Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

The Postmistress is a NY Times Bestseller!

Everyone from Newsday to the Washington Post to the Chrsitian Science Monitor agrees that the Postmistress is not to be missed.

Many thanks to all you First Lookers for getting the buzz started!!

pen21
0 Kudos

Re: The Postmistress is a NY Times Bestseller!

It was a good book. I am glad to hear that.

My daughter is reading the book now.

She saw the cover and I told her a little about the book and off it went to college with her.

pen21

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I saw it featured in the most recent issue of People magazine. I lent my copy to a friend who enjoyed it and then donated it to a book blogger who does ARC book tours so that more people could get a chance to read it.  Just seeing a book sit makes me kind of sad.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Our local library was sponsoring a discussion of

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson.  Since it is the story of locating a sunken German submarine off the shores of New Jersey and it reminded me of The Postmistress, I picked it up to read.

Shadow Divers is jam packed with more information about diving than I want to know, so I have decided to only skim the book.  But, the detail adds credibility, and it is a fascinating discovery story, with rivalries between divers and all the way through to the decision by one of the divers to take information about the find back to the families of the sailors in Germany.  The U-boat was officially reported to have been lost off Gilbalter, if my rapid reading hasn't caused me to miss something.

As I understand it, the story has also been the subject of a TV documentary. 

If at all interested in the subject matter, I do quite recommend the book.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Our local library was sponsoring a discussion of

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson.  Since it is the story of locating a sunken German submarine off the shores of New Jersey and it reminded me of The Postmistress, I picked it up to read.

Shadow Divers is jam packed with more information about diving than I want to know, so I have decided to only skim the book.  But, the detail adds credibility, and it is a fascinating discovery story, with rivalries between divers and all the way through to the decision by one of the divers to take information about the find back to the families of the sailors in Germany.  The U-boat was officially reported to have been lost off Gilbalter, if my rapid reading hasn't caused me to miss something.

As I understand it, the story has also been the subject of a TV documentary. 

If at all interested in the subject matter, I do quite recommend the book.

Pepper, I read that last year for my in-person book club. It read like a fast paced adventure novel. Really good and this from some one who doesn't care for non-fiction.

Also for Sneak Peek we're reading:

Seized 

It also reads like that and I really enjoyed learning about Max's life.