Contributor
spaced57
0 Kudos

Re: Final Thoughts

Jo6353 wrote:

Rachel-K wrote:

Hi, all. Please use this thread to share any of your last thoughts on The Postmistress with the group. What do you think will remain your strongest impression from this novel? Is there a scene or a passage that will stick with you especially?

The scene when the doctor and Frankie leave the shelter and then he gets hit by the cab left a lasting impression on me. Life is so fleeting! They were living day to day in a war zone and he got hit by a cab because he wasn't looking where he was going!  Ironic!

I agree...That scene when he gets hit by the cab was troubling for me, like you said, after all that they go through with the war zone, and for one fleeting moment when he may have been thinking of something else and didn't look, and Poof! Gone. It's truly is ironic.

Contributor
spaced57
0 Kudos

I had a difficult time with this book compared to the last two. I couldn't seem to get "Into it" so to speak.

I felt a huge let down especially with the letter. And then with Frankie and the Cab etc.

I liked reading about WW2 era though and the other things involved with that time.

I found this book to be depressing for me. Maybe I'll read it again at a later time and see if

I still feel this way?

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

spaced57 wrote:

Jo6353 wrote:

Rachel-K wrote:

Hi, all. Please use this thread to share any of your last thoughts on The Postmistress with the group. What do you think will remain your strongest impression from this novel? Is there a scene or a passage that will stick with you especially?

The scene when the doctor and Frankie leave the shelter and then he gets hit by the cab left a lasting impression on me. Life is so fleeting! They were living day to day in a war zone and he got hit by a cab because he wasn't looking where he was going!  Ironic!

I agree...That scene when he gets hit by the cab was troubling for me, like you said, after all that they go through with the war zone, and for one fleeting moment when he may have been thinking of something else and didn't look, and Poof! Gone. It's truly is ironic.

But then that is how General Patton was killed - by a cart that had nothing to do with the war.  Stuff like that happens.

MG

Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

The Postmistress was reviewed in the current  Feb issue of Bookpage thebook review newspaper given away for free in many libraries.

Perhaps someone more computer savvy than I could access their webiste and reprint it here or set up the link

it is BOOKPAGE.COM

under historical fiction.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

deannafrances wrote:

The Postmistress was reviewed in the current  Feb issue of Bookpage thebook review newspaper given away for free in many libraries.

Perhaps someone more computer savvy than I could access their webiste and reprint it here or set up the link

it is BOOKPAGE.COM

under historical fiction.

Here it is:

http://www.bookpage.com/books-10012897-The+Postmistress

gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

The NY Times reviewed The Postmistress on Feb 8.

Here's the link to the positive review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/09/books/09book.html?ref=books

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

I'm really really late getting into the discussion. I bit off more than I could chew with school so wasn't able to participate during the posted discussion time. BUT, I still wanted to adhere to my obligation and just finished this ARC. I'll have to say I haven't read any of the other discussion though (overwhelming!) when I write this.

I was quickly drawn into the story but kept trying to figure out where it was going. I tend to enjoy stories like this anyway--multiple characters concurrent in multiple settings as long as they are clearly defined. I think Blake did a good job of doing this. I was never confused as to voice or place as I've been in some books. I also think Blake did a nice job of doing more than just "skimming the top" of most of the characters although I would have liked to have known more about Harry and  little more about Iris, but Harry's history definitely was a hole for me.

I kept getting frustrated throughout the story trying to figure out the "withholding of the mail". I kept thinking, "Okay, when is this big event going to happen and what will the ramifications be?" Of course, I kept looking towards Iris for the action and it didn't even occur to me to look to someone else. Kudos, to Blake for that nice twist in perspective.

My only suggestion, it got a little slow in the last 20-30 pages and I almost put it down thinking, "Okay, this was a good story but what was the point of the title and the teaser?" Suppose the author could have enhanced the story a little more in these last pages or so to keep a reader's mind from wandering.