Contributor
brainlair

Re: First Impressions

We are preparing to study The Holocaust in one our 8th grade English classes.  The students will be reading Night and The Book Thief.  I just finished reading Night and will start The Book Thief this week.  As much as you can "enjoy" a book about war, I think this book is a beautiful, slow read.  You can't rush through it and yet it is vivid and informative.  It gives me yet another view of things we should never forget. 

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. ~Jorge Luis Borges
Contributor
letsread2SC

Since this was my first experience with First Look, I was a little anxious, but have since calmed and loved receiving my copy of THE POSTMISTRESS. I really appreciate reading Sarah Blake's intro letter and now am more entrenched into the two main settings of the first section of the book. The characters are taking on more "skin" and the situations making the story so alive to me.

Sharon

Books are a friend which never imposes, but is always with you only slightly less intimately than God.  Brockeim

Sharon

He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. ~ Barrow ~
Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
0 Kudos

BSC42's post about the first couple of chapters being hard to get into (did I interpret that correctly?  I don't want to put unintended thoughts in someone else's mouth) made me feel a lot better.  I didn't begin reading upon receipt of my copy.  I like to wait and read with the schedule of topics.  I waited until this week to begin and I am having such a hard time getting into the story.  I trust that the story will pick up and I will find myself gripped.  Until then, I am feeling as though I am forcing myself to read.  I, too, read at lunch and, so far, I am not late getting back.  I hope I will smack myself in the head over the great plot soon.

gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

I thoroughly enjoyed what I've read of The Postmistress! 

I thought that the description of the doctor's visit was so well done and gave me such a clear idea of Iris - both as she is seen by strangers and through her own thoughts.  I also enjoyed how Sarah Blake first introduced the doctor's wife when she described Iris's impression her and their first meeting.

I wasn't able to stick to the schedule - I ended up staying up until the early morning because I couldn't stop reading.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

I was not immediately hooked like I have been with many of the First Look selections, but it did not take me long to become enthralled with Sarah Blake's beautifully written imagery and character development.  Each page drew me more into the story and the life of each character.  Many posts indicated that there was confusion with the sudden change in setting or characters, but I actually found that this technique added to the interest of the writing.  Simultaneously, being able to envision the three main characters, Frankie, Iris, and Emma illustrated how different these characters and their situations really were, yet they were all living in the same time period.  Unique lives, all searching for meaning, and yes love, in their very own, unique way.   

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Contributor
CatholicKittie

[ Edited ]

The first thing I loved about the book, was how it is all being told. It is unfolding by little snap shots of peoples lives, but with words from a lot of perspectives. Though at first it took awhile for me to get into with the "wait who is this person narrating" thing but once I got into the flow, its hard to stop reading.  I eventually came to love the switchy narrative because it makes me sort of understand the unkown factor of how those times must have felt.  The confusion of what was coming next.  War time is not organized, there is the jumpiness of the unknown and the what next.  So the technique fits this story perfectly.

The world being painted and told is haunting and I am there as I sit safely in my house, I start to expect to hear planes and the bombing, like I am in London. I live by an airport so I hear plans A LOT! I nearly jumped out my seat one night because of this book. My cat thought I was a little crazy too.

So far I am impressed and taken with it!  The characters are strong.  I love the female characters and how strong they are, even though it varies in the degrees of their strength they have. 

Casse

http://catholickittie.blogspot.com
I am a writer. One thing I’ve learned in the course of my career is that what makes a writer is...Writing. Not talking about writing or hanging out with writers, not publicity or promotion or social networking, not even getting published. Writers write. We put into words whatever is true or interesting, titillating or inspiring, entertaining or provoking. That is our job. That defines us. If we get lucky, we get paid. But there is value and dignity in the work, whether we are driven by an inner need or the need for a paycheck, whether we make money at it or not.
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

letsread2SC, I like your take on this book. I am enjoying this read. I like the varied books we get to read in this club. I am looking forward to finding out what is going to happen. I like the small town feel of the book. Yes, I too liked the inro. IT made me wonder why the Postmistress choose that letter to keep. I guess I will find out.

I love the quote you put on your message. Books are friends who are always there for you. You can ingore them and they are still there just waiting for you to open them up and read them.

I am sure that you will like being in this club. I know that I do. This is my fifth book and I have loved all the books I have read.  So just relax and enjoy the experience, you won't regret it.

