Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

I have my issues with Iris as well.  She wasn't really my favorite character.  Down the line the author tried to develop the character a little bit more but not quite enough.

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
Contributor
LKD_726
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed this book from start to finish.  I liked the time period and I found the characters, especially Frankie, to be really interesting.

Contributor
amt19
0 Kudos

It was slow going for me in the beginning.

Good story just slow to catch my interest.

Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

I've been late in finishing the book but I'm going to catch up this week. First thing I wanted to say was that I'm grateful the story about the war period was told from the perspective of the women. War effects everyone and I'm glad we had a chance to see this war in a different window.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

The prologue definitely got me interested, but the first couple of chapters introduced some very interesting characters. I was undeniably intrigued by a woman who would feel it necessary (and normal?) to get examined by a doctor to prove her, shall we say, virtue. Perhaps it had something to do with her age? Perhaps it wouldn't be believable that someone her age could have been able to stay intact all those years?

Contributor
lhays
0 Kudos

My first impression with "The Postmistress" is very positive. I love the way the story brings you into the lives of the people in 1940. The writing style is fantastic. My heart broke when Frankie reported about Billy's mother and Harriet dying in the Blitz. When Emma remembered about her own experiences with losing her parents. Emma wanted to be able to do something to help in London but wasn't prepared when Will chose to go. Sarah Blake has done a wonderful job telling the stories of the people of WW2.

Contributor
sailorreader
0 Kudos

Regarding the bus ride to the Cape.  I took the bus from Boston to the Cape this past season and this book made me feel like I was riding along and living in the 40's as well.

I was somewhat confused about what was happening at the Dr's office and why this story in the book was/is necessary.  It seems to me to be a fragment and a thought that didn't get completed.

I think it is easy to forget, or maybe not even have known, what mail was or is.  The thought that a letter could be delayed by the post office or maybe not have been delivered made my mind wander.  In today's email environment, it's a part of history that comes alive in this book.  Hopefully those reading the book who have never known anything but email will be enlightened by this story line.

I

sailorreader
Contributor
mckenziet
0 Kudos

Based on the cover alone, The Postmistress looks to be amazing. I absolutely love the dried purple rose on top of the postcards. The lettering is pretty, as is the slight decoration beneath the title. What a great cover!

B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

I too was kind of disappointed with the first part of the book, but reading through everyone's thoughts, maybe I will try again.  The cover of the book and the premise drew me in but the first couple of chapters had my mind wandering.  Will try again.

Dana W.
Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

I loved how visual this book was, how easy it was to follow the great descriptions.

ct