contributor
pattycakeMN
0 Kudos

Dear Sarah,

I am totally enthralled with your book, and want to read every spare moment I have.  I love the look back to the 1940's and how you have made the characters come alive.   I look forward to more discussion.

Patricia

Contributor
CD33
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for sharing your novel with us! I am looking forward to reading the story and now have an even deeper appreciation for it since reading your letter.