Happy Reading

ReadingPatti

Contributor
booknerdsnet

My first impressions are all good! I love the writing, and how Sara is able to make each of the characters stand out from the rest. There's so much going on in the book that at first I was mildly afraid at first I'd get mixed up and confused by the end of it, but I didn't and it all worked itself out. I love how Sara managed to switch between characters and regions with such ease, I was never confused about who I was with when she made the transistion. Above all else I was absolutely impressed with the imagery used throughout The Postmistress, and in my personal opinion the imagery in a book like this, or in books involving the past is the most important thing. In order for me to relate, or be able to relate to the characters I have to be able to see their world as they see it, and feel the things they feel. With The Postmistress, I almost felt as if I could close my eyes and feel the breeze coming in from the ocean.

dhaupt

CatholicKittie wrote:

The first thing I loved about the book, was how it is all being told. It is unfolding by little snap shots of peoples lives, but with words from a lot of perspectives. 

I felt the same way about the telling of the story.

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I had a little trouble getting into the story at first.  After chater 4 it seemed to flow well.  It is like the author wants to get everything out on paper first and then go on with the story.  I do like the way Sarah visualizes the time frame.  The scenes are all from the '40's.  She has done an excellent job with the setting.

MG

Contributor
stkong7
0 Kudos

The book is really good.  I love the descriptive writing style.  I must admit that at first it was hard to keep up with the different characters, the way the author went from one character's story to the other.  But I think it pulled together nicely. 

Reader 2
autumnSC
0 Kudos

I began reading The Postmistress last week.  I have enjoyed getting to know the cast characters.  The imagery is quite captivating, and I feel as if I am in England during the bombings or on the lovely Cape during an era of which I am unfamiliar.  I am making steady progress and looking forward to specific questions.

Happy reading!

Stephanie

Contributor
shannonbh
0 Kudos

I just visited D.C. this past weekend.  The book had already brought the war close to home, and visiting The Smithsonian and The Holocaust Memorial and Museum deepened my appreciation for this time in our history.  We cannot forget - ever - the tragedies of this war - of ANY war.  I am loving this book so far for how palpable the people are - how true their stories.   I like truth in story, and that is what I sense in The Postmistress.  Beautiful job, Ms. Blake.  I will comment more in the chapter sections so as not to be a spoiler!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

dhaupt, I feel the same way. It gives you a different perpectives and take on what this story is going to be about. I am liking this book. I must get caught up. I always seem to be behind. I am going to do some major reading this week.

I think that these snap shots will give us a better understanding of the characters and create a story that will be woven together to give us a great read.

ReadingPatti

Frequent Contributor
luvmykiddos
0 Kudos

I've had a little bit of a hard time getting into this book. Partically because my schedule isn't as condusive as I thought it would be. I'm still not thrown off of it though like I normally would be by now. And that has to do with the authors ability.... even though parts are feeling a little slow I'm still into the story and the details, which have been laid out and delivered uniquely. The cover is beautlful. It is so feminine and just perfect at giving you a since of what will be in the story w/o reading it yet!

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

My very first impression was of the cover which I thought was very beautiful. When I started to read the book I could not get the rhythm at all. I didn't understand the changing in the scenes and characters. I found the narrative confusing until I read here about the radio being the common thread that changes the scene. Now I get it and I am enjoying it. Those first 2 chapters were a hodge podge until I caught on.  I am curious to see how these characters will play into each others lives.

Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Contributor
CD33
0 Kudos

I love so far how Sarah describes living in two different places in wartime.  I became aware of the suffering and confusion that was being experienced in Europe through the chapters and at the same time felt the apprehension while the States were waiting in fear for the war to hit them.  I cant wait to read more!

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Don't give up on the book.  It took me a while to get into it as well.  I was reading several books with a totally different style of writing and this one threw me off with the jumping around of characters in the beginning.  The book becomes more cohesive the further you get into it.  The characters become more real and the descriptions of the area and of the war become more clear.

I hope you stick with it.  Happy reading!

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

this book has been really hard for me to get into and its not really keeping my interest.

I'm not really feeling this book as much as the others but maybe that is because this subject doesn't really hit home to me as much as some other people...i will try to read on and see if gets  better and interesting.

Contributor
sjs82489
0 Kudos

very strong first impression :smileyhappy: